Which of these game franchises are worth getting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoshV23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JoshV23
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I am trying to make my PS3 collection bigger and I need you guys' opinion on some of these franchises. Also I don't stick to one type of genre so don't worry about telling me whether it's my style of game or not. I wouldn't mind playing any of these franchises myself, it's just a matter of whether they're worth what they are. So here are the games:

Borderlands Series

Bioshock Series

Crysis Series

Dead Space Series

Dragon Age Series

Splinter Cell Series

Jak and Daxter Series

Tomb Raider Series

Hitman Series

Army of Two Series

Dead Island Series

Walking Dead (Telltale Games) Series

Ico Collection (Ico & Shadow of the Colossus)

Darksiders Series

Need for Speed (only games that are available for PS3)

Gran Turismo (5 & 6, already have GT4)

Ninja Gaiden

Dead Rising

Motorstorm

Devil May Cry

Portal

Mass Effect

Yakuza

Final Fantasy

Twisted Metal

Please tell me what you think about some of them, doesn't have to be all of them. Also please leave some suggestions on which franchises I should try that are not on this list. Here are franchises I've already played so make sure you don't recommend any of these since I've already played them.

Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham Series, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, God of War, Grand Theft Auto, Infamous, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Last of Us, Marvel vs Capcom, Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Well here are the ones I've played:

Dead Space (first game is creepy, second and third are too much action)

BioShock series (first and Infinite are excellent, second was meh)

Dragon Age series (haven't played Inquisition yet, but Origins is incredible. Second was just okay)

Mass Effect (all games are excellent, but the ending might make you upset)

Jak and Daxter (great platforming trilogy)

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection (both excellent games)

Portal (fantastic puzzle game with a funny yet dark story)

Final Fantasy (every game is different, so use your discretion. I personally loved 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 the most)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@joshv23 said:

I am trying to make my PS3 collection bigger and I need you guys' opinion on some of these franchises. Also I don't stick to one type of genre so don't worry about telling me whether it's my style of game or not. I wouldn't mind playing any of these franchises myself, it's just a matter of whether they're worth what they are. So here are the games:

Crysis Series

Dragon Age Series

Jak and Daxter Series

Tomb Raider Series

Hitman Series

Darksiders Series

Devil May Cry

Portal

Mass Effect

Final Fantasy

Please tell me what you think about some of them, doesn't have to be all of them. Also please leave some suggestions on which franchises I should try that are not on this list. Here are franchises I've already played so make sure you don't recommend any of these since I've already played them.

Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham Series, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, God of War, Grand Theft Auto, Infamous, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Last of Us, Marvel vs Capcom, Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted.

i recomend these series since i actually like them and i think they're good

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

All of these series are great, but I personally would go with Portal or Bioshock. Portal is just one of those series that everybody knows and loves, and valve rarely goes wrong in making games, and Bioshock has some of the best story and atmospheric gameplay out of any game ever really, and while some games use the same setting like one and two, they both feel different and unique in their own way. Those are my choices, but I really don't think you could go wrong buying any of these games, they're all, more or less, universally loved

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Wow, you can't really go wrong with much on that list. I would second Portal as a unique and simply enjoyable experience (although I played on PC, but I can't imagine it falls totally short on PS3). I would also throw my hat in for Ico and Shadow of Colossus if you're interested in trying something more unique.

But the traditional favorites like Bioshock are safe bets too. Borderlands I would only recommend for playing with friends - it is a collection of thin fetch quests, really, that shines when you are having chaotic fun with a friend or two but would just start to feel too repetitive by yourself IMO.

HailtotheQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 HailtotheQueen
Member since 2014 • 290 Posts

@joshv23 said:

Borderlands Series

Bioshock Series

Crysis Series

Dead Space Series

Dragon Age Series

Splinter Cell Series

Jak and Daxter Series

Tomb Raider Series

Hitman Series

Army of Two Series

Dead Island Series

Darksiders Series

Gran Turismo (5 & 6, already have GT4)

Ninja Gaiden

Dead Rising

Motorstorm

Devil May Cry

Portal

Mass Effect

Yakuza

Final Fantasy

Twisted Metal

I don't have a PS3 but I have played some of these on the PC.

Borderlands Series - Eh, not my cup of tea but its ok.

Bioshock Series - Maybe

Crysis Series - Yes.

Dead Space Series - Yes

Dragon Age Series - No

Splinter Cell Series - Never played it.

Jak and Daxter Series - Never played it.

Tomb Raider Series - Only the new one.

Hitman Series - Never played it.

Army of Two Series - Never played it.

Dead Island Series - No.

Walking Dead (Telltale Games) Series - Yes. I'm usually not a fan of games with very little action but I make an exception for this one.

Ico Collection (Ico & Shadow of the Colossus) - Never played it.

Darksiders Series - Never played it.

Need for Speed (only games that are available for PS3) - Never played it.

Gran Turismo (5 & 6, already have GT4) - Never played it.

Ninja Gaiden - Never played it.

Dead Rising - Never played it.

Motorstorm - Never played it.

Devil May Cry - Never played it.

Portal - Yes.

Mass Effect - Maybe.

Yakuza - Never played it.

Final Fantasy - Never played it.

Twisted Metal - Never played it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

The ones that I really enjoyed and would recommend out of that list would be:

• Bioshock
  • Crysis
  • Dead Space
  • Dragon Age
  • Tomb Raider
  • Darksiders
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Dead Rising
  • Devil May Cry
  • Mass Effect
  • Final Fantasy
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@joshv23 said:

Borderlands Series Sure, they are good enough.

Bioshock Series I personally think they are overrated. Singularity is better imo.

