Top ten must have Sega Dreamcast games

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Only by kiddos who want more slowdown since it makes the game easier.pills4louis

Being that the Saturn version of DoDonPachi has waay more slowdown, this statement makes little sense.

Sequel does not always mean better

for instance I prefer Marvel vs Street Fighter over Mvs2 , just because I like the controls, which feel more precise to me, also its a bit less frantic, but not sober enough to be called "SF with Marvel characters"

assuming a sequel is better than the original is not smart, you know thatDarkman2007

I assume jack sh#t, I've played all of these games, Darkstalker's Chronicle on DC kicks the living hell out of Vampire Saviour, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 completely destroys Marvel Vs Street Fighter, KOF 95/96/97 are no way better than KOF Dream Match, I definitely prefer Garou: Mark of the wolves, to Real Bout Special, Saturn has a slightly better port of SFAIII, Dreamcast has slightly worse SFAIII, and the excellent Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike to make up for it. Saturn has Samurai Shodown 4, Dreamcast has Last Blade 2.

Saturn has Astra Superstars, Groove on Fight, and Asuka 120% as exclusives over DC, but DC has the equally (if not better) Guilty Gear X, Capcom Vs SNK series, and the fantastic Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Essentially, take most of the best of the Saturn's 2D fighting library, improve and polish the gameplay mechanics, then improve the graphics, and you have the Dreamcast 2D fighting library.

Nights, Panzer and GH? thats it? come on, I think you're shortchanging the console just a bit.Darkman2007

So list more influential Saturn originals if you like

Personally I always thought Exhumed deserved more praise, but the game certainly wasn't particularly influential as I can't think of any later FPS games which were derivitive of it.

There was Shining Force III, and I guess a case could be made for Grandia, I was playing Breath of Fire 4 the other day and it certainly had a Grandia vibe to the graphics style so the game was influential to some degree.

There were some (disappointing) sequels to Mega Drive originals (such as Story of Thor 2) which did little to evolve their respective series'

Nothing particularly noteworthy to be honest, generally PS1 and N64 looked to the future, whilst Saturn was generally stuck in the past or reliant on Arcade/PC/PS1 ports.

Croc - it looks saturated but it kinda suits the game, I mean , its a colourful cartoony game, having blander colours wouldn't benefit it (unlike something like RE where the blander colours work well)

and both versions controlled pretty badly.Darkman2007

They both control badly, but PS1 + Dual Shock is definitely the way to go with that game (and this coming from someone who hates the dual shock controller) I have both versions of the game, and I wanted the Saturn version to be better, being that its one of the only good 3D platform games on the system, but it isn't.

Pandemonium - moth eaten? what the heck is that? Im sorry , but Ive played both , they are basically the same apart from the Saturn having stronger colours.Darkman2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWrCgT6A04

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]Only by kiddos who want more slowdown since it makes the game easier.Domino_slayer

Being that the Saturn version of DoDonPachi has waay more slowdown, this statement makes little sense.

Actually, within the knowledge of those pretentious shmup gurus on the system11 forums (who go apesh** over the tiniest inconsistencies of framerates for ports vs. arcade versions) the PS1 version is only seen as the "superior version" (by some) due to the slowdown making it more arcade-like. The Saturn version actually has noticeably less slowdown than in the arcades, making it a tad more difficult at times but not unmanageably so.

Also, MVC1 > MVC2, IMO. Smaller roster? Yes. Infinitely less broken? Yes. And on a personal note, I guess I prefer 2-character over 3-character tagging.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#103 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

MvsC2 is certainly not better than MvsSF , at least in my opinion, , the game just has a bit too much going on as far as Im concerned, MvsSF is a bit less frantic, but not slow enough to be called "SF with Marvel characters" (you have games like Children of the Atom for that)

I have Garou and honestly, Im not a big fan , it looks great, but I don't like it that much (well , maybe not quite , its ok , Im just not a big fan)

then again , Im not a huge fan of RBFFS so there you go , maybe its just that series in general (even if Garou and RBFFS are different in a number of ways)

I have to admit I didn't play Last Blade 2 , I did play the first game, and found it to be playing 2nd fiddle to Samurai Shodown.

technically you could argue Tomb Raider was an influential Saturn game since it did come out on the Saturn first (though both versions came out within literally a month of each other)

I also feel Deep Fear should be praised for its sound effects , while it wasn't really an original game (an RE clone) the sound effects that create the atmosphere imo are quite effective, and I feel are an advancement over the sometimes cheesy music of Resident Evil.

though there is something that confuses me here , why does a game have to be influential to be good? that makes no sense.

also when did I say the Saturn had more influential games on it? I never said that, in fact I said in a previous post the PS1 had more of them.

heck , Ill even admit that indeed the Saturn is more reliant of more traditional genres (though I think the lack of 3D platformers is more because the system was dead by 1998-99 , when these kinds of games started to be more popular outside the N64)

also , why does it matter why a game is first in the arcade? if its on the Saturn as well , and its a good game, who cares?

again , I played both Croc and Pandemonium on both systems.

again , Croc controls badly on both, yes the PS1 version controls a little better , but I found the game to be just as frustrating as far as the controls.

tbh Im not a fan of Croc, I feel its mediocre on both systems, as the controls are iffy (for this type of game) and the camera had various issues.

as for Pandemonium , the only difference I see is that the Saturn is a bit darker while having stronger colours.

now I don't really mind it, but maybe Im just odd :P

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#104 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

deep fear also had fantastic fmv's

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 pills4louis

also , why does it matter why a game is first in the arcade? if its on the Saturn as well , and its a good game, who cares?

