Worst Things About Your Favorite Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#1 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Nothing in the world is perfect. Video games are no exception to this fact of life. Even though you love, cherish, and defend your favorite games to the death, I can guarantee there's at least one thing about your favorites that bug the crap out of you. I'll list my own favorites, and tell you what bugs me the most about them.

• Dark Souls - poor hitbox detection in some positions, cumbersome inventory system, poorly implemented faction system, the horrible framerate drops in Blighttown and Anor Londo.
  • Red Dead Redemption - little point to being the villain, shooting mechanics are average at best, weird animation glitches even when you're moving around
  • Dragon Age: Origins - stiff animations, some story holes, mages are too OP
  • Heavy Rain - some plot holes in the overall story, awkward walking controls, terrible voice acting in some areas
  • BioShock - shooting controls a bit outdated, pacing drags a bit in the middle, last third is pointless and poorly designed
  • Chrono Trigger - poorly explained mechanics for bosses, lots of pointless combat moves
  • Metroid Prime - platforming can be tricky in first-person, difficult to navigate the world at times
  • Shadow of the Colossus - awkward animations, colossi climbing tends to bug out at times, difficult horse controls
  • Xenogears - pointless magic system, a few extremely difficult levels (Tower of Babel can go die!!!), second disc is a wall of constant text when there should've been gameplay
  • The Last of Us - some poor AI pathfinding, checkpoint system is a bit too lenient, Summer level a bit slow in its pacing

And that's my list. Everything I find annoying with my most favorite games ever. What about the rest of you? What are your favorite games, and what are the things that annoy you the most?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Halflife (1998), has poor platforming sections.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Persona 3, dungeon crawling can get monotonous-very little visual variety in Tartarus, and the same music in there for the whole game

Parasite Eve - Aya moves so slowly

Majora's Mask - some of the redoing stuff can get tedious

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

True, even the best of games have redundant sections and other flaws.
Metal Gear Solid 4 - The mission where you have to sneak through the streets at night.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The worst part is a-holes dumping on it just to dump on it. They do it not because they dislike the game but because they want to be troll jerks. In short, they show attributes of some of the worst human traits.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

1. DoA5.... inconsistent execution problems.

2 Trials.... Shitty Design on top of imprecise leaning and throttles response.

3. President Evil 6 and Revelations 2, wasted space in splits screen.

4. Splinter Cell Blacklist, Cover System is very cumbersome.

5. Disney Infinity..... no tutorial for creation tools.

6. Dragon Dogma..... stats.

Therea more.... can't remember.

BoomPains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 BoomPains
Member since 2014 • 70 Posts
@tatman87 said:

True, even the best of games have redundant sections and other flaws.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - The mission where you have to sneak through the streets at night.

Seen it before, we know that it is intended sometimes. But, maybe they had run out of maps :P

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

From the top of my head-

Devil May Cry 3, the platforming sections >_<

Dragon's Dogma, how bland the side-quests are.

Monster Hunter 4G, how my friends find it ''too hard''. (lonely)

War for the Overworld, how dead it is online. (lonely)

Tekken Tag Tournament 2, worst achievements in a fighting game ever.

Bayonetta 2, length of the game, lack of content.

Super Castevania IV, recycled enemies and areas.

Disgaea 3, Almaz. .

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Mario Galaxy 2: Levels are great, but like with most mario games I get tired of how they're barely threaded together.

Final Fantasy X: everything perfect except the writing ("HA HA HA HA HA", need I say more?) and the Seymore battles. He was annoying.

Ocarina of Time: Water Temple.

Wind Waker: A little too much sailing and I don't like that Tetra becomes pretty much useless after turning into Zelda. Also gathering the Triforce. **** me.

Twilight Princess: Too easy, the getting each bit of land out of the Twilight Realm was also a bit tedious.

Any and all Pokemon games: No, I'm not going to play online competitively if I need to spend 150 hours of my life building up a decent team.

Dishonored: Weak plot, but great everything else really.

Mario Kart 8: No, it's fine. I didn't even want to rank well. Those three consecutive red shells were great. Also vertical split-screen.

SSX Tricky: I... actually can't think of anything bad about this game... need help guys.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

Despite me loving it, Morrowind still has possibly the worst combat system out of any ES game. I love the series, and i'm always torn between Morrowind and Skyrim as my favorite, but it always boils down to Morrowind's terrible combat system

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Battle.Net for Starcraft II.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

metal gear solid 4 is one of my favorite games. i love each and everything about the game, i never found even a single flaw in the game, every bit of the was perfect. but if u talk about the series, metal gear solid sons of liberty was the worst, they screwed up the game with raiden .

