Your Favorite Games Have Flaws. What Are They?

• 101 results
AGeekyLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 AGeekyLink
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

My favorite game is Final Fantasy VI. I can't find to much flaws in that game (but i'm sure others can).

Let's talk about another game that i loved. Ocarina Of Time. One major problem : changing your equipment. That freaking water temple when you had to take on and off your iron boots... Such a pain...

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 0

#52 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 are my favourite games... biggest flaw in both of them was the very high difficulty, you get hit and your mercs gotta heal up an entire day usaully, or worse yet could lose your merc completely, or suffer serious stat loss from a head shot... realistic but a bit too much so... and it forced me to too often use and abuse the quicksave function in the game to avoid mistakes or cheap deaths. Also travelling around in the map in JA2 was too slow even using vehicles which only lasted a short while depending on if you had any gas.

Another is Halo, one of my favourite games on xbox, but the f#!king flood... not sure if its a flaw i just didn't like dealing with them, plus at some points in the game they are infinitely spawning and i hate points in games that respawn enemies infinitely in certain spots.

JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts
@speedfreak48t5p said:

Burnout 3 is my favorite game and it doesn't have any flaws. It's a perfect game. :D

I totally agree. Burnout 3 has and always will be good fun and hugely satisfying to play. I'm even trying to think of flaws and seriously can't think of any. You're right; Burnout 3 is perfect!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Ninja Gaiden Black had a super-cheesy, awful story.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Mass Effect: Clunky controls, especially in combat. Also, trying to drive the Mako was hell at times.

Final Fantasy VII: Spelling mistakes, Cait Sith.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Persona 4 has a weird difficulty curve.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is too easy. (The last boss, however, is a beast.)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is probably too easy, and travelling can be a little tedious.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has all sorts of problems, but nostalgia is one of the reasons I love this game as much as I do.

Super Mario Sunshine has a bad camera, and some of the missions are repetitive and more than a little frustrating.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Oh oh ! Trine 2 is littered with Design Oversights.... Still I love that game.

usaking976127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 usaking976127
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Journey - It's very short and probably could've been a bit longer.

To The Moon - The horse riding level is incredibly annoying. It's very hard to figure out how to get off of the horse and how to retrieve the memory links, even after you've beaten the game once.

XOne_ShotX91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 XOne_ShotX91
Member since 2014 • 152 Posts

Mass Effect 1 with its generic uncharted planets and annoying texture pop-in. Love the game though.

Uncharted 1 with the annoying over-the-shoulder aiming cam. It looked like Drake was aiming to the side and shooting straight ahead. It annoyed the hell out of me lol

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#61 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@xone_shotx91: Surprised that you hold Uncharted 1 in such high regard. I prefer the 2nd game, but I still love the trilogy as a whole.

Avatar image for deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
Member since 2003 • 378 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@mastermetal777

Why should I ?

They're doing it wrong and that breaks my heart ! :(

I believe in enjoying games. Things like (interactive) stories and other such things make the game more enjoyable for me so why not. I have had epic amounts of fun in different sorts of games. Some multiplayer only games with nothing like stories and other such things were incredible. On the other some games with other immersive factors like interactive narratives other games fantastic, except in a different way.

As far as I am concerned, anything that makes the game more enjoyable/involving etc and should be allowed and be even strongly desired.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lulu_Lulu

@lumzi32

Yeah I get it... You just wana be entertained and don't really care how, be it by gaming or watching a movie.... Entertainment is entertainment to you....

Too me there are differences in how I am entertained, I will not tolerated redundancy.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

My favorite video game has no flaws. Streets of Rage 2 is pure perfection.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@lumzi32

Yeah I get it... You just wana be entertained and don't really care how, be it by gaming or watching a movie.... Entertainment is entertainment to you....

Too me there are differences in how I am entertained, I will not tolerated redundancy.

First off, you will get redundancy no matter what form off entertainment you play.

