The best Rpg story...

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FatalFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FatalFist
Member since 2006 • 248 Posts
I guess the best story an rpg ever acheaved....that would be Jade Empire or KOTOR...
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 giyanks22
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
I think KOTOR II was the best RPG story.
savinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 savinger
Member since 2007 • 1309 Posts
I havent played as many rpgs as the next guy, but my favorite was FFX
akatsuki0wn3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 akatsuki0wn3d
Member since 2006 • 1151 Posts
Tales of Symphonia IMO
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

I havent played as many rpgs as the next guy, but my favorite was FFXsavinger

same but my favorite were FF IV, NWN 2, The Witcher

bugtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 bugtrip
Member since 2004 • 1260 Posts
Gothic 1 probably had the most engrossing story I've ever seen.
Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

Tales of Symphonia IMOakatsuki0wn3d

He said RPG.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Definitely Suikoden II. Best RPG story ever with a story that was sane, a story and characters I cared about, and touching.

Suikoden III comes second.

DiabolicalX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 DiabolicalX
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts
prolly FF IX and the Witcher
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="akatsuki0wn3d"]Tales of Symphonia IMOKreatzion

He said RPG.

And so what? ToS is a JRPG if i'm not mistaken

homma_cavoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 homma_cavoola
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I would have to say Plainscape : Bitter Torment had the best storyline or premise I've ever seen.

Yes it's D&D orientated, and old, as it was build on the Baldur's gate engine. But the ability to con people out of cash for your corpse never gets old. Plus the game actually allows you to WILL someone into existance.

macmac_73191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 macmac_73191
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i think it would be the suikoden series. the stories are very touching... thats what rpg meant.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

[QUOTE="akatsuki0wn3d"]Tales of Symphonia IMOKreatzion

He said RPG.

He also said best story. :P

As far as I'm concerned, the Tales series are RPGs. Much more so than say, Odin Sphere, which people keep calling an RPG.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Yeah, Planescape Torment is my favourite fantasy rpg story. Fallout was pretty good as well.As far as jRPGs go, I'd go for FFVII.
3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts
Suikoden 3, Baldur's Gate 2, and Mass Effect are all very compelling. I haven't played Torment yet, but I'll soon be rectifying that.
buckybuckster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 buckybuckster
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts
Sega's "FF7", a.k.a...Panzer Dragoon Saga/Azel. Excellent storyline coupled with a innovative (for the time) battle system that blurred the lines between turn based and real-time gameplay. Can anyone remember back to the days when if asked who were the best developers of RPG's you could mention Sega and Square in the same sentence without laughing? Those were the days.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Tales of Symphonia IMOakatsuki0wn3d

I think aspects of the story was very good, however the storytelling was actually quite poor in the game, I also think that character development was poor in places. Otherwise, a great story though.

5UPERMARIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#18 5UPERMARIO
Member since 2006 • 1204 Posts
FFX
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
I've always liked FFVI's story the best
HoodedFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HoodedFigure
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts

The best RPG Stoyline would have to go to:----------> Final Fantasy 7

CLOUD STRIFE ROCKS!!!!!!!

GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

FF is overrated. It is just a bunch of metrosexual teens with spikey hair trying to save a variation of the same city/world whilst riding giant yellow chickens. Thanks, but no thanks. I think for the best RPG story I may have to say KOTOR takes the cake. Brilliant material, though the story telling could have used a little work. While another one of my favorites is not exactly an entire game, the Thieves Guild story line in Oblivion was very moving. KOTOR 2 is also up there, I think Kreia is one of the best video game characters out there.

A lot of people say Mass Effect, a game I actually played 3 consecutive times in a row, though I feel the story was actually pretty uninspired. In fact, if you pay attention a lot of the character names were recycled (albeit with different spellings) from KOTOR. Hmmm, that may have to be all for me.

fierro316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fierro316
Member since 2003 • 1727 Posts
Xenogears, Suikoden 2, Panzer Dragon Saga.
juiceb0xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 juiceb0xx
Member since 2007 • 129 Posts
I think that the best RPG stories I have played are Zelda:Ocarina of Time, and Final Fantasy 7, and I would probably rate Chrono Cross and Trigger up there as well.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Planescape Torment has the best story IMO.
The_Big_Cheeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Big_Cheeze
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts
id say FFVII had the best story.
fLaMbOaStiN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 fLaMbOaStiN
Member since 2008 • 687 Posts
Chrono Trigger!
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

prolly FF IX and the WitcherDiabolicalX

Final Fantasy IX and good story i think should never go together. Not to bash you for liking it, just saying that for me it was hard to really even care about any of the characters, and to me great characters = great story. But anyways back on topic, i think it would probably have to go to Final Fantasy III ( or 6 or w.e), Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

This will probably sound more than a little elitist, but I think that anyone who doesn't say Planescape: Torment must not have played the game.

It has copious amounts of dialogue (and even paragraphs of text descriptions of items and buildings and areas) and unlike almost every other game where I say "Yeah, it's written well" I actually mean it when I talk about Torment. The story is also unlike any other, and allows for user choice without falling into the typical WRPG trap of distancing you from characters and the main plot because everything is so generic.

Everyone should have a chance to play through the game - particularly the sequence involving the Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts, which is arguably one of the best sections of any game.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts

This will probably sound more than a little elitist, but I think that anyone who doesn't say Planescape: Torment must not have played the game.

It has copious amounts of dialogue (and even paragraphs of text descriptions of items and buildings and areas) and unlike almost every other game where I say "Yeah, it's written well" I actually mean it when I talk about Torment. The story is also unlike any other, and allows for user choice without falling into the typical WRPG trap of distancing you from characters and the main plot because everything is so generic.

Everyone should have a chance to play through the game - particularly the sequence involving the Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts, which is arguably one of the best sections of any game.