Crysis Series #1 is good, 2 is bad, 3 is great. I think at least 1 and 3 is worth a purchase.

Dead Space Series never played.

Dragon Age Series Yes, all of them are good particularly 1 and 3.

Splinter Cell Series Sure they are pretty good games.

Jak and Daxter Series never played

Tomb Raider Series never played

Hitman Series Absolution is a really good game, never played the rest.

Army of Two Series never played

Dead Island Series kinda meh, id suggest at least a rental.

Walking Dead (Telltale Games) Series never played.

Ico Collection (Ico & Shadow of the Colossus) never played

Darksiders Series I highly recommend both these games.

Need for Speed (only games that are available for PS3) never played

Gran Turismo (5 & 6, already have GT4) ya it's alright. To realistic for me but still good in its own right.

Ninja Gaiden never played

Dead Rising no, not good.

Motorstorm never played

Devil May Cry if you like harder games with cheesy gross punchlines then ya.

Portal never played

Mass Effect yes, all are pretty good.

Yakuza never played

Final Fantasy no, the last good FF game was 10. 10-2 sucked too.

Twisted Metal yes, this is a good game

Honorable mentions - Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen, Ni No Kuni, Rage Anarchy Edition, Far Cry 3, Binary Domain, Singularity, Diablo 3 Evil edition, Kingdom of Amalur, Killzone 2 (has a pretty good campaign), Resistance 3 (1 and 2 arent as good), Red Dead Redemption, Dishonored, Dues Ex HR Director's cut, Sleeping Dogs.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

There are a lot of good choices on this list, I'm going to focus narrowing down the driving games for you to seek out just to keep myself cohesive.

I love the Motorstorm games, but Pacific Rift is by far the best. The first one doesn't have a lot of content, and Apocalypse kind of looses focus on the off-roading aspect in favor of shit blowing up. It's still a great game, but if you want a racing game about shit blowing up get Split Second instead.

Need For Speed Carbon is my favorite on PS3. It was the last of the good street racing NFSs, and the series kind of sucked for a while after that. It got good again when they basically revamped it into a combat racer kind of like Burnout with some weapons thrown in. The best of that style would be NFS Rivals.

Twisted Metal is great. Definitely get the PS3 one, and if you want more you can download 2 and Black on PSN. Those are the 3 best entries in the series.

Jestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jestice
Member since 2014 • 39 Posts

Borderlands, Bioshock, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Need for Speed.

And yes, you're welcome ;)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#11 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@xantufrog: yeah it's not a bad list

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

The below mentioned video games are very good. I would also suggest Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Skyrim is also an amazing game! Unfortunately, I am not going to send a long detailed explanation of why I think each one of these games are amazing. Many people don't read long-winded responses anyways. If you want my suggestion and/or opinion...please do not hesitate to email me directly and I would be more than happy to discus these games with you.

@joshv23 said:

Dead Space Series

Splinter Cell Series

Mass Effect

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
  • Borderlands Series (Great series. All games are fun)
  • Bioshock Series (First one is great, 2nd not so much. Infinite has same old outdated gameplay mechanics but story is good)
  • Crysis Series (First one is amazing. Warhead is great. 2nd and 3rd are dumbed down but still fun to play but nothing more than COD with Nano suits, specially 2nd)
  • Dead Space Series (All 3 of them are great games. 3rd game starts like an action game but later becomes better and better with each passing moment. Great survival horror trilogy)
  • Dragon Age Series (1st one is amazing. 2nd is trash. Inquisition sounds good (haven't played yet))
  • Splinter Cell Series (First 4 games are amazing stealth action games. Conviction is trash. Blacklist is huge improvement over conviction but still not as good as first 4 games. Both Conviction and Blacklist are still fun to play as action games with stealth elements)
  • Jak and Daxter Series (never played)
  • Tomb Raider Series (Great series. Play it, including the new reboot)
  • Hitman Series (All of them are great. Absolution was dumbed down but still great)
  • Army of Two Series (never played)
  • Dead Island Series (never played but I heard it's trash)
  • Walking Dead (Telltale Games) Series (Both seasons are great but you can't play them for a long time because gameplay mechanics are shallow. That's why they release it episodically and good storytelling keeps players distracted for an hour or two)
  • Ico Collection (Ico & Shadow of the Colossus) (never played)
  • Darksiders Series (Great series. Play it)
  • Need for Speed (only games that are available for PS3) (Great racing games. New entries are less fun than previous ones though)
  • Gran Turismo (5 & 6, already have GT4) (OK series but not as good as Forza)
  • Ninja Gaiden (Great series but new one is trash)
  • Dead Rising (Good games for fun but nothing special)
  • Motorstorm (never played)
  • Devil May Cry (Great hack n slash action games. New one isn't that good but still fun)
  • Portal (Great series. Highly recommend)
  • Mass Effect (Great series but third game has terrible ending)
  • Yakuza (never played)
  • Final Fantasy (never cared)
  • Twisted Metal (No idea)
JoshV23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JoshV23
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@TheDarkWolf86: I've already played Skyrim and I've spend over a hundred hours into that game.. it's amazing. I just bought Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition and I'm excited for it. I also got Far Cry 3 as well and so far it's great! Also I bought my brother the Elder Scrolls Anthology for PC which has all the Elder Scrolls games with all the DLC for... $29.99. VERY GOOD DEAL!

vicky_john1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vicky_john1
Member since 2014 • 230 Posts

I would recommend

bioshock,

mass effect

dead island

final fantasy

& portal series..

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#16 hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

Get them all if you can!

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Dead Space

Devil May Cry

Ghost Recon

Army of Two

Splinter Cell

Those are the franchises that I've played and enjoyed! I would highly recommend them to anyone.