What if the N64 had a CD drive?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

What, do you think, would happen if the N64 had a CD drive (and some possible other enhancements) ?

I can see better graphics and more content, but, above all, a lot more 3rd party support.

Games like Final Fantasy VII were originally planned for the N64, but moved to the PlayStation due to cartridge restrictions.

Carts were also a lot more expensive than CDs.

They did have the benefit of instant loading times, but the bad sides outweight the good sides imo.

It's also important to note that Nintendo planned a "disk drive" (64DD) since the beginning, but that came out only in Japan and was quickly discontinued.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

It's called the Nintendo 64DD. It's quite rare, but it exists. It used disks, as in 64mb discs. Not CDs, though.

KPAXMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 KPAXMAN
Member since 2009 • 160 Posts

Games probably would've looked a lot nicer and also make the Dreamcast a lot less relevant.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nameless12345

http://www.superwes.com/journal/2005/051205/N64wDD.jpg

It's called the Nintendo 64DD. It's quite rare, but it exists. It used disks, as in 64mb discs. Not CDs, though.

Emerald_Warrior

This was not a CD drive, but just a "giant floppy drive". In other words - 64DD used magnetic discs that didn't offer as much space as CDs and the add-on was discontinued before it could breathe. Nintendo did have high aims with it, true, but games that should appear on it (like Zelda 64, Conker 64, ect.) all moved to cartridges or other systems.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

What, do you think, would happen if the N64 had a CD drive (and some possible other enhancements) ?

I can see better graphics and more content, but, above all, a lot more 3rd party support.

Games like Final Fantasy VII were originally planned for the N64, but moved to the PlayStation due to cartridge restrictions.

They did have the benefit of instant loading times, but the bad sides outweight the good sides imo.

It's also important to note that Nintendo planned a "disk drive" (64DD) since the beginning, but that came out only in Japan and was quickly discontinued.

nameless12345
you pretty much hit the nail on the head, if the N64 had a CD drive, it would have had more 3rd party support, though Im not sure how much support Nintendo would have gotten considering the amount of support sony was getting even before the N64 launch.
XxeviltedizXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XxeviltedizXx
Member since 2010 • 176 Posts

that would change everything

ehhwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ehhwhatever
Member since 2010 • 1463 Posts

I like the fact that I just dusted my N64 off (really with a leave blower) and played quake II on a plasma TV and it looked awesome and you can't find quake II on a console other than the N64 so I don't have to configure a PC or keep a PC that can run the game. btw my n64 had the expansion pak and memory pak and it worked after I don't know how long. good times! bah to the optical drive, it is just more moving parts. Plus s-video universal cables didn't hurt.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darkman2007

I like the fact that I just dusted my N64 off (really with a leave blower) and played quake II on a plasma TV and it looked awesome and you can't find quake II on a console other than the N64 so I don't have to configure a PC or keep a PC that can run the game. btw my n64 had the expansion pak and memory pak and it worked after I don't know how long. good times! bah to the optical drive, it is just more moving parts. Plus s-video universal cables didn't hurt.

ehhwhatever
Quake 2 was on the PS1 as well , and Quake 1 was on the Saturn.
midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

It might have done better if it had had CD-based games if it had had a built in CD drive from the start, but such large add-on peripherals such as the Mega CD rarely helped consoles.

Personally as a fan of carts, I'm glad it didn't, as although I only really remember it for about 10 games or so, the N64 is the console I remember more warmly than any other, and I doubt that'd be the case if it had miserable loading times, easily-damaged discs, faulty lasers and whatnot. The sort of 3rd party games it'd have attracted had it used CDs probably wouldn't have been the ones I'd have been particularly interested in anyway. I'd have found load times in multiplayer games such as Mario Kart and Goldeneye really irritating. Granted, there are some games you could only realistically do on CD but from a personal point of view I'm glad N64 kept carts going for another generation.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Had it been built from the start for a CD drive I feel it would have done considerably better. The PS1 may still have one in sells but the N64 would have been a lot closer. This would of effected the next generation some to. Who knows if the PS2 would have still been as big?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darkman2007
Had it been built from the start for a CD drive I feel it would have done considerably better. The PS1 may still have one in sells but the N64 would have been a lot closer. This would of effected the next generation some to. Who knows if the PS2 would have still been as big?TheColbert
well ,considering FF7 and the following FF games were such huge sellers on the on the PS1, had the N64 had CDs , all of them would have been on N64 (as per the original plan) , and the N64 would have sold more , especially in Japan (which ended being its weakest market)
sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

