Your favorite overall genre

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#51 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
RPG and Shooters
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"] Oh forgot the other part of your thread. Jrpgs, probably won't come back in the TB style you want because they are severely limited. Like in the U.S. with SS(lol), that was never intended to continue, it was to get around limitations in old wrpgs, and in certain games that seem to have issues handling too much going on without having separated battles. Like thing like the Dragon system in BOF3 and Materia in FF7 are really technically as far as the genre can really get without being unnecessary. TB combat can't go any further than a slightly nicer looking menu navigation and a side gimmick that can effect your moves, but otherwise it can;t really evolve much further and PSP and DS pure TB games this gen have shown this quite a lot. What I want is what your avatar did, go for the no loading screen approach to battles, but make it real-time, and maybe start with partial control of the characters in someway. But avoid the do nothing but press A/X route like FFXIII.Dj-Dampleaf

I understand what you are saying when you say they are extremely limited, but that is because not enough thought goes into some of them. I truly wish I could take the reigns as a lead designer or project manager. I am on my way, but my schooling is nowhere near complete. I am currently enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh going for a BA in Game Art & Design. I'm thinking about backing that up with at least an associates in English. That way even if I dont have wuite enough artistic ability (which some people seem to have naturally) I can use my writing skills to get me in the door as a professional reviewer or article writer.

If I had the power to make my own turn based RPG however, I think I could show everybody that it hasnt "already all been done." Look at the shooting genre... it has "evolved" (often times in a bad way) throughout the years. Turn based RPG's just need a bit of an overhaul with seamless loading times and a few other improvements to make a comeback. However like I already stated, it will probably be the most challenging however due to the fact that making online play would be a huge challenge.

If they can come up with a way to make this style of gameplay be cooperative, I believe it could really take off again. However, I dont wnat to see that. I just want the great old RPG's back. i know there are other slike me out there that love the game play and the laid back style while still being challenged.

The issue people and you no offense don't realize is that progression of turn based combat rpgs was held up to Western Devs that would always add heavy depth and complex gameplay with the system and when they ditched it, Japan pretty much kept the same exact formula. They only tampered with some outside elements, like getting attacked in real-time, which was actually already done, but you get the point, and adding side-ons like materia and in my and your case, Dragon transformations, but that never actually added to the combat just added more options during it. Take for example, Chrono Trigger, which lots of people like for some reason, the battle system is streamlined and easy but not progressive. Final Fantasy X while 2 gens of the FF engine, is not progressive, and this is why the popularity of Jrpgs only rose up highly with a few franchises and crashed back down especially the end of last gen and all this gen. What people need to do is do as you say, add more effort, but nobody seems to know what that actually means. Better monster summons? no, random character switch crap that doesn't work(unlimited Saga)? no. Have some side monster attack on the side without being controlled? no. People need to put more effort on the battle system and how you use it, instead of just adding sugar a grease on the outside to make the cake look tasty and then it tastes like cardboard. The question is nobody is doing that. The Wrpgs that still used some form of Turnbased all finished or died last gen. Mostly finished. They need to forget cardboard boxes and use actual flower and bake the cake and add stuff from the inside to make a tasty treat. You get my meaning.

I understand and agree with most of what you said more then you will ever know. RPG's are not dead. It is the devs who beat a formula into the ground by copying everybody else. Same as this gen with shooters. Traditional RPG's can and probably will make a comeback eventually, I just dont want to wait another 10 years. The "dragon transformation" was FAR from my favorite part of ANY of the 3 Breath of Fire games. My favorite part of all three games were the town environments, the thoughtful dungeons, good storylines, the best boss battles EVER, and lovable characters. I could care less about the dragon transformations which I rarely used anyways, There were some genuinely unique and GREAT puzzles within the BoF series, and the tlc they put into thoses games was very easy to see with game gurus like myself. Undeniable charm, great gameplay, good storylines, and thoughtful features that easily blow away games like Chrono Trigger is why I love the games.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts

[QUOTE="Dj-Dampleaf"][QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

I understand what you are saying when you say they are extremely limited, but that is because not enough thought goes into some of them. I truly wish I could take the reigns as a lead designer or project manager. I am on my way, but my schooling is nowhere near complete. I am currently enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh going for a BA in Game Art & Design. I'm thinking about backing that up with at least an associates in English. That way even if I dont have wuite enough artistic ability (which some people seem to have naturally) I can use my writing skills to get me in the door as a professional reviewer or article writer.

If I had the power to make my own turn based RPG however, I think I could show everybody that it hasnt "already all been done." Look at the shooting genre... it has "evolved" (often times in a bad way) throughout the years. Turn based RPG's just need a bit of an overhaul with seamless loading times and a few other improvements to make a comeback. However like I already stated, it will probably be the most challenging however due to the fact that making online play would be a huge challenge.

If they can come up with a way to make this style of gameplay be cooperative, I believe it could really take off again. However, I dont wnat to see that. I just want the great old RPG's back. i know there are other slike me out there that love the game play and the laid back style while still being challenged.

WitIsWisdom

The issue people and you no offense don't realize is that progression of turn based combat rpgs was held up to Western Devs that would always add heavy depth and complex gameplay with the system and when they ditched it, Japan pretty much kept the same exact formula. They only tampered with some outside elements, like getting attacked in real-time, which was actually already done, but you get the point, and adding side-ons like materia and in my and your case, Dragon transformations, but that never actually added to the combat just added more options during it. Take for example, Chrono Trigger, which lots of people like for some reason, the battle system is streamlined and easy but not progressive. Final Fantasy X while 2 gens of the FF engine, is not progressive, and this is why the popularity of Jrpgs only rose up highly with a few franchises and crashed back down especially the end of last gen and all this gen. What people need to do is do as you say, add more effort, but nobody seems to know what that actually means. Better monster summons? no, random character switch crap that doesn't work(unlimited Saga)? no. Have some side monster attack on the side without being controlled? no. People need to put more effort on the battle system and how you use it, instead of just adding sugar a grease on the outside to make the cake look tasty and then it tastes like cardboard. The question is nobody is doing that. The Wrpgs that still used some form of Turnbased all finished or died last gen. Mostly finished. They need to forget cardboard boxes and use actual flower and bake the cake and add stuff from the inside to make a tasty treat. You get my meaning.

