TimesOnline's Ten Most Influential Video Games Ever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Frost_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Frost_Mage
Member since 2007 • 524 Posts

Link

Here are the results:

1. Space Invaders - (1978 )

The first and most memorable of the 'noisy wardrobe' installations. The deceptively simple gameplay proved immensely addictive, with players pumping in coin after coin for no reward other than the certainty of another wave of eerie skull-like icons creeping across the screen. Space Invaders lives on today, embedded in thousands of Facebook profiles as part of the Retro Arcade plug-in.

2. Pac-Man - (1979)

Pac-man dispensed with even the semblance of logic that informed games from Space War through Space invaders and Defender, to offer players a virtual life as an insatiably ravenous ball being pursued around a maze by ghosts. It gave rise to Marcus Brigstocke's superb, and widely misattributed observation: 'Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive music'.

3. Elite - (1984)

The beginning of the role playing paradigm, and the first great example of British innovation in video gaming that still persists today. Elite's combination of trading, exploration and combat has been copied and improved upon by dozens of developers - leading to today's persistent online worlds like Second Life and World of Warcraft, but its name as entered the gamer's lexicon as the ultimate term of approbation.

4. Tetris - (1985)

An abstract geometry game that developed players' spatial awareness, shape sorting ability and logical planning which somehow became the most addictive pastime on every computer, console and mobile phone developed since its 1985 debut. The impossibly catchy music, based on a Russian folk tune called "Korobeiniki" even spawned a hit single for a wisely anonymous Andrew Lloyd Webber.

5. Super Mario Bros. - (1985)

The best-selling and most enduring games franchise does not involve armoured super-soldiers or curvy female archaeologists but, improbably, a couple of rotund Italian-American plumbers from New York. Although not the very first side-scrolling game it is by far the best known and is the wellspring from which hundreds of similar games such as Sonic the Hedgehog and Donkey Kong Country have sprung. It improved on predecessors with spin off records by being the first game to inspire a major motion picture - which starred Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper. The film adaptation failed to set the world alight but the game series continues to prosper, with every new Nintendo console or handheld having a Mario title as part of its launch line up.

6. Doom - (1993)

Again, Doom was by no means the first game based around a series of 3-D corridors and a catalogue of guns. It was preceded by Wolfenstein 3D and Pathways into Darkness (The first game in a lineage that would eventually spawn current market-leading shooter Halo 3). Nevertheless Doom became the iconic example of the 3D shooter genre, appearing on the computers in ER and even being held responsible by some commentators for the Columbine school massacre. Remade in 2004 with state-of-the-art graphics and then spun off into an artistically undistinguished but commercially lucrative movie.

7. Tomb Raider - (1996)

Whether Lara Croft did more to empower young female gamers or to arouse young male ones remains an area of doubt, but the Tomb Raider series is indisputably a huge cultural phenomenon and Lara is one of the key icons of her era. Appearing on the cover of (now defunct) hip sty-le bible The Face, in virtually every Sunday supplement feature about gaming published this century, and starring (in the guise of Angelina Jolie) in the most successful video game to movie transfer to date, Lara Croft is one of the most recognisable characters in popular culture today.

8. The Sims - (2000)

A soap opera that you control, The Sims was described by its developers as a "digital doll's house" which goes some way to explain its uniquely cross-gender appeal. With none of the conflict or aggression that typified its goal-driven forebears, The Sims is an open-ended game experience that is more akin to owning a pet than to playing most computer games. With its seemingly limitless series of expansion packs offering new characters and accessories The Sims is a gaming experience that need never end.

9. Grand Theft Auto III - (2001)

The Grand Theft Auto series shares The Sims' open-ended nature but added the vicarious thrills of the most violent, irresponsible action movies. With its true 3D environments GTA3 offered a more immersive experience than its two predecessors. The brutal, amoral tone of the game predictably excited much moral outrage from parents' groups and the sub-plot involving a prostitute precipitated a series of bans and sales restrictions. Controversy inevitably results in wider exposure though, and the Grand Theft Auto Series has, if anything, benefited from the scandal.

10. World of Warcraft - (The year was not included, perhaps because the game is ever-changing with it's patches and expansions. For the sake of argument, 2004)

Blizzard's World of Warcraft is one of the best-known online communities, with over nine million players paying £8 a month to subscribe to its immersive sword-and-sorcery world. Dubbed 'World of Warcrack' by critics decrying its addictiveness, the game has been accorded the ultimate accolade in pop culture: its own spectacularly foul-mouthed episode of South Park. With a GDP which dwarfs that of many real countries and (of course) a movie spin off in the works it looks as if WoW will continue to be one of the fastest-growing economies of the 21st Century.

---------

Now that we have the results out of the way, what do you think? I disagree with some of those chosen, but I see merit in each.