Darkman2007

This. A thousand times, this. I mean, if the game did well enough in arcades to warrant a console port, does that not say something about the game's quality? Arcade games, especially shmups and fighting games, are good because they have to be. If someone's going to keep dropping 100 yen into a machine, it has to be for a damn addictive game. Console games (especially the PS1's "big ones") get their names out there with tons of clever advertising. Arcade games, on the other hand, get their names out there mostly by word-of-mouth. Their shorter length is made up for by polished gameplay, with well-thought-out scoring systems for shmups and balancing for fighting games. (Even though the latter usually gets more than one iteration, due to balance fixes, roster expansion, and new moves.) Want to play some of the Saturn's import-only arcade ports in their native setting? Enjoy doing your research to find the closest arcade which carries them, as well as missing out on exclusive (and in some cases, definitive) modes.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]also , why does it matter why a game is first in the arcade? if its on the Saturn as well , and its a good game, who cares?

pills4louis

This. A thousand times, this. I mean, if the game did well enough in arcades to warrant a console port, does that not say something about the game's quality? Arcade games, especially shmups and fighting games, are good because they have to be. If someone's going to keep dropping 100 yen into a machine, it has to be for a damn addictive game. Console games (especially the PS1's "big ones") get their names out there with tons of clever advertising. Arcade games, on the other hand, get their names out there mostly by word-of-mouth. Their shorter length is made up for by polished gameplay, with well-thought-out scoring systems for shmups and balancing for fighting games. (Even though the latter usually gets more than one iteration, due to balance fixes, roster expansion, and new moves.) Want to play some of the Saturn's import-only arcade ports in their native setting? Enjoy doing your research to find the closest arcade which carries them, as well as missing out on exclusive (and in some cases, definitive) modes.

in some ways the PS1 owes some of its early sucess to arcade games. Im sure alot of people played Ridge Racer and Tekken (which I find boring, but whatever) and went ahead and bought a PS1 because of it. Im sure the fact Killer Instinct was going to be on N64 motivated some people to get an N64. there is no doubt Virtua Fighter 2 or Sega Rally helped sell Saturns. back then , arcade ports were still a big deal , and really only started died out around the turn of the century. now Im sure someone will come up with the argument "you can play those arcade games on an emulator" , but thats not really the point. , because in that case, why buy any console?
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 pills4louis

in some ways the PS1 owes some of its early sucess to arcade games. Im sure alot of people played Ridge Racer and Tekken (which I find boring, but whatever) and went ahead and bought a PS1 because of it. Im sure the fact Killer Instinct was going to be on N64 motivated some people to get an N64. there is no doubt Virtua Fighter 2 or Sega Rally helped sell Saturns.Darkman2007
Truth, man. Hell, Darkstalkers 3 and Tekken 2 were the reasons I originally bought my PS1. Sure, there were some great exclusive games made for the console. Vagrant Story, Silent Hill, Alundra... but what did I keep going back to? Fighting games with bros, and score-attacks in shmups when said bros weren't in the immediate vicinity. Yeah, I've replayed some non-arcadesy stuff. But I generally need a break between play-throughs of games with a lengthy campaign, while I can always put anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours straight into RayStorm or Mr. Driller, depending on whether I'm in the mood for a quick fix or a good chunk of time to form scoring strategies. I realize I'm not everyone, and I can't speak for everyone, but there's a reason compilations like Taito Legends or the Capcom collections have sold decently. Addictive gameplay will always be addictive, and IMO, nobody knows "addictive" like arcade devs.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] in some ways the PS1 owes some of its early sucess to arcade games. Im sure alot of people played Ridge Racer and Tekken (which I find boring, but whatever) and went ahead and bought a PS1 because of it. Im sure the fact Killer Instinct was going to be on N64 motivated some people to get an N64. there is no doubt Virtua Fighter 2 or Sega Rally helped sell Saturns.pills4louis

Truth, man. Hell, Darkstalkers 3 and Tekken 2 were the reasons I originally bought my PS1. Sure, there were some great exclusive games made for the console. Vagrant Story, Silent Hill, Alundra... but what did I keep going back to? Fighting games with bros, and score-attacks in shmups when said bros weren't in the immediate vicinity. Yeah, I've replayed some non-arcadesy stuff. But I generally need a break between play-throughs of games with a lengthy campaign, while I can always put anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours straight into RayStorm or Mr. Driller, depending on whether I'm in the mood for a quick fix or a good chunk of time to form scoring strategies. I realize I'm not everyone, and I can't speak for everyone, but there's a reason compilations like Taito Legends or the Capcom collections have sold decently. Addictive gameplay will always be addictive, and IMO, nobody knows "addictive" like arcade devs.

