What is your dream job? Game journalism?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sugycz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By sugycz
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Some people say that gaming journalism is an easy job. They imagine it as playing on the computer all day without work. Even I thought it sooner. Gaming journalists do not have an easy job. They do not have a big salary. All you have is a lot of work and stress. Like to have journalists in other fields. Players such readers are very demanding. Require perfect knowledge of the game, perfect grammar, still current articles etc.. Still, I decided to do the job, at least as a hobby. I love the game and journalism. I created a Czech gaming magazine Neogamer. Together with colleagues we write news about casual games and we create a videos. New we are focused on DotA 2 and League of Legends.

pboontap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pboontap
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

if your goal is to bring some actual journalism to "game journalism" and not just spout press releases and softball interviews, then i fully support your endeavor. "gaming journalism has lacked teeth for far too long.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

My dream job is sitting on my ass all day long

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@pboontap said:

if your goal is to bring some actual journalism to "game journalism" and not just spout press releases and softball interviews, then i fully support your endeavor. "gaming journalism has lacked teeth for far too long.

That's because it's an access industry that has more in common with Hollywood than the hard-biting journalism you might see in a newspaper.

I'm not sure why people don't get that: videogames are entertainment, not politics.

Try and imagine a late night talk show interview with a movie star. A segment of the actors' newest film is played and the host immediately starts grilling the actor on why the film looks so bad...yeah, would never happen. I'm not sure why you would expect the same here.

Do you want timely reviews, advanced previews and sneak-peeks? If the answer to that is yes, then you have to accept that publisher PR and journalists have to be friendly with each other. Publishers don't keep games journalists in the loop because there are regulations that obligate them to; they do it for mutual gain.

You can't just send a publisher an e-mail telling them to hand over an advanced preview of their game so you can tear them a new one *cracks knuckles for effect*. That's absurd and leave the publisher with no incentive to cooperate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Game journalism sounds like a nightmare.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Why mods leave shit like this thread is strange.

But game "journalism" is a oxymoron.

Game critics and people writing about games are and never will be anything even resembling journalists.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Jacanuk: No one reported it, and I missed it. My time is limited, and I deal with a lot of crap the second I log on every day as is. You guys need to help me, help you. Don't worry about karma, I'll reset it for you if it gets too high.

Oh and OP, if you are an actual human being or ever come back to check this thread, no advertising.