Why has everyone forgot about GTA IV??

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

I liked the game a lot actually, but as with most people it gradually got less exciting later on. After playing GTA 4, I'm really really looking forward to the next GTA. If some of the shooting controls are improved, there's something like 3 or 4 times as many things to actually do in the city, and you can shape conversations yourself (a la mass effect), it could turn into an amazing game. The physics are there, the graphics are there, and the right mechanics for driving, shooting, outrunning the police, and using your cellphone. All they have to do now is tweak it, and expand on it, and the next game will surely grab GOTY.

GTA 4 is one of the best games this year I think, but I think it'll be runner up for GOTY.

pjvan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 pjvan67
Member since 2006 • 193 Posts
i think that the reason that people don't really care about gta4 that much is because it is old news now. more games did come out and some are better than gta4. other better games are coming out too.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#53 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

It´s a great game,but still a usual GTA without anything making it much better then the predecissors if you ask me,Not a bad thing,just not much to talk about.Plus all the Hype was going on my nerves anyway.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts
Well, thank you for the feedback. As far as ruining your desire to play it, that's your perogative, not mine. I guess certain people should have thought about that before starting this flame ware with me. I could name the culprits, but they know who they are. If they didn't troll a Saints Row thread to flame the game and try to convince everyone to "wait for GTA4" then this would never have gotten so far. Nor would I have been so persistant if certain ignorant Mods and posters didn't keep up their crap with me. They would flame the Saints Row series and worship GTA, but as soon as I argued the issues, they would whine to the Mods to have me modded and the threads locked.EnigManic

You just really can't let it go, can you? :)

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

GTA4 is superb. The social system was a big step forward. As opposed to interacting with people in extremely limited, predetermined ways, one is able to chose how and when you interact with people. The games (be it driving home drunk, bowling, playing darts, going for a helicopter ride or what have you) are fun, the dialogue was great and it was hilarious how badly things could go. I was really on the outs with my cousin after we got loaded, I tried to drive up home drunk, got into it with the cops, lost a door, and he fell out of the open door. He was then run over by the pursing cop car. The icing on the cake was that when my cousin phoned me the next day from the hospital and asked me to pick him up, I agreed, but something came up, so I kind of left him hanging once again :lol:.

The physics and cover systems made for some amazing fights/chases. *SPOILER ALERT* The bank job was amazing *END SPOILER*. Rear ending a car and then listening to the horn blare because the now unconcious driver was slumped against it was really cool, as was hitting a heavier vehicle and then bursting through the windshield and tumbling down the street. And it was really cool how guys could be out of the fight but not dead (I tended to put the wounded out of their misery, but listening to them plead for their lives and/or implore surviving buddies to call ambulances was always funny in a grim sort of way).

And the story and characters were the best the series has seen (the colorful characters, including not only the people you ran into but the DJs) were the best a series has seen, which is really saying something, since the writing of the GTA games (barring the PSP games) was always strong (characters like Tenpenny and Carolina are classic).

Of course, if gamers hate quality and just prefer poorly done 'wackiness' they have an alternative.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

I was really on the outs with my cousin after we got loaded, I tried to drive up home drunk, got into it with the cops, lost a door, and he fell out of the open door. He was then run over by the pursing cop car. The icing on the cake was that when my cousin phoned me the next day from the hospital and asked me to pick him up, I agreed, but something came up, so I kind of left him hanging once again :lol:.

CarnageHeart

These moments were awesome. I took Brucie for a wild night out, and while driving drunk back home we got the police chasing us. My lame driving skills caused us to crash repeatedly until the car was wrecked, and eventually caught fire. We jumped out of the car, but while I could clumsily run away before the explosion, Brucie couldn't, and got badly burned in the explosion. I managed to pick him up at the hospital, though.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#57 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Saints Row 2 is out.

Simple.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

GTA4 is superb. The social system was a big step forward. As opposed to interacting with people in extremely limited, predetermined ways, one is able to chose how and when you interact with people. The games (be it driving home drunk, bowling, playing darts, going for a helicopter ride or what have you) are fun, the dialogue was great and it was hilarious how badly things could go. I was really on the outs with my cousin after we got loaded, I tried to drive up home drunk, got into it with the cops, lost a door, and he fell out of the open door. He was then run over by the pursing cop car. The icing on the cake was that when my cousin phoned me the next day from the hospital and asked me to pick him up, I agreed, but something came up, so I kind of left him hanging once again :lol:.

