Which console is better? Super Nintendo or PlayStation 2?

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

The Super Nintendo and the PlayStation 2 may just be the 2 greatest game consoles of all time with not only the largest and best game libraries out there, but these consoles more than likely have the best 3rd-party libraries of all time. Which one of these do you think is the better console? Please let me know. Thanks! :)

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Neither are the best, but the SNES actually has games I like to play. PS2? Not so much.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
The Sega Genesis beats both
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

PS2

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Renegade_Fury

The Sega Genesis beats bothrilpas

2m506ww.jpg

This man knows what's up.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

SNES.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Apples and rice

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

Honestly this is a little tough. However, I picked Super Nintendo simply because it has more exclusives that I adored. As good as the PS2 is the Super Nintendo is more of a reliable console. It had the Marios, the Mega Mans, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, A Link To The Past and Super Metroid (both which I've never played), the Donkey Kong Country series, etc, etc.

Both great systems with great exclusives and helped create a lot of memories for me. I just prefer the Super Nintendo.  

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

PS2 hands down.

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CaptainGamespot
Member since 2013 • 616 Posts

The PS2 actually has games I like to play. SNES? Not so much.

I love both though, great machines

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

The PS2 has more good games than the SNES has, no doubt about it. The variety of games there is just amazing.

HOWEVER, I'd still much rather play the less amount of good games on SNES than I would the many good games on PS2. The games that are good on SNES are all-time masterpieces that will ALWAYS stand the test of time like Super Metroid, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, and others.

I still love my PS2, though, and wouldn't give up either system.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Super Nintendo = my teenage years. So... SNES. 

Playstation 2 is still a solid machine, I just have much better memories with the SNES. 

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

PS2 easily, especially when you consider PS1 BC.

SNES is one of my all time favorite systems tho

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

ps2

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I'll never understand why the Genesis is looked upon like some Godly console. It's a great console, but I don't see how it could ever be close to the best. The game library, aside from the Sonics and a few other exclusive series', just comes off as small and mediocre.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

PS2 easily, especially when you consider PS1 BC.whiskeystrike

I agree with this

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

SNES, and even if my opinion is largely the result of nostalgia, I don't care.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rilpas
[QUOTE="rilpas"]The Sega Genesis beats bothYoshiYogurt
I'll never understand why the Genesis is looked upon like some Godly console. It's a great console, but I don't see how it could ever be close to the best. The game library, aside from the Sonics and a few other exclusive series', just comes off as small and mediocre.

replace Genesis with SNES and Sonic with mario and your statement will become factually true
strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#19 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I would take a SNES with my pick of games over a similiar deal with PS2.

PS2 only had GTAIII, and Vice City for me, mostly.

While on SNES I can get my Aero Biz, and good PTO fix if my minimal research is correct.

andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

PS2 had much better graphics so it was better.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="rilpas"]The Sega Genesis beats bothrilpas

replace Genesis with SNES and Sonic with mario and your statement will become factually true

The Mario games are much higher quality than sonic for starters. SNES also had superior RPGS and adventure/metroidvania games, making the Genesis games feel quite dated.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I think I have to go with the PS2. Hard to pick really though. Both are very different systems with very different libraries. Just depends on what I wanna play at the time. But still, if I had to pick just one, I'd go with the PS2. Actually I don't even an SNES, I only play SNES games on the Wii's virtual console, lol. But I think ya know what I mean.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lazyathew

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] I'll never understand why the Genesis is looked upon like some Godly console. It's a great console, but I don't see how it could ever be close to the best. The game library, aside from the Sonics and a few other exclusive series', just comes off as small and mediocre. YoshiYogurt

The Mario games are much higher quality than sonic for starters. SNES also had superior RPGS and adventure/metroidvania games, making the Genesis games feel quite dated.

I was always more of a Sonic fan then Mario. But looking back at the libraries, I have to say SNES has a better selection overal. Metroid, Zelda, Mega Man, Kirby, lots of fun games. Genisis pretty much just has Sonic, lol. I know it has lots of other games that people love. But Sonic is really the only one that stands out for me.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] I'll never understand why the Genesis is looked upon like some Godly console. It's a great console, but I don't see how it could ever be close to the best. The game library, aside from the Sonics and a few other exclusive series', just comes off as small and mediocre. YoshiYogurt

Actually the sonic games are much higher quality then Mario, also the SNES only had one metroid type game (singular not plural).

making the SNES feel quite dated

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rilpas

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="rilpas"] replace Genesis with SNES and Sonic with mario and your statement will become factually truelazyathew

I was always more of a Sonic fan then Mario. But looking back at the libraries, I have to say SNES has a better selection overal. Metroid, Zelda, Mega Man, Kirby, lots of fun games. Genisis pretty much just has Sonic, lol. I know it has lots of other games that people love. But Sonic is really the only one that stands out for me.