http://www.superwes.com/journal/2005/051205/N64wDD.jpg

This was not a CD drive, but just a "giant floppy drive". In other words - 64DD used magnetic discs that didn't offer as much space as CDs and the add-on was discontinued before it could breathe. Nintendo did have high aims with it, true, but games that should appear on it (like Zelda 64, Conker 64, ect.) all moved to cartridges or other systems.

Was it like a zip drive? I had an external one when I was going to school in the early 2000s. They took iomega 100 MB discs. That's what it looks like in the pic.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nameless12345

Here is what I think the 64 could have had:

- CD drive

- more texture cache

- better dev tools

- better memory setup

- sound chip

- better analogue stick

- support for online play (via a modem add-on)

These things wouldn't make the console too expensive but the performance would be a lot better, with better graphics and more content and better 3rd party support.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="ehhwhatever"]

Darkman2007

Quake 2 was on the PS1 as well , and Quake 1 was on the Saturn.

plus, you don't have to configure anything to run Quake 2 on windows

and honestly, "keep a PC that can run the game"? the thing was launched in 1997, even Windows XP is more resource demanding then Quake 2 (i'm not kidding, it actually is)

anyway back on topic, a lot of N64 games suffered from texture repetition, lack of CGI and lack of pre-rendered backgrounds

as someone correctly said, the dreamcast would have been less relevant if the N64 has used CD's

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

Games would have been cheaper. I remember some N64 games getting up into the $70 range. I do feel like the cart medium and the memory was the bottle neck on the N64. Although if it had these two things idk that the N64 would have automatically done better, because Nintedo really irritated Japanese 3rd parties with the whole Sony debacle. Now, had Nintendo been able to create a reasonable contract with Sony, and they had created the N64 together, then omg, it would have been epic.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
If the N64 would have included a CD drive, the only advantage Sony would have had at the time would have been the 3rd party support. However, if it had used CD's then perhaps more 3rd parties would have stayed neutral and supported both systems more. Saturn, though, I don't really know. Though the design may have changed, perhaps it still would have allowed 4-controllers without any add-ons.. A similar question to ask, perhaps with similar success for the company, would have been "What if the Sega Dreamcast had a DVD drive?" - Both systems would have been much better-positioned as entertainment devices, not just gaming systems.
AntoineCoyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AntoineCoyote
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

N64 with a CD drive would have dominated its generation. A lot of developers and publishers who jumped ship from Nintendo wouldn't have done so and possibly many of the PSX's exclusives would have been N64 exclusives instead. The added space would have also allowed for much more texture detail. Think of PS1 texture detail with N64 graphics! Honestly, Sony would have had a difficult time breaking into the gaming industry if Nintendo rolled with CDs

PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

Games probably would've looked a lot nicer and also make the Dreamcast a lot less relevant.

KPAXMAN
lol wut?
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

nameless12345
Giant floppy? Technically it was more closely related to another magnetic format popular at that time: ZIP.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

nameless12345

Nintendo would have continued it's success from the snes era in a more profound way. It's possible the Playstation would never have happened, or at least not taken off the way it did. Playstation 2s succuss would be replaced by a Nintendo console. You know, things would just be a lot different.

There's also the possibility Nintendo was right in regards to no cds. Yes, ultimately they won out, but the original Playstation was plagued by long loading times and drive errors. The original models, after periods of time, would often time skip during ANY fmv sequence. People also underestimate the loading times--some games literally took 2-3 minutes to load up. That's painful imo.

It's too bad the 64DD never made it out the gate. Nintendo had some fantastic ideas with the read/write capabilities of the device.

