Which Game Genres do you just plain STINK at?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

I am a hardcore gamer in the sense that I play almost every genre and I play a lot.

I really am TERRIBLE at:

1) Fighters: The most success I can get is usking Kilik In Soul Calibur IV and upgrading him RPG-style so that he has a lot of health and can chip away at your armor with his long bo.

2) RTS: Of course multitasking is needed, but I feel that DOW1 on easy mode is fun, but still no cakewalk.

3) I wont generalize all Sports games in one category: I am good at soccer, but i suck at batting (MLB the SHow)

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
FPS games are the worst, I dont know how people sit there and kill others for hours on end. When I try to shoot other people, there's almost no way I can hit em if theyre moving.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
I'm very good at fps games, i'm also very good at fighting games but i seems to suck at rts games. I'm always overbuilding and mostly i get ambushed. Allthough i love the building, i build always too much and don't attack at the right time or right place . I can win easily against the cpu though :)
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Sports games is one genre I am terrible at. No matter what game it is, I always get destroyed by the unmerciful AI.

Strategy games are also another genre I do not excel in. Takes up a lot of time for me and it eventually gets frustrated. For example, with a game like Starcraft, I'm one-dimensional. I always build myself a huge base and army, but I never think outside of the box and therefore die too quickly.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#5 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

RPG: I don't even know what's going on most of the time. I'm also quite weak at inventory management and a proper distribution of skill.

RTS: Multitasking, thinking fast: two things I'm not very good at.

Point and clik adventure: Monkey Island 2 confirmed that I cannot think logically. Sometimes I couldn't even make one inch of progress without consulting the hint system thoroughly.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Fighters - No matter what I do, I don't have the reaction speed and know how to pull off the good combos.

Racing - I can do okay at Need For Speed, but put me in Forza and I'll end up doing doughnuts on the track.

I enjoy RTSes and I am good with/against friends, but one on one competitively I don't stand a chance.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts

1)Fighters : i used to be okay at it when i playedFighting games on the PS1 but now i just suck

2) RTS/Turn Base Strategy : although i love both alot and playing them for a long time i just can't beat the AI on anthing higher than "normal" difficulty and it's only with a lot of luck

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I don't stink at one in particular. I hold my own. But for some reason, in FPS games, I would scratch my head at how really good some players are. I'm like, hot damn. They're f'in good. It's like they were born with Red Bull in their system.
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

RTS - I love them but I suck. Never finished a single player campaign on a higher level than easy.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

Fighting is proably the worst by far

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

The only genre I can think of is RTS. I just can't think strategically at the kind of pace required.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

any kind of sports, or Driving game (Carmageddon and mario cart none withstanding) Partly due to lack of will to learn, and partly due to the gameplay.

tj_odee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 tj_odee
Member since 2008 • 210 Posts

Fighters: I can pull of supers, ect... (everyone can) but when it comes to air combos then swapping out to continue the combo or pulling off long button moves, I fall pretty hard.

RTS: I love these kind of games but im just too slow

Racing: No matter how much I try, I can't drive fast and drift without hitting something...

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

RTS. I dunno if it's cause i get bored and stop trying or what, but i usually have hard time with them. Usually the first levels aren't bad but the harder ones really take time.

alanthreonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alanthreonus
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

I think the reason why I could never get into FPS's is because I suck at them. Mass Effect seems to be an exception to that rule for whatever reason, though.

I also don't play tactical RPG's (or even chess) anymore because after losing a mission in Fire Emblem for about the 100th time, I just had to accept the fact that I suck at tactics.

NCsmallCHILDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NCsmallCHILDS
Member since 2010 • 790 Posts

FPS comes to mind...

deon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deon99
Member since 2007 • 677 Posts
I hate to admit it but im trash at fighters.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I'm rather bad at simulation type racers, like Gran Turismo and Forza. I just have the patience for them it seems. I just want to get on the road. Aside from that, I'm not that great at fighters.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

FPS games are the worst, I dont know how people sit there and kill others for hours on end. When I try to shoot other people, there's almost no way I can hit em if theyre moving.Allicrombie
This and puzzle games for me.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

No genre in particular.. i honestly can't think of any game, in any genre, that i had problems with. I have a lotta variety in my taste, and i love hard games.. If a game is to easy, i immediatly quit, because i can't feel any fun. Maybe that's why..

