The Sega Saturn is one of the best video game consoles ever

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="Domino_slayer"]

Seriously, Astal is an absolutely horrible game, I have no idea why anyone brings it up, all it has going for it is the graphics, that's literally it, gameplay wise its so uninspired and slow it makes Yoshi's Story look like an action-packed extravanganza of intense exhilaration.

Also Bangai-O is not a port, the N64 game is the original version.

Lucianu

It's something common, from what i've seen over time, a lot of people love it, and on the flip side of the coin a lot of people hate it. It's a slower paced platformer with simplistic level design, but i throughly enjoyed playing it. It's no classic, but it's a good game.

Yeah, my mistake, i should have said 'version'.

Could have been worse, at least he didn't play Keio flying Squadron 2

I had heard people saying the game was awesome and it certainly would have explained the prices it commands on ebay.

after getting my hands on it... meh

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

I bought a Saturn in the early 2000s.....I don't get the love. Sure it's got some good games, but nothing really struck me. My most two played games were Decathlete and Fire Prowrestling: 6man Scramble. I will say that the Saturn's controller is, hands-down, the best controller ever constructed, given what it was designed to be.LongZhiZi

if you buy sh** games then yeah of course it's not going to appeal to you.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#53 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I think it's pretty good, much better if you are importing Japanese games.

For me the Saturn was an overall better system with a better game library. At least it carried me through the generation, something that the Dreamcast just couldn't.

The Saturn also seems to be the better choice currently. As far as I can tell most of the great Dreamcast games have either not aged well, been outdone by newer games, or are available on compilations or remakes.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]I bought a Saturn in the early 2000s.....I don't get the love. Sure it's got some good games, but nothing really struck me. My most two played games were Decathlete and Fire Prowrestling: 6man Scramble. I will say that the Saturn's controller is, hands-down, the best controller ever constructed, given what it was designed to be.bultje112

Then what, pray tell, are the good games for the system?
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Saturn's a good machine, but its still my least favourite of the four main Sega systems, and my least favourite of the three major 5th gen systems.

-------------------------------------------------

In regards to the Dreamcast surging in popularity, its worth noting that the games were basically discounted and dumped on mass late 2001. When the Gamecube came out I bought a Gamecube, and I recommended my friend buy a Dreamcast, as he never had any cash and I knew there were many highly rated games for the system already which were now cheap, within a few months he had like 10 times the number of games I did, because Dreamcast games ended up selling for some ridiculous £5 odd at the time, worse still the games were clearly better than what I had on Gamecube (except maybe SBM).

So really, you didn't have to pirate anything to amass a huge number of Dreamcast games, the games were everywhere and were dirt cheap, I think a lot of the popularity these days might simply be from kids who were bought them second hand on the cheap down flea markets and boot fairs.

Domino_slayer

Ah yes, I remember this time period as well, and have read some pretty remarkable things online about the Dreamcast scene in the early 2000s.

On a personal level, there was an EBX at a local mall when I was growing up who was trying to get rid of their Dreamcast selection in a hurry to make room for the GC and XBOX. They had deals like buy 1, get 2 free, and had games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Power Stone 2 and other pretty sought after DC games for like $10 each at that time. I ended up buying a lot of DC games during this time (many which I regretably sold over the years and have re-bought for a lot more money).

And then I've read stories online of people buying games like Project Justice, Cannon Spike, Skies or Arcadia and other very valuable DC games brand new from KMART and Walmark discount bins for $5. This was happening a lot from like late 2001 until as late as 2004. I evny anyone who took advantage of these deals and snagged any of the games mentioned above for that price brand new.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

It is definitely a top 10 system for me, and I would agree that it has one of the most horribly underrated libraries in gaming history, especially when you bring in all the great imports that never made it outside Japan. However, I would not say it was a good as the Dreamcast and especially not as good as the Genesis/MD.

AlexKidd5000

IMO, the Genesis would be the best Sega console, then the Saturn, then the Dreamcast. I don't get the appeal of the Dreamcast to be honest.

I personally love all the arcade perfect ports on the DC, as well as many of its exclusives (at least exclusive at the time). I do admit that it has achieved an almost legendary like status with some people, which I don't agree with, but it is a very, very good console that deserves a good part of its positive reputation.

But yes, the Genesis is objectively the best Sega console ever released for so many reasons. While I personally like the DC more, I have no trouble recognizing how the Genesis bests it in so many ways.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Shenmue_Jehuty

For me the Saturn was an overall better system with a better game library. At least it carried me through the generation, something that the Dreamcast just couldn't.Legolas_Katarn

The Saturn also seems to be the better choice currently. As far as I can tell most of the great Dreamcast games have either not aged well, been outdone by newer games, or are available on compilations or remakes.

