SNES vs Genesis/MD: Game Quality

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]In the real world I think it's fair to say things are objectively good. Mario is a great example. You bring up level design. The further you get, the more difficult the rhythms become. They are designed like a book about learning music, in the sense that the players skill set improves over the span of the game. Lucianu

' Video games on their own may be objects with set values, just numbers and algorithms, but they dont function completely until people play them, and people have unique and different points of view - its what makes us people, and its also what makes playing video games so damn interesting and fun. Games are ultimately subjective experiences, meaning that at some point objective analysis falls apart. '

A quote i picked up a wile ago, forgot from who. 

The groundwork is there, though. Whether or not someone Likes or dislikes a given game is irrelevant. There's nothing that detracts from gameplay, of which is rooted in a rhythmic nature. Games are classics for a reason--Pacman, galaga, Mario bros, Tetris, etc. games which exhibit design which is universal and does not age. Rules are laid out by the game and do not falter do to technicalities.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Valknut4"]

Grey seal in a nut shell "I argue about facts over art! Cause its 100% objective in all cases from professional reviews to the common user review. You can quote anything an its all objective. Even one famous developer saying one game is perfect means nothing as its objective."

So why ever bring it up? Why ever even run off on people for stating something is good? You know he cannot proove it, you know you cannot dissprove it.

You are talking about nothing. How can you not see that?

GreySeal9

you do realize you're agreeing with Greyseal, right?

BTW, riplas, I've been meaning to ask you: what do you think of Shadowrun Returns so far?

Personally, I think the visuals look too shiny. It needs to have that more gritty feel that the original did.

On the gameplay side I love it

on the graphics side, I don't like the environments or the animations. The enviornments are too sterile, there's no flickering lights, no constantly shifting computer screens, it's like we're looking at a water painting.

And the way the characters move in relation to their speed feels unnatural, I hope they fix that, but with that said, I really liked the gameplay I saw, so I'm willing to overlook it.

With that said, I think the devs should probably take a look at Shadowrun Online, I think the graphics and the graphical style looks much better in that game

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

And no, I am not talking about nothing. I am saying that opinions/=/fact. How can you not see that?

GreySeal9

I said you keep saying the same thing over an over like a broken record. An I asked "why?" You give me a 5 page essay on why I can't pick up on what you're saying. Woooooooooooooosh. The question still stands, why bother? Why do you care? Opinions are opinions. Some people think the bible is fact, go argue with them about that see how far you get.

Your fact isn't everyones fact. Time to get out of your center of the universe complex. Yes qoute the definition of fact for me PLEASE. I know you want to. My point an question super seeds your retarted view of Herrian has to agree with MY FACTS, cause HIS FACTS aren't FACTS in my eyes.

Case closed I guess, Apparently niether one of us can read. 

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 rilpas

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

And no, I am not talking about nothing. I am saying that opinions/=/fact. How can you not see that?

Valknut4

I said you keep saying the same thing over an over like a broken record. An I asked "why?"

Because I stated an opinion and got told "that's just your opinion" and when I said told them the same they denied it, stating their opinion is fact.

Instead of going off on tangents maybe you should actually read the entire dialog?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#105 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Valknut4

I said you keep saying the same thing over an over like a broken record. An I asked "why?" You give me a 5 page essay on why I can't pick up on what you're saying. Woooooooooooooosh. The question still stands, why bother? Why do you care? Opinions are opinions. Some people think the bible is fact, go argue with them about that see how far you get.

Your fact isn't everyones fact. Time to get out of your center of the universe complex. Yes qoute the definition of fact for me PLEASE. I know you want to. My point an question super seeds your retarted view of Herrian has to agree with MY FACTS, cause HIS FACTS aren't FACTS in my eyes.

Case closed I guess, Apparently niether one of us can read. 

Speak for yourself. I can read just fine.

It also has nothing to do with Heirren facts agreeing with my facts. Neither me nor Heirren can have our own facts. Something is either a fact or it isn't. I'm sorry that you think I have a center of the universe complex simply for knowing what a fact is.

But anyway, the conversation never really concerned you and it's obvious that reading comprehension is not your thing, so yes, I guess you could say case closed.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#106 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"] you do realize you're agreeing with Greyseal, right?rilpas

BTW, riplas, I've been meaning to ask you: what do you think of Shadowrun Returns so far?

Personally, I think the visuals look too shiny. It needs to have that more gritty feel that the original did.