of course exclusive games also do a huge bit of favour for a console, but then its not as though the Saturn lacked those. and Im not sure I understand how does being influential means a game is good or makes a system better than another . FF7 was influential and there are people who dislike it or at least not the best thing since sliced bread (I think its awesome ) Tekken was influential but I thought the Tekken 1 and 2 were boring. Alone in the Dark was influential in alot of ways, but I find it slow and rather tedious. Toshinden at the time was a huge hit and was considerd to be influential and that game is mediocre at best. the point is that not every game thats influential is goiing to be the same for everybody, A game one person finds influential/good might be insignificant/boring to another. for instance , while Wii sports were very innovative and influential , I could not care less
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 silent_bomber

Actually, within the knowledge of those pretentious shmup gurus on the system11 forums (who go apesh** over the tiniest inconsistencies of framerates for ports vs. arcade versions) the PS1 version is only seen as the "superior version" (by some) due to the slowdown making it more arcade-like.pills4louis

No, I just checked the shmups.system11 forum and they don't actually say this, they say the PS1 has much less slowdown, and much better graphics, they also say that the PS1 has a feature in the options called "Wait" which optionally emulates the arcade game's slowdown.

The biggest (and only) issue for me in regards to the PS1 version, is that on co-op both players have to choose the same ship, which personally I feel is a fairly big issue. Its a real shame the Saturn port of the game is fairly shoddy, as the hardware in general has proven many times to be able to handle a virtually perfect port of the game, but at least it still plays very well.

technically you could argue Tomb Raider was an influential Saturn game since it did come out on the Saturn first (though both versions came out within literally a month of each other)Darkman2007

In Europe there was a month gap, everywhere else they came out at the same time.

Tomb Raider is one that you could probably bring up, though the more I see about the game the more I think it was probably developed jointly with the PS1 version as a multiplatform game. Either way it came out on Saturn 1st though so yeah.

though there is something that confuses me here , why does a game have to be influential to be good? that makes no sense.

also when did I say the Saturn had more influential games on it? I never said that, in fact I said in a previous post the PS1 had more of them.Darkman2007

We were talking about "birthday" style retrospective articles, and all I'm saying is that from the perspective of someone trying to write such an article on Saturn, they would be thin on the ground on influential titles to talk about.

You can go on about how much you love the system until you're blue in the face, at the end of the day it had very little impact, or influence on the games industry, so I don't see reason for general gaming sites to make a big "hoo ha" about its birthday.

as for Pandemonium , the only difference I see is that the Saturn is a bit darker while having stronger colours.

now I don't really mind it, but maybe Im just odd :PDarkman2007

I would say that the textures, lighting and shading are all worse on the Saturn version, I'd also say the PS1 looks marginally smoother around the edges as well.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]Actually, within the knowledge of those pretentious shmup gurus on the system11 forums (who go apesh** over the tiniest inconsistencies of framerates for ports vs. arcade versions) the PS1 version is only seen as the "superior version" (by some) due to the slowdown making it more arcade-like.Domino_slayer

No, I just checked the shmups.system11 forum and they don't actually say this, they say the PS1 has much less slowdown, and much better graphics, they also say that the PS1 has a feature in the options called "Wait" which optionally emulates the arcade game's slowdown.

The biggest (and only) issue for me in regards to the PS1 version, is that on co-op both players have to choose the same ship, which personally I feel is a fairly big issue. Its a real shame the Saturn port of the game is fairly shoddy, as the hardware in general has proven many times to be able to handle a virtually perfect port of the game, but at least it still plays very well.

technically you could argue Tomb Raider was an influential Saturn game since it did come out on the Saturn first (though both versions came out within literally a month of each other)Darkman2007

In Europe there was a month gap, everywhere else they came out at the same time.

Tomb Raider is one that you could probably bring up, though the more I see about the game the more I think it was probably developed jointly with the PS1 version as a multiplatform game. Either way it came out on Saturn 1st though so yeah.

also when did I say the Saturn had more influential games on it? I never said that, in fact I said in a previous post the PS1 had more of them.Darkman2007

We were talking about "birthday" style retrospective articles, and all I'm saying is that from the perspective of someone trying to write such an article on Saturn, they would be thin on the ground on influential titles to talk about.

You can go on about how much you love the system until you're blue in the face, at the end of the day it had very little impact, or influence on the games industry, so I don't see reason for general gaming sites to make a big "hoo ha" about its birthday.

now I don't really mind it, but maybe Im just odd :PDarkman2007

I would say that the textures, lighting and shading are all worse on the Saturn version, I'd also say the PS1 looks marginally smoother around the edges as well.

