What games do you consider as art?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

321orez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 321orez
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts

[QUOTE="Ozmodiar1"]

All games are art, just as all paintings are. It's just a matter of whether it's good art or not.

nethernova

No. in fact no games are art. And that's indeed a fact. In Germany you have to censor swastikas and other symbols in video games while they don't have to be censored in movies. That's because movies are considered art and games aren't.

So if someone censors the Statue of David by Michelangelo it's no longer art?

All games are art, some of my favorites being Alice, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, LBP, Devil May Cry

sneric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 sneric
Member since 2009 • 287 Posts

Mass Effect and Bayonetta

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Braid & SotC come to mind. Haven't played LIMBO or ICO, but they sound artistic as well.

Edit: Oh, are we talking artistic visually? There are plenty of games that qualify there.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
Heavy Rain so different and unique.
Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
[QUOTE="Ozmodiar1"]

All games are art, just as all paintings are. It's just a matter of whether it's good art or not.

nethernova
No. in fact no games are art. And that's indeed a fact. In Germany you have to censor swastikas and other symbols in video games while they don't have to be censored in movies. That's because movies are considered art and games aren't.

Where is this fact? Show me some proof? Swastikas is a pretty dumb excuse imo, they are used in video games. World at War? Wolfenstein? RUSE? All becuase its illegal in Germany doesn't mean its illegal everywhere else.
c_moriarty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 c_moriarty
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts
I've only played the demo of both, and only for a few minutes, but I think Limbo seems much more artistic (in the way I'm thinking about this) than Braid or any other game that I've seen or played. Games being stories, graphics, sound, concepts, literal artwork, etc... I don't see them as being too different from movies or stories of any other kind. There are things that are better about a book, or something else that's real quality... I think people and companies should put more efforts into thinking of games like some kind of art and not just something to get carpal tunnel syndrome with. Done correctly, video games could get a lot of people's attention away from a lot of books or movies that they might otherwise spend their time on. It's just that they're basically not really up to the level of a 1,000-page novel or an Oscar-winning film. I think it's because the people and companies behind treat them as games instead of as a very serious form of entertainment or art.
c_moriarty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 c_moriarty
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts
Just like everyone else does.
hauntedhistory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 hauntedhistory
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Any of the Myst games. For not just the visuals but also the creative minds that went into designing the games.

Avatar image for ZombiePhoenix72
ZombiePhoenix72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ZombiePhoenix72
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

Just to make thins clear it's not just art style but you can put those games in too. An obvious one would be Okami. It's the game in genral really. I'm not really sure how to explain it but I'm sure someone here can:)

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

All games are art, but not all art is created equal.

Also, gameplay/game design is an art, though it is an art invisible to non-gamers.