What are the Games that Killed an entire series for you

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

I'm talking about ""Franchise Killer" games that are not just bad but they made you abandon all hope for the future of the game series altogether.

In my recent memory Resident evil 6 and Hitman Absolution comes to my mind,both these games took something that i really loved and beat it to death with a leadpipe and gutted its corpse to use its intestines as confetti.

There's still games i feel like that they can make a comeback via kickstarter or a reboot but i really have no hope for these games i just want them to be put down for good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

It didnt kill it for me but RE6 was really close to do it

I loved Hitman Absolution btw. Its my favorite hitman game and I've played ALL of the previous ones fyi

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

After MGS4 I don't really have a desire to visit any other main MGS game. I'm still willing to give Rising a try due to platinum.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

None. I'd say there's always a chance of a new dev coming along and breathing life into a franchise I had thought was dead. I feel like that's just what CD did with Tomb Raider.

So, I give every franchise a chance at redemption. If it was good at one point, there has to have been some core of ideas that worked at one point even if the implementation falls off in later iterations...so if a developer can come along later and tap into that core, there's always a chance of getting a good game again.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

EA's American Football games (Madden '08, NCAA '08), Call Of Duty:MW3 and Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition. All had broken principles in the gaming build and abusive glitches.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Ruby and Sapphire were terrible, and then these games finished off my love for the series.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Hasn't happened yet but, Duke Nukem Forever and Duke Nukem Critical Mass almost made me put the nail on the coffin.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Lords of Shadow 2. Turns out I don't like climbing simulators.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Ultima 8 killed the Ultima series for me, then Ultima 9 took a steaming dump on top of it to taunt me further. EA's rush to release policy didn't do any favors to these bad games either.

The crap Syndicate fps EA released killed the Syndicate series, nice one EA... blinding people with bloom effects doesn't make a game look good.

C&C 4 killed the command and conquer series, well done again EA. and C&C online helped keep it down for good.

Simcity 2013 has probably killed Simcity or at least set it back for a very long time... i wonder what company is to blame here, umm it couldn't be EA, just can't be...

In my opinion EA is #1 in series killing. Mass Effect 3 was pretty bad, but it wasn't bad enough to kill it, but just wait for EA, i'm sure they can kill it soon enough. I won't go into the downward crap pile that need for speed has become... NFS Most wanted in 2005 was the last good one i played.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Watch Dogs, and it's not even out yet.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I loved Absolution. Didn't even consider purchasingg RE6 after the demo.

FragSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FragSponge
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts

Call of duty 2.....

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

@torenojohn7: Resident Evil 5 killed the series even before 6.However I'd like to know what, in your opinion, has been taken from Absolution, comparing to Blood Money?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Nothing yet for me personally.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By torenojohn7

@Vatusus
said:

I loved Hitman Absolution btw. Its my favorite hitman game and I've played ALL of the previous ones fyi

Absolution is not really a hitman game,its just a generic shooter trying to be a hitman game.

@elkoldo said:

@torenojohn7: Resident Evil 5 killed the series even before 6.However I'd like to know what, in your opinion, has been taken from Absolution, comparing to Blood Money?

Not true.. RE5 was a mediocre game which was highly disappointing but it didn't kill the hope for future games.. future games could've easily corrected all the mistakes RE5 did.

RE6 really gives the finger to both classic resident evil series and RE4 and goes on poorly imitating die hard arcade,at least RE5 stayed true to the RE4's formula and didn't straight out fu*k it up to this magnitude like RE6 did.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

For me it was Assassins Creed Revelations, played the first loved it, played and second its even better, played Brotherhood its better again, played Revelations started the game bored after 10 mins, haven't played 3 or 4 because of it.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

Well damnit...Final Fantasy 7!

Just kidding. I'm not THAT zealous about the series. FF13 was the real slap in the face.

I at least had some drive to 'finish' the others fore I gave my verdict. You should never have to quit a dramatic jrpg and go back to playing tekken.

if it wasnt for the combat and level design DmC would be right up there. They literally shit on the dude. Turned a laidback self-aware charming, witty half-demon who looked like he couldve been an extra in the Joss Whedonoverse into a brat that was trying waaay too hard.

I gotta call it Ninja Theory....ya'll should be ashamed.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Just started Splinter Cell Blacklist today and I can clearly see Ubisoft has lost all respect and understanding of the main character. I'm afraid I won't be buying any more of these games in the future.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Hitman absolution didn't kill Hitman , but it was really disappointing ... same with Fable 3 .

Resident evil died for me at RE5

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Halo 4... for the time being.

jupsto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By jupsto
Member since 2005 • 54 Posts

modern warfare 2

There was alot of legit reasons PC gamers tried to boycott this game. cod4 was actually a good PC game, the series has just got drastically worse and worse and worse.

just show how lucrative appealing to a lowest common denominator is.

age of empires online.

