Why do I get bored and give up on games 3/4 of the way through?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jason_A
Member since 2006 • 2121 Posts

No matter how good the game (Fallout 3, Dead Space, Uncharted etc.) about 3/4 of the way through I just get bored of the game and stop playing it.

There is always some manner of repetitiveness in a game no matter how varied it is and I just get bored no matter how good the game.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

It's actually frustrating because I've gone for example from saying Fallout 3 is the greatest game ever to just giving up on it and not playing it anymore.

BoilingDrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BoilingDrains
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
You're playing boring games.
Ironserpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Ironserpent
Member since 2008 • 646 Posts

Because you seem to have a relatively low attention span. No offense intended toward you of course. Lots of people are like that.

Naruto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Naruto
Member since 2002 • 8673 Posts
You're playing boring games.BoilingDrains
Read his post again... He said " no matter how good the game". Anyways, you probably need to be rotating between a couple of games with different genres so that you don't get bored because of the repetitiveness of games.
msuspartan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 msuspartan11
Member since 2009 • 572 Posts
Don't force yourself to play. Just play when you feel like it. For example when I was playing Twilight Princess. It took me at least a year to beat that game because I just stopped playing halfway through it. I just wasn't enjoying it. 5 months later I picked it back up again and finished it. It's not a bad thing if you feel like that. I still however wasn't very satisfied with Twilight Princess.
Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
Alternate what you play, so things don't get repetitive.
Mr_Fujiv1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 256

#7 Mr_Fujiv1
Member since 2008 • 4437 Posts
Alternate what you play, so things don't get repetitive.Deadly_Fatalis
I aggree with Deadly_Fatalis hes right. why dont you try some racing games or even some fighting games. I was playing fallout 3 and i thought to myself urrrghhh this is boring the hell out of me, so i just left the game half finished. But that was only because i wasnt sure what i was doing until when someone told me to collect all the bobble heads etc.
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#8 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

i find i buy too many games and i get overwhelmed, i do try to come back to them though.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

Maybe it's time you hang up your controllers and give up on gaming. :|

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#10 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

kingdre

or maybe just a little bit of encouragement and a few suggestions would be more helpful?

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

I'm trying to bunker down and work through some of my collection. I'm trying to cut down on my bouncing around between games so i can start finishing more games. But i still think its good to have two or three games going at the same time to mix it up some. But I often start too many and then loose track of everything, haha. Anyways right now I'm trying to focus on just two or three and at max limiting myself to one game per console/handheld.

So, currently working on Culdcept Saga for 360, Super Mario Galaxy for Wii, ICO for PS2, Patapon for PSP, Final Fantasy 12-Revenant Wings for DSi, Tales of Phantasia for GBA, Legend of Zelda for NES, Warcraft III for PC, Illusion of Gaia for SNES, and Braid for XBox Arcade. A few other games keep trying to sneek in right now too, Like Oblivion for 360, Mario Kart Wii, Grandia for PS, and Puzzel Quest for DSi. Gets a little overwhelming. Plus I have well over 200 something games sitting there waiting for me to play them as I finish these. So right now I'm hardcoring it on FF12-Revenant Wings, Culdcept Saga, Braid, and Tales of Phantasia.

But you don't ahve to finish a game you don't want to. Just play until you satisfied and move on if that is what makes you happy. Otherwise, bunker down and good luck!

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

[QUOTE="kingdre"]

just_nonplussed

or maybe just a little bit of encouragement and a few suggestions would be more helpful?

Ah, but that's not nearly negative enough. :P
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
If I have several games on the go at once I find this happens to me - I play them all quite a lot, but dont finish them before getting bored or sidetracked. If I focus on just one game at a time I do enjoy them and complete them
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

Just finish it...you'll see it'll be worth playing a game through to the end...if you're 3/4 through, it's like 2 or 3 hours left to go...so just do it ^^

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#15 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

If I have several games on the go at once I find this happens to me - I play them all quite a lot, but dont finish them before getting bored or sidetracked. If I focus on just one game at a time I do enjoy them and complete themAvenger1324

there's no real reason to 'finish' games. the ends are always so predictable anyway, so my advice is just play until you've had enough or there is no more suprises.

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
Maybe you should try playing less of the game during one sitting. Or take a break from the game for a couple days at a time, so it still feels somewhat fresh, instead of playing it every day, or every other day or w.e
oldogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 oldogg
Member since 2003 • 823 Posts

read a book. i recommend suttree by cormac mcarthy.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
i felt like that with gta4 in the end it was a relief to finish
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Play different games at the same time, also there isn't anything wrong with putting it down for a few months or like me sometimes even a year...
Ek-Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ek-Andy
Member since 2006 • 1930 Posts

Mabye you're too depressed to finish the game. If you enjoy the game enough it can be quite hard to finish because you know that when it's done you've finsihed the game. I get that feeling often, espically with really good RPGs like KoTOR. Otheriwse your just bored of it. Mabye a mix of both.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
If I have several games on the go at once I find this happens to me - I play them all quite a lot, but dont finish them before getting bored or sidetracked. If I focus on just one game at a time I do enjoy them and complete themAvenger1324
This tbh. I find this happening alot to me too.
hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

idk but i do that too.

BoilingDrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BoilingDrains
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="BoilingDrains"]You're playing boring games.Naruto
Read his post again... He said " no matter how good the game". Anyways, you probably need to be rotating between a couple of games with different genres so that you don't get bored because of the repetitiveness of games.

Good things can be boring.
david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts
Alternate between your games and play them when you feel like it. TBH there is nothing worse than not finishing a great game.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I think you may want to start playing shorter games.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Oilers99
I think you may want to start playing shorter games.UT_Wrestler
I think that's a good idea for everyone. It'd be nice if gamers, en masse, demanded shorter games. Not going to happen... but still, it'd be nice.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]I think you may want to start playing shorter games.Oilers99
I think that's a good idea for everyone. It'd be nice if gamers, en masse, demanded shorter games. Not going to happen... but still, it'd be nice.

Only if the shorter games cost less money. I feel ripped off when I pay 60 dollars for a game that I get less than 10 hours of enjoyment out of.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]I think you may want to start playing shorter games.Oilers99

I welcome shorter games. With arms open. I fully embrace them.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Oilers99
[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="UT_Wrestler"]I think you may want to start playing shorter games.UT_Wrestler

Only if the shorter games cost less money. I feel ripped off when I pay 60 dollars for a game that I get less than 10 hours of enjoyment out of.

It's all arbitrary. I've paid fifty bucks for a game that boasts forty plus hours of entertainment... And got bored after two or three hours. Eight hours of sublime entertainment is worth any amount of money. Games should drop in price for reasons that have little to do with overall length, IMO.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jason_A

Because you seem to have a relatively low attention span. No offense intended toward you of course. Lots of people are like that.

Ironserpent
You are probably right - but my short attention span frustrates me because I miss out on the final portions of great games because of it!
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jason_A

You are right - I probably need to rotate between different types of games - but I get obsessive and just want to finish one game at a time - I will try to force myself to mix things up.
Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
Read his post again... He said " no matter how good the game".

He probably hasn't played a good game.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jason_A
[QUOTE="msuspartan11"]Don't force yourself to play. Just play when you feel like it. For example when I was playing Twilight Princess. It took me at least a year to beat that game because I just stopped playing halfway through it. I just wasn't enjoying it. 5 months later I picked it back up again and finished it. It's not a bad thing if you feel like that. I still however wasn't very satisfied with Twilight Princess.

I know I know - but I force myself to play one game because I don't want it to take a year to beat because I'm worried that by a year into it there will be too many new games out and I just won't get to it - so I just stop when I'm bored and get rid of the game (i.e. trade it in).
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jason_A

I'm trying to bunker down and work through some of my collection. I'm trying to cut down on my bouncing around between games so i can start finishing more games. But i still think its good to have two or three games going at the same time to mix it up some. But I often start too many and then loose track of everything, haha. Anyways right now I'm trying to focus on just two or three and at max limiting myself to one game per console/handheld.

So, currently working on Culdcept Saga for 360, Super Mario Galaxy for Wii, ICO for PS2, Patapon for PSP, Final Fantasy 12-Revenant Wings for DSi, Tales of Phantasia for GBA, Legend of Zelda for NES, Warcraft III for PC, Illusion of Gaia for SNES, and Braid for XBox Arcade. A few other games keep trying to sneek in right now too, Like Oblivion for 360, Mario Kart Wii, Grandia for PS, and Puzzel Quest for DSi. Gets a little overwhelming. Plus I have well over 200 something games sitting there waiting for me to play them as I finish these. So right now I'm hardcoring it on FF12-Revenant Wings, Culdcept Saga, Braid, and Tales of Phantasia.

But you don't ahve to finish a game you don't want to. Just play until you satisfied and move on if that is what makes you happy. Otherwise, bunker down and good luck!

YoBrandino
You're right - I should stop worrying about it and just play till I'm satisfied and stop. Not really a big deal!
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jason_A

[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]If I have several games on the go at once I find this happens to me - I play them all quite a lot, but dont finish them before getting bored or sidetracked. If I focus on just one game at a time I do enjoy them and complete themjust_nonplussed

there's no real reason to 'finish' games. the ends are always so predictable anyway, so my advice is just play until you've had enough or there is no more suprises.