Second, what you said isn't true.

The kind of experience I get playing the Witcher 2 is not the same as what I get in LOTR or Game of Thrones even with some obvious similarities. The Witcher series has things that aren't present in any for tv or literature and I am not just talking about gameplay. For instance, that (dialogue) choice based narrative is almost completely unique to games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@lumzi32

I haven't played the Witcher but If its choice system is anything like other RPGs then thats not actuall a game element.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214

It is a definitely a game element. It is part of the interactive nature of the game.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#70  Edited By torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Burnout 3 is my favorite game and it doesn't have any flaws. It's a perfect game. :D

I like that game too but it definitely has some flaws.. the U.I sucks,the soundtrack is a mixed bag,some of the tracks are just reversed,the cars don't look as detailed as in burnout revenge,the commentator "DJ douchebag" IS ANNOYING AS HELL... i hated him in burnout 3 and i HATE him in burnout paradise.

@Renegade_Fury said:

My favorite video game has no flaws. Streets of Rage 2 is pure perfection.

I like that game too but it also has flaws.. you can't run! you just WALK! and not to mention most of the sound effects sound a bit iffy because of the genesis's weird sound chip.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Baldur's Gate 2, despite being by far Bioware's best title IMO, contains some of their worst examples of "fake choices." Dialogue of Throne of Baal in particular mostly gives 3 dialogue choices when talking, all of which lead to the same NPC text. NWN1 OC is the next worst in that regard.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@torenojohn7:

It's called forward, forward, B. Trying playing on at least hard, or what i do: mania, and the game becomes blazing fast. The biggest reason I love Streets of Rage 2 so much is because of its fast and smooth gameplay. As for the sound effects and soundtrack, I couldn't disagree more. I love the YM2612 sound chip because of its heavy bass and how similar it is to that era's arcades. As for SoR2, specifically, I love its powerful and gritty sound effects, and its music only comes second to Sonic 3 & Knuckles' soundtrack, which is my favorite of all time.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 torenojohn7

@Renegade_Fury: That's not running that's simply jump attack.. you can only walk in streets of rage 1&2 only in 3 you can run.

don't get me wrong i love the BGM in Streets of rage 2 but the sound effects of punching,grunts etc etc sound iffy.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@torenojohn7 said:

@Renegade_Fury: That's not running that's simply jump attack.. you can only walk in streets of rage 1&2 only in 3 you can run.

don't get me wrong i love the BGM in Streets of rage 2 but the sound effects of punching,grunts etc etc sound iffy.

Uh, no, forward, forward,B, is a blitz attack. You obviously haven't played SoR2 very much, or on anything past the two easiest difficulty settings, if you haven't incorporated it into your play style. On anything beyond normal, there is no down time with the amount of enemies that are constantly swarming you, so there is never a moment when you do need to run. Even so, with the blitz attack, you can still go from one end of the screen to the other quickly. As for what they are for each character: Skate does run (and launches himself as a cannon ball if your press B); Max's slide is infinitely more effective than running and I'm always spamming it; and Axel's and Blaze's blitz attacks, especially Axel's grand upper, can be used to wipe out enemies across the screen. Again, the game plays so fast, that not even SoR3 requires the reaction time that you need for SoR2 on hardest or mania.

Again, I couldn't disagree more. Not even SoR Remake could emulate the amount of power and grit of SoR 2'S sound effects.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By torenojohn7

@Renegade_Fury: blitz attack or whatever it still doesn't have anything to do with sprinting or running.. and i don't like playing as skate i only play as blaze or axel... lol skate sucks who wants to play as a 90's kid when you can be a badass street fighter or a hot chick wearing red mini skirt.. A MINI SKIRT!? this is why i love video games! such preposterously perverted things can only happen in the video game world.

Sure it might seem hypocritical as i loved playing as maria in rondo of blood but her character was played for laugh while skate's isn't so he sucks even if he's the only character who can run.