If you believe Genesis only has sonic then you really don't know much about the system, heck you mentioned Megaman, but the Genesis also had megaman

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lazyathew

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] The Mario games are much higher quality than sonic for starters. SNES also had superior RPGS and adventure/metroidvania games, making the Genesis games feel quite dated.rilpas

If you believe Genesis only has sonic then you really don't know much about the system, heck you mentioned Megaman, but the Genesis also had megaman

What Mega Man games did it have other then Wily Wars? Wily Wars wasn't even released on cartridge in North Amercia. But even if it was, SNES has more Mega Man games.

And I didn't mean Sonic were the only good games on the system. Just the only GREAT exlusive games that I have noticed and played. I like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and Shinobi is kinda fun. But nothing truly spectacular. Just my opinion, though.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]I was always more of a Sonic fan then Mario. But looking back at the libraries, I have to say SNES has a better selection overal. Metroid, Zelda, Mega Man, Kirby, lots of fun games. Genisis pretty much just has Sonic, lol. I know it has lots of other games that people love. But Sonic is really the only one that stands out for me.

lazyathew

What Mega Man games did it have other then Wily Wars? Wily Wars wasn't even released on cartridge in North Amercia. But even if it was, SNES has more Mega Man games.

And I didn't mean Sonic were the only good games on the system. Just the only GREAT exlusive games that I have noticed and played. I like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and Shinobi is kinda fun. But nothing truly spectacular. Just my opinion, though.

Indeed willy Wars, 3.5 games in one and it was certainly available where I come from.

Personally, I'm not even a fan of Sonic and I think the Genesis wins this, heck shadowrun alone is a game unlike anything on the SNES (though to be fair super metroid is unlike anything on the Genesis).

Then you have games like Ranger X, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra: Hardcorps, Shining Force 2 these were all amazing games

LJSEXAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJSEXAY
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts

Truth...

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 YoshiYogurt

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="rilpas"] replace Genesis with SNES and Sonic with mario and your statement will become factually truerilpas

Actually the sonic games are much higher quality then Mario, also the SNES only had one metroid type game (singular not plural).

Sonic couldn't even save! Talk about archaic. The SNES had one of the greatest games of all time, Super Metroid. Not to Mention having Super Mario All Stars containing Marios 1-3, World , and lost levels. There's also Kirby, Pilotwings, Star Fox, the Final Fantasies, Mario RPG, EARTHBOUND. Genesis doesn't even come close. I have quite a bit of Genesis games too none of which would even be in my top 100 games. Maybe Sonic 2. You still fail to bring up great games in any of your arguments for the Genesis. The SNES is probably tied for all time greatest console simply because of the sheer quality of it's library of awesome games. PS2 has a huge number of "great" and "good" games.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Emerald_Warrior

While I do agree that the SNES is the better system between SNES and Genesis; Yoshi you are really coming off as ignorant about the Genesis. There are far more great titles on the Genesis other than Sonic games. It is the preferred system of the era for arcade ports (not counting Neo Geo titles, of course), shoot-em ups, and sports titles. And it's just as good with beat-em ups as the SNES is. Plus it has a number of good exclusives.

Heck, it still has great titles coming out for it. Check out the recently released Pier Solar RPG for Genesis:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Pier-solar-and-the-great-architects-european-box-art.JPGhttp://gamerlimit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/piersolar.jpghttp://allrpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/pier-solar-megadrive-1294323603-003.jpg

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Which console? Given the fact that the ps2 can play all psx games, ps2 games, and also NASA plethora of collections, I'd say the ps2.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 YoshiYogurt
Not a big fan of arcade games or beat em ups, although the streets of rage games are pretty good. Sports games have always been irrelevant to me no matter the era. I prefer solid single player adventure and platforming games, which is why the Genesis appears to be lacking for me. Show me some games you Genesis fans LOVE and maybe I'll play them if I haven't.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Not a big fan of arcade games or beat em ups, although the streets of rage games are pretty good. Sports games have always been irrelevant to me no matter the era. I prefer solid single player adventure and platforming games, which is why the Genesis appears to be lacking for me. Show me some games you Genesis fans LOVE and maybe I'll play them if I haven't.