Frost_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Frost_Mage

Tomb Raider has no business there, it was popular yes but didn't influence much of anything. There are some better examples I would have added to the list like say Dragon Warrior, John Madden Football, or even Legend of Zelda.dvader654

Yeah, I might have included Final Fantasy (NES) in that list. I don't find any game as influential among the general RPG crowd as that (at least that series).

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
I would also add star raiders to that list. which inspired such great games as wing commander...
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Tomb Raider has no business there, it was popular yes but didn't influence much of anything. There are some better examples I would have added to the list like say Dragon Warrior, John Madden Football, or even Legend of Zelda.dvader654
All things considered, it wasn't even that popular. How about Street Fighter 2?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Um...where's Starcraft? And I never really heard of Elite. Wasn't Ultima the RPG that started it all? Where's that? And isn't Elite a simulation game?

Also, I think Legend of Zelda should be in there.

Frost_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Frost_Mage

All things considered, it wasn't even that popular. How about Street Fighter 2?yodariquo

SF2 is a superb example I think. In the top ten? Maybe not. If we disregard the characters within games, e.g. Lara Croft, we would probably conclude that SF2 is more influential than Tomb Raider...at least among game genres in general...and not other mostly irrelevant pop culture issues (which this list might have considered a little too much...at least for us gamers).

Frost_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Frost_Mage

Yeah they seem to have focused on that a bit much. Except you have this Elite game I haven't even heard of, so why put that if its more pop culture, I don't know, its a weird list.

dvader654

I find this list somewhat silly in parts. I don't think that pop culture was a predominantly decisive element, but I think enough of it was considered to place Tomb Raider on the list.

As far as Elite goes, this is where the list tries to seem "hardcore" and fails. It's sounds overly pretentious. The game is NOT that influential. Just because a certain something helps begin a trend, that doesn't mean necessarily that it is the most influential in that trend.

The Beatles didn't start the British Invasion...but they made it a part of history.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 skyyfox1

Um...where's Starcraft? And I never really heard of Elite. Wasn't Ultima the RPG that started it all? Where's that? And isn't Elite a simulation game?

Also, I think Legend of Zelda should be in there.

ASK_Story

elite was a good space combat game. back in the 8 bit days. your right about ultima!!! the first and greatest rpg ever!!!

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Considering how HUGE RPG genre has been in gaming industry, both WRPG and JRPGs, not having those makes the list automatic failure in terms of most influential video games.

Ultima should be there, but can be argued that Dragon Quest should be there instead. Ultima started it, but Dragon Quest is the one that attracted people to JRPGs (mostly Japanese but it is where it started and grew to what it is now)

Also no Street Fighter 2? That was the game to make competitive gameplay popular to what it is now, leading to online gameplay. It opened the door to what can happen to gaming industry when players are able to compete against each other.

Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
Influential? Not sure I agree with some of those...Popular yes...but influential? Definitely not. No Ultima, no Starcraft, and Tomb Raider is there? Tomb Raider??
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#14 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I think it's missing some key things and put in some un-necessary things
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Influential? Not sure I agree with some of those...Popular yes...but influential? Definitely not. No Ultima, no Starcraft, and Tomb Raider is there? Tomb Raider??Galzakian

Tomb Raider I guess can be influential.

It proved to game developers that big boobs = lots of money.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skyyfox1

[QUOTE="Galzakian"]Influential? Not sure I agree with some of those...Popular yes...but influential? Definitely not. No Ultima, no Starcraft, and Tomb Raider is there? Tomb Raider??TriangleHard

Tomb Raider I guess can be influential.

It proved to game developers that big boobs = lots of money.

no doubt. duke nukem was very good too.

Frost_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Frost_Mage

Another game that might have been overlooked, but maybe not deserve to be in the top 10, is King's Quest. When Sierra hit the jackpot with this game, a plethora of iterations followed. The PC adventure games such as Sam and Max, Monkey Island, and even MYST may very well have never existed. ...and because of Sierra's success with KQ, we might somewhat attribute the existance of games such as F.E.A.R. to that KQ old, grainy stroke of genius. Hell, Oregon Trail is too often overlooked.

We seem to forget sometimes about the video games that made a really large impact for PC users.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

Ultima should be there, but can be argued that Dragon Quest should be there instead. Ultima started it, but Dragon Quest is the one that attracted people to JRPGs (mostly Japanese but it is where it started and grew to what it is now)

TriangleHard

Then again, Ultima also kinda started the FPS genre (Wolfenstein 3D was based on a tech demo of Ultima Underworld) and the MMORPG genre (Ultima Online being one of the first graphical MMO's).

Ultima definitely deserves a place. This list fails.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skyyfox1
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

Planeforger

Then again, Ultima also kinda started the FPS genre (Wolfenstein 3D was based on a tech demo of Ultima Underworld) and the MMORPG genre (Ultima Online being one of the first graphical MMO's).