when did I say the Saturn had alot of impact??? I didn't say that, a system doesnt need to have a big impact to be good (the Gamecube didnt exactly set the world on fire , while still being very good) but then , what kind of impact the did the DC have? it had the best visuals on release, (but then so did the 3DO) , and it had built in online, thats really it as far as I see it , unless you can point me to something else. in terms of software the only really influential games I can think of are the Shenmue games, Jet Set Radio (for popularizing cell shading) , Ferrari F355. of course there are plenty of great games on the DC, but I can't think of the system as being a huge industry changer (again, unless you could point me to something) also then another issue comes up , if youre writing about a certain console, are you going to talk about games that are good, or just games that were influential? if youre talking about games that changed the games industry , then yeah , the Saturn would have a short article , but if youre talking about games that were good, then there is more than enough to write.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

when did I say the Saturn had alot of impact??? I didn't say that, a system doesnt need to have a big impact to be good (the Gamecube didnt exactly set the world on fire , while still being very good) but then , what kind of impact the did the DC have? it had the best visuals on release, (but then so did the 3DO) , and it had built in online, thats really it as far as I see it , unless you can point me to something else. in terms of software the only really influential games I can think of are the Shenmue games, Jet Set Radio (for popularizing cell shading) , Ferrari F355. of course there are plenty of great games on the DC, but I can't think of the system as being a huge industry changer (again, unless you could point me to something) also then another issue comes up , if youre writing about a certain console, are you going to talk about games that are good, or just games that were influential? if youre talking about games that changed the games industry , then yeah , the Saturn would have a short article , but if youre talking about games that were good, then there is more than enough to write.Darkman2007

Not that it counts, but I think the visuals were the first to really "wow" people. And, for better or for worse, the Dreamcast really brought system marketing to a new level. A lot was done in the way the system was presented. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it was like the system was set up in it's own world. The color scheme, the design, the characters and such--well they were all molded together into a form of family. It is part of the reason the launch went so well. The magazine specifically designed for the system was awesome, and came with a demo disc.

Yes, some of that has been done, but Sega really took it to the next level.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] when did I say the Saturn had alot of impact??? I didn't say that, a system doesnt need to have a big impact to be good (the Gamecube didnt exactly set the world on fire , while still being very good) but then , what kind of impact the did the DC have? it had the best visuals on release, (but then so did the 3DO) , and it had built in online, thats really it as far as I see it , unless you can point me to something else. in terms of software the only really influential games I can think of are the Shenmue games, Jet Set Radio (for popularizing cell shading) , Ferrari F355. of course there are plenty of great games on the DC, but I can't think of the system as being a huge industry changer (again, unless you could point me to something) also then another issue comes up , if youre writing about a certain console, are you going to talk about games that are good, or just games that were influential? if youre talking about games that changed the games industry , then yeah , the Saturn would have a short article , but if youre talking about games that were good, then there is more than enough to write.Heirren

Not that it counts, but I think the visuals were the first to really "wow" people. And, for better or for worse, the Dreamcast really brought system marketing to a new level. A lot was done in the way the system was presented. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it was like the system was set up in it's own world. The color scheme, the design, the characters and such--well they were all molded together into a form of family. It is part of the reason the launch went so well. The magazine specifically designed for the system was awesome, and came with a demo disc.

again , if youre going to list better visuals than current systems on the market, than the 3DO gets that innovation . the only difference is that the DC was affordable to most people at launch , the 3DO was not. from my point of view, if one is going to talk about the system , he should talk about games that are good, regardless of they changed the world and made it turn upside down or not. think of it this way, FF7 is considerd very influential , and in that light, FF8 follows it in many ways, does that mean one should not count FF8 because it wasn't as influential or innovative? that makes no sense if the game is good. MGS is basically an evolution of MG2:SS , they even share alot of plot points, yet MG2 doesnt get credit . do games which innovate or break new ground get extra points? absolutly , but its not as simple as that. I will give the Dreamcast credit, it was a very well designed system from a hardware standpoint, and it had great games,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] when did I say the Saturn had alot of impact??? I didn't say that, a system doesnt need to have a big impact to be good (the Gamecube didnt exactly set the world on fire , while still being very good) but then , what kind of impact the did the DC have? it had the best visuals on release, (but then so did the 3DO) , and it had built in online, thats really it as far as I see it , unless you can point me to something else. in terms of software the only really influential games I can think of are the Shenmue games, Jet Set Radio (for popularizing cell shading) , Ferrari F355. of course there are plenty of great games on the DC, but I can't think of the system as being a huge industry changer (again, unless you could point me to something) also then another issue comes up , if youre writing about a certain console, are you going to talk about games that are good, or just games that were influential? if youre talking about games that changed the games industry , then yeah , the Saturn would have a short article , but if youre talking about games that were good, then there is more than enough to write.Darkman2007

again , if youre going to list better visuals than current systems on the market, than the 3DO gets that innovation . the only difference is that the DC was affordable to most people at launch , the 3DO was not. from my point of view, if one is going to talk about the system , he should talk about games that are good, regardless of they changed the world and made it turn upside down or not. think of it this way, FF7 is considerd very influential , and in that light, FF8 follows it in many ways, does that mean one should not count FF8 because it wasn't as influential or innovative? that makes no sense if the game is good. MGS is basically an evolution of MG2:SS , they even share alot of plot points, yet MG2 doesnt get credit . do games which innovate or break new ground get extra points? absolutly , but its not as simple as that. I will give the Dreamcast credit, it was a very well designed system from a hardware standpoint, and it had great games,

Your post confused me, sorry:). I'm unsure why you brought up 3D0. One, it WAS expensive, like you said, but when I say "wow" it is more of a luck-of-the-draw thing. The DC just happened to be the system that first launched when 3D graphics were really maturing.