General Chaos and Landstalker are two of my favorite games ever. There are tons of good genesis games.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Emerald_Warrior

Show me some games you Genesis fans LOVE and maybe I'll play them if I haven't. YoshiYogurt

Again, just to be clear, I prefer the SNES over the Genesis. But the Genesis still ranks as one of my all time favorite consoles, and is easily in my top 5 list. And despite claims otherwise on this thread, it has a wide variety of games.

Here's some great games for the Genesis in each genre:

Action:

• Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Strider
  • Vectorman 1 & 2

Beat-Em Ups:

• Comix Zone
  • Golden Axe 1 & 2
  • Maximum Carnage (Spider-Man & Venom)
  • Streets of Rage 1-3
  • X-Men 2: The Clone Wars
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist

Fighting Games:

• Eternal Champions
  • Mortal Kombat 1-3 & Ultimate 3
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Super Street Fighter II

Platformers:

• Cool Spot
  • Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
  • Ristar
  • Rocket Knight Adventures
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 and Sonic & Knuckles

RPGs:

• Beyond Oasis
  • Phantasy Star 2-4
  • Shining Force 1 & 2
  • YS III: Wanderers From YS

Shoot-Em Ups:

• Gaiares
  • Lightening Force
  • Raiden Trad
  • Thunder Force 2 & 3

Other:

• Championship Pro-Am (R.C. Pro-Am port with better graphics than the original NES version)
  • Columns 1 & 2 (Puzzle Game)
  • Road Rash 1-3 (Motorcyle Racing with some combat sprinkled in)
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="rilpas"] replace Genesis with SNES and Sonic with mario and your statement will become factually truerilpas

In what way are the Sonic games higher quality than Mario? :?

Also, I fail to see how the SNES could feel dated relative to the Genesis since the Genesis feels more dated in terms of visuals and sound.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

PS2 has Ace Combat 4 and Ace Combat Zero

SNES just has a bunch of old games

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Most PS2 games are now dated, imo, but the SNES has a lot of timeless classics that will never age.

2D just tends to age better.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] The Mario games are much higher quality than sonic for starters. SNES also had superior RPGS and adventure/metroidvania games, making the Genesis games feel quite dated.YoshiYogurt

Sonic couldn't even save! Talk about archaic. The SNES had one of the greatest games of all time, Super Metroid. Not to Mention having Super Mario All Stars containing Marios 1-3, World , and lost levels. There's also Kirby, Pilotwings, Star Fox, the Final Fantasies, Mario RPG, EARTHBOUND. Genesis doesn't even come close. I have quite a bit of Genesis games too none of which would even be in my top 100 games. Maybe Sonic 2. You still fail to bring up great games in any of your arguments for the Genesis. The SNES is probably tied for all time greatest console simply because of the sheer quality of it's library of awesome games. PS2 has a huge number of "great" and "good" games.

Star Fox couldn't even save, how archaic! And realy? Pilotwings? you're actually bringing up a boring tech demo with terrible controls? Come on now, now you're not even trying

none of the SNEs would even be in my top 100 games they've all aged so poorly .

You still fail to bring up great games in any of your arguments for the SNES. The Genesis is probably tied for all time greatest console simply because of the sheer quality of it's library of awesome games. PS2 has a huge number of "great" and "good" games.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] The Mario games are much higher quality than sonic for starters. SNES also had superior RPGS and adventure/metroidvania games, making the Genesis games feel quite dated.GreySeal9

Also, I fail to see how the SNES could feel dated relative to the Genesis since the Genesis feels more dated in terms of visuals and sound.

Actually I don't even like Sonic, but Yoshi is either fanboy, in which case I choose to troll him

or he's an idiot in which case I choose to troll him

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rilpas

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] Show me some games you Genesis fans LOVE and maybe I'll play them if I haven't. Emerald_Warrior

Again, just to be clear, I prefer the SNES over the Genesis. But the Genesis still ranks as one of my all time favorite consoles, and is easily in my top 5 list. And despite claims otherwise on this thread, it has a wide variety of games.