I don't know why ya'll are bad at fighting games.. some are so casual that it takes like 1 day of practice.. It ain't that hard, just a minuscule amount of precision wile performing combos.. as in press 3-4 buttons one after another, in the designated way, block, hit, etc... Really now..

Avatar image for paranoidpixie95
paranoidpixie95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 paranoidpixie95
Member since 2009 • 2198 Posts

Fighting games. I'm the biggest button masher. I can never beat the main modes on anything higher than easy.

Multiplayer components of FPS games. I do okay in the campaign, but I have a 1:10 (approx.) kill to death ratio in multiplayer.

Any RPG whose storyline I can't get into. If I can't get into it, I don't want to play it, which means I can't practice (therefore improving skill).

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I'm really bad at fighters. I picked up Street Fighter IV a while back, and it was not exactly a pleasant experience for me. The game is not bad by any means at all, but I just suck at fighting games. Smash Bros is the only fighting-ish game I've ever been decent at. I can do turn-based strategy, but keep me away from RTS.

My strengths are shooters and racers.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Most things with puzzles, i just don't think the way, they want you to think,

I suck at the hard lvls of games. Maybe its i just don't have the patience but i have never beat a game on hard.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

The simulation genre can be quite vexing for me as it demands intense attention to every little conceivable detail, and if you screw up one tiny aspect it affects the whole works. I love Silent Hunter III/IV but on realistic settings I can't even plot a course that would allow for proper fuel consumption to be able to get back to base, much less sink a damn ship, and a convoy? Yea right. And that's looking through the scope or on the surface, don't even get me started doing it soley with sonar. It takes like 10-15 plus steps to even plot a torpedo solution that MAY be successful, and even then you have to continually update it every few minutes. Ugh. Even watching Youtube vids and reading guides doesn't help. I would need someone to be looking over my shoulder teaching me. This is what people go to academies to learn and it sure ain't easy (and I SUCK at it) but for some reason I still enjoy playing them and trying anyway.

RTS is also a killer for me. I have no trouble with strategy, but when it's all happening in real time I quickly get flustered and don't know quite what to do next. I have trouble prioritizing and freeze up. I'd make a lousy general. This is why I love games such as Combat Mission and Company of Heroes, the former is turn based and the latter can be paused to allow new orders to be issued, although there are some games that are the exception as they unfold at a slower pace (Sins of a Solar Empire for example). I get slaughtered otherwise. Sucks too, because MP is out the window. It's like before I'm even up and running there's an entire army at my doorstep. Not fun.

So those two mostly. I'm also not good at sports games, but I don't play any really since like the NES days, so it's no wonder.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#25 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Fighters, RTSs, some FPSes, sports games.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I am just not good at Fighting games at all. I enjoy playing them, but I'm just really bad. I don't have the reflexes or hand coordination to get really good at them.

Zilch90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zilch90
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts

Im pretty terrible at simulation racers and fighters, and only slightly better at RTS games.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
CSS and as a PC Gamer you are supposed to be good n such. Sucking at batting in THe Show is not a surprise that game takes patience, they call it a simulator for a reason ;) I was so happy when i finally went toe to toe with CC in the Demo and won on a Kudyer Walk-off. I don't play fighters anymore but growing up i got owned by my bro and cousin
XCNormX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 XCNormX
Member since 2010 • 466 Posts

I don't stink at one in particular. I hold my own. But for some reason, in FPS games, I would scratch my head at how really good some players are. I'm like, hot damn. They're f'in good. It's like they were born with Red Bull in their system.Elann2008

HAHA:lol: totally agree with this.