The physics and cover systems made for some amazing fights/chases. *SPOILER ALERT* The bank job was amazing *END SPOILER*. Rear ending a car and then listening to the horn blare because the now unconcious driver was slumped against it was really cool, as was hitting a heavier vehicle and then bursting through the windshield and tumbling down the street. And it was really cool how guys could be out of the fight but not dead (I tended to put the wounded out of their misery, but listening to them plead for their lives and/or implore surviving buddies to call ambulances was always funny in a grim sort of way).

And the story and characters were the best the series has seen (the colorful characters, including not only the people you ran into but the DJs) were the best a series has seen, which is really saying something, since the writing of the GTA games (barring the PSP games) was always strong (characters like Tenpenny and Carolina are classic).

Of course, if gamers hate quality and just prefer poorly done 'wackiness' they have an alternative.

CarnageHeart
Yeah the game did have its good moments. I remember being a date with one of the girls and she was complaining she wasnt having a good time, so I sent my car hurtling off the warf with her in it, bailed out at the last second and then shot the car with a rocket launcher lol. That'll learn ya. I think the main issue people have though is that it focused too much on the production values and not enough on different and interesting things to do. The city really did feel kinda barren and there wasnt much to do besides the main missions.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Dire_Weasel

I completely agree that the interaction between the AI and the physics model of GTA IV made for some truly incredible, unscripted moments.

It was one of the things that made GTA IV seem more like a living world and less like a video game.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
It will probably get my vote, but people have short memory's and attention spans and GOTY will probably be something released later this year... as it usually is :?.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts

i think its lacked more things than improved ones so people were disappointed even critiques were pleased.

this is the first game without Tank and i think thats a BIG negative alone. they improved gameplay in San Andreas and they left all good gameplay elements people loved out

TheLegendKnight
Yeah, just about everything great they had in GTA: SA was taken out for some reason.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#62 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I think most people have lost interest due to lack of replay value and delayed DLC.

n00b1337

For me it is that and because Saints Row 2 just pimp slapped it.

Also a lot of other good games have come out since it's release.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GodModeEnabled
It will probably get my vote, but people have short memory's and attention spans and GOTY will probably be something released later this year... as it usually is :?.SapSacPrime
Thats not always the case, RE4 still won after being released in like Feburary or something.
Kentisc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Kentisc
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts
I haven't forgot about, I still sometimes play it
VegetaJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65 VegetaJr
Member since 2006 • 1437 Posts

[QUOTE="SapSacPrime"]It will probably get my vote, but people have short memory's and attention spans and GOTY will probably be something released later this year... as it usually is :?.GodModeEnabled
Thats not always the case, RE4 still won after being released in like Feburary or something.

True, and Lost Odyssey came out pretty early in the year too, and it still has GOTY wrapped, still.

What? It does! For me. *cough*

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#66 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

CarnageHeart

I'll agree with a few things you've said. The social interaction was a big step, Drunk Driving in GTa leads to funny situations, you did name the unanimous best mission in the game, and the story and characters were great.

Now that that's over with I don't see how social interaction was a big step in the right direction. You had Roman, a whiney jackass, Brucie, a stereotypica jock, the jamacian who was hard to understand without subtitles and some useless girlfriends, an irishman and a black guy. The only ones I found actually enjoyable to hang out with were Brucie and the Irish fellow. The rest is like picking 4-5 people you don't like from work, hanging out with them and saying it was fun just because you can hang out with them.

Naming random things that happen in a game is also situational. Yesterday playing SR 2 I saw a tag team match of two pimps fighting two cops after one pimp ran over and slapped a ho. There were trash bags and cinderblocks being thrown, batons changing hands and this all culminated with on cop getting tossed head first into a brickwall and landing in the most painful position while the other one met his end by being thrown into the ambulance trying to save the first cop.

Darts was a skillless game that was the worst interpretation of darts i've ever seen. I have better bowling games on my cellphone and if you think sitting in a copter and watching the city go by is fun...DO NOT BUT SR 2... even the most boring activity will make you %^&* your pants in sheer joy.

Of course if gamers hate fun (since when is a game that's rated over an 8 poor?) and just prefer 10,000,000 count polygons and cut scenes, they have an alternative.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

smerlus

I'll agree with a few things you've said. The social interaction was a big step, Drunk Driving in GTa leads to funny situations, you did name the unanimous best mission in the game, and the story and characters were great.

