Why speedrunning isn't as dumb as you think.

Cypress131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Cypress131
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

There's been a growing trend of articles that talk about speedrunning lately. Almost every article simply posts a video and doesn't give any real context into what speedrunning is, and what speedrunning isn't. That context is extremely important, and without it, most people tend to see speedrunning in a negative way.

Speedrunning has always been about having friendly competition with others to see how fast you can beat a game. It's not about being the best at a game and it's not about being recognized. There's no rewards for being the fastest other than bragging rights to the others in the community.

Speedrunning isn't about making the game as hard as it can be. It isn't about challenging yourself to beat the game the hardest way possible. It's not about cheating or exploits or making the game easier. It's about finding the quickest way from point A to point B using whatever tools necessary. If glitches make it easier? Cool! If the glitch is extremely difficult to do but makes it faster? Cool!

One of the biggest misconceptions is that speedrunning is all about cheating and glitching your way to the top. That's not the case. They're not trying to be compared to normal players, they're trying to compare and compete against other people using the same glitches. In fact, there are usually many different categories for each game! And for almost every game there is a "glitchless" category where glitches are not allowed! From the outside looking in, it may look like cheating, but they're only comparing themselves against other people who are using the same glitches they are using. There are strict rules that are imposed to each category that people have to follow.

TL;DR: Speedrunning is about having fun competing with other speedrunners, and nobody else. They're not looking for fame or to be recognized as the best player of a game. They're just guys having fun racing each other. Articles that show off speedrunning videos don't really explain what speedrunning is, and without that context many people will end up getting the wrong impression.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#1  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I don't think there are many people who are against speed-runners or think they're dumb...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've always wanted to attempt a speed run. I might do it with Majora's Mask at some point.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I personally don't find the appeal in speed runs. But I hold nothing against those who do.

Cypress131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cypress131

@Minishdriveby:

You'd be surprised with how many people dislike speedrunning. They see people using glitches and exploits and they think they're cheating. There are tons of people out there that don't know a thing about speedrunning communities, then see a video of a glitched run and say "Well he cheated! That doesn't count!".

I like the fact that gaming sites are bringing attention to the speedrunning communities, but they never really give any information about what speedrunning is actually about. Instead they clickbait by saying "Watch this guy beat [game] in [time]!". Then when users see the video of the player using glitches they get the feeling like they were cheated into watching it.

It's happening more and more lately. The newest one (Bloodborne) at least put "but with some exploits" in the title. Even then, the article doesn't give any context whatsoever, and so people end up complaining about how "So he didn't actually beat the game", or "If you have to cheat, then what is the point of this?".

@turtlethetaffer said:

I've always wanted to attempt a speed run. I might do it with Majora's Mask at some point.

Majora's Mask speedruns are really fun! There are some great online videos and resources for it, and the community is really supportive of new runners. Be warned though, the game is extremely broken and takes a ridiculous amount of very difficult glitches for the fastest routes. For games like that, it's best to start off finding the easiest route and working your way up. :)

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 turtlethetaffer

@Cypress131: I wonder what kind of stuff is in the 3DS version, because that's the one I was thinking of more.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

I never thought it was dumb myself in fact I enjoy watching speedruns.

Cypress131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cypress131

@turtlethetaffer:

Check out https://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/mm3d/

You can also use that sight for most other Zelda games!

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

@Cypress131: Cool thank you! Might make it a summer project once school is done.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Really ?

Speedrunning is a big deal ? I had no idea.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#10 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's anything but dumb. It still amazes me how some of these runners can do those incredible runs all while explaining the process to an audience; think of the amount of focus and determination needed for something like that to become second nature.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

Who said it was dumb? Assholes. Who cares what they think?

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

They just need to see that one guy do that F-Zero GX speed run and they'll have thier minds blown.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#13 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Hey I like speedruns. They're entertaining and, well... speedy. Of course I'm not going to look at a speedrun if what I want is help on a certain level or boss; like you say, they aren't playing the game the normal way nor are they trying to pretend like they do.

Besides, if you're a speedrunner odds are you've played that game tons of times, including the way the devs meant it.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've done a speed run on Resident Evil Remake HD and it unlocked me a rocket launcher with infinite anmo. Totally worth it.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

When I see people glitching the game I lose all interest in what they do. Speedruns are still pretty darn boring to me but it's cool that others enjoy it, speed on!

chaos__shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chaos__shadow
Member since 2011 • 86 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

I don't think there are many people who are against speed-runners or think they're dumb...

Agreed. I've never thought much about it. Sometimes i'm curious to know how fast a game has been beaten. Never really cared how. So what if they cheat and beat it fast... Doesn't affect me at all