Thank God for Streets of rage 3 and SOR remake. running is the only reason i like SOR 3 more than SOR2 even though SOR 2 has more interesting level design and better music... running simply makes SOR 3 just much more fun.

And you should try listening to the sound effects without the captivating BGM the sound effects is just... well "genesis" lol

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Renegade_Fury

Skate sucks? lol, thanks that's all I need to know to tell that I've been wasting my time. I'll just leave this here, because there isn't much of a point of debating the merits of the Streets of Rage games with someone that doesn't even know how to play.

Loading Video...

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By torenojohn7

@Renegade_Fury: ooh i'm sorry what? i just don't like playing as a scrawny ass little kid and no i don't need coaching from someone to play a freaking beat'em'up game that i am used to playing since i was like 10.

mariomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 mariomguy
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

My favorite game is Super Mario 64. Flaws? Well, the controls did get better with each succeeding 3D Mario game, especially wall jumping, but I still preferred the N64's mission system to Sunshine's episodes, especially when it came to replay value. SM64 was buggy, but they were all good bugs, like being able to pass through doors using the stairs glitch. Like the rest of the game itself, it just became a part of the game. I'm not sure if I can say it aged well, I still love it today, but as far as innovation goes it has certainly been surpassed by the likes of Super Mario Galaxy.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@torenojohn7 said:

@Renegade_Fury: ooh i'm sorry what? i just don't like playing as a scrawny ass little kid and no i don't need coaching from someone to play a freaking beat'em'up game that i am used to playing since i was like 10.

I'm not giving you coaching, but rather I'm pointing out that your understanding of the gameplay is too lacking for me to get into a debate over. I've been playing SoR 1-3 nonstop for over 20 years, so it'll take someone more into the games to convince me of any flaws present, especially in the best game of the series, no less.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By torenojohn7

@Renegade_Fury: there is not much depth to a beat'em'up game and as far as flaws go SOR 2 is far from perfect and SOR 3 or Bare knuckle 3 proves it by making incremental improvements like smoother framerate,better sprites and sprinting! sure the level design sucked and the music was just trashy but the improvements it made over SOR 2 is visible...

Not to mention making a basic control mechanic character specific is simply just absurd,its like playing super mario bros where luigi can only jump and mario can only run just because they're different characters.

You could say i've been spoiled as a kid i'm used to playing mostly late Capcom arcade beat'em'up's like AVP and Cadillacs&dinos.and beat'em'up games without running or sprinting simply feels archaic to me,the only real reason why SOR series still holds up as a classic is because of its sound quality and level design.

SOR remake is easily the best in the series.. its just the best.. it does away with all the flaws of the series.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#81  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy X don't really have any problems. Perhaps some tedious missions like the Chocobo Race or the Lightning Dodge for FFX or some side missions in ME 2, but it's very minor

I adore FFX but Yuna has some pretty bad voice acting and Tidus/Rikku's voice acting can be questionable at times.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@torenojohn7:

Again, sprinting is unnecessary when all the enemies are already in your face and you can do blitz attacks. Flip the switch past normal and tell me SoR 2 needs plain old running with a straight a face. SoR 3 also lacks some of the polish found in SoR 2 like missing sound effects, the lack of grit from the attacks, and near the end, the pacing feels lazy. I still love it though, just not as much as 2.

It gives all the characters unique attributes without implementing unnecessary fighting game like combos, and it's something that should be praised. In Skate's case, he is the weakest character, so everything about him revolves around speed.

I've played all of the Capcom and Konami beat 'em ups as well, and none of them touch the pinnacle of the genre: SoR2, 3, and Remake. The gameplay in a lot of those are also incredibly stiff and slow, especially in overrated crap like Final Fight, Turtles in Time, and X-Men Arcade.