Now that that's over with I don't see how social interaction was a big step in the right direction. You had Roman, a whiney jackass, Brucie, a stereotypica jock, the jamacian who was hard to understand without subtitles and some useless girlfriends, an irishman and a black guy. The only ones I found actually enjoyable to hang out with were Brucie and the Irish fellow. The rest is like picking 4-5 people you don't like from work, hanging out with them and saying it was fun just because you can hang out with them.

Naming random things that happen in a game is also situational. Yesterday playing SR 2 I saw a tag team match of two pimps fighting two cops after one pimp ran over and slapped a ho. There were trash bags and cinderblocks being thrown, batons changing hands and this all culminated with on cop getting tossed head first into a brickwall and landing in the most painful position while the other one met his end by being thrown into the ambulance trying to save the first cop.

Darts was a skillless game that was the worst interpretation of darts i've ever seen. I have better bowling games on my cellphone and if you think sitting in a copter and watching the city go by is fun...DO NOT BUT SR 2... even the most boring activity will make you %^&* your pants in sheer joy.

Of course if gamers hate fun (since when is a game that's rated over an 8 poor?) and just prefer 10,000,000 count polygons and cut scenes, they have an alternative.

Extensive customization and quality storytelling don't have to be mutually exclusive (KOTOR offered quite a bit of customization and an incredible plot) but I'll take interesting characters and strong writing over the ability to create a shemale who leads a gang of pirates or what have you.

*Shrugs* Gaming is all about fun. If you are soiling yourself on a regular basis while playig SR2, it appears that its the game for you.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

CarnageHeart

And that's really the point.

I own SR2 and it's a good game but it doesn't even begin to touch the brilliant minutia of GTAIV.

As a point of fact, the more I play SR2, the more I appreciate just how amazing GTAIV really is.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Grammaton-Cleric

name a single player game that kept bugging you to go on dates and hang out with friends to artificially lengthen the game along with portions of the game where you'd have to wait for contacts to call you before you can continue with the game?

If I played Mercenaries 2 and my real life friends called every 10 minutes and wanted to get drunk and play darts, that game would have taken a long time too.

smerlus

Funny, because I played through the entire game and had minimal issues with the whole cell phone/date thing. Most of the time I simply ignored the calls as almost all of it was OPTIONAL.

I don't know what your post added to mine. I wasn't saying you had to do the dates but when the game didn't feel like progressing because contacts important the the plot weren't calling, it was either play darts by myself or finally answer the calls of the annoying bastards that kept giving me a thumbs down when i ignored them.

Yes it's optional but do you have anything to say about how the game artificially lengthened gametime?

I didn't intend to "add" anything to your post. I was refuting the assertion that cell phone calls inflated the game artificially because in my experience, they did no such thing.

The cell phone was merely a way to facilitate optional side missions so if that constitutes an artificial expansion of game play, so too do all of the side missions in SR2 and every other sandbox game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 190586385885857957282413308806

I didn't intend to "add" anything to your post. I was refuting the assertion that cell phone calls inflated the game artificially because in my experience, they did no such thing.

The cell phone was merely a way to facilitate optional side missions so if that constitutes an artificial expansion of game play, so too do all of the side missions in SR2 and every other sandbox game.

Grammaton-Cleric

Buuuuuut when we're talking about the length of a game, it doesn't seem right to total in the time you're standing around doing nothing because the game plot won't progress, forcing you to do dates and side missions you don't want to do to pass time.

The only difference between GTA IV and my Mercs 2 analogy is who is responsible for the break in gameplay. In GTA IV there are portions of the game where the story just stops you from continuing. If you did the same thing while Mercs 2 manually could you say that game is actually longer?

Avatar image for deactivated-64b7010800769
deactivated-64b7010800769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-64b7010800769
Member since 2007 • 2011 Posts

No game deserves a 10. GTA IV was fun, but a few graphical bugs (pop-in) and a lack of replay value (unless multiplayer had rankings, I'm not sure) kinda hurt it. I'd have given it a score of 8.5-9, had I reviewed it. Sandbox gameplay is nice, but GTA doesn't have a monopoly.

