Alright I got an hour to kill(The Vita thread)

• 138 results
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
So I'm gonna start posting some threads, because this ghost town needs some adjustments.

So this can start off by being the official Vita thread for this board.

Nice little gadget, but like the 3DS what purpose does it serve? Why would I carry it around when I have an I-phone? Exactly.

Oh and Uncharted got a 7.0 clearly a sign here.
LegendofNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 LegendofNerd
Member since 2007 • 2140 Posts

Yeah, it's a nice looking device, but I'm not sold on it. None of the software is really enticing me either, but that may change a year (or two) from now.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Meh to handheld gaming. I'll stick to my ipad, ipod and android phone when the needs must.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

They needed to stick with the Xperia Play formula and just build on that (something like a proper ~4" touchscreen smartphone with a dock-type thing for the physical controls and extra battery life).

The only reason Nintendo has a chance is they can sell the 3DS for cheap and load it up with Nintendo franchises, so you eventually reach the point where any gamer can justify spending $120-150 for some more Mario/Zelda/*insert franchise here*. With Sony, not only do they have to deal with a flawed product (too expensive, no onboard storage, sh*tty UI, useless 3G) but they don't have anywhere near the franchises to support it (hooray for Resistance and Killzone spin-offs? (although now that I think about it, Killzone Liberation was easily the best game in the franchise).

And don't even get me started on those Ready at Dawn f*ckwads...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jg4xchamp
Meh to handheld gaming. I'll stick to my ipad, ipod and android phone when the needs must.blue_hazy_basic
>android phone I see nothing has changed since I've been gone.
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts

I learned my lesson from the PSP. This going to need a lot more good games before I even consider getting it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Getting mine on Wednesday. Don't take handhelds outside the house thus "gaming on the go" can suck it.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Getting mine in July.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
same reason I carry my 3DS, why do I want to kill my phone? :/ Plus with my 3DS streetpass becomes addicting, and since I work at an amusement park (the happiest place on Earth) I get so many streetpasses that I can finally feed my hunger for more HATS!! HATS PEOPLE!!!
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

I'm not impressed thus far but I might give it a shot down the line

...if it even survives that long :3

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I learned my lesson from the PSP. This going to need a lot more good games before I even consider getting it.

SpiritOfFire117

This is what I feel. I now have an iPhone and iPad, so I've got plenty to occupy my time. The only game right now that would really get my attention would be a new Valkyria Chronicles game.

Otherwise, nothing so far interests me.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I've used it and it's a nice little device. I won't consider buying it until a price drop.
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
The games actually have good controls. I can not stand using the touch screen on phones. After 10 or so minutes my arm feels like it broke :| Until phones get analog sticks and buttons I won't buy games for them.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#14 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
I don't even see the portability of handhelds as a factor anymore, since I virtually never bring them outside the house. I'm one of those types who plays handhelds in bed. So I don't care about the huegness of the Vita or even its battery life, I just want good games that aren't console ports. When/if it gets enough of those, and when/if it doesn't seem to be going down in flames commercially, I will get one.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

I don't even see the portability of handhelds as a factor anymore, since I virtually never bring them outside the house. I'm one of those types who plays handhelds in bed. So I don't care about the huegness of the Vita or even its battery life, I just want good games that aren't console ports. When/if it gets enough of those, and when/if it doesn't seem to be going down in flames commercially, I will get one.Cherokee_Jack

This man has read my mind

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I don't even see the portability of handhelds as a factor anymore, since I virtually never bring them outside the house. I'm one of those types who plays handhelds in bed. So I don't care about the huegness of the Vita or even its battery life, I just want good games that aren't console ports. When/if it gets enough of those, and when/if it doesn't seem to be going down in flames commercially, I will get one.Cherokee_Jack

Yeah, pretty much.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

Handheld gaming devices should not try to be mobile phones (N-Gage I'm looking at you).

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
The Vita is essentially everything wrong with Sony in a sleek plastic shell; completely out of touch with what people want, where the industry is heading and what people are willing to pay. Just like the PSP. Just like the PS3. /hatin'
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#19 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I'm getting one because unlike most here I actually do play a lot of handheld games. Hell I spent the entire week playing RE Revelations.

EDIT: 10K POST

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#20 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I barely have enough time to spend across my current systems. >.>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

The Vita is essentially everything wrong with Sony in a sleek plastic shell; completely out of touch with what people want, where the industry is heading and what people are willing to pay. Just like the PSP. Just like the PS3. /hatin'Ninja-Hippo
*looks at how much PSP and PS3 have sold*

lol nice hyperbole bro. 

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

The Vita is essentially everything wrong with Sony in a sleek plastic shell; completely out of touch with what people want, where the industry is heading and what people are willing to pay. Just like the PSP. Just like the PS3. /hatin'Ninja-Hippo

I hope you aren't serious.