I think 99% of all retro games have been bested by newer games, sometimes many, many times over. But that doesn't stop any of us from loving and appreciating the classics now does it? This applies to the Dreamcast, Saturn and virtually any console that isn't the PS3, XBOX 360 or Wii/Wii U.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#58 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]I think it's pretty good, much better if you are importing Japanese games.

For me the Saturn was an overall better system with a better game library. At least it carried me through the generation, something that the Dreamcast just couldn't.Shenmue_Jehuty

I think 99% of all retro games have been bested by newer games, sometimes many, many times over. But that doesn't stop any of us from loving and appreciating the classics now does it? This applies to the Dreamcast, Saturn and virtually any console that isn't the PS3, XBOX 360 or Wii/Wii U.

Not necessarily there are a lot of games I could easily see people preferring the older games of then the new, especially when it comes to certain genres like platformers, fighting games, or beat em ups. When I hear the games that people like to talk about on Dreamcast they are usually a game that has aged very poorly or is already available on a newer console making buying the system now almost pointless.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 bultje112

For me the Saturn was an overall better system with a better game library. At least it carried me through the generation, something that the Dreamcast just couldn't.Legolas_Katarn

what dreamcast games haven't aged well? I think it's the oldest system to have aged so well.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]I bought a Saturn in the early 2000s.....I don't get the love. Sure it's got some good games, but nothing really struck me. My most two played games were Decathlete and Fire Prowrestling: 6man Scramble. I will say that the Saturn's controller is, hands-down, the best controller ever constructed, given what it was designed to be.LongZhiZi

Then what, pray tell, are the good games for the system?

1) NIGHTS Into Dreams [1177]
2) Panzer Dragoon Saga [949]
3) Shining Force III [687]
4) Guardian Heroes [674]
5) Radiant Silvergun [565]
6) Panzer Dragoon Zwei [561]
7) Dragon Force [501]
8) Sega Rally Championship [380]
9) Virtua Fighter 2 [344]
10) Saturn Bomberman [303]
11) Fighters Megamix [283]
12) Panzer Dragoon [237]
13) X-Men vs. Street Fighter [228]
14) Burning Rangers [211]
15) Shining The Holy Ark [207]
16) Sonic Jam [183]
17) Street Fighter Zero 3 [159]
18) Magic Knight Rayearth [155]
19) Virtual On [152]
20) Grandia [151]
21) Albert Odyssey: Legend Of Eldean [141]
22) Street Fighter Zero 2 [137]
23) Daytona USA [121]
24) Virtua Cop [118]
25) Soukyugurentai [113]
26) Battle Garegga [111]
27) Virtua Cop 2 [111]
28) Sonic R [110]
29) Metal Slug [109]
30) Street Fighter Collection [106]
31) Resident Evil [99]
32) Dracula X [98]
33) Marvel vs. Street Fighter [97]
34) Legend Of Oasis [92]
35) Tomb Raider [89]
36) Duke Nukem 3D [88]
37) Dark Savior [86]
38) Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo [83]
39) Christmas NIGHTS [73]
40) Vampire Savior [71]
41) Thunder Force V [68]
42) Blazing Heroes [66]
43) Tengai Makyo IV: The Apocalypse [60]
44) Quake [60]
45) Enemy Zero [61]
46) Sakura Wars [60]
47) DoDonpachi [60]
48) Astal [57]
49) Darius Gaiden [55]
50) Princess Crown [54]
51) Deep Fear [52]

a good list

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

a good list

bultje112
A good joke. Half of those games aren't even exclusive at all, and most of the remaining aren't even worth mentioning. Seriously, Nights made the top of your list. I own that game and it's utter crap. It's remembered more for the fact that it came with the analog controller than actually being something worth playing.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

a good list

LongZhiZi

A good joke. Half of those games aren't even exclusive at all, and most of the remaining aren't even worth mentioning. Seriously, Nights made the top of your list. I own that game and it's utter crap. It's remembered more for the fact that it came with the analog controller than actually being something worth playing.