As long as we're denouncing perfect 10s, let's go after MGS 4.:D This one i think gets a 9-9.5 score, due to overly superfluous story, and also because I've never been a Japanese-style gamer anyway, so I disagree somewhat with the styling. Still, that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. You're entitled to yours. This is a forum, so I have the right to give my 2 cents. Don't flame me.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#73 EnigManic
Member since 2008 • 1804 Posts

The cell phone was merely a way to facilitate optional side missions so if that constitutes an artificial expansion of game play, so too do all of the side missions in SR2 and every other sandbox game.Grammaton-Cleric

I fail to see the validity of your point here. You think the side missions in SR@ articificially inflate game time? Okay, let's evaluate this.

GTA4 - side missions are optional and offer you interactions with other characters and some perks IF you can maintain high appeal with certain characters. You will constantly get calls bugging you to go do stuff throughout the game, sometimes even in the middle of a mission.

Saints Row 2 - The side activities are optional. There is no prompting you to do any of them except when you need a higher respect level to unlock more story missions. There are a lot of different activites which are very fun. Completing these activites rewards you with unlockable content, including bonus weapons and clothing, and character upgrades such as improved accuracy, endurance and damage resistance.

super_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 super_police
Member since 2003 • 884 Posts

Its only 8 months old and some of us dont have a copy yet either. I know personally I am a wait-for-twenty-dollar-pricetag guy especially on big name titles that will most certainly come down.

I expect to really enjoy it though as Vice City and San Andreas are among my faves.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 EnigManic

I really hope this is the last time I feel the need to post to this thread. There are about 4 people who seem to be the poster children for glorifying GTA4 and putting down SR2. For the record, AGAIN, I would never have particpated in any of these threads if those certain GTA fanatics hadn't trolled a thread trying to convince people not to play Saints Row.

Another thing that seems to need clarification: By definition, a sandbox game is one that is non-linear in an open-world environment where you get to have fun doing whatever you want. Volition may have sacrificed quality of graphics to focus on pushing the envelope with SR2 to meet the definition of a true sandbox. By comparisn, GTA4 seems like a very linear and boring game.

What's ironic is that I don't even get mad at these threads anymore. I post here in my spare time at work. When I go home, I get a good morning's rest and then I gleefully emerse myself in the expansive city of Stillwater for plenty of thrills and fun and I get to do it anyway I want, the way a sandbox game was meant to be. So the closed-minded people here can continue spewing their nonsense. I will continue to argue their silly points of view as long as they continue trying to convince people not to like SR2. Meanwhile, I will be whole-heartedly enjoying this game for many months to come. Of course, it will be difficult balancing my gaming time between Saints Row 2 and Fable 2.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#76 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
I really hope this is the last time I feel the need to post to this thread. There are about 4 people who seem to be the poster children for glorifying GTA4 and putting down SR2. For the record, AGAIN, I would never have particpated in any of these threads if those certain GTA fanatics hadn't trolled a thread trying to convince people not to play Saints Row.EnigManic

You know, you don't *have* to post in these threads. Nobody is pulling your arm behind your back.

One of the more obvious trends in your posting is to blame others for your posts, especially when those posts go sour. Feel free to discuss the issue (politely), but don't try to blame the content of your posts on the users you are responding to, as if you are completely innocent of your words because you feel prodded by others. If a user trolls you in some fashion, the proper response isn't a trolling post of your own.

I will continue to argue their silly points of view as long as they continue trying to convince people not to like SR2. Meanwhile, I will be whole-heartedly enjoying this game for many months to come. Of course, it will be difficult balancing my gaming time between Saints Row 2 and Fable 2.EnigManic

Uncalled for, and *exactly* the point I was making above. If you can't make your point without attempting to annoy or insult your opponents, then by all means don't post.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]The cell phone was merely a way to facilitate optional side missions so if that constitutes an artificial expansion of game play, so too do all of the side missions in SR2 and every other sandbox game.EnigManic

I fail to see the validity of your point here. You think the side missions in SR@ articificially inflate game time? Okay, let's evaluate this.

GTA4 - side missions are optional and offer you interactions with other characters and some perks IF you can maintain high appeal with certain characters. You will constantly get calls bugging you to go do stuff throughout the game, sometimes even in the middle of a mission.

Saints Row 2 - The side activities are optional. There is no prompting you to do any of them except when you need a higher respect level to unlock more story missions. There are a lot of different activites which are very fun. Completing these activites rewards you with unlockable content, including bonus weapons and clothing, and character upgrades such as improved accuracy, endurance and damage resistance.