I mean, no one who posts on a gufu forum could be this idiotic, right?

Don't answer that.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kage_53

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]The Vita is essentially everything wrong with Sony in a sleek plastic shell; completely out of touch with what people want, where the industry is heading and what people are willing to pay. Just like the PSP. Just like the PS3. /hatin'jechtshot78

I hope you aren't serious.

I mean, no one who posts on a gufu forum could be this idiotic, right?

Don't answer that.

He is kind of right actually.

I'll say it again just like how i did in this article http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps-vita-devs-jumping-ship-largely-exaggerated-sony-6350538

"The Price matters more than anything. Go ahead and add a bunch of unnecessary features. Watch as you lose money for selling it at a still high price that few people only buy which is the case in Japan. Then devs starting jumping ship or going multiplat. This is how the PS3 started. I'm just telling it how it is. Average consumers don't care about those extra features especially in this bad economy."

Just for the record I got 13 upvotes and 1 downvote when I posted this. See that Jecht ? It's teh power of logic.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jechtshot78

He is kind of right actually.

"The Price matters more than anything. Go ahead and add a bunch of unnecessary features. Watch as you lose money for selling it at a still high price that few people only buy which is the case in Japan. Then devs starting jumping ship or going multiplat. This is how the PS3 started. I'm just telling it how it is. Average consumers don't care about those extra features especially in this bad economy."

Just for the record I got 13 upvotes and 1 downvote when I posted this. See that Jecht ? It's teh power of logic.

kage_53

You kids have spent too much time in system wars instead of living in the real world.

The power of logic tells me that there is a lot of illogical disdain towards everything in this world. So an article belittling something that someone either likes, or is indifferent towards will be easily overlooked. Ergo, they will not spend time looking at the predictably negative comments section.

Thus your upvotes and downvotes mean nothing at all because the audience is skewed.

Don't bother responding with any rebuttal, It will only look like mindless system wars drivel to me and everyone here who still possesses a brain.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]The Vita is essentially everything wrong with Sony in a sleek plastic shell; completely out of touch with what people want, where the industry is heading and what people are willing to pay. Just like the PSP. Just like the PS3. /hatin'Aljosa23

lol nice hyperbole bro.

*Looks at how much the PS1 and PS2 sold* *Look at third party support PS2 had* *Looks at DS sales* Job done.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="kage_53"]He is kind of right actually.

jechtshot78

You kids have spent too much time in system wars instead of living in the real world.

The power of logic tells me that there is a lot of illogical disdain towards everything in this world. So an article belittling something that someone either likes, or is indifferent towards will be easily overlooked. Ergo, they will not spend time looking at the predictably negative comments section.

Thus your upvotes and downvotes mean nothing at all because the audience is skewed.

Don't bother responding with any rebuttal, It will only look like mindless system wars drivel to me and everyone here who still possesses a brain.

Isn't mindlessly supporting something as opposed to bashing it still system wars drivel?
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kage_53

[QUOTE="kage_53"]He is kind of right actually.

jechtshot78

How is this mindless SW drivel :|

Are you telling me Vita would not be in a better position if didn't have not 1 but 2 cameras, used a different screen instead of OLED which costs a ton to make, no touch screen along with a bunch of other unnecessary crap ? Sony could have easily made it $200 at launch if they got rid of all of those stupid features and might have made some money of it. I thought they learned their lesson with the PS3 but I guess I was wrong.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#28 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

jechtshot78

I don't think SW is anywhere near representative of the gaming populace but I find the complaints about the Vita's unnecessary features and high price point to be perfectly valid. The Vita launched to lukewarm sales and has never gone above tepid since. In a market saturated by smartphones and iPod Touches and a strong competitor in the form of the 3DS, an already expensive $250 Vita is a hard sell, and that's before games and the overpriced proprietary memory cards, which puts you well over the $350 mark with just two games. Sure, I recognize that any game system is an investment but that still doesn't make my wallet feel any better about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]The Vita is essentially everything wrong with Sony in a sleek plastic shell; completely out of touch with what people want, where the industry is heading and what people are willing to pay. Just like the PSP. Just like the PS3. /hatin'Ninja-Hippo

lol nice hyperbole bro.

*Looks at how much the PS1 and PS2 sold* *Look at third party support PS2 had* *Looks at DS sales* Job done.

You never said anything about the DS or any of that other stuff in your original post so I'd prefer if you'd stop moving goal posts.

You said "completely out of touch with what people want...like the PSP. Just like the PS3" and the numbers speak differently regardless of how much the DS sold and what ever happened in the PS2 days.

dat internet hyperbole smh

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jechtshot78

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]*looks at how much PSP and PS3 have sold*

lol nice hyperbole bro.

