Why so many video games feature a macho male protagonist on the game cover?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

adaweawe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 adaweawe
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
This seems like a trend nowadays, just look at the top sellers for steam and a little box cover thumbnails all feature a picture of some male hero, usually white age 25 to 35, wielding a gun or ask and having some tough expression on his face. I get it, this is to appeal to the many gamers that are within this age range and who are male. But are you guys sick of this trend? Would you rather have them appeal to youth through some other method rather than pasting this picture of your masculine superhero/role model? And not to be rude, the many gamers are actually skinny scrawny types who really don't have much in common with the muscular men on the cover of the games. Maybe they play to escape and pretends to be the man they wish they were. But when all games feature this type of protagonist, it gets boring after a while doesn't it? Another marketing strategy behind this macho male game cover is that many of the game players are teenage boys who are becoming men and are afraid of being labeled as nerdy gamers. But when the game features this macho male whom they respect, it is harder for the peers to ridicule them. What do u guys (lol) think?
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
It seems like bad marketing for the most part. I know it happened to Bioshock Infinite's boxart, and the people marketing The Last of Us tried to remove the girl from the cover, but Naughty Dog resisted it.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Because that is a staple of many entertainment industries.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Gamers are picky about their main characters.

Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

Because 18-35 white males still make up the most consistently profitable part of the game industry.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts

Because 18-35 white males still make up the most consistently profitable part of the game industry.

Systems_Id
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Because publishers are convinced that that's the only thing that will sell.

zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

I don't care about it really. I look at game covers individually and judge them. It makes sense why they do it though. A character on the cover of a game is typically the one you play as. Think of the new (or any) Tomb Raider game.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Systems_Id
There you go.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

It seems like bad marketing for the most part. I know it happened to Bioshock Infinite's boxart, and the people marketing The Last of Us tried to remove the girl from the cover, but Naughty Dog resisted it.rragnaar

There have been plenty of covers featuring women on the boxart, such as the Tomb Raider series or Bulletwitch or even Lollipop Chainsaw, So while, yes, it is a male-dominating aspect, females can have their cake and eat it too.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
The characters in video games players control are avatars in a sense. Making these characters greater than the average person in size and strength is one thing players like because it excites our imaginations.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Because Macho women doesn't sell ..... and we don't want to see Hilary Clinton, Madeline Albright, Condoleeza Rice or Oprah as a videogame hero
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Women no good at games. Takes Em to long to finish one game thus not buying as many.
Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts
Im guessing these companies have learned that most players want to play as a powerful character, physically and mentally. A badass so to speak. It probably gives them the feeling like they dominate the virtual world they are playing in.
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

Because no one would buy a game with an effeminate limp wristed guy on the cover. I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hippiesanta
Women no good at games. Takes Em to long to finish one game thus not buying as many.Heirren
even sharing a console will be a problem... especially during the 5th and 6th gen..... because girls tend to accidently delete or overwrite your game save from memory card
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

Because no one would buy a game with an effeminate limp wristed guy on the cover. I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

Gamefan1986
By that logic japanese games would not sell at all. but only a fool would buy a game soley base on its cover.
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

People don't play games to be who they are and do things they can do. Most people for example aren't part of an elite spec ops team who fights terrorist, nazis or aliens but games with these themes sell well none the less.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#19 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

It seems like bad marketing for the most part. I know it happened to Bioshock Infinite's boxart, and the people marketing The Last of Us tried to remove the girl from the cover, but Naughty Dog resisted it.rragnaar

Is that bad marketing though? Or is it good? 

Take for example movies that constantly feature ads with the one action scene taken out of a drama focused film. Look at the marketing, hell, even the title for Inglorious Basterds. They were secondary characters and were featured only a few times in the movie but absolutely dominated the trailers. It got people in the door, so it did its job. Is that good or bad marketing? And not morally bad.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Women no good at games. Takes Em to long to finish one game thus not buying as many.Heirren

I'm sorry, but that just feels wrong to say. Completely wrong. I know female gamers that can beat a game very fast or can even hold their own in genres such as fighting.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Women no good at games. Takes Em to long to finish one game thus not buying as many.hippiesanta
even sharing a console will be a problem... especially during the 5th and 6th gen..... because girls tend to accidently delete or overwrite your game save from memory card

Probably two of the dumbest posts I have read all week.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'm sure that stuff is all 100% decided by the marketing department and any "creative" types have no say in the manner whatsoever.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Women no good at games. Takes Em to long to finish one game thus not buying as many.Metamania

I'm sorry, but that just feels wrong to say. Completely wrong. I know female gamers that can beat a game very fast or can even hold their own in genres such as fighting.