I understand and agree with most of what you said more then you will ever know. RPG's are not dead. It is the devs who beat a formula into the ground by copying everybody else. Same as this gen with shooters. Traditional RPG's can and probably will make a comeback eventually, I just dont want to wait another 10 years. The "dragon transformation" was FAR from my favorite part of ANY of the 3 Breath of Fire games. My favorite part of all three games were the town environments, the thoughtful dungeons, good storylines, the best boss battles EVER, and lovable characters. I could care less about the dragon transformations which I rarely used anyways, There were some genuinely unique and GREAT puzzles within the BoF series, and the tlc they put into thoses games was very easy to see with game gurus like myself. Undeniable charm, great gameplay, good storylines, and thoughtful features that easily blow away games like Chrono Trigger is why I love the games.

I was using Dragon Transformations as a way to state my point that most Rpg developers even some western, after that gen Bof3 was in was full of people not putting effort in the system and just adding flash. The Dragon Transformations was a small thing although there were combinations, not a lot of time was put into just that or anything else, and we ended up with a complete game. Most Rpgs that time after focused more on adding on gimmicks, making unnecessary animations for spells. Character switching, which would work if people actually used it right, and so many other things that make no difference and instead makes the game tedious. Heck, even with all the FPS clones out we still get great games coming out the crowd, we can have that with Turn-based rpgs as well. I actually turned away from most TB rpgs around the end of 4th gen because of how nothing was actually changing and people were being fooled by the flash. Like Chrono Trigger, it has no depth, I don't care if the fanboys disagree with me it does not and uses a streamlined and easier version of the same thing, that does not make it different it's just more accessible, and is why so many people can get into it. when 5th gen came around and I played Suikoden and Beyond the Beyond I already knew something was wrong.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a263a314f72b
deactivated-5a263a314f72b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: -3

#54 deactivated-5a263a314f72b
Member since 2010 • 196 Posts

My favorite Retro/Old School Video Game Genre would have to be 2D Side-Scrolling Beat 'Em ups like Brawl Brothers, the Streets of Rage series, Pirates of Dark Water, the Final Fight series, Sengoku (part 3 in particular) and the Double Dragon series.

Nothing more fun than using martial arts, wrestling or plain old street brawling skills, to take out gang members, crooks, cyborgs, aliens and who-knows-what-else, all in an effort to save your girlfriend or the city or the world, LOL!

Closely following that would have to be 2D Versus Tournament Fighters, especially does mde by SNK & Capcom.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#55 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
JRPGs.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
Fighters, Shmups, Action/RPG
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#57 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

platformer racing adventure sandbox then lastly fps and rpg

NinjaLegacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 NinjaLegacy
Member since 2012 • 189 Posts

Platformers by far I think since i grew up with them on the NES.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

bioware rpgs (yea they haven't dissapointed me yet. i mean da2 was the closest, but i found it decent.) and fps....and yes i loved fps shooters before the current generation of consoles

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#60 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

JRPGs at the moment.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I always loved racing games even in the old days on the old 8bit computers however once the first 3d consoles became available i was even more hooked, it was a complete revelation to have cars and scenery actually look like what they were meant to be rather than flat 2d sprites.

The first time i played ridge racer on a ps1 instore i was really taken back at what i was seeing, i just couldnt believe i was able to play somethin like that in my own home on my own tv.

Its obviously very simplistic these days but my love of racing games still continues today and thankfully racing games have become more 'sim' than the old arcade style.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#62 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

For legacy systems My favorite genre is "Shoot them ups" This is why I keep returning to NES, SNES, Sega Genesis. The pick up and play of legacy systems is why I enjoy. Second favorite genre. Platformers

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

platformers

kittensRjerks

This. I've always loved both 2d and 3d platformers.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

[QUOTE="kittensRjerks"]

platformers

lensflare15

I can easily understand platformers being many peoples favorite genre. It is up there for me too... heck for short ammounts of time it is probably my most played genre. You know, with New Super Mario Brothers 2 just coming out and New Super Mario Bros Wii U coming soon. :)

I feel that platformers havnt gotten too much love lately however, and I really wish that some company out there would have the guts to try and pull out a blockbuster "non indy" title to try and comepte with the same Mario, Sonic, rivalry that still exists in many peoples minds today...

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

[QUOTE="lensflare15"]

[QUOTE="kittensRjerks"]

platformers

WitIsWisdom

I can easily understand platformers being many peoples favorite genre. It is up there for me too... heck for short ammounts of time it is probably my most played genre. You know, with New Super Mario Brothers 2 just coming out and New Super Mario Bros Wii U coming soon. :)

I feel that platformers havnt gotten too much love lately however, and I really wish that some company out there would have the guts to try and pull out a blockbuster "non indy" title to try and comepte with the same Mario, Sonic, rivalry that still exists in many peoples minds today...

I'm with you there. The Crash Bandicoot games probably could've been that way, had they stayed with Naughty Dog. I don't think there will be any new major platformers that gains that type of success, but I'm always happy to see new and interesting games.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

platformers

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points