Thank you so much for making my point for me. By your own admission, the side quests in SR2 aren't actually optional because they require you to do them to raise respect and therefore open up the story missions. Well, that would technically be a way of artificially inflating the game length because the design of SR2 forces you to complete a certain number of these side missions before progressing the actual core game.

The cell phone in GTAIV is really the same type of mechanism although actually far less restrictive because in most cases, you can ignore the calls. If the argument that you and Smerlus are making is that these constant calls bog down game play, I'd love to nominate you both for most exaggerated complaint of the year. I've logged in at least 40 hours playing through the story in GTAIV and those calls probably have a combined time of around 20 minutes.

I'd also like to point out that I don't actually think the side missions in SR2 artificially inflate the game. Had you actually taken the time to read my post instead of spending all your energy constructing yet another pseudo-intellectual diatribe, you'd have gleaned that my point was that both games use optional side missions to elongate their respective lengths, which is perfectly acceptable. The real problem is that you and Smerlus are trying to wage some pedantic war of semantics that just isn't housed in anything of actual substance and continue to prove just how incredibly biased both of you are.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

smerlus

Buuuuuut when we're talking about the length of a game, it doesn't seem right to total in the time you're standing around doing nothing because the game plot won't progress, forcing you to do dates and side missions you don't want to do to pass time.

Buuuuuuuuut SR2 forces you to play side missions (some of which I don't want to do) to earn respect to open up the story missions.

Sounds essentially like the same concept to me, albeit different in execution.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 EnigManic

Grammaton, you really make my head hurt sometimes. You are arguing that the activites in SR2 are "artificially inflating the gameplay". This just shows that you haven't even played the game. The fact that you need to do some activites to earn respect to unlock some missions makes perfect sense. In the real world, you don't just start carrying out operations against other gangs. People don't automatically start following you. You have to earn their trust and respect first.

And as for Mozart's comments, you can keep beating around the bush and arguing semantics, it doesn't change anything. It is an undisputable fact that this entire fued started in the "SR1" thread. I'm sure we can go through the forum lists to find it and read what someone wrote to start this whole thing. So I'm going to continue expressing my opinion whether anyone likes it or not. I'll say again, when the GTA fanatics stop trying to convince people not to play Saints Row 2, then I'll stop arguing about it. In the meantime, take comfort knowing that I'm not losing any sleep over this. Point of fact, I'm technically getting paid for this, since I post here while at work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="smerlus"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Buuuuuuuuut SR2 forces you to play side missions (some of which I don't want to do) to earn respect to open up the story missions.

Buuuuut side missions are apart of the game in Saint's Row 2 and if you don't like doing it don't buy the game.

However, It doesn't state anywhere in reviews for GTA IV nor in the manual that suddenly the plot will stop occasionally leaving you nothing to do in the mean time besides go on dates with your friends or chase pigeons.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Grammaton-Cleric
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"][QUOTE="smerlus"]

smerlus

Buuuuut side missions are apart of the game in Saint's Row 2 and if you don't like doing it don't buy the game.

However, It doesn't state anywhere in reviews for GTA IV nor in the manual that suddenly the plot will stop occasionally leaving you nothing to do in the mean time besides go on dates with your friends or chase pigeons.

And the cell phone is a part of GTAIV. Same logic, yes?

I never once had a problem finding out where my next mission was in GTAIV. Like SR2, opening up a story mission usually meant doing some sort of activity or making a phone call. As I stated previously, the actual amount this added to my completion time was probably less than 20 minutes total. That's less than one percent of the time I spent playing the game.

You really are reaching now, aren't you?

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Grammaton-Cleric

Grammaton, you really make my head hurt sometimes. You are arguing that the activites in SR2 are "artificially inflating the gameplay". This just shows that you haven't even played the game. The fact that you need to do some activites to earn respect to unlock some missions makes perfect sense. In the real world, you don't just start carrying out operations against other gangs. People don't automatically start following you. You have to earn their trust and respect first.

EnigManic

I haven't played the game, huh? That's all you've got left in the ammo crate? Accusing me of lying about playing a game I'm literally typing a few feet away from?

And again, I never said SR2 artificially inflates the game length. What I stated was that if what GTAIV does with the cell phone is artificial inflation, then so too are the side missions in SR2 and every other sandbox game.