Here's some great games for the Genesis in each genre:

Action:

• Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Revenge of Shinobi
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Strider
  • Vectorman 1 & 2

Beat-Em Ups:

• Comix Zone
  • Golden Axe 1 & 2
  • Streets of Rage 1-3
  • X-Men 2: The Clone Wars
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist

Fighting Games:

• Eternal Champions
  • Mortal Kombat 1-3 & Ultimate 3
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Super Street Fighter II

Platformers:

• Cool Spot
  • Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
  • Ristar
  • Rocket Knight Adventures
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 and Sonic & Knuckles

RPGs:

• Beyond Oasis
  • Phantasy Star 2-4
  • Shining Force 1 & 2
  • YS III: Wanderers From YS

Shoot-Em Ups:

• Gaiares
  • Lightening Force
  • Raiden Trad
  • Thunder Force 2 & 3

Other:

• Championship Pro-Am (R.C. Pro-Am port with better graphics than the original NES version)
  • Columns 1 & 2 (Puzzle Game)
  • Road Rash 1-3 (Motorcyle Racing with some combat sprinkled in)

you forgot ot mention Shadowrun, just like the Genesis didn't have anything that could compared to Super Metroid, the SNES didn't have anything that could compare to shadowrun (Yes, I know the SNES has a shadowrun game as well, but they're miles apart)

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

the ps2 by about 50 times. snes is so underrepresented in many genres, ps2 is king in basically any genre

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

the ps2 by about 50 times. snes is so underrepresented in many genres, ps2 is king in basically any genre

bultje112

Even FPS and WRPG?

I think the Xbox demolished it in that...

Stefan91x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Stefan91x
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts

SNES has DK Country Trilogy, nuff said.

LJSEXAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJSEXAY
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] The Mario games are much higher quality than sonic for starters. SNES also had superior RPGS and adventure/metroidvania games, making the Genesis games feel quite dated.GreySeal9

I like Mario well enough but the Genesis Sonic kicked his ass....
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

LJSEXAY

I realize that some people think Sonic is better, but how is it higher quality?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="LJSEXAY"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I'll answer that one: Control, color, music, atmosphere, and level design. Mario World's bland look, dull levels, stiff gameplay that requires you to hold the run button at all times, and 2 or 3 tracks just doesn't compare. Sonic also doesn't waste my time with looking for keys or trying to figure out if I need to beat a stage by either collecting coins or playing as fast as I can.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

Star Fox couldn't even save, how archaic! And realy? Pilotwings? you're actually bringing up a boring tech demo with terrible controls? Come on now, now you're not even trying

none of the SNEs would even be in my top 100 games they've all aged so poorly .

You still fail to bring up great games in any of your arguments for the SNES. The Genesis is probably tied for all time greatest console simply because of the sheer quality of it's library of awesome games. PS2 has a huge number of "great" and "good" games.

Just like I did the Genesis, I can come up with PLENTY of great SNES games. Both of you guys are coming off as complete fanboys for each system. Both the SNES and the Genesis had fan-freaking-tastic libraries. The competition between the 2 brought out the best in the 2 companies. And both systems are 2 of the greatest systems of all time.

So to answer your request, here's some great SNES games:

Action:

• Castlevania: Dracula X
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Starfox
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Sunset Riders

Action-RPG/Adventure:

• The Illusion of Gaia
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • The Secret of Manna
  • Soul Blazer
  • Super Metroid

Beat-Em Ups:

• Final Fight 1-3
  • Knights of the Round
  • Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Fighting:

• Mortal Kombat 2 & 3 and Ultimate (MK 1 was butchered on SNES)
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2
  • Super Street Fighter 2

Platformers:

• Donkey Kong Country 1-3
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Adventure Island 1 & 2

Racing:

• F-Zero
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Top Gear 1 & 2

RPG:

• Breath of Fire 1 & 2
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy 2 & 3 (IV & VI in Japan)
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Shoot-Em Ups:

• Axelay
  • Darius Twin
  • Gradius III
  • R-Type III: Third Lightning
  • Super R-Type

Other:

• Sim City
  • Wolfenstein 3-D (it was edited to take the Nazi stuff out, but back in the day this was the only way to play the game if you didn't have a PC, which weren't nearly as common in households as it is today)
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJSEXAY"]I like Mario well enough but the Genesis Sonic kicked his ass....Renegade_Fury

I'll answer that one: Control, color, music, atmosphere, and level design. Mario World's bland look, dull levels, stiff gameplay that requires you to hold the run button at all times, and 2 or 3 tracks just doesn't compare. Sonic also doesn't waste my time with looking for keys or trying to figure out if I need to beat a stage by either collecting coins or playing as fast as I can.