I never actually played it, but I didn't need to know it would break my heart.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By torenojohn7

@jupsto: I remember playing modern warfare for the first time on my PC and i actually liked it. but now call of duty series is just like madden and fifa.

@kingcrimson24 said:

Hitman absolution didn't kill Hitman , but it was really disappointing ... same with Fable 3 .

Resident evil died for me at RE5

Why do people pick on RE5?? all it did was copy RE4 and add online multi-player it just had badly designed levels and uninspired storyline&character designs,if you really like RE4 there's no reason to hate RE5.

To me it makes no sense as to why people like absolution even though it changed almost 99% percent of the gameplay from the classic series and the story is just putrid and they made 47 into a nanny.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#23 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Call of Duty Blac Ops 1. The singleplayer was great, but the gameplay was atrocious. Multiplayer was abysmal

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

None that I can think of for me. Many of the popular games that are released these days I really enjoy. Even if a game was released in a franchise that I enjoyed and I didn't like that game I don't think I'd write off the franchise, I'd just write off that game and hope that if a next one was made that it would be a better game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@torenojohn7 said:
@Vatusus said:

Absolution is not really a hitman game,its just a generic shooter trying to be a hitman game.

Funny, I barely shot anything in absolution... go figure

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#26 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@Enfamous_Mr_BHC said:

EA's American Football games (Madden '08, NCAA '08), Call Of Duty:MW3 and Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition. All had broken principles in the gaming build and abusive glitches.

I'd go with Madden football games from EA Sports (I'm lucky that I haven't play online match). Same old story, but never try to improve their games.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Assassin's Creed Revelations and 3 were a one two punch that KOed me on the series for good. I keep hearing that Black Flag is awesome, but with Desmond's story told(poorly), I just don't see the use.

Batman: Arkham Origins stuck a fork in the Bat for me. Between the fact that it came out a year after Arkham City and it's incredibly poor execution- and topped off with it's disposable and quickly forgotten multiplayer mode- I'm not even considering upgrading to the next gen for Arkham Knight.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f8bb2347d0d
deactivated-60f8bb2347d0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#28 deactivated-60f8bb2347d0d
Member since 2013 • 154 Posts

call of duty

Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Enfamous_Mr_BHC

@BigCat2K20: do not go online in an EA sports game. It seems that they do not test or simply do not care that their games principles have broken logic and insane glitches to be exploited. I am not a casual gamer but I do love virtual football gaming and I can honestly say EA's crew do not respect real football and because of their exclusive deal with the NFL can put out a lazy uninspired product year after year.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Assassins Creed 1, 2, 3, revelations and Brotherhood were pretty terrible tell I played AC4.

FF10 (Tidus almost destroyed that whole game for me), FF12 brought life back into the series tell FF13, FF13-2 and FF13-3 destroyed that franchise for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Paper mario sticker star and luigi's mansion 2

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By torenojohn7

@Vatusus said:

@torenojohn7 said:
@Vatusus said:

Really? Maze like level design with checkpoints,X-Ray vision focused gameplay,flawed disguise system,linear cinematic set pieces,bullet time kills,QTE's and on top of all that you can't even choose your weapons?

LIKE WTF was wrong with the good old map?? who needs this X-ray vision bullshit?

You can't even squint your eyes and pretend like this bloody thing is anything like a HITMAN game!

Enten3ller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Enten3ller
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@torenojohn7: everything right, but hitman isn't a generic shooter. maybe you can change difficulty, set 'purist'.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#34 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I can't say that I've ever played a game in a series that made me not want to play others. There have been games in series that I didn't like (Dead Space 3 was mediocre in every respect except for the gun crafting just because of the novelty) but none of them have been so bad that I literally did not want to play any of the other games.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@torenojohn7:

No game can kill a franchise for me.

There are certainly games in some franchises that i like a lot less like AC3, ME3´s ending, Blacklist but if they make a new i will still buy it when it comes out if it looks interesting.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Assassin's creed 1 2 and 3, brotherhood, black flag - just about every single assassins creed game known to man. I can't think of a more boring, overrated game series.

Also I'd like to cite Dead Space 2 and 3 as honorable mentions.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BigCat2K20

@Enfamous_Mr_BHC said:

@BigCat2K20: do not go online in an EA sports game. It seems that they do not test or simply do not care that their games principles have broken logic and insane glitches to be exploited. I am not a casual gamer but I do love virtual football gaming and I can honestly say EA's crew do not respect real football and because of their exclusive deal with the NFL can put out a lazy uninspired product year after year.

Man, I guess it's that bad. My little brother had 10 online matches & it was NCAA Football 12 before ditching it. The last Madden game I brought was Madden NFL 05 & that should say something. As for exclusive deal, I heard it was NFL the whole time (not EA Sports). I believe that EA's crew absolutely disrespect real football to the point of some of the football gaming community had turned away from EA's football game (Visual Concepts/2K aren't perfect either).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

Rainbow 6: Vegas was the death nail to tactical shooters imo.

