Why I hate Square Enix and the Final Fantasy franchise.

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 PhantomEssence
Member since 2015 • 30 Posts

@BranKetra: I'll put it straight.

I believe they buy the games because Final Fantasy is in the title and not because of the game itself.

@srebmunahcnub never said everyone hates it.

Only that the game itself is bad.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#52 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@phantomessence said:

@BranKetra: I'll put it straight.

I believe they buy the games because Final Fantasy is in the title and not because of the game itself.

@srebmunahcnub never said everyone hates it.

Only that the game itself is bad.

I understood you, but you have not explained why that makes them gullible.

srebmunahcnub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 srebmunahcnub
Member since 2015 • 70 Posts

@phantomessence: im just disagreeing

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Final fantasy and their developers are sitting on a gold mine for stories but release these boring games that other RPG copy and make better. Golden Sun did there RPG better. Fire Emblem did there RTS better.

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 PhantomEssence

@BranKetra: Imo, the fact that they buy a game because of its franchise and not because of its content is enough for me to call them so.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 branketra

@phantomessence said:

@BranKetra: Imo, the fact that they buy a game because of its franchise and not because of its content is enough for me to call them so.

What if they are buying them because they are collectors?

I assume they would not be gullible simply because of their hobby.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@phantomessence said:

What if they do enjoy the new one and their content?

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

People latch onto franchise names and overweight them in all series! Look at how many copies RE6 sold.

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PhantomEssence

Collectors aside.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

@wiouds said:

@phantomessence said:

What if they do enjoy the new one and their content?

This is a very good point. Surely, having a different opinion than you on the quality of recent Final Fantasy games (and thus still finding SE a trustworthy developer and the content of recent FF games perfectly fine) doesn't qualify someone as being gullible.

Refresh220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 Refresh220
Member since 2014 • 49 Posts
@skelly34 said:

Same. I haven't enjoyed a FF game since VI.

FF6 is a damn good game, but thats a little too far lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

This isn't even a well thought out troll thread.

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 418

#63 AQWBlaZer91
Member since 2010 • 868 Posts

I think you have a point. Final Fantasy has been laying flat on it's backside after FFX. Square Enix just continues to milk the franchise with re-releases, sequels we didn't want and very bad releases. If XV doesn't get the franchise together again, it's all over. Some of us can actually see the corruption that has been going for the franchise, check my Top Ten Worst Final Fantasy games list for more info.

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 PhantomEssence

@Aljosa23:

I'd like to point out this guy has a FF pic as his avatar. Just an observation.

And also no, this is no troll thread.

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By matt2790
Member since 2014 • 184 Posts

I have always hated FF games.. indeed I have always hated turn based combat games (except Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and card games)

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PhantomEssence

@matt2790: I personally like Yu-Gi-Oh, but the anime is pointless.

However, beyond the Turn Based Combat FF uses, I'm talking about something that bugs me much more.

The setting. Final Fantasy has very, very good plot at the start (FF13 Ex: To opposite civilizations who hate each other, each of them different bla bla bla). Alright. Good plot.

Shame is that they RUIN it in less than 3-5 hours of Gameplay.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By wiouds

@AQWBlaZer91 said:

I think you have a point. Final Fantasy has been laying flat on it's backside after FFX. Square Enix just continues to milk the franchise with re-releases, sequels we didn't want and very bad releases. If XV doesn't get the franchise together again, it's all over. Some of us can actually see the corruption that has been going for the franchise, check my Top Ten Worst Final Fantasy games list for more info.

I think it not them milking it but more they are trying to force action game play into them and losing the fun game play that was in them. In other words it gamers screaming the game play is out of date and have no point being made and they are trying to make them happy/

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#68  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

The comparison of EA to Square Enix is phenomenally bad taste. Also, you seem to waiver between SE and the players as to where the blame lies. Well, it's really neither, because you're making the mistake that SE has everything going it's own way - which it doesn't. Besides, the FF brand has survived due to their careful (if you ask me) spot on release frequency. While the newer ones aren't as good, it only seems that way because everyone else has caught up, and there isn't much left to do without overhauling the entire brand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@phantomessence: You aren't making sense...

Eidos is Just Cause's publisher not Square Enix and Avalanche studios is the developer and not Square Enix.

How does Square Enix making FF games delay Just Cause ???

Also Square Enix being a Publisher and a Developer make it really hard for them to delay something even if they want to since they can allocate new games to their own developers and to other studios. I don't get this...