MG2:SS? I'm assuming that you are referring to the older metal gear games. Metal Gear Solid gained a lot of credit for its outstanding presentation and cinematics. The story was good, but the plot was not a big reason. It was the way it was told which drew players into this plot that was new and inventive.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Your post confused me, sorry:). I'm unsure why you brought up 3D0. One, it WAS expensive, like you said, but when I say "wow" it is more of a luck-of-the-draw thing. The DC just happened to be the system that first launched when 3D graphics were really maturing.

MG2:SS? I'm assuming that you are referring to the older metal gear games. Metal Gear Solid gained a lot of credit for its outstanding presentation and cinematics. The story was good, but the plot was not a big reason. It was the way it was told which drew players into this plot that was new and inventive.

Im not saying MGS wasn't influential , but have you played MG2:SS ? it has alot of the same plot points as MGS MG2 has Roy Campbell , Master Miller as characters MG2 has a mystery person calling you (like the Ninja in MGS) MG2 has a ninja character as one of the bosses MG2 has a female character which you meet in a toilet MG2 has a part of the game where you run up a tower. MG2 has a fist fight with the mysterious caller (a la MGS) now Im not criticising MGS , its one of my favourite games, but you see what I meant? but do you see my point about influential vs good? I mean , when you look at your game collection , is every one of them super innovative and industry changing? highly doubtful, most likely its only a small part of it. yet you still like those games alot, because they are good games.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Darkman2007

and I brought up the 3DO because the DC wasnt the first system with visuals that crush anything on the market.

in fact, one could go even earlier and put the T16 as a candidate for that, since when it came out, it was a big step up from the NES and SMS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] again , if youre going to list better visuals than current systems on the market, than the 3DO gets that innovation . the only difference is that the DC was affordable to most people at launch , the 3DO was not. from my point of view, if one is going to talk about the system , he should talk about games that are good, regardless of they changed the world and made it turn upside down or not. think of it this way, FF7 is considerd very influential , and in that light, FF8 follows it in many ways, does that mean one should not count FF8 because it wasn't as influential or innovative? that makes no sense if the game is good. MGS is basically an evolution of MG2:SS , they even share alot of plot points, yet MG2 doesnt get credit . do games which innovate or break new ground get extra points? absolutly , but its not as simple as that. I will give the Dreamcast credit, it was a very well designed system from a hardware standpoint, and it had great games, Darkman2007

Im not saying MGS wasn't influential , but have you played MG2:SS ? it has alot of the same plot points as MGS MG2 has Roy Campbell , Master Miller as characters MG2 has a mystery person calling you (like the Ninja in MGS) MG2 has a ninja character as one of the bosses MG2 has a female character which you meet in a toilet MG2 has a part of the game where you run up a tower. MG2 has a fist fight with the mysterious caller (a la MGS) now Im not criticising MGS , its one of my favourite games, but you see what I meant? but do you see my point about influential vs good? I mean , when you look at your game collection , is every one of them super innovative and industry changing? highly doubtful, most likely its only a small part of it. yet you still like those games alot, because they are good games.

I feel as though you did not read my post. The plot wasn't really what got MGS noticed/made it influential. And like I said, the Dreamcast--visually--was more of a time and place thing. It just happened to be the first system to launch with more matured 3D graphics.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Darkman2007

Heirren

I feel as though you did not read my post. The plot wasn't really what got MGS noticed/made it influential. And like I said, the Dreamcast--visually--was more of a time and place thing. It just happened to be the first system to launch with more matured 3D graphics.

I did read it, but I would argue the plot was important, stealth wasn't an entirely new thing, what MGS did do was take it into a full 3D enviroment (the Virtua Fighter of stealth games essentially) like I said about the DC, it was a very well designed system , Sega learnt their lesson on how to design a home system (the Saturn was basically a pile of processors on a board, much like an arcade machine, making it expensive and complex). however I was just as impressed by the visual jump from something like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat to Virtua Fighter and Toshinden , though I have to admit when I first saw polygon graphics I thought they looked odd (then again I was about 6 so there you go). but do you see my point regarding influential vs good?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Im not saying MGS wasn't influential , but have you played MG2:SS ? it has alot of the same plot points as MGS MG2 has Roy Campbell , Master Miller as characters MG2 has a mystery person calling you (like the Ninja in MGS) MG2 has a ninja character as one of the bosses MG2 has a female character which you meet in a toilet MG2 has a part of the game where you run up a tower. MG2 has a fist fight with the mysterious caller (a la MGS) now Im not criticising MGS , its one of my favourite games, but you see what I meant? but do you see my point about influential vs good? I mean , when you look at your game collection , is every one of them super innovative and industry changing? highly doubtful, most likely its only a small part of it. yet you still like those games alot, because they are good games.Darkman2007

I did read it, but I would argue the plot was important, stealth wasn't an entirely new thing, what MGS did do was take it into a full 3D enviroment (the Virtua Fighter of stealth games essentially) like I said about the DC, it was a very well designed system , Sega learnt their lesson on how to design a home system (the Saturn was basically a pile of processors on a board, much like an arcade machine, making it expensive and complex). however I was just as impressed by the visual jump from something like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat to Virtua Fighter and Toshinden , though I have to admit when I first saw polygon graphics I thought they looked odd (then again I was about 6 so there you go). but do you see my point regarding influential vs good?