Good point - games are pretty predictable - it's not like stopping a movie 3/4 of the way through! Plus there is always the web and wikipedia (for a lot of games that I give up on, I just read what happens at the end on the web).
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jason_A

read a book. i recommend suttree by cormac mcarthy.

oldogg
"The Road" is my favourite book of all time. I am seriously going to buy "Suttree" on your advice! BTW, the movie "The Road" is coming out this fall and is getting incredible early reviews!
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jason_A
i felt like that with gta4 in the end it was a relief to finishNSR34GTR
I got bored of GTAIV 3/4 of the way through (long and repetitive) but actually forced myself to finish this since its Grand Theft Auto after all, and it was satisfying (but looking back, I put in a lot of time in the last 1/4 of the game while completely not enjoying it at all - it was like work!)
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jason_A
Play different games at the same time, also there isn't anything wrong with putting it down for a few months or like me sometimes even a year...X360PS3AMD05
I should try to be willing to put games down for like even a year so that I sort of give up on in but eventually get back to it. For some of the games that I gave up on and traded in like Uncharted, about a year later I felt like going back to finish it (and at that point if I still had it and went back to it, it would probably be fresh and new again)! Good advice. Thanks.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jason_A

Mabye you're too depressed to finish the game. If you enjoy the game enough it can be quite hard to finish because you know that when it's done you've finsihed the game. I get that feeling often, especially with really good RPGs like KoTOR. Otheriwse your just bored of it. Mabye a mix of both.

Ek-Andy
Wholly crap - I really feel like that a lot - when a game is really good I feel bad progressing too much in it because then it will just end that much sooner! I often up the difficulty level to make the game last longer, which just ends up making it last so long that I get bored of it!
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

games today are great

but i think they have trouble putting together decent or interesting stories

last great STORY in a game IMO was the legacy of kain: soul reaver series (wasnt able to beat any of the blood omens, but not because i didnt want to)

since then all stories have been boring or cliche IMO

lost oddessy = boring

fallout 3 = boring

tales of vesperia = blahh

dead space = ok

tenchu: shadow assassin = cliche and predictable

star ocean 4 = a joke

silent hill 5 and origins = a mess

now all of those games imo or good, great, or fantastic

but the stories:evil:

lets just say i havent had a "HOLY ****" story moment in years

and be4 you start flaming im not saying the listed games are bad, just poor story in my opinion

also, off topic a bit, i hate that most JRPGs or RPGs in general always (ALWAYS) have some stupid "FULL ON FRIENDSHIP" bs plot device

"you cant defeat us because we all have a reason to fight for" or "together we cant be defeated"

WHO WOULD SAY ANYTHING LIKE THIS WHEN CONFRONTING... ANYONE!?!

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#41 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

This is what I do. I'll play 3-5 games at once, and then dive 100% into one, rinse, repeat.
killeer2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 killeer2007
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts

I'd say the culprit is that games are too long. I find that I have to force myself to "beat" a game these days. If only games were like roller coasters rides: short, and enjoyable no matter how many times you get on.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

It just seems strange that I see so many people complaining about games being too short these days, yet there are people in this thread saying that games these days are too long. This puzzles me. :?

Ironserpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Ironserpent
Member since 2008 • 646 Posts

If the game gets boring, then I always start it all over, since it seems that the beginning is always more interesting.

roleplayer2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#45 roleplayer2004
Member since 2004 • 921 Posts

It's more than likely the whole fantasy side of the game when you 1st bought the game has weared off but at the same time you don't want to finish the game So you're stuck in a gamers limbo where you stop getting any satisfaction or fun out of the game for this reason. My advice is start playing games where you have no choice but you want to finish the game because it keeps getting better the longer it goes. For example Half Life, 007 Goldeneye, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII or Jak and Daxter. You just need a fun game that will keep your interest to the end without the game dragging on for too long like GTA: San Andreas, Gran Turismo 5 or Oblivion.

Timbydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Timbydude
Member since 2005 • 1087 Posts
I've tried to finish Oblivion at least 8 times, no joke. I have started a new game and played through to about the 1/4 to 1/2 mark every single time, hoping to get to the AMAZING (or so I've heard) ending. The underlying problem is that the game just...is boring. As far as Fallout 3 is concerned, I feel your pain, since I've done the same thing for that game, too. That game was just overrated, and for some reason the critics never really complained about the HORRIBLE downtime where you have to walk for 10-15 minutes between destinations, really doing nothing of note other than fighting small enemies. I do have the same problem for most other games, as well, but I usually finish a game if it's 5 hours or less. With the exception of classics like Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, and Half-Life 2, these games usually end up creating a more memorable experience anyway. I say that if you're at least 70% through with the game, it's worth your while to finish it unless it's unbearably bad.
Elizabear88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Elizabear88
Member since 2009 • 79 Posts
Maybe you have ADD.
Timbydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Timbydude
Member since 2005 • 1087 Posts
Also, one thing is definitely worth noting; sometimes, it's better to force yourself to start playing a game even if you're not looking forward to it. This happened to me with Super Mario Galaxy for some reason; I would LOVE it while I played it, but I wouldn't want to touch it at all between play sessions. In the end, I consider it one of the best 5 games I've ever played, so it was easily worth it.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

You're just one of those people that don't care for finishing games. There are more people like you.

Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jason_A

I'd say the culprit is that games are too long. I find that I have to force myself to "beat" a game these days. If only games were like roller coasters rides: short, and enjoyable no matter how many times you get on.

killeer2007
Exactly. Good analogy.