But yes, people are right that the CD format would have shown the true power of the N64. Games would have looked a whole lot better.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Heirren

Nintendo would have continued it's success from the snes era in a more profound way. It's possible the Playstation would never have happened, or at least not taken off the way it did. Playstation 2s succuss would be replaced by a Nintendo console. You know, things would just be a lot different.

There's also the possibility Nintendo was right in regards to no cds. Yes, ultimately they won out, but the original Playstation was plagued by long loading times and drive errors. The original models, after periods of time, would often time skip during ANY fmv sequence. People also underestimate the loading times--some games literally took 2-3 minutes to load up. That's painful imo.

It's too bad the 64DD never made it out the gate. Nintendo had some fantastic ideas with the read/write capabilities of the device.

But yes, people are right that the CD format would have shown the true power of the N64. Games would have looked a whole lot better.

Ive never encountered a 2-3 minute loading screen on a PS1 game, although alot of the 2D fighting games have really long loading times (frequent too). and yes, alot of the early PS1 models had many issues with the CD drive, though that was kinda limited to the PS1.
DiminixZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DiminixZor
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 would probably been made to 64 if it was so. and Square Enix would continue working with Nintendo.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Darkman2007

Ive never encountered a 2-3 minute loading screen on a PS1 game, although alot of the 2D fighting games have really long loading times (frequent too). and yes, alot of the early PS1 models had many issues with the CD drive, though that was kinda limited to the PS1.

It might not have been 2-3 minutes, literally, but Resident Evil 2 & 3 seemed to have some moments in the game that took a while to load. You'd be staring at that stupid door screen for a small lifetime if it was right before entering a room with a boss or cutscene or something.

Still, I had a Commodore 64. And nothing, NOTHING else had longer load times than Commodore 64. It literally took 2-3 minutes, and like 5-6 minutes on other games. And listening to that 1541 Floppy Drive work was amazing, I mean that thing was loud with all kinds of wurrs and clicks.

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

Nintendo probably would've won Japan. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest would've never left Nintendo. N64 games would've been cheaper (I remember buying Ocarina of Time for $80). Nintendo probably wouldn't have won Europe, since Nintendo has never won Europe until the Wii. Not sure about America.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Emerald_Warrior

It might not have been 2-3 minutes, literally, but Resident Evil 2 & 3 seemed to have some moments in the game that took a while to load. You'd be staring at that stupid door screen for a small lifetime if it was right before entering a room with a boss or cutscene or something.

Still, I had a Commodore 64. And nothing, NOTHING else had longer load times than Commodore 64. It literally took 2-3 minutes, and like 5-6 minutes on other games. And listening to that 1541 Floppy Drive work was amazing, I mean that thing was loud with all kinds of wurrs and clicks.

the ZX spectrum took longer to load.

the startup boot alone could take up to 15 minutes.... and that's not counting the very likely start errors you might get which forces you to re-boot the game and wait another 15 minutes

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Ive never encountered a 2-3 minute loading screen on a PS1 game, although alot of the 2D fighting games have really long loading times (frequent too). and yes, alot of the early PS1 models had many issues with the CD drive, though that was kinda limited to the PS1.ohthemanatee

the startup boot alone could take up to 15 minutes.... and that's not counting the very likely start errors you might get which forces you to re-boot the game and wait another 15 minutes

I only had a PC as a kid, but I can clearly remember floppy discs taking a very long time to load. I remember having to install windows 95, rather then on a disc, it came with about 50 floppy discs , it was annoying, took forever.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

Darkman2007

I only had a PC as a kid, but I can clearly remember floppy discs taking a very long time to load. I remember having to install windows 95, rather then on a disc, it came with about 50 floppy discs , it was annoying, took forever.

The ZX spectrum didn't use discs, instead it used audio cassetes:

now THAT's old school...ah the memories

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the domination of Nintendo would have never ended, FFVII would have had much better graphics. :shock:

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Ive never encountered a 2-3 minute loading screen on a PS1 game, although alot of the 2D fighting games have really long loading times (frequent too). and yes, alot of the early PS1 models had many issues with the CD drive, though that was kinda limited to the PS1.ohthemanatee

Never had a ZX Spectrum. I'm in the U.S. so the thing was basically non-existant for me. Back then everyone that had a computer in the U.S. either had a Commodore 64 or an Apple II of some sort in the 80s. The big business and really rich kids had IBMs.

