Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

Seems like most AAA games this gen are pretty overhyped. So far I've bought GTA V, Watchdogs, The witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, AC Unity and Syndicate, Shadow of Mordor and a few others. I like open world games. But every one of thse games I don't know. The wticher 3 was good but even that has its flaws with the frame drops and combat and the amount of dialogue. Batman was really polished graphically but some of the puzzles and batmobile was really annoying. Shadow of Mordor was overhyped. GTA I played last gen. Unity was terrible. I just bought Syndicate and feel like i wasted my money. Watchdogs was actually ok but not like they hyped it. I want to get Fallout 4 but I'm really hesitant reading metacritic and the user reviews. Seems like fallout 3 but not as good. Any recommendations or games i'm missing that are underrated?

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

metal gear solid 5

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

All games are horrible, all games are fantastic.

I'm enjoying Fallout 4 a lot (and I personally think it improved on F3, but probably not as much as some people would have liked), but if you thought the technical flaws and combat of TW3 were annoying, then I can't really recommend it. Other than that, if it's open world action stuff you're looking for, then there's little to recommend, since 'good' open world action isn't really the domain of smaller titles you might not have heard of. You could try Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's not strictly open world, but is has large spaces to explore. Or Dying Light, maybe? Mad Max? Far Cry 4 (or 3)? Or wait for Just Cause 3 and do something else in the meantime.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I would recommend Fallout 4

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Celtic_34: I like Batman Arkham Knight very much, you can also go with older games and play those

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I've played a lot of excellent games myself. Games such as:

- Batman: Arkham Knight

- Grand Theft Auto V

- Halo 5

- Forza 6

- Metal Gear Solid V

- The Witcher 3

- Call of Duty: Black Ops III

- Fallout 4

just to name a few.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

You gave here a nice list of very good games, if you didn't like any of it I don't think specific recommendation would "light you fire" for gaming. I think you should check what's going on with yourself if you didn't enjoy at all from so many franchises...I mean of course everyone and his opinion, but if games that got score of 10 isn't enough...

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The strong offerings this gen personally have been

Pikmin 3

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Bloodborne

Super Mario 3D World

Bayonetta 2

Super Smash Bros. Wii U

New Super Mario Bros U

All of these are top of their class in my opinion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I see what the problem is..... you focused too much on the Hype....

My advice is: don't play whats good..... instead, just play what you like..... if you catch my drift. ;)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#10 RSM-HQ  Online
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Lots of games are good/ thread

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

It's hard to recommend anything when you only mention examples of what you dislike.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Gone home is pretty good

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

I don't understand "game was overhyped so I don't like it". What does hype have to do with whether a game is enjoyable to play?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Whatever I say is good.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#15 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Don't focus on hype so much. Just look for what you like and ignore all the buzz. For instance, I just recently rented Fallout 4 (trying it before committing, since I'm broke). Personally, I think it's a great game, and I'm not even a diehard fan of the franchise.

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 harrygooch
Member since 2015 • 282 Posts

Fallout 4, metal gear solid 5, the new tomb raider

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

Witcher 3. I tend not to finish games. I get bored and don't see myself playing tedious games just to waste time. I found Witcher 3 to be one of few games that I actually completed and when I did, I asked is there more. I honestly think that's one of the best rpg games I've played in recent years that had me hooked nearly the entire time. (It had flaws) but for the most part was amazing

Other than that, I can think of shadow Of Mordor, GTA. Some other games like league of legends is still awesome, and total war games,

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

@Baconstrip78 said:

I don't understand "game was overhyped so I don't like it". What does hype have to do with whether a game is enjoyable to play?

I just mean I've played these games and don't buy the hype so much. They are all pretty mediocre and have some serious flaws. Not saying i get hyped and am then disapointed. I just see them for what they are. The best of the lot so far to me was Batman, The Witcher and Watchdogs but i dont think any of these games really separated themselves or wow'd me. I thought the witcher had some good moments. So did Batman and Watchdogs. GTA I already played last gen. Shadow of Mordor was fun for a few hours but really didn't do anything that special to deserve the hype it got. Unity had some good moments and I actually enjoyed it but again it wasnt what i would say a great game. I feel the same way about Syndicate. Syndicate just has this feeling of cookie cutter environments and really lacks a soul imo. It just feels unfinished to me. I don't think it's any better than Unity.

Batman was probably the most finished product I've played this gen but had some really questionable design choices. The Witcher was also very good but the combat and frame rates were really bad in spots.

I think last gen games like Mass Effect, FAllout 3/NV, Oblivion, SKyrim, Uncharted, Gears of War etc were better games in ways. We seem to be going backwards in ways.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Depends on what genre you're looking for. My personal tastes tend to be a bit more obscure than most, so IDK if I can effectively recommend some games to you unless you give some specific genres.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

I would recommend Fallout 4 and Dying Light for this gen of open world games and The Witcher 3 offcourse but you allready played it. MGS5 gets very repetative after a while but on the other hand it has rock solid gameplay + the multiplayer is pretty fun.