On the gameplay side I love it

on the graphics side, I don't like the environments or the animations. The enviornments are too sterile, there's no flickering lights, no constantly shifting computer screens, it's like we're looking at a water painting.

And the way the characters move in relation to their speed feels unnatural, I hope they fix that, but with that said, I really liked the gameplay I saw, so I'm willing to overlook it.

With that said, I think the devs should probably take a look at Shadowrun Online, I think the graphics and the graphical style looks much better in that game

That Shadowrun Online clip looks soooo much more like Shadowrun is supposed to.

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

Because I stated an opinion and got told "that's just your opinion" and when I said told them the same they denied it, stating their opinion is fact.

Instead of going off on tangents maybe you should actually read the entire dialog?

rilpas

Well none of that was directed at you at all, So I'm not sure what you are talking about. An when someone says " That's just your opinion" Why talk to them at all, if they cannot figure out what opinion vs general consensus vs facts are, what makes you want to argue with a person like that? An its pretty clear there is 0 disscussion going on here, its far more emotional for the 3 of you.

Hell for all you know I could just be trolling greyseal, the question is, an still is. Why bother? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Valknut4

Well none of that was directed at you at all, So I'm not sure what you are talking about. An when someone says " That's just your opinion" Why talk to them at all, if they cannot figure out what opinion vs general consensus vs facts are, what makes you want to argue with a person like that? An its pretty clear there is 0 disscussion going on here, its far more emotional for the 3 of you.

Hell for all you know I could just be trolling greyseal, the question is, an still is. Why bother? 

Actually, a lot of the regular Legacy dwellers can bicker back and fourth like that quite often. There's no hard feelings, ever.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Valknut4

that's the problem, you're not reading this thread, you're reading grey seal's posts out of context, which is what my post was trying to tell you, but I guess you didn't read that either

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#110 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
Sega does what Nintendon't!
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Sega does what Nintendon't!godzillavskong

Nintendoes what Sega can't. ;) :P

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Ummm, it's not even close. I mean the Genesis had its fair share of gems, but the SNES kicked the living **** out of the Genesis. 

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#114 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Ummm, it's not even close. I mean the Genesis had its fair share of gems, but the SNES kicked the living **** out of the Genesis. 

emgesp

11qqts9.jpg

Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning. :)

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

[QUOTE="emgesp"]

Renegade_Fury

11qqts9.jpg

What was funny about what I said?
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="emgesp"]

emgesp

11qqts9.jpg

All of it, of course. :)

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#117 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts

obviously SNES in quantity and quality!

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#118 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Both consoles have some personal masterpieces (Super Castlevania 4, Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 2...) but i think i had more fun with Megadrive, overal.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#119 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="emgesp"]

emgesp

11qqts9.jpg

I think the humor was in that the SNES "kicked the living *** out of the Genesis."

If I had to choose, I would choose the SNES as well. But it's not a landslide victory over Genesis, like you're making it. The Genesis also had a VERY strong game library.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

They really are very even consoles I think.

Even now my opinion changes back and forth between the two machines, for instance last year I would've totally given the platformer genre to the SNES, based on the fact that generally SNES platformers tend to have a more even difficulty curve, higher numbers of games with save state, presentation etc, but then I was involved in yet another discussion about the two and we came to the conclusion that Genesis platformers offer a wider, and more even-spread of variety of genre themes than SNES ones, on SNES the majority are cartoon, or anime styled, on Genesis you get those, plus a lot of classical fantasy, sci-fi, and cops and stuff (SNES certainly has some platformers with these themes but the majority fall into those two earlier brackets).

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#121 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]actually that's an opinion, not a fact

Emerald_Warrior

Those are high quality games no matter how you look at them... How is that an opinion? They are timeless because they age very well. Even with all the technology of today, there has not been a better looking sonic game, a better looking super mario world, streets of rage, and etc. They all share that attention to detail aspect. Everything was very well thought out. Its like movies, there are those movies where they really will never be topped by anything of the same genre.

Genesis had a lot more quality, Super Nintendo had that "trumpet syndrome," which killed most good games for me. Trumpet syndrome sums it up quite nicely, I always just referred it as the pitch of the sound was always higher on SNES multiplats, even the color scheme. Genesis wins because it was able to stand up to a much heavier champion and even beat them at their own game, Sonic made Mario look like an old man!

