Tony Hawk Gertsmann Strikes Again!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
The title is kinda of a joke, but I have say that I absolutely hated Jeff's review of Skate...Well actually the review itself wasn't too bad but the score was totally out of whack from the text. Also, I'm totally confused at how he arrived at the score he did from not only the text he wrote but also because of his good and bad summary. Skate is admittedly a pretty niche game, it is anything but your standard affair, and I think the true heart of the game is in the skating itself and not at all in the missions themselves. Basically the game was designed almost solely around its controls and environment, so much that if the controls and and environment were bad the game would be a total failure. However, the game's environment is breath taking and the controls are completely brilliant (a perfect mesh of realism and accessbility), so I don't understand why the game got a 7.5...Sure a 7.5 is decent, but if you were to just take a gander at everyone else's review you'd get the idea that this game is doing something revolutionary...And IMO the game accomplishes just that. Jeff even putsin thegood controls and I believe environemnt, so whatsreally holdingback the game Jeff?Sure the career mode and goals aren't all that, but the skating, and the community the game develops are quite superb. The community is great because you can establish an account on EA, and watch, link,upload, and rate skateclips fromtthe game...even providing a way to embed themon facebook...whatother game has that?Not to mention the extensive options availablethrough Xbox Live.I said earlier that the game was really made more so for a niche market, although it is accessible enough for anyone to pick and play, and I believe that is spot on...People looking for a Tony Hawk copy (*cough Jeff) should not even have their hands on the game...Although, if you were to let some that truly skateboards or has had an experience skating play this game, they'd be completely blown away...Is that Jeff's fault? No. But if the guy can't appreciate the game for what it is, I don' t think he should be reviewing the game at all. Often times high scores are given out to the game's which are the best in their genre, but with Skate I don't think the game can really be compared to any other game that is currently out on the market, and that in itself speaks volumes to its quality. Overall I just think the problem Jeff had reviewing this game was much like the problem he had in reviewing VF5, he just has no idea what he's talking about.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
For me this review was as shocking as any of Gamespot's high profile controversial reviews... skate is fresh in ways that THPS just can't be anymore.  I also don't understand his beef with the product placement and in game advertising.  It is no different than any of the Tony Hawk games in that you can outfit yourself with real world brands and sponsors... it is almost like he faulted the game for having some authenticity... but whatever, Jeff's score has not made the game any less fun.
Even if the advertising can be construed as blatant and heavy handed, it doens't effect the gameplay.  Atleast everything I've seen in the game is related to skating, if there were McDonald's ads in it, that would be a worthy complaint.
camerafloge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 camerafloge
Member since 2003 • 693 Posts
its funny jeff is usually right..... but this time he droped the ball man, this is at least an 8.5. HE GAVE TONY HAWK 3 A "10" FOR A REASON. he hates gran turismo, but likes burnout...... see where im going with this
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
I think maybe this thread was better served as a blog post, so sorry if I come off a little too biased in my post.
AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts

I think maybe this thread was better served as a blog post, so sorry if I come off a little too biased in my post.HiResDes

This is definitely the sort of thing that's better served as a blog post, especially considering there are already Skate review threads floating around.