I completely disagree with controls and level design. I've always thought Sonic's level design, while good, feels more lazy because it seems alot more repetitive. It seems like it relies way too much of sending the player through loops and tubes for variation and excitement; Mario's levels have more actual variety (I can give you some examples if you like). Mario also has far more enemy variety. The robots in Sonic are pretty repetitive and lazy. I also think the controls in Sonic feel more touchy.

Atmosphere is a very subjective measure that I'd probably agree with you on. Music I absolutely agree with, but I don't feel that's particularly pertinent to overall quality.

Also, getting keys, if I remember correctly, is an optional thing in Mario World and for the bulk of stages, you simply get to the end, so I'm not sure what you mean with the bolded.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I completely disagree with controls and level design. I've always thought Sonic's level design, while good, feels more lazy because it feels alot more repetitive. It seems like it relies way too much of sending the player through loops and tubes for variation and excitement; Mario's levels have more actual variety (I can give you some examples if you like). Mario also has far more enemy variety. The robots in Sonic are pretty repetitive and lazy. I also think the controls in Sonic feel more touchy.

Atmosphere is a very subjective measure that I'd probably agree with you on. Music I absolutely agree with it, but I don't feel that's particularly pertinent to quality.

Also, getting keys is not an optional thing in Mario and for the bulk of stages, you simply get to the end, so I'm not sure what you mean with the bolded.

I don't think they're lazy, they're different styles. Mario World stages are more about messing around, and Sonic's are quick and to the point. I like the latter.

Control, isn't even a question to me. It's the momentum based gameplay that allows the player to do things like this. No other platformer makes me feel in control like Sonic, while Mario feels very run of the mill.

I like my platformers to be straightforward and not have any filler. In Mario World, you do need to find keys, figure out the right path, and in one particular level there is a sign that flat out tells you to either get a certain amount of coins or beat it as fast as you can to beat the game. I find all of this to be nonsense. The reason Super Mario Bros. for the NES is my favorite of the series is because it doesn't consist of so much BS and time wasters.

Oh, and I totally disagree with you on music in regards to quality. To me that's what can make a game truly stick out and lift it to memorable status. One of Sonic's principal philophsies was to focus on making enjoyable and fun music, and I think that has been a very consistent attribute the franchise has maintained.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

I completely disagree with controls and level design. I've always thought Sonic's level design, while good, feels more lazy because it feels alot more repetitive. It seems like it relies way too much of sending the player through loops and tubes for variation and excitement; Mario's levels have more actual variety (I can give you some examples if you like). Mario also has far more enemy variety. The robots in Sonic are pretty repetitive and lazy. I also think the controls in Sonic feel more touchy.

Atmosphere is a very subjective measure that I'd probably agree with you on. Music I absolutely agree with it, but I don't feel that's particularly pertinent to quality.

Also, getting keys is not an optional thing in Mario and for the bulk of stages, you simply get to the end, so I'm not sure what you mean with the bolded.

I don't think they're lazy, they're different styles. Mario World stages are more about messing around, and Sonic's are quick and to the point. I like the latter.

Control, isn't even a question to me. It's the momentum based gameplay that allows the player to do things like this. No other platformer makes me feel in control like Sonic, while Mario feels very run of the mill.

I like my platformers to be straightforward and not have any filler. In Mario World, you do need to find keys, figure out the right path, and in one particular level there is a sign that flat out tells you to either get a certain amount of coins or beat it as fast as you can to beat the game. I find all of this to be nonsense. The reason Super Mario Bros. for the NES is my favorite of the series is because it doesn't consist of so much BS and time wasters.

You may be able to mess around more in Mario World stages, but I don't think they are about that at all. Like Sonic, they are about getting to the end. The difference is that the developers throw a wider variety of obstacles at the player in Mario. I'm not knocking Sonic for having a different playstyle. That's fine. But I do feel that the Sonic level designers were not nearly as creative. And while the levels in Sonic are well-designed, they seem to use the same tricks alot.

About control: Sonic's control might be faster and more momentum-based, but that doesn't make it more "quality". Also, I'd disagree that one feels more in control with Sonic. I feel that Sonic is the one that often takes control away, even if it's for short periods, from the player while Mario doesn't.

Furthermore, you call Mario's controls run of the mill, but it only seems that way because more platformers copied Mario's style. I don't think it makes sense to call the pioneer run of the mill.

I do admit that I could be remembering wrong about the keys and what not. It's been a while since I played Mario World.