Why do people prefer story over gameplay?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]I like becoming immersed in a fantastical world -- helps take my mind off of things. As far as gameplay is concerned, as long as it is decent enough to complement the great story in the RPG, I don't care all that much. :P

OMG you said "Decent" ! Is this happening ? Is this REALLY happening ? Who the hell gets out of Bed for Decent !

I play more for the story than the gameplay.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]I like becoming immersed in a fantastical world -- helps take my mind off of things. As far as gameplay is concerned, as long as it is decent enough to complement the great story in the RPG, I don't care all that much. :P

OMG you said "Decent" ! Is this happening ? Is this REALLY happening ? Who the hell gets out of Bed for Decent !

Good for you. But please give the gameplay alil more scrutiny. Do it for all our fallen video game brothers and sisters.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#53 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with prefering story over gameplay. Different gamers play for different things. The beauty of games is that there are so many different kinds of games, including gameplay heavy and story driven games. For me, I like both. I play stuff like Borderlands, Bayonetta, Demon's Souls, and Disgaea for the gameplay mainly. I'll play stuff like Heavy Rain for the story. And I'll play games like Persona 3 and 4, Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, and Devil Survivor for both. I like 'em all. :P

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lulekani

I don't see anything wrong with prefering story over gameplay. Different gamers play for different things. The beauty of games is that there are so many different kinds of games, including gameplay heavy and story driven games. For me, I like both. I play stuff like Borderlands, Bayonetta, Demon's Souls, and Disgaea for the gameplay mainly. I'll play stuff like Heavy Rain for the story. And I'll play games like Persona 3 and 4, Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, and Devil Survivor for both. I like 'em all. :P

Lucky_Krystal
Allright thats it I can't be silent any longer. Do you have time for books and Television ? I just gota know.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

Allright thats it I can't be silent any longer. Do you have time for books and Television ? I just gota know.

Lulekani

Are you suggesting that games shouldn't have stories because books and television do? If so, what's your rationale?

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="Lulekani"] OMG you said "Decent" ! Is this happening ? Is this REALLY happening ? Who the hell gets out of Bed for Decent !Lulekani

Good for you. But please give the gameplay alil more scrutiny. Do it for all our fallen video game brothers and sisters.

Enough of your trolling.

Grow up.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Lucky_Krystal
Agreed. I do the same thing and I've played some of those games and others for the very same reasons.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
It's not a big mystery. Some people like different kinds of games for different reasons. Or feel like playing different kinds of games depending on mood.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]

capaho

Are you suggesting that games shouldn't have stories because books and television do? If so, what's your rationale?

I'm wondering why he asked that too. :?

To answer your question Lulekani, I'm not very big on movies these days. I do read a lot, but its mostly non fiction. What does that have to do with what I said though?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#60 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

[QUOTE="capaho"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]Allright thats it I can't be silent any longer. Do you have time for books and Television ? I just gota know.Lucky_Krystal

I'm wondering why he asked that too. :?

Same here. What an odd question...

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

I know some people who only really like the story and not to not actually play the game. Sounds weird, but games are no longer just "games" they cover everything that doesnt have any story that is just multiplayer gaming to something that has almost no gameplay but is pure story driven such as Heavy Rain.

The attraction that I dont see is making a game so simple that is a simple click next click next click next, when the story isnt very good, or people who play RTS games just against bots and wont take on actual people. I suppose if they lose they dont like that.. xD

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]

capaho

Well Capaho, its like this. If your getting alot of your narrative needs from video games then whats your aproach to books and movies. And more importantly how do you manage your precious precious time ?
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"][QUOTE="Lulekani"] OMG you said "Decent" ! Is this happening ? Is this REALLY happening ? Who the hell gets out of Bed for Decent !

I would go into more depth if I wasn't just taking a 3-minute break from finals studying, but I guess it is the same reason I play tabletop RPGs. I love being immersed, becoming engaged, and letting my imagination run free as I conquer the forces of evil, save hot babes from distress, cast ludicrously awesome spells, etc. The gameplay definitely *matters* but I would rather have an incredible story with gameplay that doesn't do too much for me, rather than superb gameplay with a horrifically bad story tacked on. Then again I'm just talking about RPGs; if we're talking about adventure games/platformers/action games, well then. Gameplay > story.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="capaho"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]

Lulekani

Well Capaho, its like this. If your getting alot of your narrative needs from video games then whats your aproach to books and movies. And more importantly how do you manage your precious precious time ?

You seem to have some beef against anyone who says that they enjoy stories in video games.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="capaho"]

Lucky_Krystal

You seem to have some beef against anyone who says that they enjoy stories in video games.

beef ? No sir. Im not shy about expressing beef. And as for the issue at hand, Im just curious and probing this topic might help me emerge as a truly enlightened human being. I mean if thats okay with you ? (Please say its okay)
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

Lulekani

Narrative needs? You seem to be on a train of thought that no one else is riding. Games and other forms of entertainment or intellectual endeavors that involve stories are not mutually exclusive. Time management is manageable for those of us who have need for it. Are you suggesting that games shouldn't have stories because other media do? If so, your logic escapes me.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]

capaho

Narrative needs? You seem to be on a train of thought that no one else is riding. Games and other forms of entertainment or intellectual endeavors that involve stories are not mutually exclusive. Time management is manageable for those of us who have need for it. Are you suggesting that games shouldn't have stories because other media do? If so, your logic escapes me.

narrative in media, regardless of how similar they are, stil remain unique to its medium, stories in books/graphic novels arent like stories in film and television. But video games, they havent pushed hard enough. Journey and heavey rain and the walking dead are a step in the right direction but one can't help but sense some hesitation on the side of developers and their target audience. Lets put a stop to medium leaching and pave our own way through this wonderful medium.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="capaho"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]

Lulekani

narrative in media, regardless of how similar they are, stil remain unique to its medium, stories in books/graphic novels arent like stories in film and television. But video games, they havent pushed hard enough. Journey and heavey rain and the walking dead are a step in the right direction but one can't help but sense some hesitation on the side of developers and their target audience. Lets put a stop to medium leaching and pave our own way through this wonderful medium.

