The Forza Motorsport 4 thread: demo available now

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts

Couldn't find my old Forza 4 thread, so we have this new one instead.

Demo just launched and it is awesome. The Pirelli collaboration is really showing its worth in the physics.

What's everyone's best time so far? I've got 1:41.2 in the Impreza.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
139.7 in the impreza I think. Stunning physics. Makes Forza 3 feel old and dated. I could believe it or not see this game scoring a 10/10 on GS, it's that awesome :D
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44365 Posts
Sweet. I'll probably download the demo tonight even though this is a guaranteed purchase for me.
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts

The demo was good, but then again it's Forza - it'll take a lot of effort to not be good. Rather enjoyed the look of the Alps track.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'm guessing it is Gold-only for the first week? I'll have to wait of course... and I am kind of apprehensive about playing the demo. With Arkham City coming out this month (and my GF having a fully-paid pre-order down on it already) and Revelations and Skyward Sword next month... I have a feeling after playing the demo that i'm going to want this too (despite anything I said around the time Driver: SF came out). If the physics really are that drastically improved, I may not even have a choice. The car-nut in me will just go, well, nuts. Though, I am working a double-time-and-a-half shift on the 10th, so I may grab a pre-order if the aforementioned nut goes wild. -- Quick question. What cars/tracks are in the demo? I remember the FM3 demo having my now-favourite Camino Viejo de Montserrat (short) and five cars. And is it only a quick race or can you do hot laps as well (which I prefer)? And I think the gaming gods might be speaking to me... I've recently got back into cars (i.e. reading all about different models and stats and such) and have very recently found the joy of watching Top Gear. So I may have no choice. ._.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

....and have very recently found the joy of watching Top Gear....foxhound_fox
Be sure to see if you can catch their specials. They are hilarious. In particular, last years Christmas special. I highly recommend it.;)

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]....and have very recently found the joy of watching Top Gear....heretrix

Be sure to see if you can catch their specials. They are hilarious. In particular, last years Christmas special. I highly recommend it.;)

I've just started watching them too and they are indeed hilarious. I know this is probably a google question, but does anyone know when they're back on?

Anyways foxhound, to answer your question you can get behind the wheel of a 1970 Mecury Cougar Eliminator, 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Ferrari 458 Italia all in quick race. And 2009 Pagani Zonda and 2012 BMW M5 in the other game type (I forget the name).

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 argianas

I'm guessing it is Gold-only for the first week?foxhound_fox

Not quite - on Friday it's available for everyone.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkCatalyst

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]....and have very recently found the joy of watching Top Gear....heretrix

Is that the Jesus Stig episode?
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I'm going to download the demo tonight and give it a spin!

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkCatalyst

I'm going to download the demo tonight and give it a spin!

Metamania
Do it, definitely. Amazing, amazing game. I think I need a cigarette after a few laps in the Zonda.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 foxhound_fox
Not quite - on Friday it's available for everyone.argianas
Cool. But I've got the next two days off... >_> -- @Lanezy: Thanks. I look forward to all three in the quick race (especially the Cougar). Is the other mode drifting? Or checkpoint racing? -- In other news, I'm still irked that there is already VIP DLC being detailed for release... and it isn't just three cars, but 25. :x
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 argianas

[QUOTE="argianas"]Not quite - on Friday it's available for everyone.foxhound_fox
Cool. But I've got the next two days off... >_> -- @Lanezy: Thanks. I look forward to all three in the quick race (especially the Cougar). Is the other mode drifting? Or checkpoint racing?

The rival mode seems to be leaderboard driven for fastest laps, with someone's time being the goal. The first of the three is just a straight up time trial. The other two have a bunch of slower cars that you need to overtake while going for the best time.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metamania

I got the demo downloaded yesterday, but was so tired to play it. I'll give it a run this morning for real!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Metamania

I just got in a few races and even challenged a rival car (I believe I challenged your ghost car, Pat, and beat you on it). I have to say that Forza Motorsport 4 is absolutely amazing. So glad that I am picking this up. One thing that I was confused about though; the rewind feature. Why include that in? Is that just to help out new gamers of the series in getting a big advantage over the race itself? That said, I'm loving FM4!