Definetly a difference of opinion on the audio. I love both systems. But one thing that stands out the most as being weaker on Genesis than on SNES, IMO, is the audio. A LOT of games on the Genesis sound tinny and metallic sounding almost. Many of the sound effects are also very similar on many Genesis games (the "explosion" sound always sounds similar and generic on most Genesis games, for example). While on the other hand the SNES seemed very versatile in the audio department. You could have charming chip tunes like on Super Mario World, orchestral music like in the FF games, rocking upbeat tunes like F-Zero, and the just plain impressive sounding like in Donkey Kong Country.

However the Sonic the Hedgehog games stand out as prime examples of what the Genesis was capable of audially. It's just too bad that so many Genesis game developers couldn't squeeze the same audio quality out of the Genesis as Sega themselves could with the Sonic games.

Also, Streets of Rage had some of the best upbeat music of that era. As for third-party developers, Zero Wing on MD sounded even better than the arcade version while Ys III on MD also sounded better than the SNES version. I'd say the MD/Gen was better when it came to the more upbeat music, while the SNES was better when it came to the more ambient/classical/downbeat music. Either way, the PC Engine trumps both of them in the audio department.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Those are high quality games no matter how you look at them... How is that an opinion? They are timeless because they age very well. Even with all the technology of today, there has not been a better looking sonic game, a better looking super mario world, streets of rage, and etc. They all share that attention to detail aspect. Everything was very well thought out. Its like movies, there are those movies where they really will never be topped by anything of the same genre.

Genesis had a lot more quality, Super Nintendo had that "trumpet syndrome," which killed most good games for me. Trumpet syndrome sums it up quite nicely, I always just referred it as the pitch of the sound was always higher on SNES multiplats, even the color scheme. Genesis wins because it was able to stand up to a much heavier champion and even beat them at their own game, Sonic made Mario look like an old man!

Jag85

Definetly a difference of opinion on the audio. I love both systems. But one thing that stands out the most as being weaker on Genesis than on SNES, IMO, is the audio. A LOT of games on the Genesis sound tinny and metallic sounding almost. Many of the sound effects are also very similar on many Genesis games (the "explosion" sound always sounds similar and generic on most Genesis games, for example). While on the other hand the SNES seemed very versatile in the audio department. You could have charming chip tunes like on Super Mario World, orchestral music like in the FF games, rocking upbeat tunes like F-Zero, and the just plain impressive sounding like in Donkey Kong Country.

However the Sonic the Hedgehog games stand out as prime examples of what the Genesis was capable of audially. It's just too bad that so many Genesis game developers couldn't squeeze the same audio quality out of the Genesis as Sega themselves could with the Sonic games.

Also, Streets of Rage had some of the best upbeat music of that era. As for third-party developers, Zero Wing on MD sounded even better than the arcade version while Ys III on MD also sounded better than the SNES version. I'd say the MD/Gen was better when it came to the more upbeat music, while the SNES was better when it came to the more ambient/classical/downbeat music. Either way, the PC Engine trumps both of them in the audio department.

With a CD attachment it does. However, I've never heard a HuCard game that's come close to music of Sonic games, Donkey Kong Country games, or Final Fantasy games.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 rilpas

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

With a CD attachment it does. However, I've never heard a HuCard game that's come close to music of Sonic games, Donkey Kong Country games, or Final Fantasy games.

Blazing lasers had a pretty good main theme

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

You're right. The PCE's internal sound chip wasn't that great (though it did produce some great soundtracks), but it was the CD add-on that made all the difference. Unlike the Sega CD, the CD add-on was central to the PCE, with its CD library greatly outnumbering its HuCard library.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

11qqts9.jpg

Renegade_Fury

I think you are blinded by your childhood. I was too young to own either console, so I'm playing them now later. The SNES is obviously the better console by simply having more high quality games.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 rilpas

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="emgesp"] What was funny about what I said? YoshiYogurt

I think you are blinded by your childhood. I was too young to own either console, so I'm playing them now later. The SNES is obviously the better console by simply having more high quality games.

I think you're the one that's blind

no no wait. let me rephrase that: We're all sure that you're the one who's blind.

Oh and by the way, I was an snes kid when I was younger

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="emgesp"] What was funny about what I said? YoshiYogurt

Oh, so I have to be blinded by something for not sharing your opinion, huh? Oooh, how dare I not suck Nintendo's dick. :lol:

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 YoshiYogurt

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

rilpas

no no wait. let me rephrase that: We're all sure that you're the one who's blind

Nope, sorry. The Genesis has inferior graphics and sound, along with an inferior controller. Where are the good games this system supposedly offers? It's got all the sonics, a castlevania, and for rpgs, shining force and phantasy star. Not much else worthy of purchasing. One thing the Genesis does better is beat-em ups. Streets of rage is really good.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] I think you are blinded by your childhood. I was too young to own either console, so I'm playing them now later. The SNES is obviously the better console by simply having more high quality games. YoshiYogurt

no no wait. let me rephrase that: We're all sure that you're the one who's blind

Nope, sorry. The Genesis has inferior graphics and sound, along with an inferior controller. Where are the good games this system supposedly offers? It's got all the sonics, a castlevania, and for rpgs, shining force and phantasy star. Not much else worthy of purchasing. One thing the Genesis does better is beat-em ups. Streets of rage is really good.