The Commodore 64 had a casette drive, too. But I never had it. I just had my trusty 1541 floppy drive, and the unit itself has a cartridge slot that I had a space invaders rip-off on.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

Emerald_Warrior

Never had a ZX Spectrum. I'm in the U.S. so the thing was basically non-existant for me. Back then everyone that had a computer in the U.S. either had a Commodore 64 or an Apple II of some sort in the 80s. The big business and really rich kids had IBMs.

The Commodore 64 had a casette drive, too. But I never had it. I just had my trusty 1541 floppy drive, and the unit itself has a cartridge slot that I had a space invaders rip-off on.

I live in Portugal, so until MS-DOS based PC's and Amiga's became the norm the commodore brand was pretty much non-existant here.

But I do know that in the UK commodore fans would make fun of ZX spectrum fans due to the speccy's graphics and sound

for comparison's sake:

R-type for the C64

R-type for the Spectrum

and believe it or not, the spectrum version is often considered as one of the best games on the system

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Emerald_Warrior

Wow, that R-Type on C64 looks amazing. I can't believe that it's even a C64 game.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darkman2007

Wow, that R-Type on C64 looks amazing. I can't believe that it's even a C64 game.

Emerald_Warrior

from what ive seen , most C64 games look a notch below games on the NES (which was a notch below the Master System)

Ive never had any of the old 80s computers , just a bit too young, I did have a PC (or rather, access to a PC), as a little kid, I remember playing Golden Axe and Aladdin on the PC, which were better then their console counterparts

Golden Axe PC

Aladdin PC

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ohthemanatee

Darkman2007

from what ive seen , most C64 games look a notch below games on the NES (which was a notch below the Master System)

Ive never had any of the old 80s computers , just a bit too young, I did have a PC (or rather, access to a PC), as a little kid, I remember playing Golden Axe and Aladdin on the PC, which were better then their console counterparts

Golden Axe PC

Aladdin PC

Oh dude I loved the PC version of Golden axe

speaking of the PC's hardware capabilities anyone remember this graphic powerhouse?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

ohthemanatee

Golden Axe PC

Aladdin PC

Golden Axe was probably the first game I ever played, either that or the Prince of Persia , or TMNT2 Arcade, also on PC

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darkman2007

wasn't this game called Hard Drivin or something like that? it looks similar to a game I saw on the Mega Drive.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Golden Axe PC

Aladdin PC

Darkman2007

Golden Axe was probably the first game I ever played, either that or the Prince of Persia , or TMNT2 Arcade, also on PC

well, I didn't own a 16 bit console at the time, though I had acess to both a sega megadrive and an SNES

so I spent most of the 16 bit era playing the PC, I still remember the countless hours on Golden axe, Dune, Dune 2, Stunts, Wolfenstein 3D and many more

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ohthemanatee

wasn't this game called Hard Drivin or something like that? it looks similar to a game I saw on the Mega Drive.

Darkman2007

different game, though from what I remember the mega drive version of hard drivin' was neigh on unplayable

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

ohthemanatee

different game, though from what I remember the mega drive version of hard drivin' was neigh on unplayable

it runs at literally 5 frames per second, its just too much game for the mega drive to handle. I had Dune 2, the first strategy game I played, back in around 1993 , Jazz Jackrabbit was another good one, as was Commander Keen (number 1 , 2, 3 and 4 in particular)
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

it runs at literally 5 frames per second, its just too much game for the mega drive to handle. I had Dune 2, the first strategy game I played, back in around 1993 , Jazz Jackrabbit was another good one, as was Commander Keen (number 1 , 2, 3 and 4 in particular)

the PC was such an awesome platform and is so promptly forgotten here on the legacy forums

