Why not make digital downloads cheaper?!

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

It's a digital version of the game that can't be shared, sold, or transferred to a new system (generally).

If they [all digitally downloadable games] were cheaper than a physical copy, I get it.

So why the hell aren't they?!

Who buys a virtual copy of a game for full value? Would it make too much sense for the DD to be like 20% off?? I guess they make their money off the suckers that download games and are stuck with them and can't trade them in. I've downloaded a game before and instantly felt like an idiot.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Because they're about convenience and instant gratification. They should sell physical games cheaper instead.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 amyh7292

I agree with your first statement. Your second makes no sense to me. Why would a disk that potentially 10 players could use be cheaper than a version you can never trade/sell back? Just from a business POV you're obviously making more of DD because only one console can ever use that specific file you spent, say, $60 on. That's my issue with DD because you're paying full cost for something that you don't have the same luxury of trading/selling. On top of that you're not even paying for the labor of creating the disk/shipping it. Even $5 off for the DD seems more reasonable. Otherwise why would you want a library of digital games unless you're VERY confident you will want it forever for whatever price you paid.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

You've answered you're own question. If digital was cheaper, a lot more people would buy them. Publishers and console manufacturers don't want to lose favor with retailers so they don't make them cheaper. That's why you don't see many PC games at retail anymore, retail wasn't selling because of cheaper digital alternatives so they took them off the shelves..

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amyh7292

Okay fair enough. But I mean I don't think a $5 discount would deter people from physical copies. You still get a much better deal if you have the actual disk... then I guess that more reiterates my other point... why would you ever buy a DD then for full value (assuming you don't already know it'll be worth it). It seems contradictory to create an online store that, as you said, isn't the manufacturers main target and also not the consumers first choice (hopefully)... so it's essentially for those enticed enough by "instant" gratification and otherwise a complete waste of your money. Again, I've bought DD not bashing those who do just trying to understand why you would then? Is 5-10% off really going to but stores out of business. That's open to everyone not just you @spike6958

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Why should they.....

They are more than willing to pay full price for less content..... its not like publishers are gonna say : "no.... keep your money"

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

Hard copies are better. But to answer your question, greed.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@amyh7292 said:

Okay fair enough. But I mean I don't think a $5 discount would deter people from physical copies. You still get a much better deal if you have the actual disk... then I guess that more reiterates my other point... why would you ever buy a DD then for full value (assuming you don't already know it'll be worth it). It seems contradictory to create an online store that, as you said, isn't the manufacturers main target and also not the consumers first choice (hopefully)... so it's essentially for those enticed enough by "instant" gratification and otherwise a complete waste of your money. Again, I've bought DD not bashing those who do just trying to understand why you would then? Is 5-10% off really going to but stores out of business. That's open to everyone not just you @spike6958

I would say they could even get away with DD being ten dollars cheaper. People would still buy physical, because they want the freedom of being able to sell their games back (or lend them out or whatever).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because with a physical copy of a game, you aren't buying the game, but a license to use the software on the disc. With digital versions of these same games, you have that same license, but you also have the legal right to download unlimited copies of the game if you ever "lose" the original. Unfortunately, that isn't the case for physical copies. They aren't tied to an account... just a disc.

Since Steam has been a thing, I honestly haven't cared much for physical copies of games anymore (unless it's my only option). I love being able to log into my account on any computer and access my games.

And why would I want to sell my games? Every time I have, I've regretted it and often re-bought the game I sold later.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

This is a major reason why the vast majority of my games are still bought on disc... digital prices are ridiculous.

fully87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11 fully87
Member since 2013 • 69 Posts

Yeah DD are way over priced on the consoles, Steam is what Sony and Microsoft should be trying to replicate. This is from a 360 and Ps4 owner.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Well DD need to keep their system up so you can download it and in some cases play them.Well as long as allow you to play them.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 amyh7292

@foxhound_fox I get that, DD can be great if you already know you will like a title but if you're trying to get into something new why spend $60 on a game that's been out for a year that you can never trade in. If you've "never" had a game you didn't want to return or trade in, damn must be nice! I can't say the same...

If downloading is for you, that's cool. I can see the perks of it. I just can't justify there not being at least a $5-$10 difference in price. And how common is losing a game disk? I can't say I've ever done that but I can think of many things that can go wrong with buying digital games, even if its just something that's not the manufacturers fault like you not liking it. That seems like incentive enough to drop the price at least a LITTLE don't you think?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Because consoles.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bigboi500

@amyh7292: Well, consider this--most physical copies go down in price significantly just after a few months, yet digital stays full price much longer. Physical copies stay low once they've been reduced, but digital game sales only last a week or so, then return to the original price.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 amyh7292

@Bigboi500 Right, what's your point though? Just an example, I see that GTA V (PS3) is still $60 on digital download and that game has been out a year and a half now. Granted, it's very popular but that's a game that's $35-40 NEW in stores now, and even cheaper used. That seems to me as another example of why physical copies are a much better choice... yes?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@amyh7292: People have been complaining about that for a long ass time. That's why i don't buy full priced games digital. There's no advantage

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bigboi500

My point: physical might be more important to you, but not the publishers. They see physical as an ancient relic who's days are numbered.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#19  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Only game i can think of that i've bought digital was Guild Wars 2 because i didn't buy it till over a year after it came out and by then it was hard to find a retailer that sold it so i decided to get it digitally and it was slightly cheaper at the time because it was on sale.

I also bought Diablo 3 digitally on my 360 but only because microsoft told me my account balance was going to expire so i had to blow it on something. Normally i would have bought this game instead of wasting bandwidth downloading it.

Bandwidth is limited for me so its usually cheaper if i can buy a game in physical form rather then spend money on going over the limts on my internet. Plus it takes forever to download with some newer games being so big.

As it is, i think a digital form of a game should much cheaper.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Bandwidth costs

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@amyh7292 said:

It's a digital version of the game that can't be shared, sold, or transferred to a new system (generally).

If they [all digitally downloadable games] were cheaper than a physical copy, I get it.

So why the hell aren't they?!

Who buys a virtual copy of a game for full value? Would it make too much sense for the DD to be like 20% off?? I guess they make their money off the suckers that download games and are stuck with them and can't trade them in. I've downloaded a game before and instantly felt like an idiot.

Anyone agree/disagree?

What do you mean sell cheaper? with steam sales, bundles, other game sites sales and key sites. You would have to be pretty impatience to pay full price for any digital game.

HRC11201991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 HRC11201991
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

I know this post is old but I do have to agree DD should be cheaper than physical since physical discs/carts(DS, 3DS, Switch & Vita)  have to have a case, artwork for case cover, the disc/cart itself, label for said disc/cart, the manual if the even still do those anymore.  But I can also see why it's not cheaper cause say you do buy a physical game and take it home and try it then turns out you don't like it and return it to say GameStop they only want to say give you $35-$40 dollars for it, if it's a new release then resell it for close to or at the $59.99 or $60 dollar price tag for it used. For example Take Breath of the wild for the Nintendo Switch they want to give you $24.20 for trade credit and $19.36 cash if your a pro member and for non pro members $22.00 for store credit and $17.60 cash and turn around and sell it Pre-owned for $54.99 where it sells still new after 2 years for $59.99. So ur losing alot of money there.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#23 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I'm one of those people who buy digital only pretty much these days. I haven't owned physical copies since the PS3.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#24 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

It's a four year thread doods!

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points