Avatar image for jacquelineferre
jacquelineferre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 jacquelineferre
Member since 2013 • 116 Posts

Resident Evil 4.

It was a great game but it was the beggining of the end.

Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Enfamous_Mr_BHC

@BigCat2K20: yeah the NFL are the evil masterminds behind the door...thus showing that corporate influence and attitude doesn't belong in gaming culture. 2k wasn't perfect by any means but the lack of competition has put them at a nostalgia like pedalstool that many hardcore football gamers (including myself) beg for some sort of comeback from them or any developer. Madden has become far too casual for it's own good. In 2005 it was still a good game to get football needs from...now it's a shell of it's former self, whether it's pressure from the big wigs at the NFL or lack of passion or desire (or both) the landscape of virtual football is in a bad state, no one can refute that.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#41 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I don't believe any game would ever kill a series for me. Sure there's some bad games out there, like the last Medal of Honor, but that does NOT mean I would never play another one. I like to play games, some times they turn out bad. But I would never not play another game in the series if it turns out good just because one game in the past wasn't up to my standards. As long as they rebound, I'll keep supporting the series. I hated AC Revelations, but I still enjoyed AC3 and Black Flag. I didn't like Sonic 2006, but I loved Sonic Generations. Every game deserves a chance, even if it followed a bad game in the series.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By torenojohn7

@enten3ller said:

@torenojohn7: everything right, but hitman isn't a generic shooter. maybe you can change difficulty, set 'purist'.

Ramping up the difficulty doesn't change the awful level designs or the awful disguise system.. or the focus on the x-ray vision...

This game is just bad,i'm sorry there's no better way to put it i won't really hate on it this much if it wasn't advertised as a HITMAN game.

@uninspiredcup: Tactical shooters are far from dead.

@jacquelineferre: Dude come on... you know you wouldn't complain if RE5 was better than RE4.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BigCat2K20

@Enfamous_Mr_BHC said:

@BigCat2K20: yeah the NFL are the evil masterminds behind the door...thus showing that corporate influence and attitude doesn't belong in gaming culture. 2k wasn't perfect by any means but the lack of competition has put them at a nostalgia like pedalstool that many hardcore football gamers (including myself) beg for some sort of comeback from them or any developer. Madden has become far too casual for it's own good. In 2005 it was still a good game to get football needs from...now it's a shell of it's former self, whether it's pressure from the big wigs at the NFL or lack of passion or desire (or both) the landscape of virtual football is in a bad state, no one can refute that.

That's why I want to see competition this time in football video games in 8th generation video games era. This exclusive contract nonsense makes gaming company extremely lazy & EA Sports is the prime example. Madden NFL 05 was the last game that was remotely good. If I do play Splinter Cell Blacklist & it's really bad, I can declare the series gone. Other than that, I can't think of any other games that kill the series for me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@torenojohn7 said:

@Vatusus said:

@torenojohn7 said:
@Vatusus said:

Really? Maze like level design with checkpoints,X-Ray vision focused gameplay,flawed disguise system,linear cinematic set pieces,bullet time kills,QTE's and on top of all that you can't even choose your weapons?

LIKE WTF was wrong with the good old map?? who needs this X-ray vision bullshit?

You can't even squint your eyes and pretend like this bloody thing is anything like a HITMAN game!

What? You and I did not play the same game certainly... Maze level design? Most maps where open with varied aproach options. Some where more linear sure, for the sake of cinematic feeling but I remember free roaming several maps. You could turn off the x-ray vision or dont even use it at all. It was optional. Flawed disguise system? explain. It wasnt differerent then the other hitman games that I was aware of. Again, bullet time kills where optional. I played Absolution stealthly so I didnt had to fire a gun, unless it was demanding me, in some weaker levels that thankfully were few.

I dont get your grip with Absolution when the most shit you complaint about was optional. We definitely didnt played the same game certainly

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#45 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

The only franchise I consider irredeemable is Call of Duty post 4. Other than that, there is always a chance for the next good game in the series.

Necroplazma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Necroplazma
Member since 2014 • 33 Posts

Halo 3. I think Halo 1 is my favorite game, but since 3 I stopped caring about the games or the storyline.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Gear 3, not the game itself but the post-launch support and the announcement of Judgement is something I take issue with.

woomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#48 woomar
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

Not killed the series , but i couldn't playing it more than 30min and it was Far Cry 2 (i didn't finish the game maybe it was very good , but to me it had a very slow start) . Will try Far Cry 3 in a few months though .

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#49 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Crysis 3

Just....................... Crysis 3.........................

Y U DO DIS CRYTEK ?

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

RE 5. And I do not understand why you ask opinions then tell people they are wrong. That game killed that franchise for me. My opinions are different than yours and it did not for you, good for you.

Also Halo 2 and Final Fantasy 10.