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

ohthemanatee

the PC was such an awesome platform and is so promptly forgotten here on the legacy forums

because most gamers were console only gamers, or only played a few PC games, of course I don't miss trying to get games to start up on the PC , or installing them , but it was very cool , there were some very nice games on the PC
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Well it sort of did. The N64 Disc Drive. A old style zip drive which was released in Japan but never anywhere else. CD Drive add on never sold well to begin with. Even when having videogames on CD was a big deal. The Nintendo 64 still would have "lost" to the Sony playstation if it had a CD drive.

shadow_Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#42 shadow_Metroid
Member since 2005 • 1631 Posts

Emerald_Warrior

Wow, thats crazy I never knew..

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nameless12345

Well it sort of did. The N64 Disc Drive. A old style zip drive which was released in Japan but never anywhere else. CD Drive add on never sold well to begin with. Even when having videogames on CD was a big deal. The Nintendo 64 still would have "lost" to the Sony playstation if it had a CD drive.

Megavideogamer

I didn't mean if it had a CD add-on, but if it came WITH the console (i.e. if it was built into the console since start).

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

shadow_Metroid

Well back during the 5th gen days of the PSOne and N64 having a CD Drive could make and break a console. The thing back in those days though was that Nintendo up to that point was known for crazy add ons for their Japanese consoles. For example the DD on the N64 was something Nintendo had done before with the Famicom Disk drive, and on that Disk Drive many important games were released such as Super Mario Bros 2(lost levels) and a little launch title for the Famicom DD that was called The Legend of Zelda. Also I remember back in the fifth Gen days that the 64 DD was to come but it never came here. Years later though we would some of its titles, such as the Master Quest version of Ocarina of Time which was basically a harder remixed version of Ocarina of Time.

But again the 64DD was not a CD Drive nor did anything to help edge out Sony. It almost came here but it never did. And again the 64DD was nothing new in those days either....

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="shadow_Metroid"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Well back during the 5th gen days of the PSOne and N64 having a CD Drive could make and break a console. The thing back in those days though was that Nintendo up to that point was known for crazy add ons for their Japanese consoles. For example the DD on the N64 was something Nintendo had done before with the Famicom Disk drive, and on that Disk Drive many important games were released such as Super Mario Bros 2(lost levels) and a little launch title for the Famicom DD that was called The Legend of Zelda. Also I remember back in the fifth Gen days that the 64 DD was to come but it never came here. Years later though we would some of its titles, such as the Master Quest version of Ocarina of Time which was basically a harder remixed version of Ocarina of Time.

But again the 64DD was not a CD Drive nor did anything to help edge out Sony. It almost came here but it never did. And again the 64DD was nothing new in those days either....

I assume Nintendo went with cartridges due to the piracy that was involved with CDs, the N64DD was kinda pointless tbh, since the discs were 64MB , a size which eventually some N64 cartridges reached anyways, like Resident Evil 2.

I don't know if Nintendo would have outsold sony if the N64 had a CD drive from the get go , but it would have solved the one problem the N64 had, lack of 3rd party games

. the N64 has less games then either the PS1 or the Saturn , exactly because of the cartridge issue, and the 64DD didn't seem to attract developers, it wouldnt have allowed for many FMVs or alot of voice dialog like there was in a typical CD based game

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="shadow_Metroid"]

Darkman2007

I assume Nintendo went with cartridges due to the piracy that was involved with CDs, the N64DD was kinda pointless tbh, since the discs were 64MB , a size which eventually some N64 cartridges reached anyways, like Resident Evil 2.

I don't know if Nintendo would have outsold sony if the N64 had a CD drive from the get go , but it would have solved the one problem the N64 had, lack of 3rd party games

. the N64 has less games then either the PS1 or the Saturn , exactly because of the cartridge issue, and the 64DD didn't seem to attract developers, it wouldnt have allowed for many FMVs or alot of voice dialog like there was in a typical CD based game

Yep exactly. And mind you it was that decision to go Cartridge that killed Nintendo's relationship with Squaresoft. I think it also had to do to some degree with Nintendo's family guidelines, which Sony did not have, and let developers have their way. Squaresoft went to Sony because of the CD and it gave them more creative freedom with their games. I think another thing that was a turn off for the N64 as well was that because of the Cartridge format, games could go into the 80 dollar range. And yes that was a turn off for people. I think Nintendo and Sonys rivarly in those days would have been more heated if Nintendo went with a CD Rom drive as opposed to Cartridge. I donot know if that was the reason either, piracy, it was not as rampant as it is today. Yes I knew of modded PSones, but those were rare as it was hard to mod a PSONE, so not sure if priacy was the reason.