I do, but in this case I still think what I said stands. If you take films, for example, just about every story has been told, but it is the way they are presented which gets them recognized. This is the case with Metal Gear Solid, and it seems quite obvious to me as well.

The Dreamcast did just about everything right that it could. If it wasn't for the hype coming off the psx, the system would have likely succeeded.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Darkman2007

Heirren

I do, but in this case I still think what I said stands. If you take films, for example, just about every story has been told, but it is the way they are presented which gets them recognized. This is the case with Metal Gear Solid, and it seems quite obvious to me as well.

The Dreamcast did just about everything right that it could. If it wasn't for the hype coming off the psx, the system would have likely succeeded.

the "if the PS1 had worse marketing/didnt exist" argument could be said about the N64 and Saturn though , both consoles would have sold better if the PS1 had worse marketing/didnt exist. and as I said a game which is influential does get extra credit for that (the PS is my favourite system for a reason despite me having 1/2 the games I do for the Saturn) but at the same time, if one was to talk about a system , a game should be mentioned if its good. in so far as the Saturn looks backwards a bit, I would agree, but its full of plenty of good games that deserved to be played (just like the Dreamcast) actually the weakest area of the Saturn's library is 3D platformers, which I feel is due to the system being dead by mid 1998 (which was around the time 3D platformers started being popular outside the N64)
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 pills4louis

Not that it counts, but I think the visuals were the first to really "wow" people.

Heirren

For you, maybe. The first time a video game wow'd me with visuals was Star Fox on the SNES, and then, years later, Donkey Kong Country.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Not that it counts, but I think the visuals were the first to really "wow" people.

pills4louis

For you, maybe. The first time a video game wow'd me with visuals was Star Fox on the SNES, and then, years later, Donkey Kong Country.

Allow me to rephrase, as I agree with you. The DC was the "next step" in wowing, of sorts. It really showed that next level of fidelity earlier than anything else, just like the games you mentioned.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Not that it counts, but I think the visuals were the first to really "wow" people.

Heirren

Allow me to rephrase, as I agree with you. The DC was the "next step" in wowing, of sorts. It really showed that next level of fidelity earlier than anything else, just like the games you mentioned.

the DC gets credit for being as good as anything in the arcades , no actually better , when it came out. beforehand, every console was usually worse than what was in the arcades (can't remember if the model 2 came out before the 3DO , but it was way above it) that much I agree
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 pills4louis

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

Heirren

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, in terms of standard visuals and not special stuff like the Super FX chip or pre-rendered sprites, DC was a friggin' shocker. Also, how could I forget Mode-7? The effects in Super Metroid, R-Type III, and especially Yoshi's Island were nothing short of amazing.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#124 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Heirren

Well, it was the first 6th generation console, i bet every freakin' gamer on the planet was wowed by it's visuals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Lucianu

Well, it was the first 6th generation console, i bet every freakin' gamer on the planet was wowed by it's visuals.

I'm unsure what you mean by that, but if you read prior posts I stated that it surely was a time/place thing.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

I'm unsure what you mean by that, but if you read prior posts I stated that it surely was a time/place thing.

like I said, one could consider it special because when it came out, it was better than what was in the arcades (in fact the DC based Naomi board became the de facto new high end for arcades) , and could pretty much do visuals on par with or better than the Voodoo 2 card.

prior to that, all consoles were either worse compared to the arcades, or worse than what was on the home computers of the time, and usually both. that was indeed impressive

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#127 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Heirren

It was the first 6th generation system, a gigantic leap from the N64/PS1/Saturn graphical capabilities. It's no wonder people 'wow'ed' at it, because the visual leap was incredible.

I'm thinking about Soul Calibur which was released in 1999, i bet people's jaw just dropped. Still is a beautiful game to this day.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Lucianu

It was the first 6th generation system, a gigantic leap from the N64/PS1/Saturn graphical capabilities. It's no wonder people 'wow'ed' at it, because the visual leap was incredible.

I'm thinking about Soul Calibur which was released in 1999, i bet people's jaw just dropped. Still is a beautiful game to this day.

Soul Calibur was impressive because it looked better than the arcade. however, its not really that impressive when you find out the arcade was a system 12 board (basically a PS1 with twice the memory and a faster CPU) ie, had the game been ported to the DC as it was, it would have been disappointing, because it would have looked like a PS1 game on too much sugar. if you ask me though , the best looking DC fighter is DOA2 , it doesnt have the impact Soul Calibur did , but it looks better for it.
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 silent_bomber

When did I say the Saturn had alot of impact??? I didn't say that, a system doesnt need to have a big impact to be goodDarkman2007

You've been bemoaning the fact that the Saturn "doesn't get enough credit" and that it doesn't receive birthday articles, sorry, but Saturn didn't do enough to earn any of those things because it had little impact on the industry, its not important enough.