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkCatalyst

I just got in a few races and even challenged a rival car (I believe I challenged your ghost car, Pat, and beat you on it). I have to say that Forza Motorsport 4 is absolutely amazing. So glad that I am picking this up. One thing that I was confused about though; the rewind feature. Why include that in? Is that just to help out new gamers of the series in getting a big advantage over the race itself? That said, I'm loving FM4!

Metamania
It's mainly because a lot of the races are really long, and all it takes is one big crash to potentially put quite a bit of hard work down the toilet. The rewind feature lets you circumvent disasters like that without having to restart. It's also good for learning specific parts of tracks through repetition.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Metamania

OK, I can buy that. You don't want to screw up on the tracks and the rewind features ensures that. I like it!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox
The rewind in FM3 also threw any chance of getting a score put on the leaderboards, so not using it was a plus.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkCatalyst
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/endangered-species-forza-motorsport/721682 Magnificent trailer. I love it.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Metamania

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/endangered-species-forza-motorsport/721682 Magnificent trailer. I love it.DarkCatalyst

Wonderful trailer! :)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The rewind in FM3 also threw any chance of getting a score put on the leaderboards, so not using it was a plus.foxhound_fox
That reminds me, I never did see a good explanation for why your own laps got dirtied in Forza 3 if another car drafted you. It doesn't give you a speed advantage and made your career laps basically pointless for leaderboard times unless you played on easy and managed to get away from the pack enough to avoid the penalty.
javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
Been waiting for this a while. I'm downloading the demo tonight for sure and a day one purchase.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]....and have very recently found the joy of watching Top Gear....DarkCatalyst

Is that the Jesus Stig episode?

Yes. Great stuff.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

What the hell?

"Need to be a LIVE Gold membership to download demo"

Seriously MS? Seriously?? For a freakin' DEMO??? That's absurd. I've been meaning to resubscribe to Gold anyway for Gears 3 so in the end it's not that big of a deal, but since when are demos deemed necessary to pay for? Now I'm beginning to see the $ in Micro$oft.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DJ_Lae
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

What the hell?

Seriously MS? Seriously?? For a freakin' DEMO??? That's absurd. I've been meaning to resubscribe to Gold anyway for Gears 3 so in the end it's not that big of a deal, but since when are demos deemed necessary to pay for? Now I'm beginning to see the $ in Micro$oft.

Pretty sure they've always been that way - with a one week delay for Silver members. Forza 4 is an odd one in that there's only a couple of days where it's Gold only.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

What the hell?

DJ_Lae

Pretty sure they've always been that way - with a one week delay for Silver members. Forza 4 is an odd one in that there's only a couple of days where it's Gold only.

Ah OK if it's a week delay no biggie, I was afraid it was permanent.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Metamania

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

What the hell?

MirkoS77

Ah OK if it's a week delay no biggie, I was afraid it was permanent.

No worries. It's only a week delay. Besides, the game comes out next week. :)

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Metamania

So am I the only one that's picking up the LE for Forza 4?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxhound_fox
"Need to be a LIVE Gold membership to download demo"MirkoS77
Its been this way for YEARS now, lol. I've had to suffer many week-periods waiting for demos while everyone else is talking about them. >_>
teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

I downloaded the demo yesterday and had a lot of fun with it. I've never been into racers (I have Forza 3 which I tried but never played it again), but this one has me really interested, so much so that I will get it.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#31 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I played the demo. It was "meh". I miss kudos. I want Project Gotham Racing 5! Now!
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 foxhound_fox
I wish I had about $500 right now. Could really go for that Fanatec FM CSR wheel. Though, if I could the CSR shifter/pedal sets (instead of just the cheap Porsche ones), that would be fantastic. :lol: Still waiting on the demo. Two more days. :3
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]"Need to be a LIVE Gold membership to download demo"foxhound_fox
Its been this way for YEARS now, lol. I've had to suffer many week-periods waiting for demos while everyone else is talking about them. >_>

Yea I've always been a Gold subscriber until a few months ago, always thought demos were available to all at all times.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Metamania

IGN has reviewed Forza Motorsport 4 and gave it a 9.5 out of 10. You can read that review here.