Like I'm good with the campaigns, and I hold my own (for the most part) with the online multiplayers but my consistency sucks though. I'll have a good match then I completely bust on the next one(mainly on COD and Halo). My consistency is better with certain FPS games like Battlefield.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

JRPG... Can't do it. Androgynous anime characters and turned based combat is just crap. I can do RPGs but not with turn based combat.

Start-N-Play

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Start-N-Play
Member since 2011 • 169 Posts
I am good at all games that I play really. Fighters is easy to learn and play and really just takes practice and memory. RPGs are very easy for me to own in them, been playing them since I was a kid. Sports games im good at expectally in madden, even playing online. Racing is the same as the rest, but im no natural in it. FPS online games im never in the top bunch with the most kills so its gotta be my weakest. Platformers like Mario games are easy to beat. Action games like God of War are easy also. RTS games I don't play any so can't really say. So yeah its FPS games playing online vs matches. L4D co-op im good at and in the top for most kills list all the time but also last in least health taken lol. I just got a xbox 360 last christmas so I am still learning the controller. I still catch myself looking at the buttons when going through the tutorial in some games. Once it becomes natural like the PS2 controller was then watch out because I'm gonna make a lot of people pissed off in madden. Plus I love talking **** to people while playing its the greatest thing. I don't play as well unless I start to do that and get into it.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
RTS games because I love to turtle up so much.
nbessiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nbessiner
Member since 2009 • 731 Posts

Fighters since I don't like them and RTS

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Strategy games like Civilization 4.Theres just so much going on at once. Its hard to keep track of everything.

I like rome total war though.

HitomiChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HitomiChan
Member since 2009 • 15305 Posts
hmm.. RTSes?.. idk the last RTS i played was red alert and i got killed by easy setting A.Is. XD
nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts

I suck hard at team sports games, I just don't know enough about them to know what plays to pick, or anything.

I'm not very good at competitive RTS. People are just way to fast for me to keep up, I'm fine against the computer though. I'm really good at TBS' though, when playing Turn based strategy games everyone plays at the same speed lol.

I suck at competitive Fighting games, just can't pull off the combos required. Kick butt against the computer though.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I am surprised at how many people have said fighting games. I am awful at first person shooters. I mean awful. I cannot aim well at all. I never seem to hit what I am shooting at. When it comes to firing and moving at the same time forget about it. It has gotten a little better with the advent of the Wiimote so that I can point at what I want to shoot at but I still have my moments of humor inducing suckage. For instance, there is a slow down power up in Ghost Recon for Wii (which is a third person shooter and should be easier) and I used it to help give me an edge. Well, have you ever seen those targets of human silhouttes at shooting ranges? Imagine unloading a full clip at one of those and having bullet holes all over the paper except in the actual human. Them be my skills yo.

TaoJeetKuneDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 TaoJeetKuneDo
Member since 2010 • 512 Posts
I can master any genre , mwuhaha
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Not very good with RTS.

Some FPS games I don't do well - like the ones where the streams of NPCs never seem to end, and they have infinite ammo.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#40 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

All but one. Let me get this clear I am a good gamer, I am confident in that, I will blow my trumpet and challange anyone, but one game type that doesn't work well for me is playing real time strategy games such as Starcraft and Command and Conquere vs real human oppenents. There is a reason for this, it's the way I trained myself.

When it comes to real time strat games I mix together a sort of dig in cross assuslt game method, as I learned long ago you can't simply dig in in modern day RTS (Dawn of War is a good example). However I try not to overload myself with too much management, so I simplify things. As a result I play in a way that's very good vs the computer, but human oppenents are always able to exploid a weakness from a result of my simplicity.