Saturn was a nice system, with a lot of playable games, but being that its not particularly popular with mainstream gamers, contemporary writers need a little more incentive to bring it up than "it was entertaining, and had a lot of good ports"

If it was still popular with mainstream gamers then writers would need little reason to justify writing an article about fun games in the system's library, but it doesn't really succeed in either fashion, its not popular, and its not historically important either.

what kind of impact the did the DC have? it had the best visuals on release, and it had built in online, thats really it as far as I see itDarkman2007

Those two are already pretty notable alone.

Dreamcast heralded the start of the "6th gen", which was, to me the first time 3D graphics actually started to look really good with no huge graphical issues (clean texture, no warping, few jaggies etc).

Dreamcast was the main instigator of the move towards online console gaming, it was the 1st system which really pushed towards it, staked its success on it even. Earlier consoles (Famicom, SNES, Saturn) just had half assed online components, whilst Dreamcast was bundled with a modem, its online gaming feature was heavily advertised, games (such as Phantasy Star Online) were specifically developed to push the feature, and had a lot of work put into them to simplify and increase ease of interaction with people (Phantasy Star had the button assigned, draw-your-own emoticons for instance)

Dreamcast also pushed the whole "connectivity" idea, by giving you a screen built into the controller to give you access to extra info not available to other players. Aside from some sports games and a few things here and there the idea didn't go anywhere with Dreamcast, but Nintendo were clearly taken with it as you can see with Gamecube's GBA connectivity, as well as the upcoming Wii U

Dreamcast also solved the problem of game developers treating Europe as a 3rd world country with their crappy, slow, un-optimised games by adding a hardware PAL60 feature which allowed all developers to easily get their games running at the proper speed. This feature was also taken by Nintendo and added to their Gamecube console.

unless you can point me to something else. in terms of software the only really influential games I can think of are the Shenmue games, Jet Set Radio (for popularizing cell shading), Ferrari F355.Darkman2007

F355 Challenge is an arcade game.

On top of Shenmue, and Jet Set Radio I would add at least -

Phantasy Star Online - this was amazing to play at the time, and was the first console game to really push online interaction.

Sonic Adventure 2 - The spherical worlds from "Mad Space" were re-used heavily by Nintendo in Mario Galaxy.

Rez - I'd say the style has been at least marginally influential on other games, it was shown at the Smithsonian American Art Museum's 2012 exhibition "The Art of Video Games", and it still gets a lot of accolade's even now.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]When did I say the Saturn had alot of impact??? I didn't say that, a system doesnt need to have a big impact to be goodDomino_slayer

You've been bemoaning the fact that the Saturn "doesn't get enough credit" and that it doesn't receive birthday articles, sorry, but Saturn didn't do enough to earn any of those things because it had little impact on the industry, its not important enough.

Saturn was a nice system, with a lot of playable games, but being that its not particularly popular with mainstream gamers, contemporary writers need a little more incentive to bring it up than "it was entertaining, and had a lot of good ports"

If it was still popular with mainstream gamers then writers would need little reason to justify writing an article about fun games in the system's library, but it doesn't really succeed in either fashion, its not popular, and its not historically important either.

what kind of impact the did the DC have? it had the best visuals on release, and it had built in online, thats really it as far as I see itDarkman2007

Those two are already pretty notable alone.

Dreamcast heralded the start of the "6th gen", which was, to me the first time 3D graphics actually started to look really good with no huge graphical issues (clean texture, no warping, few jaggies etc).

Dreamcast was the main instigator of the move towards online console gaming, it was the 1st system which really pushed towards it, staked its success on it even. Earlier consoles (Famicom, SNES, Saturn) just had half assed online components, whilst Dreamcast was bundled with a modem, its online gaming feature was heavily advertised, games (such as Phantasy Star Online) were specifically developed to push the feature, and had a lot of work put into them to simplify and increase ease of interaction with people (Phantasy Star had the button assigned, draw-your-own emoticons for instance)

Dreamcast also pushed the whole "connectivity" idea, by giving you a screen built into the controller to give you access to extra info not available to other players. Aside from some sports games and a few things here and there the idea didn't go anywhere with Dreamcast, but Nintendo were clearly taken with it as you can see with Gamecube's GBA connectivity, as well as the upcoming Wii U

Dreamcast also solved the problem of game developers treating Europe as a 3rd world country with their crappy, slow, un-optimised games by adding a hardware PAL60 feature which allowed all developers to easily get their games running at the proper speed. This feature was also taken by Nintendo and added to their Gamecube console.

unless you can point me to something else. in terms of software the only really influential games I can think of are the Shenmue games, Jet Set Radio (for popularizing cell shading), Ferrari F355.Darkman2007

F355 Challenge is an arcade game.

On top of Shenmue, and Jet Set Radio I would add at least -

Phantasy Star Online - this was amazing to play at the time, and was the first console game to really push online interaction.

Sonic Adventure 2 - The spherical worlds from "Mad Space" were re-used heavily by Nintendo in Mario Galaxy.