You are right it would have gotten more Third party support, and if it went CD it would of been a more heated battle in the Fifth Gen console wars then the total Sony dominance that the 5th gen was known for.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Darkman2007

Squaresoft went to Sony , not only because of the CD, but also because Sony was willing to throw a huge amount of money for marketing FF7 , which got an insane amount of advertising, something Nintendo would never do.

they might say otherwise, but its the truth, money won out in the end, its the reason why Tomb Raider 2 became a PS1 exclusive despite TR1 being on the Saturn first, Sony paid Eidos alot of money for that exclusivity .

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheTrueMagusX1

Squaresoft went to Sony , not only because of the CD, but also because Sony was willing to throw a huge amount of money for marketing FF7 , which got an insane amount of advertising, something Nintendo would never do.

they might say otherwise, but its the truth, money won out in the end, its the reason why Tomb Raider 2 became a PS1 exclusive despite TR1 being on the Saturn first, Sony paid Eidos alot of money for that exclusivity .

Darkman2007

I think the Marketing reason was really not a factor to be honest. Final fantasy Games always got Excellent Marketing in Japan. They were never really hyped otu here in the states, except in small niche circles, but no advertising blitz. It was actually a huge risk for Sony to make that move and finance that blitz because Turn based games were not big sellers and it was certainly not a game considered mass market. Marketing was second to the CD Drive.

A CD was cheaper to produce while at the same time allowed for more creative control. Yes it always about money, but money was a factorin a much different way then you said it was.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

TheTrueMagusX1

I think the Marketing reason was really not a factor to be honest. Final fantasy Games always got Excellent Marketing in Japan. They were never really hyped otu here in the states, except in small niche circles, but no advertising blitz. It was actually a huge risk for Sony to make that move and finance that blitz because Turn based games were not big sellers and it was certainly not a game considered mass market. Marketing was second to the CD Drive.

A CD was cheaper to produce while at the same time allowed for more creative control. Yes it always about money, but money was a factorin a much different way then you said it was.

The games got excellent marketing in Japan, but poor marketing in the US, and Nintendo had never even released a single FF game in Europe, so marketing and publishing the game was a factor. its exactly that risk that Sony took , that Nintendo wouldn't , partly because they couldnt afford it (and Sony could), and partially because they probably saw less potential in RPG games. CD cost was a factor no doubt, but the fact that Sony was willing to market and publish the game in the west should not be underestimated.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

The games got excellent marketing in Japan, but poor marketing in the US, and Nintendo had never even released a single FF game in Europe, so marketing and publishing the game was a factor. its exactly that risk that Sony took , that Nintendo wouldn't , partly because they couldnt afford it (and Sony could), and partially because they probably saw less potential in RPG games. CD cost was a factor no doubt, but the fact that Sony was willing to market and publish the game in the west should not be underestimated.

Actually that came after the deal was made. Yes Sony was willing to make that risk, but remember this. Square had Final Fantasy VII to fully go ahead for the N64 at one point. Heck even at one point, FFVII was even going to be a Super Famicom game at one point, and was to be set in New York City and follow a Detective.(I kid you not, this was the original plan for FFVII.)The fact of the matter is that, Nintendo and Square relationship was also going sour at this point, and the Cartridge base was the nail in the coffin as they say. Square actually worked on FFVII on the N64 but the cartridge was far to limiting. Again yes Money was a factor, but the Marketing for the US release and a European release came in much later. Sony helped fund the project, on a development stand point and had a platform that was easier to work on and cheaper to distribute.