Also, for some reason, the Gamespot text review is a review that I can't fully read just yet, but I did watch the video review. Justin Calvert scored it an 8.5 out of 10. I think that's less than Forza 3's score!

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I downloaded the demo and played it as well. What a fantastic game... I'm so impressed by every aspect. This is also the first racing game I've played where cockpit driving feels JUST AS GOOD as the behind-the-vehicle view. Although I'm not a huge racing fan, this is one of those games that seems too damn good to pass up.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Pretty sure they've always been that way - with a one week delay for Silver members.DJ_Lae

Yeah that's one of those awesome benefits to being gold:roll:

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
Looking forward to the full game coming out, I have the limited edition on order (shame it does not come with a keychain, my car keys are on the set with Forza 3 and its starting to look a little worn!)
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 argianas

Reviews seem to be very positive. GS seems to be the lowest thus far, knocking it for stuff like no weather/night effects and a lot of repeated content (5 new tracks, and other tracks were removed like New York and I think LeMans). Losing LeMans is sad.

One thing of note is that there's no more car levels (thankfully, since you can max out a car fast), but instead manufacturer levels up to 50. What's very interesting is that getting to level 4 makes all part modifications free, which just seems surprising on the face of things. Essentially you won't have to pay to mod your car anymore, just buy the cars themselves.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/endangered-species-forza-motorsport/721682 Magnificent trailer. I love it.

Best trailer I've seen in a LONG time. Damn.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Reviews seem to be very positive. GS seems to be the lowest thus far, knocking it for stuff like no weather/night effects and a lot of repeated content (5 new tracks, and other tracks were removed like New York and I think LeMans). Losing LeMans is sad.

One thing of note is that there's no more car levels (thankfully, since you can max out a car fast), but instead manufacturer levels up to 50. What's very interesting is that getting to level 4 makes all part modifications free, which just seems surprising on the face of things. Essentially you won't have to pay to mod your car anymore, just buy the cars themselves.

argianas

Le Mans is still in the game, last I heard. The Circuit de la Sarthe (endurance circuit) remains, but the Bugatti Circuit is no longer part of the ribbon selection.

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 argianas

[QUOTE="argianas"]

gpuFX16

Le Mans is still in the game, last I heard. The Circuit de la Sarthe (endurance circuit) remains, but the Bugatti Circuit is no longer part of the ribbon selection.

That's good to hear, but also a little puzzling. I would imagine that Sarthe has royalty fees to go with it, but NYC wouldn't. So why drop it, especially since (as far as I can tell) NYC was a popular track in previous games?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox
NYC was a popular track in previous games?argianas
I DESPISED the "new" New York track introduced in FM3. The old track was great, but those added chicanes were completely unnecessary. It didn't help that it was in almost every series either. The long straights and low amount of corners on the "old" were especially good for American cars. I will only mourn the loss of the "old" lol. Anyways, the GS review confounds me. Granted I haven't even tried the demo yet... but from what has been described in previews would have had me believe that 4 was as much of an upgrade over 3, as 3 was over 2. But then again, I doubt I'll be getting it till next spring anyways (like I did with 3). Too many other games this winter, and I still have a ton of things left to do in 3 (like I had with 2).
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="argianas"]NYC was a popular track in previous games?foxhound_fox
I DESPISED the "new" New York track introduced in FM3. The old track was great, but those added chicanes were completely unnecessary. It didn't help that it was in almost every series either. The long straights and low amount of corners on the "old" were especially good for American cars. I will only mourn the loss of the "old" lol. Anyways, the GS review confounds me. Granted I haven't even tried the demo yet... but from what has been described in previews would have had me believe that 4 was as much of an upgrade over 3, as 3 was over 2. But then again, I doubt I'll be getting it till next spring anyways (like I did with 3). Too many other games this winter, and I still have a ton of things left to do in 3 (like I had with 2).

I loved those extra chicanes. I carved through everything with my Evo X. :)
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gpuFX16

I was'nt a fan of the FM3's chicane-infested New York either. *Boots up World Tour* *R3 World Championship* *New York- 13 laps*

.... >_> 13 laps around THAT? Ugh.