Aljosa23

You never said anything about the DS or any of that other stuff in your original post so I'd prefer if you'd stop moving goal posts.

You said "completely out of touch with what people want...like the PSP. Just like the PS3" and the numbers speak differently regardless of how much the DS sold and what ever happened in the PS2 days.

All these posters know how to do is move goal posts.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

Holy crap, I have my account back, when did this happen.

Anyways, I got a Vita, and I want to reply to a few things. First of all, I would not want them to go non-OLED, the cameras are crappy, so they can remove them, but I don't want to sacrafice everything.

I feel the Vita is the best handheld in terms of look and functions, I was never a fan of dual screens, even if the DS had so many good games, few of them ever made neccessary use of the dual screens (save TWEWY).

The price will drop, and it will get more games, it would not make sense for most people to get it, but people should really not compare phone gaming to handheld gaming. One is to waste time, one is to play games, there are a few worthwhile phone games, but they will never compare to a gaming handheld device. I alternate taking 3DS and Vita to work on night shifts, but right now I have about the same amount of games I care for on each, except I've had one for a week and another for months.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kage_53

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] *Looks at how much the PS1 and PS2 sold* *Look at third party support PS2 had* *Looks at DS sales* Job done. jechtshot78

Really Jecht ? That seems to be what you're doing right now. You think you're right about the Vita and everyone else is wrong and you're not even making a counter argument. At least I can back up what I say. A stripped down Vita would have been better in the long run because it would be cheaper. Getting 17000 hardware sold in Japan is not going to get it done. Honestly, if I was a dev right now in Japan and I was looking at Vita's sales why would I want to make a game for it when the 3DS is so far ahead of the Vita with it's bigger audience and it constantly outsells it. And before you say Japan doesn't matter those devs do.

Oh well, I'm getting my Vita tommorow and maybe the 3DS in a couple of months. This year is shaping up to pretty pathetic when it comes to console games..

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 110million

Oh well, I'm getting my Vita tommorow and maybe the 3DS in a couple of months. This year is shaping up to pretty pathetic when it comes to console games..

kage_53

Tales of Graces, Ni No Kuni, Yakuza: Dead Souls,  Armor Core 5, SSX, Dragon's Dogma, for console only, looking decent so far I'd say, and we still have not had major gaming events. Nintendo tends to do a lot of 6 months before release announcements too. 

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kage_53
That's pretty much it, I'm only getting the first 3 you mentioned unless Ninja Gaiden 3 or Lollipop Chainsaw come out this year. Don't care about armored core and I don't really care about SSX all that much either though i did like SSX 3, The hell with Dragon's Dogma. I'm not buying another Crapcom game again ever. They are worse than Activision. I got a massive backlog so i guess the lack of games being released for the rest of the year might turn out to be good for me..
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 110million

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way about Dragon's Dogma, Capcom's stink just seems to ruin games no matter how good they may be, though Dragon's Dogma only looks like it would be fun if it had some actual online. Lollipop Chainsaw should be this year, considering the amount of advertising it got not long ago. 

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I'm have a PSP and DS and barely play those.
jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jechtshot78

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]You never said anything about the DS or any of that other stuff in your original post so I'd prefer if you'd stop moving goal posts.

kage_53

Really Jecht ? That seems to be what you're doing right now. You think you're right about the Vita and everyone else is wrong and you're not even making a counter argument. At least I can back up what I say. A stripped down Vita would have been better in the long run because it would be cheaper. Getting 17000 hardware sold in Japan is not going to get it done. Honestly, if I was a dev right now in Japan and I was looking at Vita's sales why would I want to make a game for it when the 3DS is so far ahead of the Vita with it's bigger audience and it constantly outsells it. And before you say Japan doesn't matter those devs do.

I already told you I wasn't going to waste my time responding in any meaningful form. Your opinion won't change.

Also, I never made an initial arguement for the vita, only mocked ninja downing sony just to down sony. Which is system wars idiocy rubbing off on him.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kage_53

Wow. Setting the Vita up is such a **** It couldn't let me link my PSN account. It can't connect to my internet because it somehow has a weak signal yet my pc says my signal strength is excellent, same with my PS3. Constantly saying I need to update the firmware then it take me back to the previous page during set up and repeats the process over and over.... Maybe I should have gotten the 3g version when I had the chance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Wow. Setting the Vita up is such a **** It couldn't let me link my PSN account. It can't connect to my internet because it somehow has a weak signal yet my pc says my signal strength is excellent, same with my PS3. Constantly saying I need to update the firmware then it take me back to the previous page during set up and repeats the process over and over.... Maybe I should have gotten the 3g version when I had the chance.

kage_53

Lawl, setting mine up took all but 10 seconds. I even did it again so I could download the Gravity Rush demo from the Hong Kong PSN store.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

kage_53

How far away are you from your router? Portable devices generally have shorter wi-fi ranges (for reasons I assume have to do with power consumption and antenna size), so you might just have to move closer to your router in order to maintain a strong signal.