In other words, let's be equitable and just admit both games use a similar structure in how they deliver content.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 EnigManic
...I never said SR2 artificially inflates the game length. What I stated was that if what GTAIV does with the cell phone is artificial inflation, then so too are the side missions in SR2 and every other sandbox game.

In other words, let's be equitable and just admit both games use a similar structure in how they deliver content.Grammaton-Cleric

Hmm.. sounds like the same thing to me and those are your words. What was this post meant to accomplish?

Avatar image for wafflesareyummy
wafflesareyummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 wafflesareyummy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I haven't forgotten about GTA IV and I still play it from time to time. But seeing as how other things come up and I'm poor 95% of the times, I have yet to be able to get any other games for the PS3 and it SUCKS!

I could go steal MGS4 from my brother, but he'd notice and that could be bad. I've asked him if I could borrow it, but he won't give it to me to borrow. I wish he would just cooperate and let me borrow it!

I have a friend who has a few games for the PS3. He's not willing to part with any of them, though. I need friends who are willing to share their games. Lol. I never destroy anything that I own or anything that I borrow. I'm pretty anal about how this stuff gets taken care of.
lionheart85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 lionheart85
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
It's a good game,but it's not oustanding like Gears Of War.
CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
I still screw around in GTA4 daily. I don't much like the look of Saints Row 2, and having seen the game in action, it seems to have some real issues with the driving and physics, it just looks wonky beyond belief. GTA: San Andreas is going to be downloadable over XBL Monday, between it and the newest game, I'm more than covered for my sandbox needs between the more serious and the more goofy and sometimes weird. I may rent SR2 in a few years though, or buy it for ten bucks from the bargain bins it's destined for, if they patch it and resolve a few issues.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Dire_Weasel

And as for Mozart's comments, you can keep beating around the bush and arguing semantics, it doesn't change anything. It is an undisputable fact that this entire fued started in the "SR1" thread. I'm sure we can go through the forum lists to find it and read what someone wrote to start this whole thing. So I'm going to continue expressing my opinion whether anyone likes it or not. I'll say again, when the GTA fanatics stop trying to convince people not to play Saints Row 2, then I'll stop arguing about it. In the meantime, take comfort knowing that I'm not losing any sleep over this. Point of fact, I'm technically getting paid for this, since I post here while at work.

EnigManic

For a guy that hopes he'll never make another post in this thread, you sure aren't trying very hard

At this point you've written a small book on why you hate GTA IV and love SR2, but you continue to blame your obsession on other posters and the moderators as if they're forcing you to hit the submit button.

Your new tactic seems to involve justifying why you've spent so much time and effort defending your point of view here. Now I can add "model employee" to my list of phrases that describe you.

pdizzel87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 pdizzel87
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts

I thought it was a good game but is only worth one play through as it gets very repetitive. One of the big problems with it though is that its almost too realistic and takes the fun out of gaming that the previous GTAs had. Do u remember in the old GTAs when u got 6 stars and the army came after you? yet you can't even drive a tank in GTA 4. There are very few interesting vehicles in GTA 4. Same for the weapons, all the weapons in GTA 4 are pretty standard and there are no 'crazy' weapons that you can just have fun with.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts

For a guy that hopes he'll never make another post in this thread, you sure aren't trying very hard

Dire_Weasel

Getting the last word in on the internet in an argument with an anonymous person is just about the most important thing in the whole world.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

Replying only to the OP title, GTAIV is forgotten because it is easily forgettable. the gameplay lacks depth. the missions are uninspired. the game is repetative and without reason to succeed. while the game has great atmosphere and detail, it lacks a soul once you scratch below the surface.

ommin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ommin
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I have yet to play the game on PC when it is to be released in Dec. and i think the other games that have been out there have taken the spotlight that was for GTA IV
redpyramidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 redpyramidman
Member since 2008 • 155 Posts
MGS4 overshadows everything combined.
NYCKing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 NYCKing87
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

Well, I think folks just got tired of it. I'm sure that by this point, more than enough people have replayed the game more then once and were ready to move on to something else.

After my second playthrough, I had enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 190586385885857957282413308806

And the cell phone is a part of GTAIV. Same logic, yes?