Rez - I'd say the style has been at least marginally influential on other games, it was shown at the Smithsonian American Art Museum's 2012 exhibition "The Art of Video Games", and it still gets a lot of accolade's even now.

but again , we are going back to the idea of influential vs good. if one is only looking to write about the influential games on the Saturn , the article would be of a modest length at best, if it was about good games , it would be different.

again , one could argue the reason why the Saturn is not popular with mainstream gamers is a lack of knowledge of the Saturn's library (ask most people what are good games on the Saturn , and the list usually consists of just Virtua Fighter 2 and Sega Rally, and I think you can agree, the list is alot longer than that)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Darkman2007

again , does a game get credit for being influential? absolutly , but then I never asked for the Saturn to be put on a pedestal and declared as the best thing since sliced bread.

recognition does not mean declaring it the best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

again , does a game get credit for being influential? absolutly , but then I never asked for the Saturn to be put on a pedestal and declared as the best thing since sliced bread.

Darkman2007

I don't know where this "influential vs good" thing came up. Nobody is doubting the saturns library, but it just didn't have the same impact of the dreamcast. In fact, if the saturn didn't create so much negativity around sega, it is likely the dreamcast would have succeeded on a much higher level. Yes, the segacd and 32x were also factors in sega dimishing its brand, but at the same time this is also a testament to how well the DC was treated as a branded product.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Heirren

I don't know where this "influential vs good" thing came up. Nobody is doubting the saturns library, but it just didn't have the same impact of the dreamcast. In fact, if the saturn didn't create so much negativity around sega, it is likely the dreamcast would have succeeded on a much higher level. Yes, the segacd and 32x were also factors in sega dimishing its brand, but at the same time this is also a testament to how well the DC was treated as a branded product.

actually the amount of people Ive seen who know little about the console's library is not small. like I said, for the average person who does not own a Saturn (lets take you as an example), he could not name too many games on the Saturn, could you? Im not so sure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

actually the amount of people Ive seen who know little about the console's library is not small. like I said, for the average person who does not own a Saturn (lets take you as an example), he could not name too many games on the Saturn, could you? Im not so sure

Today, I couldn't. However, today as well, I couldn't name as many psx games either. Games are no longer a priority or prime focus for me anymore, but back in the years of the psx/n64/saturn they were one of my main hobbies. I did play a lot of Saturn games though, but I thinke the original point is somewhat proved by what you just said--that gamers like myself, ones that were BIG into gaming during that period--cannot name that many saturn games. Right there tells me the system had little impact on the industry. I was one of the kids that subscribed to EGM/DC Magazine/etc/ and read about ALL the systems.

I feel like the conversation has flown off topic. I don't even remember what the original point was!:)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Darkman2007

Heirren

Today, I couldn't. However, today as well, I couldn't name as many psx games either. Games are no longer a priority or prime focus for me anymore, but back in the years of the psx/n64/saturn they were one of my main hobbies. I did play a lot of Saturn games though, but I thinke the original point is somewhat proved by what you just said--that gamers like myself, ones that were BIG into gaming during that period--cannot name that many saturn games. Right there tells me the system had little impact on the industry. I was one of the kids that subscribed to EGM/DC Magazine/etc/ and read about ALL the systems.

I feel like the conversation has flown off topic. I don't even remember what the original point was!:)

oh well , we will agree to disagree :P I have noticed though even on this site, that alot of times, the PS1 version of a game would get reviewed while the Saturn version would not (Pocket Fighter , Street Fighter Alpha 3 , Duke3D , Croc and quite a few others). why is this I don't know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

oh well , we will agree to disagree :P I have noticed though even on this site, that alot of times, the PS1 version of a game would get reviewed while the Saturn version would not (Pocket Fighter , Street Fighter Alpha 3 , Duke3D , Croc and quite a few others). why is this I don't know.Darkman2007

Dreamcast was more influential/important system.

The review thing I do not understand either. I own a psp and was surprised at the lack of reviews. Perhaps the psp is comparable to the Saturn in this regard in how it is treated by the overall media.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] oh well , we will agree to disagree :P I have noticed though even on this site, that alot of times, the PS1 version of a game would get reviewed while the Saturn version would not (Pocket Fighter , Street Fighter Alpha 3 , Duke3D , Croc and quite a few others). why is this I don't know.Heirren

Dreamcast was more influential/important system.

The review thing I do not understand either. I own a psp and was surprised at the lack of reviews. Perhaps the psp is comparable to the Saturn in this regard in how it is treated by the overall media.

maybe. I mean sometimes , if a game is exactly the same I can understand, but in alot of these cases, the games are not the same. for instance Duke3D on the Saturn feels a bit different and runs smoother because it uses a full 3D engine, as opposed to the PS1 version which is basically a pixelated and sometimes choppy version of the PC. however the Saturn , due to using a 3D engine , has some stuff missing.
Hambonexx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Hambonexx7
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
1. Legacy of Kain: Soul reaver 2. Soul Caliber 3. Resident Evil: Code Veronica 4. House of the Dead 2 5. Crazy Taxi Those were my favorite, i didn't get around to playing many others...
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#139 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

and I brought up the 3DO because the DC wasnt the first system with visuals that crush anything on the market.

in fact, one could go even earlier and put the T16 as a candidate for that, since when it came out, it was a big step up from the NES and SMS.

Darkman2007

horrible comparison as the 3do was 700$, besides it wasn't that wowy, the neo geo was far more impressive in 1990 but was also 700$ and nobody could buy it, while the dreamcast was 199 and brought games that looked better than in the arcdes for the first time.