I think (and hope and pray) he was being sarcastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Women no good at games. Takes Em to long to finish one game thus not buying as many.Metamania

It's the truth. Studies have shown who the largest gaming demographic is. There are men that wear make-up for various reasons, stage/personal/etc, but you don't see male centric make-up ads on tv, do you?
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Beacause when most of us imagine a hero or badass, he will most likely be a 18-35 year old guy with an angry expression on his face and a gun.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
cuz we gamers are insecure about our manhood that we need those manly sexy man on the cover to feel covered... manliness-wise.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"][QUOTE="Heirren"]Women no good at games. Takes Em to long to finish one game thus not buying as many.Lucky_Krystal

You should visit OT and SW more often >.>
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
It's for the bro gamers who like to bro fist each other while bro-ing down a cold bro. I mean brew.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"] even sharing a console will be a problem... especially during the 5th and 6th gen..... because girls tend to accidently delete or overwrite your game save from memory cardfunsohng

You should visit OT and SW more often >.>

Oh lord. I'd rather not :lol:

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I'm not sure what you're expecting to be on the cover of military themed games. It's a simple marketing stratagy that people will assocaite with a shooter game. Given the popularity of shooters right now, the majority of these types of games will have a rough looking soldier type guy on the front.

I have plenty of games in other genres that don't have the typical "macho" male on the cover, and they usually have the more interesting cover art.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hippiesanta

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"][QUOTE="Heirren"]Women no good at games. Takes Em to long to finish one game thus not buying as many.Lucky_Krystal

well oprah... you just can't face the reality
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="adaweawe"]This seems like a trend nowadays, just look at the top sellers for steam and a little box cover thumbnails all feature a picture of some male hero, usually white age 25 to 35, wielding a gun or ask and having some tough expression on his face. I get it, this is to appeal to the many gamers that are within this age range and who are male. But are you guys sick of this trend? Would you rather have them appeal to youth through some other method rather than pasting this picture of your masculine superhero/role model? And not to be rude, the many gamers are actually skinny scrawny types who really don't have much in common with the muscular men on the cover of the games. Maybe they play to escape and pretends to be the man they wish they were. But when all games feature this type of protagonist, it gets boring after a while doesn't it? Another marketing strategy behind this macho male game cover is that many of the game players are teenage boys who are becoming men and are afraid of being labeled as nerdy gamers. But when the game features this macho male whom they respect, it is harder for the peers to ridicule them. What do u guys (lol) think?

I think you pretty much got everything covered. Great Work.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Good game covers

dead_space_box_art.jpg?w=260demons_souls_deluxe_edition_box_art.jpg

^One evokes a sense of dread and isolation. One bucks the trend of muscely protagonist striking his dumb little pose by showing the main character beaten and defeated instead. (Suits the game in question very well)

Bad/lazily generic game covers

33041_13462_front.jpgdeadspace.jpg

Look, I have enormous guns and I'm not afraid of posing with them like a dickhead! 'Murica F*ck Yeah!

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Girl, just revel in the thought that they are clueless. Let them feast on these little facts from the Entertainment Software Association: [quote="Linked Page"] 4. The average game player is 30 years old and has been playing games for 12 years. 5. The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 35 years old. 6. Forty-seven percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (18 percent).

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Who wants to see a twig of an 18 year old wimp cringing at the sound of gunfire on the cover and in game?

The reason they are able to survive in these worlds is because they are tough. All those wimps died with everyone else.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#36 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Who wants to see a twig of an 18 year old wimp cringing at the sound of gunfire on the cover and in game?

The reason they are able to survive in these worlds is because they are tough. All those wimps died with everyone else.

Deadpool-n
yeah that is true. Though there might be a lack if tough female protagonists, i don't really mind it
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="Deadpool-n"]

The_Last_Ride
yeah that is true. Though there might be a lack if tough female protagonists, i don't really mind it

You would think wimps would appear more on the covers of survival horrors but then again the main attraction for those games are the baddies.