I understand your point about the crazy amount of FF games but that is the way of the japanese. It's in their culture.

They grow attached to characters and franchises and then they'll pay tribute to them all the way into oblivion. It's only natural that you see it as milking a franchise which is partly true. It's those execs at the top's fault.

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 AQWBlaZer91

@wiouds In other words they now attempt to modernise it but not make it deliverable as the past games or any of the Tales of Instalments in which I can probably guess that the franchise could now be inspired by now. Not a brilliant sign.

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PhantomEssence

@srebmunahcnub: @garywood69: @acp_45: You think I don't know that?

The vast majority of people think of Square Enix when they think of Deus Ex HR, despite how other 3 companies (counting besides SE and Eidos) were involved in the creation of it.

I never minded Deus Ex.

@AQWBlaZer91 Final Fantasy was a good franchise, the only think I despise SE for is for not having the balls to admit they EFFed up when making Final Fantasy 13 and the two that follow.

Actually they did make little commentary about 13. But if someone has any video of SE admitting failure regarding XIII-2 and LR:FF13 please send it to me.

@so_hai I'm partially comparing how they release games. SE is much better than EA. What I'm saying is that both companies, and before replying mark when I say IN MY OPINION milk their customers off a famous and overrated franchise.

@Assassin_87, @BranKetra After replying to many of BranKetra's posts I think I put clear the fact that I consider:

In my opinion :: A minority of the FF fanbase blindly follows any FF games and buys it because of its franchise and not its storyline, gameplay, mechanics or any other aspects. This obviously excluding collectors (which I still don't get why buy games if they're bad) and people who have a VALID reason as to why buy the game. I call people who simply buy a game by its franchise title gullible. That is my opinion, may not be exact or precise but it is and it stays.

@garywood69The Resident Evil franchise is a case apart that would need more discussion. I'd like to make this thread abide to the franchise mentioned. I however keep the point that people buy games because of its franchise in many, many ocassions.

@srebmunahcnub I find perfectly fine to like a game despise its horrible rating. I liked Call Of Duty Ghosts.

I am a person that, because of the fact I write my own fiction stories (literature) I honestly like a good game with a good storyline. And after seeing how SE brought me good games like The World Ends With You (mention because it's an RPG) I had my hopes up for a Final Fantasy game that, being in this generation (Because FF13 has very good graphics) was supposed to be good (specially because of its 5 years development).

They let me down.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#72 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu:

I remember that I liked XIII-2 more than the first but less than Lightnint Returns. What I liked in XIII-2 is when you travel at the end of time where Noel is born, it felt desparate but then this timeline doesn't exist in the end. Then the ending in LR my, that was a great idea.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 branketra

@phantomessence said:

In my opinion :: A minority of the FF fanbase blindly follows any FF games and buys it because of its franchise and not its storyline, gameplay, mechanics or any other aspects. This obviously excluding collectors (which I still don't get why buy games if they're bad) and people who have a VALID reason as to why buy the game. I call people who simply buy a game by its franchise title gullible. That is my opinion, may not be exact or precise but it is and it stays.

This is not a question with ill intent.

What do you think the word gullible means?

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 AQWBlaZer91

@phantomessence You are not going to believe it but when they released Lightning Returns they somehow knew about the reception that it was going to get. In my opinion on the matter they really should have thought twice before releasing it in the state that it is in.

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 PhantomEssence

@BranKetra: According to the dictionary "easily deceived or cheated"

According to myself "Easy to fool"

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 PhantomEssence

@AQWBlaZer91 Ha. Coming from Square Enix I can perfectly believe that. They rely on the franchise more than the game. I however can't really say that's true for sure. But if someone told me, I wouldn't really question it much.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 branketra

@phantomessence said:

@BranKetra: According to the dictionary "easily deceived or cheated"

According to myself "Easy to fool"

That seems reasonable. I have another question.

How about the word prestige?

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PhantomEssence

@BranKetra: According to the dictionary "reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, orother favorable attributes."

According to myself "Relevance due to a chain of positive events"

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 wiouds

@AQWBlaZer91 said:

@wiouds In other words they now attempt to modernise it but not make it deliverable as the past games or any of the Tales of Instalments in which I can probably guess that the franchise could now be inspired by now. Not a brilliant sign.

The Tales of games also suffer fro this but they are trying to make them so fast pace that it lose the fun strategy game play. They just do not have has richness enemies as the older ATB (not turn base) and the turn base games.

Worse they are making the games less fun because some people have the stupid ideal that turn base is out of date or too old to be used.