And even with the inferior graphics and controller is still managed to be superior to the SNES, thank you for only helping my point in further!

But I understand, you have a low IQ and therefore can't comprehend how awesome the genesis is

Dj-CrunkyTIGER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Dj-CrunkyTIGER
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

I think you are blinded by your childhood. I was too young to own either console, so I'm playing them now later. The SNES is obviously the better console by simply having more high quality games. YoshiYogurt

I need proof of inferior graphics. I have seen nothing on the SNES that shows a gap. from later Genesis games. All SNES has a mario, a Zelda, and a bad F-zero game that was nothing but a tech demo along with pilot wings, Nothing else worth playing. One thing the SNES does better is tech demos. Mode 7 f-zero looked good. but that's it.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Emerald_Warrior

Dj-CrunkyTIGER

I need proof of inferior graphics. I have seen nothing on the SNES that shows a gap. from later Genesis games. All SNES has a mario, a Zelda, and a bad F-zero game that was nothing but a tech demo along with pilot wings, Nothing else worth playing. One thing the SNES does better is tech demos. Mode 7 f-zero looked good. but that's it.

http://www.cointalk.com/attachments/226814d1357346864-double_facepalm.jpg

Not just for the last post, but also for the post before it. Wow.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 rilpas

Dj-CrunkyTIGER

Please, just because Yoshi is an idiot, don't be one yourself

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 YoshiYogurt
[QUOTE="Dj-CrunkyTIGER"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

The SNES has Super Metroid, Multiple Final Fantasies, Donkey Kong country 3 OF EM!, Kirby, Mega Man(Tons of em), Castlevania 4, Mario RPG, Mario All stars, Yoshi's Island ,Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger. Please list what the Genesis had over THAT list of amazing games instead of posting silly Picard pictures.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 rilpas

[QUOTE="Dj-CrunkyTIGER"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] Nope, sorry. The Genesis has inferior graphics and sound, along with an inferior controller. Where are the good games this system supposedly offers? It's got all the sonics, a castlevania, and for rpgs, shining force and phantasy star. Not much else worthy of purchasing. One thing the Genesis does better is beat-em ups. Streets of rage is really good.YoshiYogurt

The SNES has Super Metroid, Multiple Final Fantasies, Donkey Kong country 3 OF EM!, Kirby, Mega Man(Tons of em), Castlevania 4, Mario RPG, Mario All stars, Yoshi's Island ,Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger. Please list what the Genesis had over THAT list of amazing games instead of posting silly Picard pictures.

A castlevania that's better than the SNES' for one. A contra that's better than the SNES' for two.

the best SHMUPs of its time (well... maybe that honor goes to the TG-16, but we're just comparing sega to Nintendo)

the best beat'em ups of its time.

it had the best WRPGs with a Starflight remake, Shadowrun, D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Buck Rogers, and a remake of Sid Meier's Pirates.

the best run and gun games out of two system with games like the previously mentioned contra but also Midnight resistance and Gunstar heroes

You can mention butloads of megaman games, but really one of them is really great, Megaman X, X-2, X-3 and 7 range from okay to good-ish

or maybe you just want a list war? fine: Alisia Dragoon, Aladdin, Arcus Odyssey, Alien Soldier, Buck Rogers Castle of Illusion, Columns, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hardcorps, Comix Zone, Crusader of Centy, Chiki Chiki boys, Dune 2, Golden Axe, General Chaos, Herzog Zwei, Legend of Oasis, Light Crusader, Landstalker, Mazin Saga, Megaman Willy Wars, MUSHA, Mutant League Football, Outrun, Phantasy Star 2 and 4, Pier Solar, Quackshot, Ristar, Ranger X, Rocket Knight Adventures, Shining Force 1 and 2, Shining in the darkness Shadowrun, Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Super Monaco GP, Super Monaco GP 2, shinobi 2, Shinobi 3, Shadow Dancer, Splatterhouse 2&3, Strider, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Toejam & Earl 1 and 2, Trouble Shooter, Thunder Force 3 and 4, Wonder boy 4, Wings of Wor, Warsong, World of Illusion, Vectorman, Vectorman 2, X-men 2