Ultima definitely deserves a place. This list fails.

absolutely. ultima was the first of it's kind. and ultima underworld was a really cool 3d version of ultima.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
I can agree with those as long as it's only based on their influence on the public and not their influence on future video games.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

[QUOTE="yodariquo"][QUOTE="dvader654"]Tomb Raider has no business there, it was popular yes but didn't influence much of anything. There are some better examples I would have added to the list like say Dragon Warrior, John Madden Football, or even Legend of Zelda.dvader654

All things considered, it wasn't even that popular. How about Street Fighter 2?

Holy crap of course, how could I forget Street Fighter 2.

Yeah, I agree with Street Fighter 2. Definitely a huge influence.

And I wonder if Resident Evil should be on that list? And Metal Gear Solid should've been considered. And one more...what about Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero? These are really influential. People who don't even like games buy Guitar Hero. And Tony Hawk is one of the biggest influential games of all time, even though Activision milked the heck out of it.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skyyfox1
street fighter 2 is a great game for sure. did you guys ever play IK+ for the atari? a really great fighting game that got me addicted to fighting games. i have since bought vf4 and mk deception which are also great fighting games.
Frost_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Frost_Mage

street fighter 2 is a great game for sure. did you guys ever play IK+ for the atari? a really great fighting game that got me addicted to fighting games. i have since bought vf4 and mk deception which are also great fighting games.skyyfox1

Wow, talk about old school! I always think of Yie Ar Kung-Fu though when I think of these old games.

My friends never believed I could beat this game in the arcades.... Why? ...because I had performance anxiety I guess. :cry: I could never win the final match while other people were looking. True story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
deactivated-5c8225b86ff49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
Member since 2005 • 605 Posts
Where's Halo? Most influential game ever.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

The only thing Tomb Raider proved is that if you shape polygons into cleavage you can sell a videogame. And I don't think World of Warcraft belongs on here either. Yeah it's the most popular MMORPG ever, but the most influential?? I think you'd have to go back to EverQuest for that. That was the game that was the model for every other one that came after it.

As everyone else has said Dragon Warrior and Street Fighter 2 were probably the other ones that should have been on this list. I could maybe see SF2 being replaced with Virtua Fighter since the 2-D fighter is sadly just about dead, but you could argue that SF2 still made the fighting genre popular and laid the groundwork for VF and all other 3-D fighters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Super Mario 64 should have been there.
Frost_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Frost_Mage

Super Mario 64 should have been there.VGobbsesser

As far as 3D platformers go...it should have been there long before Lara Croft. :? Anyway, I was hoping someone would mention M64. Mario 64 is one of my fav games of all time...because it's one of the best (and most influential). :)

jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts

Where's Halo? Most influential game ever.The_Frederick

Hahahaha. Halo is not influential.

Want influential? How about two games that basiclly created their respective genres as we know it today. They wern't the first, but they really brought it to the masses and spawned many rip offs and wannabes.

Street Fighter 2, and Resient Evil.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I agree with the naming of all of the games I am familiar with (I have heard of Elite, but never played it). Sure, other games could be plausibly named, but I've never seen a list that all gamers were happy with (how could one forget game X, this list is completely invalid!).

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts
If I was asked to add one game I'd use the diplomatic answer of Oregon Trail because it made you feel like you were on the Oregon Trail in that time period as 50 Cent would say "Just a lil bit"
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Alot of you guys are naming big titles like Starcraft or Streetfighter, or Zelda. While they are amazing games, there were many LIKE them before they actually came out. So you can't call them the top influential games ever, when you had something like Dune 2 before Starcraft.
Atrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Atrus
Member since 2002 • 10422 Posts
The list makes sense. Remember this is Time and therefore will reflect the games which drew the most public interest in the West. I only wonder at Elite's inclusion given that it's the odd one out of the games mentioned.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
deactivated-5c8225b86ff49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
Member since 2005 • 605 Posts

To the person who said Halo..... You idiot. Great game but there were thousands of shooters that preceded it. mhsdrake

Aww, gee, you think I might have been sarcastic?

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
It's like they just picked out the oldest games out there and chucked in a couple of recent ones.
Freshenizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Freshenizer
Member since 2004 • 381 Posts
How can Pong not be on this list?
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts
Geez, how can Pong not make it. That game influence a lot of people to be competitive and stole away a lot of hours of my sister's and my childhood. We would play each other for hours among hours. That and then California Games for NES. And yes, WoW shouldn't be on there, it should be replaced with Everquest. The only difference between the two is that Everquest was more played by teenagers and adults whereas WoW is just played by all ages that still act like kids.
jks22112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#39 jks22112
Member since 2005 • 2395 Posts

[QUOTE="mhsdrake"]To the person who said Halo..... You idiot. Great game but there were thousands of shooters that preceded it. The_Frederick

Aww, gee, you think I might have been sarcastic?

Ehh, sarcasm is not easily read on the internet.