What do you think is the best game world ever created?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I vote Empire Bay from Mafia II, the attention to detail was fantastic, the pedestrains and cars all gave that 40s/50s feel, the game world was very immersive.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I think the best game world will be those islands in far cry 3.

godfather_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 godfather_1
Member since 2005 • 562 Posts
Skyrim or WoW. Skyrim's world just felt alive and is a place where you would want to walk everywhere. World of Warcraft for its sheer vastness and variety between the areas.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
imfamous... because you can be everywhere top bottom
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34615 Posts

Probably Wind Waker for me. Not because of its size or number of things you can do in it, since there are many other games that offer more of that, but because of the atmosphere and graphics and things like that. If I could live in a game world, it would be Wind Waker's. :P

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Warcraft

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

The Pokemon world.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
3d dot game heroes Rapture? Dragon quest 8 a number of levels in ratchet and clank
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

IMO Tallon IV from Metroid Prime.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Theres too many 2 choose from so i will make a list of nominees:

Farcry 3s island- Does look amazing

Cyrodiil or Morrowind from the Elder Scrolls series

Rapture from Bioshock

Enslaved OTTWs world

New Vegas from Fallout:NV

San Andreas from GTA

Deus Ex HRs world

Any world featured in the Fable games

Any world featured in the 3D console Zelda games ( OOT, etc )

Assassins Creed 2s world

Yea i know, i dont know any of the names of these places.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

I vote Empire Bay from Mafia II, the attention to detail was fantastic, the pedestrains and cars all gave that 40s/50s feel, the game world was very immersive.

RageQuitter69

I tend to agree here, the whole map in Mafia II seems to have gotten 100times more attention then the game itself had. But a top 3 would be 1: GTA 2: Mafia II 3: Just Cause II

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

Jacanuk
I tend to agree here, the whole map in Mafia II seems to have gotten 100more times then the game itself had. But a top 3 would be 1: GTA 2: Mafia II 3: Just Cause II

How could I forgot Just Cause 2
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Fallout 3 hands dows. Skyrim was also good. Rapture was notable mention.

Other great worlds to be considered are The Saboteur and Mafia 2.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

-Tallon IV from Metroid Prime was genius in its attention to detail. The world told a complete story in and of itself

-The great ocean from Wind Waker. If there is one thing that spells out adventure to me, it's the open sea. No greater feeling than discovering and exploring new mysterious islands. I get goosebumps when I see the silhouette of a new place on the horizon.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

Things like Rapture of Bioshock, the wastelands of Fallout, and Skyrim come to mind. But I would also say the worlds of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. They are bleak, oppressive, and teeming with hidden places to find. Not to mention all the fantastically designed enemies looking to kill you at every turn.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Skyrim,WoW and ME universe would be my top 3 fav worlds.

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
Warcrafts world is very alive, and you see it change over years and numerous titles. Its a very realised world, with many different inhabitants, cities and cultures. But if I were to choose a singular location, I have to go with Rapture. It's vision and design were/are amazing, and I loved the time I spent there.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

Warcraft is number one in this one it's alive and breathing

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

The fantastic world of Vana'diel, from the shores of Valkurm Dunes to the beautiful forests of The Sanctuary of Zitah. Bonus to anyone that knows what game I'm talking about. I'm honestly starting to miss it...

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 almasdeathchild

The fantastic world of Vana'diel, from the shores of Valkurm Dunes to the beautiful forests of The Sanctuary of Zitah. Bonus to anyone that knows what game I'm talking about. I'm honestly starting to miss it...

Yusuke420

gj a FF thats not 7

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

almasdeathchild

gj a FF thats not 7

Well met good sir, well met!

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#22 lorddaggeroff
Member since 2008 • 2433 Posts

Best game ever is ass muncher 3000, the name says it all. wow what a game, more realistic then crysis and forza 3, it's next gen shame ass muncher 4000 was cancelled due being to expensive.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts
City 17 in Half-Life 2 & Rapture from Bioshock are the standouts for me.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Yusuke420

Final Fantasy VIII also had a interesting world, I mean a flying school is pretty **** incredible.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

IMO Tallon IV from Metroid Prime.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Completely this.

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts
STALKER SoC. Especially with mods and on Master difficulty. When you walk out and come across everyone sitting around the campfire and the crash of thunder heralds a rainstorm. You can hear the howl of dogs and boars fighting in the distance and gunshots. No matter what faction you come across in the oppressive unforgiving wasteland your left with a feeling that none of them are cheesy evil bad guys. They're men brought together by necessity, and leave as family. There are of course plenty of others far better than the stuff you guys are mentioning. Diablo (the first one), Vampire Masquerade, System Shock 2 (infinitely better than that tripe that was biosuck), the first Homeworld and Cataclysm (much better than homeworld 2), the X games, Icewind Dale, Dreamfall, and EVE online.
lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lorddaggeroff

Ok to be honest i will say final fantasy 7 and 8 and 9, those are games that shaped the gaming industry, can i add carnageddon ok ok, i'll be fair final fantasy 8 for simply brilliant world.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 keech

Yusuke420

Good old Final Fantasy XI. Played that game for 8 years and was my first MMO. Fond memories, but every time I think of playing again. I remind myself of how much of a tedious "sit and wait" grind the game was and still is in many ways. Then I get slapped back into reality.