It'll be fun seeing you just shrug this list off, saying they're all "overrated" or something

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#135 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

The SNES has Super Metroid, Multiple Final Fantasies, Donkey Kong country 3 OF EM!, Kirby, Mega Man(Tons of em), Castlevania 4, Mario RPG, Mario All stars, Yoshi's Island ,Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger. Please list what the Genesis had over THAT list of amazing games instead of posting silly Picard pictures.YoshiYogurt

And the Genesis has Thunderforce III & IV, MUSHA, Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, Shining Force II, Alisia Dragoon, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Revenge of Shinobi, Battle Mania Daiginjou, Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2 & Bare Knuckle III, Alien Soldier, Castlevania - Bloodlines and Beyond Oasis. 

Off the top of my head. And in my opinion, Battle Mania Daiginjou, Shinobi III and Alien Soldier alone dwarf your list.

But that's besides the point, both have the exact same number of quality games, and both are excellent. You can argue all day. 

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 rilpas

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]The SNES has Super Metroid, Multiple Final Fantasies, Donkey Kong country 3 OF EM!, Kirby, Mega Man(Tons of em), Castlevania 4, Mario RPG, Mario All stars, Yoshi's Island ,Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger. Please list what the Genesis had over THAT list of amazing games instead of posting silly Picard pictures.Lucianu

And the Genesis has Thunderforce III & IV, MUSHA, Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, Shining Force II, Alisia Dragoon, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Revenge of Shinobi, Battle Mania Daiginjou, Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2 & Bare Knuckle III, Alien Soldier, Castlevania - Bloodlines and Beyond Oasis. 

Off the top of my head. And in my opinion, Battle Mania Daiginjou, Shinobi III and Alien Soldier alone dwarf your list.

But that's besides the point, both have the exact same number of quality games, and both are excellent. You can argue all day. 

exactly, you can name games all day long, but in the end the two are so close in quality tittles that it all boils down to preference.

the SNES is the clear winner in Fighting games, JRPGs and in platformers

the Genesis is the clear winner in Beat'em ups, SHMUPS, action platformers

from there on it becomes a sort of nitpicky argument. Personally, I think Shadowrun was the best console game of its time and I also think Contra and Castlevania for the Genesis were better games, but that's just me

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#137 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

Tides of Time never gets the respect it deserves, I thought it had more atmosphere than Super Metroid personally.

The first Ecco kind of sucks on Mega Drive though IMO, the CD version was a big improvement but Tides of Time still crushed that too.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

SNES wins.  The SNES has games that are just as playable today as they were back then.  Mario World beats Sonic due to the big open world map and tons of secret levels.  The system had great RPG's like FF series, Chrono Trigger, and the Mana games.  With the exception of Mortal Kombat 1 and Samurai Showdown 1, the SNES had better versions of fighters due to a standard 6 button controller and newer hardware.  Voice clips do not sound scratchy like they do on the Genesis.  The Mortal Kombat games did not even have the announcer at all.  Genesis games tended to have a higher pitched sound to it.  Some games sounded more 8 bit, than 16 bit.  SNES music seem to be diverse with its instrumentation, although a lot of early games did suffer from too much use of the trumpet tone.  Ken's stage in Street Fighter 2, The World Warrior is particularly annoying.  Super Street Fighter 2 sounded much better.  Maximum Carnage sounded a lot worse on Genesis. 

The SNES game library stands the test of time better than Genesis does.  Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star, Super Metroid Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, the Donkey Kong Contry trilogy, Super Castlvania 4, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Legend of Zelda, and the Mega Man X trilogy are just as playable today as they were when they came out.  The same cannot be said of the Genesis.  Games such as Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, The Revenge of Shinobi, and Flicky might have been cool back then, but they are not that playable in the world we live in now.  Shinobi 3, Ristar, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Blood Lines, and Contra Hard Corps are still pretty good though.  

The 16 bit era still remains the best one due to the fact that a lot of the games have aged well.  The fifth generation of consoles has aged the worst out of any of them so far. 

rilpas

What? I still play Streets of Rage 2 to this very day... more so than any SNES game, in fact,

same goes to Golden Axe and Revenge of Shinobi.