Remake is objectively the best game, but it's certainly not because it's doing away with flaws. What makes Remake so good, is that it takes the 3 games, and it adds loads of customization. If it had online play, it probably would be my favorite SoR game. Thanks to the Vintage Collection, I can do that with SoR 1-3 and Bare Knuckle 3.

Sorry, but you're not going to convince me of any flaws.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By GreySeal9

I'll list 7 of my faves:

Chrono Cross: as exotic and intriguing as its story is, it's a tad too confusing.

Final Fantasy IX: trance system is very wonky.

Chrono Trigger: it's hard to come up with a flaw for this one, but I think there's a large difficulty spike between the rest of the game and the final boss.

Persona 4: bland dungeon design; terrible Persona fusing system.

Xenoblade Chronicles: shoddy character models; characters could have more depth.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: counter intuitive save system.

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2: motion control portions can be frustrating.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By torenojohn7

@Renegade_Fury: As i told you SOR 3 lacks the music and the creative level designs of SOR 2 but most importantly it does improve a lot of stuff from SOR 2 like the framerate and less choppy&smoother animation not to mention the much needed sprinting which you deem unnecessary for some reason... it simply adds more fluent and less restrictive controls after all didn't Genesis brag about being super fast scrolling?

You see there's a difference between unique abilities and basic gameplay mechanics that every characters should&must share you should be able to run albeit slower than the highly skilled speedster but you should have the ability to run regardless.

Seriously the animation is so smooth in SOR 3 SOR 2 feels slower compared to it especially the "Stun punches" where you stun enemies in one place. SOR 3 doesn't have that it has a free-flowing gameplay.

Incredibly stiff&slow? yes the early capcom games were like that but i'm talking about refined late arcade titles like Cadillac&dinosaurs,Alien Vs predator&The punisher.. and if you want to play the "Best" beat'em'up game just play Sengoku 3 on Neo-geo! i have yet to play a beat'em'up game which is as good as sengoku 3.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Renegade_Fury

Oh, so you're still trying, huh? Yes, as I already stated, I have played all of those, including Cadillac & Dinosaurs, Sengoku 3, The Punisher, etc. SoR 2 not only beats all of them to be the greatest beat 'em up, it's the greatest video game of all time by quite a large margin in my eyes. So again, you're not going to convince me of flaws, especially considering your very apparent lack of experience and skill in SoR2. You're wasting your own time now, because I don't care about changing your own opinion.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

shenmue

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 GreySeal9

@ageekylink said:

My favorite game is Final Fantasy VI. I can't find to much flaws in that game (but i'm sure others can).

Difficulty spikes.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#89 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Mass Effect 2 and Final Fantasy X don't really have any problems. Perhaps some tedious missions like the Chocobo Race or the Lightning Dodge for FFX or some side missions in ME 2, but it's very minor

I adore FFX but Yuna has some pretty bad voice acting and Tidus/Rikku's voice acting can be questionable at times.

Puzzle elements in FFX were really bland. To its credit, it's good for an RPG. I can recall that fight at the top of Mt Gagazet (sp?) had a massive difficulty spike.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By torenojohn7

@Renegade_Fury: Of course i'm not going to convince you since you let your nostalgia cloud your judgement..all the later capcom beat'em'up games have way better graphics,sound more gameplay variety,depth and controls compared to the original final fight&SOR series(except for the remake that is).

You really have to be in sheer denial if you can't accept that sengoku 3 and various other beat'em'ups like guardian heroes are technically&objectively superior to the SOR series in almost everyway hell even the punisher arcade port proves that Genesis is simply inferior to the arcade.

I haven't played guardian heroes yet but i have brought castle crashes off steam and its easily way better than original SOR trilogy(Not the remake).

AGeekyLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 AGeekyLink

@jeager_titan said:

@ageekylink said:

Let's talk about another game that i loved. Ocarina Of Time. One major problem : changing your equipment. That freaking water temple when you had to take on and off your iron boots... Such a pain...

A flaw in FF6, After everything goes to shit when kefka "wins" the game becomes a little bit hard and I had no Idea how to find most of the characters.