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 AQWBlaZer91

@wiouds The Tales games have always have impressive fast paced combat that was both challenging and rewarding that would never want to make the series go turn based. Back in the days Final Fantasy had enjoyable turn based battles that was rewarding but it had heart clenching moments that made each game epic. Anybody who had problems with the battle systems of the old games are people who hate turn based combat.

@phantomessence It is what the reception on Wikipedia says. Honestly I find it really insulting.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

@phantomessence said:

@BranKetra: According to the dictionary "reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes."

According to myself "Relevance due to a chain of positive events"

So your own definitions of words are basically just ripped from the dictionary and reworded conveniently to fit this particular thread and your ideas expressed herein?

Also, statistically speaking your gullibility argument falls to pieces, since even those rabid fans who are anticipating FFXV based on name alone have a long history of critically acclaimed games to point as the logical basis for their excitement, where as your own cynicism is founded largely on a tiny handful of recent missteps. Are they gullible? Or are you just blowing things out of proportion?

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I haven't touched any of the main Final Fantasy series since FFX. I have played the DS remakes of FFIII and FFIV. FFIV has always been one of if not my favorite Final Fantasy games of all time. FFIV and FFIX I hold really high and I also enjoyed the Crystal Chronicle games on the Gamecube and DS. One of the DS CC games, your armor sometimes represents old FF characters. I remember seeing Cecil and Kain' armor from FFIV and thought it was awesome. It was kind of odd playing as a cute kid with a high pitched voice going into caves and just destroying monsters though. I don't think I'll ever get back in the main FF series now, I think I've totally lost faith and interest in the series but if another CC or another Tactics is released, I'll probably check it out. It's sad when the spinoffs are more interesting than the flagship.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 wiouds

@AQWBlaZer91 said:

@wiouds The Tales games have always have impressive fast paced combat that was both challenging and rewarding that would never want to make the series go turn based. Back in the days Final Fantasy had enjoyable turn based battles that was rewarding but it had heart clenching moments that made each game epic. Anybody who had problems with the battle systems of the old games are people who hate turn based combat.

I never found the Tale of combat to be challenging or rewarding. I find all the enemies and even the bosses blind in together. Which is happening to FF as they try to become faster pace.

PhantomEssence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 PhantomEssence

@-paranorman-: Meh. I personally didn't like FFIV. I don't know. It felt odd. It was just an irrational "meh". Not saying it's bad though.

Just to tell you how much FF gets at my education centre people in my class often go "If you get a 10/10, I play Final Fantasy XIII-2"

It's f'ing hilarious.

AQWBlaZer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By AQWBlaZer91

@wiouds Maybe you need to put the Tales on the hardest settings, now they will prove more challenging.

samglover123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 samglover123
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

F1 2015 for PS4 looks great

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By wiouds

@AQWBlaZer91 said:

@wiouds Maybe you need to put the Tales on the hardest settings, now they will prove more challenging.

I can't. They don't go any higher.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I'm hoping FF 15 will have awesome moments. Remember when Final Fantasy had awesome moments! Or ya know, at least memorable moments

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

@phantomessence: I'm just in here because I take exception to the "god of all JRPG gamers" part. I'd say a good portion of the JRPG playerbase knows that Square Enix has fallen quite some distance since the Mistwalker guys left.

(They're also going to get better under new company president Yosuke Matsuda.)

The real JRPG gods are studios like GameArts (now GungHo) and Nihon Falcom. I also expect Galapagos RPG to join this list once they get their wheels spinning properly.

hampancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 hampancakes
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

@fize4ever said:
The gap between XIII and XV all took an entire generation between each other...

Don't think 6 years qualifies as a generation

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#92 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Final fantasy died after 10, the last acceptable game. IX was the really good final fantasy.

XII,XIII and its seauels I hated and couldnt play as everything I loved about final fantasy was absent in those games, especially XIII

Rom_Rom89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Rom_Rom89
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

My problem with 13 is that the characters had very exaggerated personalities.

I don't wanna go too much into it.

However, I will talk about what a terrible character Vanille was/is (imo).

For some reason, she kept having orgasms while just running around, and everytime she did, she absolutely had to vocalize it.

I was like "Isn't this game supposed to be PG13?"

Whenever I criticize Vanille, people always go "Yeah, but you need her at the end of the game. She's a very powerful character"

I just don't see how that's relevant to the story.

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#94  Edited By Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts

Please don't bump threads that are 5 months old.