Just because they aren't exclusive, doesn't mean they aren't worth getting and playing. With that logic, no console on Earth is worth owning if you have a decent gaming PC, minus the current generation.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#63 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="bultje112"]

a good list

LongZhiZi

how many of the games on that list have you actually played? Id have to assume you played all of them if you can actually have an opinion on them 2nd, whats so bad about games that are not exclusive? still fun , and some of those are better on Saturn anyway
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 bultje112

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

a good list

LongZhiZi

lol @ this troll attempt

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 bultje112

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"][QUOTE="bultje112"]

a good list

Lucianu

Just because they aren't exclusive, doesn't mean they aren't worth getting and playing. With that logic, no console on Earth is worth owning if you have a decent gaming PC, minus the current generation.

most of those games are still exclusive, amost all the top titles, like sf3 games, panzer dragoon saga, dragon force etc

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 rilpas

a good list

bultje112

it really isn't, there's a lot of fluff in there

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#67 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

a good list

rilpas

It looked like a good list of games to me. The Saturn is a great system. But still, I preferred the PS1 that generation.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

a good list

Emerald_Warrior

It looked like a good list of games to me. The Saturn is a great system. But still, I preferred the PS1 that generation.

it wasn't a bad list, but it's padded with games like Quake, Sonic R or Duke Nukem 3D

I'd also argue that placing RPGs that were never released outside Japan is a bit of padding

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

it wasn't a bad list, but it's padded with games like Quake, Sonic R or Duke Nukem 3D

I'd also argue that placing RPGs that were never released outside Japan is a bit of padding

I don't know, Quake and Duke3D would be good games to list. Christmas Nights on the other hand, not so much , its more or less a glorified demo
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lucianu

Here's my personal list of games worth getting or playing. Either they are exclusive, have at most 1 other port, have extra exclusive content, or are just cheaper than dirt (such as with Nights into Dreams, Virtua Fighter 2, etc.). All of them are great and have aged well.

1. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
  2. Bulk Slash
  3. Virtua Fighter 2
  4. SEGA Rally (the mechanics and car handling have barely ben surpassed, light years ahead of its time)
  5. Nights into Dreams...
  6. Panzer Dragoon Saga (jp version infinitely cheaper)
  7. Shinning The Holy Ark
  8. Shinning Force III Scenario 1, 2 and 3
  9. Dragon Force II
  10. Magic Knight Rayearth
  11. Albert Odyssey
  12. PowerSlave
  13. Daytona USA CE (jp import)
  14. Winter Heat
  15. Night Striker S
  16. Grid Runner
  17. Astal
  18. Super Tempo
  19. The Legend of Oasis
  20. Saturn Bomberman
  21. Purikura Daisakusen
  22. Guardian Heroes
  23. Keio Flying Squadron 2
  24. Shinobi-X
  25. Dungeon & Dragons Collection
  26. Three Dirty Dwarves
  27. Astra Super Stars
  28. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
  29. Cyberbots
  30. Street Fighter Alpha 2
  31. Assault Suit Leynos 2
  32. Gunbird
  33. Sengoku Blade
  34. Game Tengoku - The Game Paradise
  35. Darius Gaiden
  36. Galactic Attack
  37. Cotton 2
  38. Battle Garegga
  39. Batsugun
  40. Sonic Jam (extra content, easier modes, a lot of charm poured into it)
  41. Virtua Cop 2 (one of the best lightgun games ever to grace a console)

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Darkman2007

I don't know, Quake and Duke3D would be good games to list. Christmas Nights on the other hand, not so much , its more or less a glorified demo

meh SAturn Quake is pretty decent Saturn Duke 3D not so much

honestly, I think the games work better as curiosities given their history then actual games

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Lucianu

rilpas

Nah, dowloading a translation guide and mearly looking at it once a dialogue sequence/important text appears isn't immersive breaking. I mean, text appears, takes a sec. to move to the paper to read, takes another sec. to move back on the screen.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

Quake and Duke Nukem 3D are great games. The never released outside of Japan RPGs, I can agree with though. But still, take those out, and it's still a great list of games.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 rilpas

Quake and Duke Nukem 3D are great games. The never released outside of Japan RPGs, I can agree with though. But still, take those out, and it's still a great list of games.

Emerald_Warrior

I don't think the Saturn versions are all that great, especially for Duke Nukem 3D where almost all of the Duke's lines were removed.

Nah, dowloading a translation guide and mearly looking at it once a dialogue sequence/important text appears isn't immersive breaking. I mean, text appears, takes a sec. to move to the paper to read, takes another sec. to move back on the screen.

Lucianu

I think it's way too much needless work, especially when you're wandering town trying to talk to random NPCs.

Heck, is there even a point in trying to talk to random NPCs when you already know what they'll say before hand? It's like using a freaking walkthrough, not a fan of that

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Lucianu

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Emerald_Warrior

Eh, i would say that the only FPS worth owning on the Saturn is PowerSlave. Not only does it have a completely different engine than the PC version that is perfectly suited for the Saturn pad, but it offers a decent chunk of exclusive content over the PS1/PC version, also a few completely different levels.

