Tales Series vs. Final Fantasy...Which do you prefer??

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I know longevity wise FF's have been really consistent. But more recent Tales games have been great. I'm sure FF's will get more votes but for those of you who are big fans of both series', which do you prefer?

Right now I just got a PS2 with FF12 and ToA and at this moment I can't stop plying ToA.

Also, even though FF IV and VII were 2 of my all time favorites, ToS is right there with them and I'm not sure what I liked more.

Overall series though to me would probably go to the FF series by an eyelash.

Skylarkell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Skylarkell
Member since 2007 • 2797 Posts

Can't choose. Love them both sooo much. (FFX, FFIV, FFVI) (ToS, ToA, ToV)

We need a tie vote.

Lord_Regnier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lord_Regnier
Member since 2006 • 1283 Posts
I love both but i'd have to say Final Fantasy.
FLCL_neku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FLCL_neku
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts
Tales series without a doubt...
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts

Final Fantasy.

The Tales series is very good though, don't make any mistake about that.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

FF, because that's the one I've been with longer, and FF got me into RPG's in the first place.

Though the Tales series is amazing as well.

xkojimax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 xkojimax
Member since 2006 • 1082 Posts
FF series. i'm not too much into the anime kind of thing.
Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Star Ocean...

I'd go with final fanatasy. never got into the Tales games. But i don't like the new FF's

kryu88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 kryu88
Member since 2006 • 9301 Posts
Despite having a Tales of the Abyss avatar/sig ( :P ), it's hard to pass up FF in terms of quality. Though the Tales of games (specifically the 3D ones) are really fun RPGs. Symphonia and Abyss are some of the best RPGs I've played with real-time battle systems. Their stories are pretty amazing too, beyond the average RPG anyway.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 roboccs

Despite having a Tales of the Abyss avatar/sig ( :P ), it's hard to pass up FF in terms of quality. Though the Tales of games (specifically the 3D ones) are really fun RPGs. Symphonia and Abyss are some of the best RPGs I've played with real-time battle systems. Their stories are pretty amazing too, beyond the average RPG anyway.kryu88

I agree with your statement to the T. Tales games are amazing but there is something about the quality of FF games. Abyss and Symphonia do have great stories. I finished SYmphonia and am only 5 hours into Abyss but I can't put it down right now and I have FFXII to play as well.

It is so close that I could call it a tie but put a gun to my head I would say FF.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#12 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
The Tales series. In My Humble Opinion, the FF series is quite over-rated. It's not because I don't like turn-based RPGs; I just think that FF games tend to focus more on the spectacle and the story than on the actual gameplay. I've played V, VI, and X (not beaten them) and none of them held my interest for long.
Soilworkcob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Soilworkcob
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts

[QUOTE="kryu88"]Despite having a Tales of the Abyss avatar/sig ( :P ), it's hard to pass up FF in terms of quality. Though the Tales of games (specifically the 3D ones) are really fun RPGs. Symphonia and Abyss are some of the best RPGs I've played with real-time battle systems. Their stories are pretty amazing too, beyond the average RPG anyway.roboccs

I agree with your statement to the T. Tales games are amazing but there is something about the quality of FF games. Abyss and Symphonia do have great stories. I finished SYmphonia and am only 5 hours into Abyss but I can't put it down right now and I have FFXII to play as well.

It is so close that I could call it a tie but put a gun to my head I would say FF.

Yup Yup. Agree! I'd give the nod to Final Fnatasy, but Tales games are still awesome. I've played every Final Fantasy and I;ve played Tales of Phantasia/Destiny/Eternia/Symphonia/Vesperia and I'm half way through Abyss, but I've only put about 12 hours into Legendia. I just played through Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia (that kinda' goes without saying concerning Vesperia) and they are awesome (when I rate them I'm going to give them both a 9/10), but then again I loved Final Fantasy XII as well, (I'd give it a 9.2/10).

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
It's tough. For the most part, a randomly selected FF game will be better than a randomly selected Tales game, but Symphonia is one of my favorite games ever. Tough one.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

I really don't think this should be debatable. The Tales games have always been somewhat mediocre, especially when put up against all the wonderful Final Fantasy games.

