What is the meaning of the expression Rogue Like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brazucass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Brazucass
Member since 2009 • 482 Posts

I have been reading and seeing this for a couple of months and I have no idea.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I'm unfamiliar with the genre but if I had to guess its an procuderally generated dungeon crawler with a perma death system.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It is a dungeon crawler here each dungeon is different. It can have permanent death or have it where some of the progress is keep but the dungeon is restarted.

Brazucass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Brazucass
Member since 2009 • 482 Posts

@wiouds: Oh! So Diablo 1 was probably the first rogue like game. Got it!

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#5 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Diablo was not the first Rogue-like, and it isn't even classified as one.

The first Rogue-like was a game called Rogue. It refers to games that have a more realistic difficulty (you have a single life etc.), are usually turn-based (but this is being eroded away by modern developers), features random maps, items, encounters, buffs, debuffs and so on...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@so_hai said:

Diablo was not the first Rogue-like, and it isn't even classified as one.

The first Rogue-like was a game called Rogue. It refers to games that have a more realistic difficulty (you have a single life etc.), are usually turn-based (but this is being eroded away by modern developers), features random maps, items, encounters, buffs, debuffs and so on...

This. As mentioned, perm-death and randomly generated maps are common features of "Rogue-likes" and the term literally comes from one of the earliest games to have these features. Most commonly it means randomly generated levels in games intended for relatively short playthroughs with the intention of a lot of replay value over and over. Usually these are games where once you "fail" you have to start over. One of the best examples would be the game FTL, which features a completely randomly generated galaxy that you trek through towards a final "boss" ending. Literally everything in the game is completely different with each playthrough (placement of sectors, contents of sectors, content of encounters, number of different types of encounters, even the location and inventory of the stores).

More complex "Rogue-like" type games have evolved over the years although more recently it can mean games in which characters may die (as in Darkest Dungeon) and cannot be revived. Darkest Dungeon doesn't end but instead you can keep recruiting new heroes to replace onces that die. Again, this is a game with randomly generated dungeons where all the playthrough content is different every time.

Other games like Rogue Legacy incorporate both characteristics. The duneons are randomly generated with each playthrough, but you can make progress if you reach certain milestones that persists between playthrouhgs. Every character that dies is permanently dead, but instead of forcing you to start over from scratch you get to play a new "hero" who is descended from your original hero. The game also selects a random assortment of positive and negative traits and assigns them to each character you can choose. You also have the option of "locking" the dungeon so you aren't starting from scratch every time, but at the cost of a hefty tax on any rewards you get from the dungeon each time you prevent it from randomizing. Money that you acquire in your playthroughs can be used to buy permanent upgrades to your various characters that you play.

Randomly generated content is probably the single biggest characteristic of games classified as a Rogue-like, with permdeath being the second most associated characteristic. High replayability factor follows close behind.

-Byshop

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

All right guys great work..... I feel like we all really contributed something this time. :)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#8 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Like everyone said, rogue-likes are basically characterized by the following:

• randomly generated levels
  • some sort of perma-death system
  • some form of progression system, either from each dungeon or permanent upgrades
  • simple gameplay mechanics, usually (though not always) based on traditional platforming
  • high replay value
  • Often very high difficulty

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Has always meant perma-death to me or a relative form of it....
Such as the Soul's series for example.

First Rogue like game I played was Planescape: The Tormented, I guess. (if you don't include the traditional Arcade games that were all designed to make you poorer a quarter at a time.)