Quake and Duke 3D.. not so much. A toaster of a PC can run them, fully modded, or in original mode. Not to mention a ton of extra content.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 rilpas

Quake and Duke 3D.. not so much. A toaster of a PC can run them, fully modded, or in original mode. Not to mention a ton of extra content.

Lucianu

indeed. The saturn versions are interesting for the story behind them, but little else

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Lucianu

Eh, i would say that the only FPS worth owning on the Saturn is PowerSlave. Not only does it have a completely different engine than the PC version that is perfectly suited for the Saturn pad, but it offers a decent chunk of exclusive content over the PS1/PC version, also a few completely different levels.

I haven't actually played Duke 3D on Saturn :| But I have played Quake, and it's a great version of the game.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Lucianu

I think it's way too much needless work, especially when you're wandering town trying to talk to random NPCs.

Heck, is there even a point in trying to talk to random NPCs when you already know what they'll say before hand? It's like using a freaking walkthrough, not a fan of that

rilpas

Who said anything about reading ahead? You accordingly plan wen to read each segment.

Eh, it's a hassle until you get used to it, but it's not needless work if you want to play a japanese RPG.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Lucianu

Who said anything about reading ahead? You accordingly plan wen to read each segment.

Eh, it's a hassle until you get used to it, but it's not needless work if you want to play a japanese RPG.

fair enough

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Heck, is there even a point in trying to talk to random NPCs when you already know what they'll say before hand? It's like using a freaking walkthrough, not a fan of that.

rilpas

^This

Don't find using a translation FAQ for RPGs remotely fun at all.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 bultje112

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Darkman2007

it has only 2 levels, but it's better even than original nights, also graphically

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 bultje112

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

meh SAturn Quake is pretty decent Saturn Duke 3D not so much

honestly, I think the games work better as curiosities given their history then actual games

I hope this iks a joke, duke nukem 3d on saturn is widely considered the best duke nukem 3d console port and one of the saturn behcmark titles. it blows the psx to pieces and is very good

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 rilpas

I hope this iks a joke,

bultje112

it is not

duke nukem 3d on saturn is widely considered the best duke nukem 3d console portbultje112

no it's not. There is no clear winner on which 32 bit port is the best. For every link of website you give me that claims the saturn is the best I could easilly show you one that it's the worst version.

Heck, Mark from Cl a s s i c game room and Clint From the Lazy game reviews hated it

and Clint is a huge Duke Nukem 3D fanboy

and one of the saturn behcmark titles. it blows the psx to pieces and is very good

bultje112

too bad it's missing 4 levels, while others were cut down, it has no triggered events and it's missing over half of Duke's lines

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

it is not

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

duke nukem 3d on saturn is widely considered the best duke nukem 3d console portrilpas

no it's not. There is no clear winner on which 32 bit port is the best. For every link of website you give me that claims the saturn is the best I could easilly show you one that it's the worst version.

Heck, Mark from Cl a s s i c game room and Clint From the Lazy game reviews hated it

and Clint is a huge Duke Nukem 3D fanboy

and one of the saturn behcmark titles. it blows the psx to pieces and is very good

bultje112

too bad it's missing 4 levels, while others were cut down, it has no triggered events and it's missing over half of Duke's lines

I still consider the Saturn version the best console, though I can understand what LGR in particular was complaining about (CGR less so , most of what I heard was that he disliked the controls). of course the version I play the most is the PC , with Gravis Ultrasound too, best way to play the game.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 rilpas

I still consider the Saturn version the best console, though I can understand what LGR in particular was complaining about (CGR less so , most of what I heard was that he disliked the controls). of course the version I play the most is the PC , with Gravis Ultrasound too, best way to play the game.Darkman2007

personally, I just think every 32bitconsole port is kinda meh

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]I still consider the Saturn version the best console, though I can understand what LGR in particular was complaining about (CGR less so , most of what I heard was that he disliked the controls). of course the version I play the most is the PC , with Gravis Ultrasound too, best way to play the game.rilpas

Im assuming youre including the N64 in this? to be fair though , this happened with alot of PC ports,alot of games were better on PC
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]I still consider the Saturn version the best console, though I can understand what LGR in particular was complaining about (CGR less so , most of what I heard was that he disliked the controls). of course the version I play the most is the PC , with Gravis Ultrasound too, best way to play the game.Darkman2007