I mean, Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Symphonia were really great games, and I found myself being wholly immersed in the plot. I also found that there was quite a bit of character development, and even though there is a lot of the stereotypical rpg/anime type personalities (and other standard rpg conventions), I enjoyed it very much (though I haven't played that many rpg's, and I'm sure if I had then the Tales games would wear thin on me)

However, playing Tales of Eternia and Tales of Destiny made me want to break the games in half out of frustration from how bland and boring they were. I still have yet to play Tales of Legendia and Tales of the Abyss, so I can't say I have the full scope of all the Tales games. But I can say I really hate Namco Bandai for putting Tales of Versperia only on the 360, and that they keep all the Tales games for the DS Japan only. Grrr... :evil:

As for Final Fantasy... well, FF 3 on the DS was really the only one I didn't like, but that only tells me I don't like the incredibly old school battle grinding. The rest of the Final Fantasies were all magical in their own way, and each made me afraid to play another game for fear of making unjust comparisons between them. I still need to play FF 12 though; I'm waiting to make it my very last game for the ps2 before moving on to FF 13 and the ps3.

redfield_137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 redfield_137
Member since 2005 • 2269 Posts
The more recent Tales games are better than FF but you can't go past some of the older FF's. I'd have to go with Tales as my current preference but if you take the entirety of both franchises it's hard to separate them.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Square Enix has been dropping the ball with the recent FF games. Meanwhile, recent Tales games have been great. If you had this poll 10 years ago, I would've said FF. Nowadays, I give the nod to Tales.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
tales games are fun games but i think they dont look like masterpieces, so i would vote for FF series
Dantes_Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dantes_Girl
Member since 2005 • 4945 Posts
Tales series. Those games are more appealing to me than Final Fantasy.
ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

Uhmmmm......

Honestly Im going to say FF (1-10), but since then, Tales all the way

TargetDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 TargetDog
Member since 2003 • 10076 Posts
I'll have to go with Tales here. I just enjoy most Tales games (Phantasia, Eternia, Abyss, Symphonia, Vesperia) while the only one I remember not liking was Legendia, and even that one wasn't that bad. All the Tales games are far too similar, though. As far as FF goes, I enjoyed FFV and FFVII-FFX... FFI, II, III, IV, VI, XI and XII all struck me as boring and tedious to play.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
I would take ff over tales easy
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#23 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

This isn't even a question for me; Final Fantasy games are some of the best RPG's ever made. Even though I lost a fair amount of interest around FFX, FFI-IX are amazing.

Tales is ridiculous, and the story is terrible in every game

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#24 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Final Fantasy, duh. They tend to have stories that arent so cliched and terrible that only kids and pre teen can enjoy, unlike Tales.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
Tales becasue most (or is it all) are action-RPG. I hate turn-based. Hehe.
toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

I've never played a single Tales game, despite the fact that I wanted Tales of the Abyss and Symphonia. Symphonia isn't too hard to come by but whenever I try searching for Abyss, I either can't find it or it's too expensive. I did watch the Symphonia ova series though.

So for now, I would have to say that I prefer Final Fantasy.

NoClassesToday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NoClassesToday
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
well, did you know that Final Fantasy was supposed to be the last game of Square Enix. because square enix was about to be let's say" bankrupt" so they named the game FINAL fantasy because it was supposed to be their FINAL game but since FFI became famous. they again zoomed high. But let's see, tales games until now are still famous. FF games for me, are so much complicated nowadays. I like the battle system before than now because it became like an online battle system game. but Tales games are still good for me. and FF too. that's why I'm both a fan of them.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts
Although I like both immensely, I have to give the edge to FF. I have a soft spot for that franchise since it got me into RPGs in the first place. FFX and Symphonia are two of my top 3 games of all-time.
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts
Both are great, but Id have to go with Tales.
Zwei_Thanatos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zwei_Thanatos
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts
Tales, because it didn't go completely downhill.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts
I've only played one tales game. But from what I've seen, Tales is lacking in the creativity and originality that fuels Final Fantasy, although both are high quality games (FF having the larger budget).
Zwei_Thanatos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zwei_Thanatos
the creativity and originality that fuels Final Fantasyhakanakumono
Emo-kids that look like Gackt and wield ridiculous weapons = creativity and originality? :?
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#33 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
Final Fantasy. Could never get into the Tales series
notSFF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 notSFF
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts
With FF having 12 and Crisis Core, and Tales having Vesperia, it's REALLY hard to choose between them.
Chrono66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chrono66
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts
I'm going with Tales, I love the series, but I also can't stand Square-Enix anymore.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#36 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
I like both series but Final Fantasy got me into RPGs so FF is my pick.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]the creativity and originality that fuels Final FantasyZwei_Thanatos
Emo-kids that look like Gackt and wield ridiculous weapons = creativity and originality? :?