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lorddaggeroff

STALKER SoC. Especially with mods and on Master difficulty. When you walk out and come across everyone sitting around the campfire and the crash of thunder heralds a rainstorm. You can hear the howl of dogs and boars fighting in the distance and gunshots. No matter what faction you come across in the oppressive unforgiving wasteland your left with a feeling that none of them are cheesy evil bad guys. They're men brought together by necessity, and leave as family. There are of course plenty of others far better than the stuff you guys are mentioning. Diablo (the first one), Vampire Masquerade, System Shock 2 (infinitely better than that tripe that was biosuck), the first Homeworld and Cataclysm (much better than homeworld 2), the X games, Icewind Dale, Dreamfall, and EVE online.Vangaurdius

Fall out killed stalker, dam developers gave up and quit no more stalker. there games to complex for average gamer, sad tale that.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

keech

Good old Final Fantasy XI. Played that game for 8 years and was my first MMO. Fond memories, but every time I think of playing again. I remind myself of how much of a tedious "sit and wait" grind the game was and still is in many ways. Then I get slapped back into reality.

Thanks for the the reality check, I'll still be buying a PS3 when FFXIV comes out for it. Here's hoping they will have fixed that game by then!

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lorddaggeroff

Stubs the zombies best game ever, shame they scapped it :( unique fresh and so !@# funny.

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 almasdeathchild

Stubs the zombies best game ever, shame they scapped it :( unique fresh and so !@# funny.

lorddaggeroff

yea back when people actually took risks

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 keech

[QUOTE="keech"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

Thanks for the the reality check, I'll still be buying a PS3 when FFXIV comes out for it. Here's hoping they will have fixed that game by then!

Yeah I was one of the people that got burned buying FFXIV on release day. I'm still bitter about it. But I'll probably end up giving it a second chance when 2.0 hits late this year. Until them I'm more than happy playing TOR and trying out GW2 and The Secret World.

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lorddaggeroff

RageQuitter69

This is best game in world http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQGIjmJfJoI&feature=relmfu

So funny lol we need 2 to come out, omg he looks like charlie sheen on smack lol, i wish they make part 2 :(

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

The Mass Effect universe.

The KOTOR universe.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

Mass Effect

Dark Souls

Demon's Souls

Shadow of the Colossus/ICO

MGS

BioShock

Grand Theft Auto series

Red Dead Redemption

etc

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts
Definitely the Mass Effect universe. It's so amazingly intricate and detailed. Skyrim was fantastic stuff as well.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Norrath from Everquest. So much content to devour. Never before and never since have I spent hours upon hours reading lore about civilizations, races, events, items and quests like I did for Everquest. Everything post Planes of Power was rather lame but everything before that was brilliant. Especially the Iksar. Ruins of Kunark = best expansion ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d91d42c39df
deactivated-61d91d42c39df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#39 deactivated-61d91d42c39df
Member since 2002 • 2741 Posts

probably wow, the sheer variety in zones now over a game and 3 expansions.

BowlofNoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 BowlofNoodles
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

I think the selling point for a game world to me is the desire to keep exploring and see what else the devs came up with.

GTA4 - Even though I hated the game, the city was definitely a living thing.

FO3 - Appreciated the depth of it all.

Rapture - Just a crazy/fun idea overall.

Burnt_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Burnt_Brains
Member since 2011 • 187 Posts

Probably Wind Waker for me. Not because of its size or number of things you can do in it, since there are many other games that offer more of that, but because of the atmosphere and graphics and things like that. If I could live in a game world, it would be Wind Waker's. :P

Litchie

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts
Skyrim or WoW. Skyrim's world just felt alive and is a place where you would want to walk everywhere. World of Warcraft for its sheer vastness and variety between the areas.godfather_1
Skyrim doesn't feel alive at all. No-one will recognise your feets or care, and your choices won't change much.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
[QUOTE="godfather_1"]Skyrim or WoW. Skyrim's world just felt alive and is a place where you would want to walk everywhere. World of Warcraft for its sheer vastness and variety between the areas.Am_Confucius
Skyrim doesn't feel alive at all. No-one will recognise your feets or care, and your choices won't change much.

Agree, Also even with the highest settings possible the world lacks so much to make it a truly beautiful world.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Current gen-Arkham City

All time-Final Fantasy 7 (Deal with it)

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Okami, whimsical and yet at the same time if felt like it could easily have been a living, breathing world.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

In terms of overall game world and universe I find it hard to top the Mass Effect series, but on a smaller scale, talking about atmosphere and the type of "world" I think you're referring to maybe RDR. Bioshock also had an incredible atmosphere, but again I feel like you're talking more about design and exploration.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts
[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"][QUOTE="godfather_1"]Skyrim or WoW. Skyrim's world just felt alive and is a place where you would want to walk everywhere. World of Warcraft for its sheer vastness and variety between the areas.Jacanuk

Agree, Also even with the highest settings possible the world lacks so much to make it a truly beautiful world.

Wut? I never mentioned the graphics, they are fine. Also, things won' happen on their own in Skyrim. You won't visiit a village to come back one week later to see thatthe village was attacked by a dragon. Also, it's silly when the villagers attack dragons.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Ar tonelico. Not even kidding.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#49 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Termina from Majora's Mask.

Other titles include the land of Radiant Historia, final fantasy Crystal Chronicles the Crystal Bearers, Final fantasy VI, Just Cause 2.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Captial Wasteland

Arkham Asylum

Dark Souls world is pretty awesome