Otherwise I'd assume you should be able to do things by connecting your Vita to your PC or PS3.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kage_53

[QUOTE="kage_53"]

Slow_Show

How far away are you from your router? Portable devices generally have shorter wi-fi ranges (for reasons I assume have to do with power consumption and antenna size), so you might just have to move closer to your router in order to maintain a strong signal.

Otherwise I'd assume you should be able to do things by connecting your Vita to your PC or PS3.

I think it's like 10 to 20 feet away. It doesn't have anything to do with portability because my phone has a super strong signal on it. It's just that Sony sucks at making wifi good for handhelds. Anyway I fixed it. I had to disconnect the wifi on two of my pc's and turn the wi-fi on my cell phone off.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 110million

I set mine up from 15 feet away and a few walls, sounds like it derped for a bit I guess. 

Also alj, I thought after you setup a PSN account on a vita, you can't change it, I haven't tried cause I read that. Were you able to go to setup the honk kong PSN then switch back to a regular one or did you have to swap memory sticks or something? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

I set mine up from 15 feet away and a few walls, sounds like it derped for a bit I guess.

Also alj, I thought after you setup a PSN account on a vita, you can't change it, I haven't tried cause I read that. Were you able to go to setup the honk kong PSN then switch back to a regular one or did you have to swap memory sticks or something?

110million

I saved all my settings and data on to my PC, went to reset Vita to factory settings, and just made a new account.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]*looks at how much PSP and PS3 have sold*

lol nice hyperbole bro.

Aljosa23

The DS selling vastly more than the PSP isn't suitable evidence that Sony don't know what people want? The PS3 selling vastly less than its predecessor isn't suitable evidence that Sony don't know what people want? Am i moving the goalposts are merely irritating you with all these reasonable, decently substantiated opinions?
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ninja-Hippo

I already told you I wasn't going to waste my time responding in any meaningful form. Your opinion won't change.

Also, I never made an initial arguement for the vita, only mocked ninja downing sony just to down sony. Which is system wars idiocy rubbing off on him.

jechtshot78

When did we turn into blubbering vaginas, guys? Let's address two of your salty tears right off the bat:

'ninja downing sony just to down sony.' Right, because i have a history of fanboyism amirite? Did i not simply make a reasonable criticism of Sony's modern performance in the videogame market, not knowing what people really want and being out of touch with the market? Why do you find that so offensive? Do you work for their marketing department?

Number two 'your opinion wont change.' Says who? What evidence is there to support that? If the PSVita dropped to $100 tomorrow i'd be saying it's the best value handheld of all time, why wouldn't i? This thread is like system wars circa five years ago; infantile.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 110million

Number two 'your opinion wont change.' Says who? What evidence is there to support that? If the PSVita dropped to $100 tomorrow i'd be saying it's the best value handheld of all time, why wouldn't i? This thread is like system wars circa five years ago; infantile.

Ninja-Hippo

So you're saying it would require to drop in price to lower than the parts it costs to make the 3DS with in order for you to consider it best value?

Fanboysim much? 

:P 

SevenzFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SevenzFlow
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]The Vita is essentially everything wrong with Sony in a sleek plastic shell; completely out of touch with what people want, where the industry is heading and what people are willing to pay. Just like the PSP. Just like the PS3. /hatin'Ninja-Hippo

lol nice hyperbole bro.

looks like we got a lemming 8) 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jg4xchamp

Given the success(yes I said success) of the PS3, The PSP, their genuine good track record with game critics(not saying much) it's hard to argue that sony is out of touch with the market.

Behind the curve? absolutely on the premise that they've been bested the past few years. Let's not forget however that Iwata full on was going on about how ashamed he was of the 3DS's initial response, or how much Nintendo has already screwed up because people are too stupid to understand the Wii U is a new console. So I don't see how a drop off means a company is out of touch.

The Vita's only real glaring issue is how it doesn't have a standard memory unit built in, or one that just came with the system. Outside of that it's a nice piece of tech, has 3G to boot, and has dual joysticks which Nintenod realized was stupid on their part not to have. Either way they are handhelds, and as far as I'm concerned they serve me no purpose until they get games worthy of note.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#49 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
I really do like the Vita, but I wish the nubs were like the 360's controller so that they'd feel a bit more comfortable on my thumbs.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 110million

I really do like the Vita, but I wish the nubs were like the 360's controller so that they'd feel a bit more comfortable on my thumbs.SpinoRaptor24

Yep. The 3DS one is quite nice. I wonder if it may feel a bit too loose for an FPS, but for any kind of general camera turning it's good.Â