Now, how would you suggest we do that? And also, I don't see how this statement explains why you've hopped on everyone in this thread who enjoys story over gameplay and told them to drop their video games and go read a book or see a movie.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="capaho"]

Lucky_Krystal

Now, how would you suggest we do that? And also, I don't see how this statement explains why you've hopped on everyone in this thread who enjoys story over gameplay and told them to drop their video games and go read a book or see a movie.

Its a slow hot sunday and I honestly have nothing better to do than troll and critisize video games and their respective gamers. But fear not, come monday the balance wil be restored. But until then use this time to reflect on some of the greatest and worst video game stories this past two years.
godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
I prefer to have great story, great gameplay and great graphics. Why cant we have them all?!
Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts
I prefer to have great story, great gameplay and great graphics. Why cant we have them all?!godfather_1
Because programmers have to choose.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
I enjoy the experience as a whole and depending on the game, the story can compliment the game play. I love a good story in a game but if the gameplay is crap then It's difficult to care. It can also engage you into continuing. If I want to play an arcade game i'll play an arcade game if I want to play a game with heavy emphasis on story I'll play that. I don't see why all games should adapt to a single format. I must say though that narratives within games are becoming increasingly better within recent years, I look forward to seeing how it progresses within the years. It still has some cliches and issues within alot of game stories but still early years I suppose and can be easily fixed soon.
godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
Well in my opinions, Dishonoured covered all those areas, it had a good story, gameplay and graphics, similar to the Batman games.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but stories in video games are on the level of a Michael Bay movie or Jerry Springer. If that's your thing then good for you, but you have low standards for entertainment and story telling.

I'm not saying video game stories can't be entertaining, but I can't see why anyone would prefer a sub-par story over gameplay in a video game, especially when books, and to a lesser extent, movies, do it so much better.

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

[QUOTE="Justin_G"]

*blah*

games are meaningless actions.

games are meaningless, and action filled.

story is useless. good story is good... but utterly unimportant to a game. if it's fun it's fun and it's good. end of story. anyone who disagrees will probably want to whine about some games they don't like, as examples of why games need a story. i will save you the trouble and just tell you now... your idea of games are not what games ARE. stop asking for stupid crud that is unimportant for GAMING. THANK YOU.

PetJel

Gaming has evolved over the years. It's not a straight dictionary term. Even though I agree the gameplay is more important than the story, it's fine if there are story dependant games. Different types of games can exist next to eachother.

sure, i actually agree with you. just because that's true, however, i don't believe that one needs to hate on a game and want it to change or not exist, because it doesn't fit their paradigm of what makes a game and what makes it good to them.

that's just asinine, when people do that.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but stories in video games are on the level of a Michael Bay movie or Jerry Springer. If that's your thing then good for you, but you have low standards for entertainment and story telling.

I'm not saying video game stories can't be entertaining, but I can't see why anyone would prefer a sub-par story over gameplay in a video game, especially when books, and to a lesser extent, movies, do it so much better.

Bigboi500
I agree that videogame stories are overwhelmingly BAD, but that doesn't mean that they are pointless. Even the bad stories serve a very good purpose. It's not a matter of choosing stories or gameplay, the two affect each other. In many cases, a weak and shallow story has value in the same sense as a map has value. It indicates where players are supposed to go, so they aren't just wandering around aimlessly. And I already commented on another thing, the point that story (even a bad one) serves as a mere incentive to keep playing. That in many ways it's a lot like level upgrades. People get bored as hell if they aren't periodically rewarded for their efforts, and "story" fits into that mold by periodically giving people goals and rewards.
dreammaker01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 dreammaker01
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
The reason is that gamers get more when there's a story. But personally just like bowserjr123 said " I'd rather watch a movie or a TV show really when story is what I am looking for.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#78 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

MrGeezer

I agree that videogame stories are overwhelmingly BAD, but that doesn't mean that they are pointless. Even the bad stories serve a very good purpose. It's not a matter of choosing stories or gameplay, the two affect each other. In many cases, a weak and shallow story has value in the same sense as a map has value. It indicates where players are supposed to go, so they aren't just wandering around aimlessly. And I already commented on another thing, the point that story (even a bad one) serves as a mere incentive to keep playing. That in many ways it's a lot like level upgrades. People get bored as hell if they aren't periodically rewarded for their efforts, and "story" fits into that mold by periodically giving people goals and rewards.

Oh I agree totally, that's why I said they are still entertaining. Without them there wouldn't be a point to finishing a lot of games.

I enjoy them just like I do B-class movies. I just think there are a lot of people that over-rate the overall quality of them entirely.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Lucky_Krystal

Oh I agree totally, that's why I said they are still entertaining. Without them there wouldn't be a point to finishing a lot of games.

I enjoy them just like I do B-class movies. I just think there are a lot of people that over-rate the overall quality of them entirely.

Bigboi500

I agree with this. Video games stories can be really good. And they give you a nice incentive to finish the game. But I don't agree with the people that say that video game stories are as good as most of the movies out there. They're good, but video game stories sure aren't going to be snagging any Oscars or Golden Globes anytime soon.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Are you guys still arguing with Lulekani?

He's beyond reasoning.,....

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Lulekani

Are you guys still arguing with Lulekani?

He's beyond reasoning.,....

GreekGameManiac
Atleast you cought on quickly. Spread the word. Beware, the turd !