DJ_Lae

I agree. And now with all games getting voice acted more and with less writing Planescape will probably still have the best story ever written in a vg for ages to come.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

DJ_Lae

I have no problems with sounding elitist, so I totally agree: Planescape Torment is the best by a huge margin. :P

Other than that...hm...this gen we've had The Witcher and Mask of the Betrayer, which were also outstanding.

A lot of people say Mass Effect, a game I actually played 3 consecutive times in a row, though I feel the story was actually pretty uninspired. In fact, if you pay attention a lot of the character names were recycled (albeit with different spellings) from KOTOR. Hmmm, that may have to be all for me.

GSU28

If you pay attention to Mass Effect at all, you'll notice that the entire plot was recycled from Neverwinter Nights 1 - down to the location of the portal which the 'big bad' race is trying to use.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#34 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I'd say Planescape: Torment also. The game does Amnesia right. It has the perfect amount of humor, strangeness, a bit of battle and the rest plays outlike a great mystery where everything the player finds out leads up to more questions right until the very end.

If you pay attention to Mass Effect at all, you'll notice that the entire plot was recycled from Neverwinter Nights 1 - down to the location of the portal which the 'big bad' race is trying to use.

Planeforger

I honestly don't see it. In NWN the first good part of the story is tracking down a cure for a plague that is killing everyone in the cityin Mass Effect the first part of the story is finding evidence that Saren is rogue.

The second part of NWN is tracking down information of a cult in which one of the party's greatest allies slowly succumbs to depression and revenge and then switches sides. The Second part of Mass Effect is trying to stop Saren's numerous plans

Third part of NWN's story is gathering items because the characters know that the Source Stone is the place where the head of this evil cult originates. Third part of Mass Effect is about a surprise attack on the citadel where you find the keepers are supposed to be key in returning the Reapers but they have been modifed so Saren has to do the work himself.

Last fight takes place in another realm in NWN, last fight takes place in the capital of the universe....

I mean if you break down the story to very vague parts such as, tracking down things, finding out plans and portal. Then yes the stories are exactly alike... Too bad there are hours of dialogue, numerous characters and other plot twists that make them very different.

LordOfBlades4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LordOfBlades4
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

Does Fable count like an RPG

the-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the-Zero
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The best RPG Stoyline would have to go to:----------> Final Fantasy 7

CLOUD STRIFE ROCKS!!!!!!!

HoodedFigure
I agree!!
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

I mean if you break down the story to very vague parts such as, tracking down things, finding out plans and portal. Then yes the stories are exactly alike... Too bad there are hours of dialogue, numerous characters and other plot twists that make them very different.

smerlus

Hm yeah, ok, I was mainly referring to the overall 'traitor -> artifact hunt -> big reveal -> siege -> portal' structure which both games stick to...but I guess if you break down plots far enough they all start looking the game.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#38 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"]

Hm yeah, ok, I was mainly referring to the overall 'traitor -> artifact hunt -> big reveal -> siege -> portal' structure which both games stick to...but I guess if you break down plots far enough they all start looking the game.

The thing I like about Saren is that it is unknown how far the Reapers had control of him. I don't know if he actually believed he was saving organic creatures or it was a ruse while he was under mind control. I don't think he was an actual traitor because his character always did whatever he had to do to get the job done from the beginning. He was killing inocent people before he came in contact with the Reapers. I guess if you break it down to "artifact hunts" NWN and ME still handle them differently. NWN uses the old cliche where you gather items just to have them taken from you by the bad guy to further the plot. ME doesn't use this weak plot device and instead keeps it more like BG II where no matter what you do, it seems the antagonist is always one step ahead. Big Reveals take place in different parts of the story. NWN didn't feel like it had a big reveal but if it was, I think it would be about the time Lady Aribeth started her turn. That's when we find out what the cult is actually headed by and this happens in chapter 2. ME I would say has two big reveals, one is what the ship actually is and the one at the end on how the Reapers are supposed to come back. and Portals are in a ton of WRPG's...NWN2 had a few portal plot devises also
BanjoMumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#39 BanjoMumbo
Member since 2009 • 512 Posts

I think either Secret of Mana, Fallout 3, and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Morrowind's story is good, because you make up the story. Does Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas count as an RPG?

Pirlog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40 Pirlog
Member since 2007 • 80 Posts

Yes Morrowind's story was also very interesting and no San Andreas isn't an RPG is an action with RPG elements. For LordOfBlades4: fable is an RPG, you can see at Gamespot's game genre what they are, in this case action role playing.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#41 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I liked Parasite Eve's Story.
Kentisc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kentisc
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

Mass Effect has a good story.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Id have to throw down A little Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows Of Amn. Id give nods to Parasite Eve (I love you aya!) and Mass Effect (I love you weird blue alien girl!) though.
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts

I would say the witcher, a great but realistic feeling story

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#45 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
While I haven't yet played through Planescape: Torment, so far my favorite stories are the Baldur's Gate series and The Witcher.
kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kaskus
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
Xenosaga i think is my fave.... KOS-MOS ROCKS!!!
-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

A few stand out...

Final Fantasy 3

Legend of Dragoon

Chrono Trigger

and I really like Grandia 3... up until the ending.

FF7 suffers from a similar problem... really strong compelling story telling up until Aeris dies... and then it slowly peters out. The ending is almost a non-ending!

viper1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 viper1991
Member since 2005 • 372 Posts

I'm going to have to go with Planescape: Torment.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

I think the FF titles have usually had the best storylines but people aren't giving enough love to the Suikoden franchise. Some of the best plots right there.

Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts

Fallout 1

Morrowind is a close 2nd.

Planescape started out good but I lost interest and never beat it. I guess I should dig it out and give it another go.