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Mega Man: Most of the series are not finished and unexplained and will most likely never be finished. There are some like Mega Man X and Zero and from what I've heard Battle Network that actually received endings to their line of games. I haven't played X7 or X8 yet but I thought X5 and X6 were good endings. Mega Man Zero could have ended the entire line from Mega Man to MMZ if it wanted to. Then Capcom thought it would be awesome to released the ZX games which were pretty cool but, here we are again. Just waiting for an ending that may never come.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Divinity Original Sin. An absolute clinic on open-ended quest design. brilliant game...terrible story. But you should all buy it when it comes out on consoles soon if you can't play it on PC.

Uncharted 2. Closest thing I've felt to watching the Indiana Jones movies for the first time. Worst last boss ever.

Alpha Protocol. A brilliant RPG that lets you actually RP in your RPG. Puts everything BioWare has ever done with Mass Effect or DA or whatever to shame in this department. The combat is pretty shoddy.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

Burnout Paradise:TOO MANY CRASHES! its an open world racing game so its REALLY frustrating to crash over&over.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

Nothing in the world is perfect. Video games are no exception to this fact of life. Even though you love, cherish, and defend your favorite games to the death, I can guarantee there's at least one thing about your favorites that bug the crap out of you. I'll list my own favorites, and tell you what bugs me the most about them.

• Dark Souls - poor hitbox detection in some positions, cumbersome inventory system, poorly implemented faction system, the horrible framerate drops in Blighttown and Anor Londo.
  • Red Dead Redemption - little point to being the villain, shooting mechanics are average at best, weird animation glitches even when you're moving around
  • Dragon Age: Origins - stiff animations, some story holes, mages are too OP
  • Heavy Rain - some plot holes in the overall story, awkward walking controls, terrible voice acting in some areas
  • BioShock - shooting controls a bit outdated, pacing drags a bit in the middle, last third is pointless and poorly designed
  • Chrono Trigger - poorly explained mechanics for bosses, lots of pointless combat moves
  • Metroid Prime - platforming can be tricky in first-person, difficult to navigate the world at times
  • Shadow of the Colossus - awkward animations, colossi climbing tends to bug out at times, difficult horse controls
  • Xenogears - pointless magic system, a few extremely difficult levels (Tower of Babel can go die!!!), second disc is a wall of constant text when there should've been gameplay
  • The Last of Us - some poor AI pathfinding, checkpoint system is a bit too lenient, Summer level a bit slow in its pacing

And that's my list. Everything I find annoying with my most favorite games ever. What about the rest of you? What are your favorite games, and what are the things that annoy you the most?

GTA V - Horrible story, unlikeable characters and then there was Trevor who for some strange reason seem to be popular which i have no idea why.

Dark Souls 2 - More of the same and if i had bought that i would have felt so bad and reported it as a scam.

Max Payne - Albeit it was a well made shooter it lacked everything that made the first max payne games so great, and it was sad to see. How ever look past the name and take it for a random shooter and it was a decent enough game.

Last of Us - Poor gameplay mechanics, poor multiplayer, poor ending, never felt you were in control of the choices. and the liberal propaganda was thick.

Thats some of the games.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

These are general things i hate in my favourite games, but i really hate any kind of timed sequence or any quick time events, they add frustration and i don't like them. Really buggy or inconsistant save systems or bad checkpoints can ruin games also.

Extreme difficulty also, some people love this in games but i don't. I like a well balanced game which takes some skill but i want to have fun and not have to repeat things over and over.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

In games like god of war, the timer thing , the timer adventure part is what i sometimes find irritating.

Alex839

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Alex839
Member since 2015 • 151 Posts

Bad levels in general (like that sick level in Demon`s Souls) or areas which drag just for the sake to make games longer.

MKerogazov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MKerogazov
Member since 2015 • 56 Posts

In general, it's a lack of a decent artificial intelligence. And it doesn't really matter whether it's a strategy game like Heroes of Might and Magic or Civilization or some shooter like Serious Sam. Computer is trying to overwhelm you with quantity rather than quality and after a while, even for a good game, it can become a bit boring and repetitive. Probably one of the reasons why people play more online games trying to find a real challenge versing human opponents.

Alex839

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Alex839
Member since 2015 • 151 Posts

@mkerogazov: Agreed, all they do is push graphics but A.I. isn`t evolving that much, judgment day is still far lol

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

deus ex: it was ugly at release and got beaten with the ugly stick over time. some old games, like metroid prime, age gracefully. DE aint one of them. also the start of the game is poor. its overly long and misplaced.

morrowind: wind riders (those bird thingies). one of the most annoying enemies ever. common as muck and fighting them was a pain. they were easy...but a pain. thank god for mods but i originally played it on the xbox :S.

witcher 3: sloppy combat. it suffers from the same problem many games suffer from now...an over abundance of animation. just because you can shove 5GB of animation Data through every combat move doesnt mean you should :P. also sometimes it does too much handholding (i swear one quest was just scan, chat, scan, make a decision, scan, done). im all for variety in quests. not everything should boil down to clobbering things. but thats not fun.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

It's usually the level design for me. Especially in FPS games. It's getting better though.