I never once had a problem finding out where my next mission was in GTAIV. Like SR2, opening up a story mission usually meant doing some sort of activity or making a phone call. As I stated previously, the actual amount this added to my completion time was probably less than 20 minutes total. That's less than one percent of the time I spent playing the game.

You really are reaching now, aren't you?

Grammaton-Cleric

I wouldn't say it's the same logic.

In SR 1 & 2, you HAVE to do side missions to beat the game and the game states this, reviews state this and the manual states this. This is an important part of the gameplay just like shooting things in Halo.

In GTA IV, it shouldn't be an important part but there are parts of the story where the plot stops. I was on my way for the under 30 hour achievement when I realized that no new missions were popping up for a good 30 minutes despite me calling everyone in the contact list. What do you do when a game stops prgressing on you? the boring side mission. I realize now that this may have been a glitch since nobody else seems to have had the same experience.

anyways this was about artificially extending gameplay but I realize it may have just been someone a few people faced.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 EnigManic
In GTA IV, it shouldn't be an important part but there are parts of the story where the plot stops. I was on my way for the under 30 hour achievement when I realized that no new missions were popping up for a good 30 minutes despite me calling everyone in the contact list. What do you do when a game stops prgressing on you? the boring side mission. I realize now that this may have been a glitch since nobody else seems to have had the same experience.

anyways this was about artificially extending gameplay but I realize it may have just been someone a few people face.smerlus

It's not just you. It happened to me at least three times. I finished one mission, then had to free roam messing around and doing the stupid side crap before another mission finally popped up.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="smerlus"] In GTA IV, it shouldn't be an important part but there are parts of the story where the plot stops. I was on my way for the under 30 hour achievement when I realized that no new missions were popping up for a good 30 minutes despite me calling everyone in the contact list. What do you do when a game stops prgressing on you? the boring side mission. I realize now that this may have been a glitch since nobody else seems to have had the same experience.

anyways this was about artificially extending gameplay but I realize it may have just been someone a few people face.EnigManic

It's not just you. It happened to me at least three times. I finished one mission, then had to free roam messing around and doing the stupid side crap before another mission finally popped up.

This happened to me a good three or four times too. I didnt think it was that big of a deal but its kinda irksome as I didnt care much at all for the side activitys in GTA IV outside the chop shop.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#98 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

For GOTY everyone is saying MGS4 and GoW2 and Dead space and stuff, but the thing people forgot is theat GTA IV got perfect 10, and it is so muchg more improved from its past games and stuff.

wjb428

Alot of people think its good, but its not a 10 in most people minds, improved? Outside of the graphics I wouldn't say the game has improve at all...San Andreas had better gameplay then GTA IV.

EquiIibrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 EquiIibrium
Member since 2008 • 303 Posts

It was hyped so much.. I even remember waiting for that bloody countdown that resulted in some people not even being able to see the trailer till it was shown on other sites due to overload. In which afterwards the internet exploded into an "OMFGZ! GTA!" frenzy.

So then comes the day, i've got the bugger in my grasp and i put it in. Amazing.. it blew me away at first.

Then gradually I noticed something wasn't right, I went to Algonquin for the first time. It was night and I was just cruising through Star Junction shocked by the amazing sight before me, eventually I decided to actually check some places out there instead of simply sightseeing. I spot what looks like an Arcade/Casino, "Sweet" I think.. but when I reach the door? You can't **** go in. I go to loads more places that catch my eye just to turn away in massive disappointment that the place is just a dud.

The more I played the game the more disappointments I came across and in the end I had to force myself to play it let alone complete it.

The most fun I had on GTAIV was the 'Three Leaf Clover' mission and randomly taking hostage of a Hospital after dieing.

Its the most boring GTA in the series imo and It becomes more evident when I do the ol' "Die-and-trade" with a few friends. I find it intensely boring watching others on IV maybe having a chuckle once an hour where-as on others i'd be laughing every minute. Even when its my turn playing it I get bored easily and start running short of ideas like everyone else.

Despite its "Hey look at me, im cool" things like watching a tv.. on your tv, in a virtual world, or using a cellphone.. it really doesn't add anything that adds more fun to the series. If anything IV sucks alot of fun out of it.

HummaKavula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#100 HummaKavula
Member since 2007 • 850 Posts
After all the talk about GTA IV being The Godfather of video games and having such a great story, characters and emotional impact bullcrap I think people were expecting alot more than was possible. It's still a good game, though. But 10? Nope.