Im assuming youre including the N64 in this? to be fair though , this happened with alot of PC ports,alot of games were better on PC

I am, it has the best gameplay, but the lack of music and Duke's attitude get to me

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Darkman2007

rilpas

I am, it has the best gameplay, but the lack of music and Duke's attitude get to me

at least they are better than the Mega Drive version :P
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Im assuming youre including the N64 in this? to be fair though , this happened with alot of PC ports,alot of games were better on PCDarkman2007

indeed, though on a technical aspect, that version is very impressive

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Darkman2007

rilpas

its impressive (although I personally think its not the best example of an FPS on the Mega Drive), though its kind of like Doom on the SNES, it kinda leaves you thinking "why???". actually I think VF2 on the Mega Drive has the same issue, once you take a game and just strip it down so much that it loses alot of what made it good, it becomes pointless.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] at least they are better than the Mega Drive version :PDarkman2007

its impressive (although I personally think its not the best example of an FPS on the Mega Drive), though its kind of like Doom on the SNES, it kinda leaves you thinking "why???". actually I think VF2 on the Mega Drive has the same issue, once you take a game and just strip it down so much that it loses alot of what made it good, it becomes pointless.

agreed, though I actually consider VF 2 a guilty pleasure, yes it sucks... but I sort of have fun with it

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#92 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Sega Saturn ruled in Japan. It is a shame that most of the games for Sega Saturn didn't make it to North America. The E3 1995 "it's on store shelves now" seems to be what killed the Sega Saturn in North America

I was most excited for Sega Saturn by end up going to the Sony Playstation. Because of May Day 1995.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#93 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
Maybe not a commercial success here in north America but I enjoyed it. It's one of my favorite legacy consoles, right behind the Dreamcat.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Emerald_Warrior

The Sega Saturn ruled in Japan. It is a shame that most of the games for Sega Saturn didn't make it to North America. The E3 1995 "it's on store shelves now" seems to be what killed the Sega Saturn in North America.

Megavideogamer

Also I think what killed it was the very weird commercials that left casual gamers scratching their heads. And not porting enough hits in Japan to Europe & America.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

The Sega Saturn ruled in Japan. It is a shame that most of the games for Sega Saturn didn't make it to North America. The E3 1995 "it's on store shelves now" seems to be what killed the Sega Saturn in North America.

Emerald_Warrior

Also I think what killed it was the very weird commercials that left casual gamers scratching their heads. And not porting enough hits in Japan to Europe & America.

They had little publisher support in the west. There just wasn't anyone willing to localize those games, and SEGA just couldn't bring every other game by themselves, though they did brought a whole bunch of games that originally had different publishers.

In Japan publishers could manufacture their games themselves if they wanted even since Famicom era. I don't know about now, but back then companies didn't had that flexibility in the west.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Had it as my first 32-bit console. Uncle bought it as a gift at launch (who also got us an SNES at launch prior). After its Western demise I switched to the N64 til about '99 when I finally got a PSX.

It introduced me to the Megaman series with MegamanX4. For that I will be eternally grateful. Additional fond memories of Myst, Virtua Fighter, the WorldWide Soccer games, NBA Jam, Bug!, the first Clockwork Knight game, Daytona, Die Hard Arcade, X-Men: CotA, the SF Alpha series, NHL Hockey, WWF In Your House. I recall wanting Sonic Jam so bad but it always sold out whenever the stores stocked on it.

Also remember almost buying Burining Rangers when it released, but my folks gave me a choice of either that or the N64. So I skipped it.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

[QUOTE="Spironcheese"]That's quite a broad statement considering that the Genesis had hundreds of good games and the Dreamcast hooked up to the Internet before the ps2 and Xbox and put a screen in the controller before the Wii U. I do agree the Saturn holds its place in gaming history ,but I don't believe it was as near as good as it's predecessor or successor.JigglyWiggly_

Saturn did online first, actually.

For me the Saturn was an overall better system with a better game library. At least it carried me through the generation, something that the Dreamcast just couldn't.

sega genesis has online w/ xband

As did the SNES :)
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Stinger78

The Commodore 64 has them both beat with Quantum Link.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Stinger78"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] sega genesis has online w/ xband

Emerald_Warrior

The Commodore 64 has them both beat with Quantum Link.

The 2600 had a game service called Gameline, that allowed users to download games over a modem of sorts (essentially a cartridge that connected to your phoneline)

not online as such , but close enough given its the 2600

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#100 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Stinger78

Are you serious ? I never knew that. Neat peace of info. It must've been a bit expensive.