Well thats the only flaw I can think of. Still love the game though.

That was a thing i liked. It was none linear. You could really choose who you wanted to rescue first.

I don't see it as a flaw but I understand that it bothered you.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#92 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@ageekylink: Yeah, I hated that part in FF 6 as well. I liked the non-linearity, but it was such a huge difficulty spike that it was more frustrating than entertaining.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@torenojohn7 said:

@Renegade_Fury: Of course i'm not going to convince you since you let your nostalgia cloud your judgement..all the later capcom beat'em'up games have way better graphics,sound more gameplay variety,depth and controls compared to the original final fight&SOR series(except for the remake that is).

You really have to be in sheer denial if you can't accept that sengoku 3 and various other beat'em'ups like guardian heroes are technically&objectively superior to the SOR series in almost everyway hell even the punisher arcade port proves that Genesis is simply inferior to the arcade.

I haven't played guardian heroes yet but i have brought castle crashes off steam and its easily way better than original SOR trilogy(Not the remake).

lol, sure thing, buddy. Beat 'em ups are one of my favorite genres, and I own and have played the crap out of Guardian Heroes and Castle Crashers, (Guardian Heroes is actually my second favorite beat 'em up franchise), but neither are better. If you really think stiff combat, and boring combos like in Castle Crashers are better, then I can't help you. It's not nostalgia, I just love SoR 2's fast and satisfying gameplay, but like I keep saying, play on something other than a baby difficulty (oh, and try learning the moves too) and maybe you'll have a clue to what I'm talking about. To say that I'm in denial and don't know a thing about gameplay depth, while you choose characters based on appearance, is truly lol worthy.

AGeekyLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 AGeekyLink

@mastermetal777 said:

@ageekylink: Yeah, I hated that part in FF 6 as well. I liked the non-linearity, but it was such a huge difficulty spike that it was more frustrating than entertaining.

To be fair i did get lost a few times looking for the different characters ^^.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#96 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

Conker's Bad Fur Day is probably the closest thing I have to a favorite game, but boy, does it annoy the shit out of me sometimes. Controls are garbage in some levels, difficulty can get outright cruel, and some sections and their pacing just weren't as fun to play as they were to look at.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#97 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I have many fav games

Mega Man X is short but there is a lot place to be a bad ass like buster only run

Final Fantasy Tactics has a very steep Learning curve

Unreal Tournament 3 is ... is ... I can't think of anything

Fallout 3 as way to many frame rate issue and bug all over the place ... to the point that it is pathetic like most Bethesda/Square Enix games ...

and one that is a pet peeve of mine : all games sporting trophies/acheivements are instantely boring once you have the platinium trophy/1000 game score ... this is why Nintendo games feel more fun to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By deactivated-58bd60b980002

@hrt_rulz01:

to me Portal 2 had too many flaws like the campaing had no replay value, the only replay value was in multiplayer and even then. At least the first Portal offered some stuff like finishing the puzzle with the least number of portal or the fastest you can.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#99 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@Coco_pierrot said:

I have many fav games

Mega Man X is short but there is a lot place to be a bad ass like buster only run

Final Fantasy Tactics has a very steep Learning curve

Unreal Tournament 3 is ... is ... I can't think of anything

Fallout 3 as way to many frame rate issue and bug all over the place ... to the point that it is pathetic like most Bethesda/Square Enix games ...

and one that is a pet peeve of mine : all games sporting trophies/acheivements are instantely boring once you have the platinium trophy/1000 game score ... this is why Nintendo games feel more fun to me.

Well, the campaign had the cliffhanger. I cannot really say much, since it was my first UT game, and I could not play online. But the story is just there to give people who cannot play online something to do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@cooolio:

yeah that's true, the story didn't make any sense but how well. I don't play that game online at all. I have a lot of fun playing either with a friend or alone in all the different offline game mode.