An example of this:-

Supream Commander. Against computer I can tell which direction he will attack, and if he focus mostly on air offence i will create a barrier of anti air with anti ground turrets in front, but possistion it away from my base so no 'suicide rockets' can get throuh and wear my base thing. Against computer it's flawless, it gives me room to expand and gather resources while keeping him at bay, but try this on a human oppenent and they will launch a navel assulst on my base fromam angle I haven't yet built heavy defences.... Annoying. Of course what I am suppose to do then is adapt,but I find it annoying and not much fun, I prefer the praedictable computer AI, I don't like to micro-manage.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

All but one. Let me get this clear I am a good gamer, I am confident in that, I will blow my trumpet and challange anyone, but one game type that doesn't work well for me is playing real time strategy games such as Starcraft and Command and Conquere vs real human oppenents. There is a reason for this, it's the way I trained myself.

When it comes to real time strat games I mix together a sort of dig in cross assuslt game method, as I learned long ago you can't simply dig in in modern day RTS (Dawn of War is a good example). However I try not to overload myself with too much management, so I simplify things. As a result I play in a way that's very good vs the computer, but human oppenents are always able to exploid a weakness from a result of my simplicity.

An example of this:-

Supream Commander. Against computer I can tell which direction he will attack, and if he focus mostly on air offence i will create a barrier of anti air with anti ground turrets in front, but possistion it away from my base so no 'suicide rockets' can get throuh and wear my base thing. Against computer it's flawless, it gives me room to expand and gather resources while keeping him at bay, but try this on a human oppenent and they will launch a navel assulst on my base fromam angle I haven't yet built heavy defences.... Annoying. Of course what I am suppose to do then is adapt,but I find it annoying and not much fun, I prefer the praedictable computer AI, I don't like to micro-manage.

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
Racing. I'm just terrible at it no matter what game. Even in platformers where they have tiny racing challenges, or levels in cars, I fail miserably.

Puzzle. I don't even find them fun unless it's Tetris. Just gives me a headache.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

I don't know why ya'll are bad at fighting games.. some are so casual that it takes like 1 day of practice.. It ain't that hard, just a minuscule amount of precision wile performing combos.. as in press 3-4 buttons one after another, in the designated way, block, hit, etc... Really now..

Lucianu

I hate it when people are good at something, and then they don't have a clue why everyone else isn't as good as they are. Well, sorry that we all can't be as awesome as you. People are good at different things, is it really that hard to understand?

Anyway, the Topic...

I am horrible at fighting games. i.e: soul calibur, marvel vs capcom.

I am awful at any Sims game. (don't know waht genre it's called)

ratchet200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ratchet200
Member since 2005 • 1620 Posts

I love RTS's but i suck at them on line. In fact i don't think ive ever played a competitive game ever before. Only custom games such as maps on Warcraft 3 (Eg DOTA... which i suck at :().

Also fighting games im terrible at. I do have Soul Caliber 3 and i'm half decent with Talim vs the AI. Thing is i want to be good at it so i can play Blaz Blu properly, but getting the button combinations right is so darn frustrating sometimes!

mercenaryy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mercenaryy
Member since 2008 • 135 Posts

i am decent at about any game type from shooter to RPG to Starcraft 2 ...

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
Hmm, I have never played an RTS game in my life; so probably that. I also suck at simulation games.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Online RTS.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

A lot of people say fighters, but unless you practice with a character & know their combos you'll always get destroyed by someone that has. It may seem like you're no good, but everyone in your position will be like that. For me personally:

Fighters using characters I haven't practiced with

Sim racers that won't let me fly up to a sharp corner at 300kms/h & pull off a wicked drift.. So all sim racers.

RTS... I like building bases & towns. I love Age of Empires/Mythology offline because I can build my own little town with specific areas. I go online & I have some Norse guy building some massive arrow shooting buildings right outside my town. Come on man, let me build my pointless pig/lamb pen at least! I liked Dawn of War because I could play Space Marines & build a turret fortress.. I'd still get rolled, but it was still fun (Or playing Eldar & warping all around the map with three builders left just to stay in the game). I hated DoW2 for this reason.

Too much rushing in Starcraft for my liking, & I don't like how spacey everything looks. WC3 was cool because of heroes, but I still sucked. Is ANNO 1701/1404 an RTS? I love that game...

Mega-Mustaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mega-Mustaine
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

Strategy games. I love 'em, but I never beat 'em.