As far as the review goes, I'm personally not put off, but it is rather strange. The series has always been highly rated. Being a racing game, you wont see sweeping changes as much as other games.Judging from previews, there's been a good amount of additions. The cars demand smoother input thanks to the new physics (As far as I can tell from playing the demo). There's been a bump up in the graphics. I could go on.

Not gonna change 8.5, but I'll be enjoying this game either way next week.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DJ_Lae
Actually, that reminds me of one other thing I hope was fixed from Forza 3 - the broken PIs with AWD swaps. You'd gain the ability to completely cut corners, drive without TCS without any actual finesse required, but your car's PI would actually DECREASE due to the weight gain, although the weight caused an insignificant loss in actual performance. I realize there's always going to be glitches with such a system (like Forza 1's infamous CRX engine swap) but it makes leaderboards no fun at all when certain drivetrains and/or specific car models dominate due to imbalance.
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 argianas

Actually, that reminds me of one other thing I hope was fixed from Forza 3 - the broken PIs with AWD swaps. You'd gain the ability to completely cut corners, drive without TCS without any actual finesse required, but your car's PI would actually DECREASE due to the weight gain, although the weight caused an insignificant loss in actual performance. I realize there's always going to be glitches with such a system (like Forza 1's infamous CRX engine swap) but it makes leaderboards no fun at all when certain drivetrains and/or specific car models dominate due to imbalance.DJ_Lae

If I recall, some F3 leaderboards were totally dominated by a Mazda R1 car because an engine swap brought it down a couple of classes, but it totally outperformed others in the category. A Koenigsegg was the same way. And yeah, the AWD swap was always an improvement despite the PI drop. I think a Golf dominated a lower-level leaderboard for the same reasons.

That combined with the crazy rule where opponents drafting breaking your leaderboard time were the two biggest glitches in the system that I recall.

One thing I didn't like was that you couldn't add a number of parts to a car without buying them to see what the total effect it has on the car stats, then buying them all at once (like an online shopping cart system). But I guess since parts are essentially free this time it doesn't matter as much from here on.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gpuFX16

^Have'nt been on the official forums in a bit, but I remember reading somewhere that AWD swaps actually increase PI this time around. Don't take my word on that though.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DJ_Lae

That combined with the crazy rule where opponents drafting breaking your leaderboard time were the two biggest glitches in the system that I recall.

argianas
Yeah, that specific flag for a dirty lap had BETTER be gone. Man was it annoying.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 foxhound_fox

Finally got to try the demo.

Must get ASAP.

Those physics are stunning. And I felt exactly what Jeremy Clarkson was talking about in the Pagani Zonda Cinque. The interior views are... astonishing. I think I may have to trade in Driver: SF to get it though (as I don't see myself playing it anytime soon, or again really). I find it interesting how they still offer manual w/clutch for cars that don't have a clutch (i.e. Ferrari 458 or Pagani Zonda Cinque). And that Bernese tracks is beautiful.

EDIT: The Zonda Cinque is a fantastic car. Way more rewarding to drive than the Zonda in FM3 (which had a terrible cockpit view). Makes me wonder just how much better the other cars have become.

argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 argianas

Seems that importing your Forza 3 save will get you the Fiat 500, Focus RS, Camero SS, R8 Quattro, Veyron, and three racers depending on your level. Also a few cars that you have in Forza 3 will transfer to Forza 4, but they all seem to be DLC/VIP cars at first glance (458, LF-A, ZR1, etc.).

Also, I won't be getting 1000 GS in this game. There's an achievement for using Kinect (of course there is!), and another one is for winning a unicorn car in the auction house. Well then!

And yeah, New York and Sidewinder aren't updated for F4 (though Sidewinder wasn't even used in F3's career mode so I'm actually not tired of that one). The long version of Amalfi didn't make the cut, nor did the shorter Bugatti track for Le Mans. Otherwise, it seems everything else made it through.

GS has a nice list of the cars that you get to choose from at each level, and their in-game costs. Some levels have one car worth much higher than the others (like level 11, the Stratos is 240k and the next car is 38k).