Who's emo? I mean the actual plot of the games, the locations in the games, certain scenarios etc. Yes, some of the more recent games (late 90s) have had sillier and more amateurish character design, but thats not what I'm talking about.

Zwei_Thanatos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zwei_Thanatos

[QUOTE="Zwei_Thanatos"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]the creativity and originality that fuels Final Fantasyhakanakumono

Who's emo? I mean the actual plot of the games, the locations in the games, certain scenarios etc. Yes, some of the more recent games (late 90s) have had sillier and more amateurish character design, but thats not what I'm talking about.

Ah, gotcha. I'd definitely rate:

pre-FF7 > Tales > post-FF7

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Zwei_Thanatos"]Emo-kids that look like Gackt and wield ridiculous weapons = creativity and originality? :?Zwei_Thanatos

I wouldn't, but I've only played Symphonia.

VII wasn't perfect, but it was a a fairly good game. Have you played VIII, IX, or X?

Zwei_Thanatos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zwei_Thanatos
[QUOTE="Zwei_Thanatos"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

VII wasn't perfect, but it was a a fairly good game. Have you played VIII, IX, or X?

I sort-of enjoyed FF9, but could only bother to play halfway into disc 2. Too cinematic for me. I beat both FF8 and FFX and still regret it, since the only reason I kept playing both was in the false hope that the game would get better again; i.e. it started out great but as soon as you leave the starting town, it just became a ness, story-wise. (had the same problem with FF7)
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hakanakumono
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"][QUOTE="Zwei_Thanatos"]Ah, gotcha. I'd definitely rate:

Zwei_Thanatos

I sort-of enjoyed FF9, but could only bother to play halfway into disc 2. Too cinematic for me. I beat both FF8 and FFX and still regret it, since the only reason I kept playing both was in the false hope that the game would get better again; i.e. it started out great but as soon as you leave the starting town, it just became a ness, story-wise. (had the same problem with FF7)

VIII had a great story imo. VII was sort of a mess storywise, but only because it was badly translated like many PS1 games.

Ironically, when playing symphonia I couldn't help but feelt the plot elements were simply picked up from some of the aformentioned games you dislike (I specifically remember IX, and X)

IX starts out good, but I hated the ending.

Many games in the PS1 era had a very cinematic feel, due to the 3D power of the Playstation and the fmv capabilities of the disc format. I personally love it.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 roboccs
Wow. I made this thread months ago and it is still kicking! I thought truely that FF would kill Tales but I'm glad to see there are so many Tales fans out there. Like I said before, I would say FF is better by an eyelash but I keep moving closer and closer to Tales every day. ToA and ToS2 are the only games I'm playing right now and they are both great.
pumaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pumaf
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I'd prefer tales, just cause of SYMPHONIA AND VESPERIA!
Airacomet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Airacomet
Member since 2004 • 7047 Posts

Tales simply because the characters and battle system are better IMO

Son1x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Son1x
Member since 2006 • 95 Posts

Tales.

Why? Rather fun battle system and the most important thing, co-op.

wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wagepeace
Member since 2007 • 885 Posts

I'm really surprised the FF fans didn't show up in astounding numbers on this one. The numbers are actually really close. Tales... are much more popular than I gave them credit for.

However, I have to give my vote to FF. (VI, VII, VIII, X)

infested_ramza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 infested_ramza
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts
I don't think I can choose. Both series are amazing, and for the most part always make great games. If I had to pick, I would say Tales, just because my first RPG was Tales of Phantasia.
Reiji-Arisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Reiji-Arisu
Member since 2009 • 651 Posts
Tales series because i like the battle system.