Also, Flicky was never popular even during its day, so I don't really see the point in mentioning it

Revenge of Shinobi plays slow and God awful by today's standards.  Shinobi 3 beats it by miles.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

SNES wins.  The SNES has games that are just as playable today as they were back then.  Mario World beats Sonic due to the big open world map and tons of secret levels.  The system had great RPG's like FF series, Chrono Trigger, and the Mana games.  With the exception of Mortal Kombat 1 and Samurai Showdown 1, the SNES had better versions of fighters due to a standard 6 button controller and newer hardware.  Voice clips do not sound scratchy like they do on the Genesis.  The Mortal Kombat games did not even have the announcer at all.  Genesis games tended to have a higher pitched sound to it.  Some games sounded more 8 bit, than 16 bit.  SNES music seem to be diverse with its instrumentation, although a lot of early games did suffer from too much use of the trumpet tone.  Ken's stage in Street Fighter 2, The World Warrior is particularly annoying.  Super Street Fighter 2 sounded much better.  Maximum Carnage sounded a lot worse on Genesis. 

The SNES game library stands the test of time better than Genesis does.  Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Kirby Super Star, Super Metroid Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, the Donkey Kong Contry trilogy, Super Castlvania 4, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Legend of Zelda, and the Mega Man X trilogy are just as playable today as they were when they came out.  The same cannot be said of the Genesis.  Games such as Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, The Revenge of Shinobi, and Flicky might have been cool back then, but they are not that playable in the world we live in now.  Shinobi 3, Ristar, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Blood Lines, and Contra Hard Corps are still pretty good though.  

The 16 bit era still remains the best one due to the fact that a lot of the games have aged well.  The fifth generation of consoles has aged the worst out of any of them so far. 

Jag85

What? I still play Streets of Rage 2 to this very day... more so than any SNES game, in fact,

As for your other points:

-I also play Sonic 2 to this day, more so than any Mario game. It may not be as long or open-world, but it makes up for it with more arcade-style fun and fast-paced excitement during its relatively shorter playthrough.

-The Yamaha FM synth sound chip for the Mega Drive was better than the SNES's Sony sound chip when it came to upbeat electronic music, which was better suited for action games than the low-quality acoustic PCM sampling of the SNES sound chip. For example, games like Fatal Fury and Ys III sounded better on the Mega Drive, while Mega Drive exclusives like Sonic and Streets of Rage had better soundtracks than most SNES action games. Nevertheless, the SNES sound chip did trump the Mega Drive when it came to the more downbeat ambient/acoustic music (i.e. most RPG music) as well as the sound effects.

To each his own, but the beat em genre (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe Final Fight, Turtles in Time) is dated at this point.  They were fun in their time, but mashing the same button over and over again for hour does not go as far as it used to.  I like hidden secrets and levels more than speed.  Sonic is still great.  I did not say it was not.  Mario World had so different types of gamplay in its levels.  There was just the regular running and jumping, but then you had other things such as swimming and flying.  Sonic was all about running.  Players were not able to run through every level in Sonic, especailly the first one.  Players could get up to high speeds in Green Hill Zone, but could not do so in Spring Yard Zone, Labrynth Zone, or Marble Zone.  Same thing goes for Sonic 2 and 3.  Players could not race through levels such as Casino Night, Carnival Night, Metropolis, Sky Chase Zone, Sky Fortress Zone, or Hill Top Zone.  The Mega Man X games, Castlevania 4, and the Pocky and Rocky series had awesome music equal to action games on the Genesis. 

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#140 Eddie-Murphy48
Member since 2013 • 939 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

gamenerd15

-I also play Sonic 2 to this day, more so than any Mario game. It may not be as long or open-world, but it makes up for it with more arcade-style fun and fast-paced excitement during its relatively shorter playthrough.

-The Yamaha FM synth sound chip for the Mega Drive was better than the SNES's Sony sound chip when it came to upbeat electronic music, which was better suited for action games than the low-quality acoustic PCM sampling of the SNES sound chip. For example, games like Fatal Fury and Ys III sounded better on the Mega Drive, while Mega Drive exclusives like Sonic and Streets of Rage had better soundtracks than most SNES action games. Nevertheless, the SNES sound chip did trump the Mega Drive when it came to the more downbeat ambient/acoustic music (i.e. most RPG music) as well as the sound effects.

To each his own, but the beat em genre (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe Final Fight, Turtles in Time) is dated at this point.  They were fun in their time, but mashing the same button over and over again for hour does not go as far as it used to.  I like hidden secrets and levels more than speed.  Sonic is still great.  I did not say it was not.  Mario World had so different types of gamplay in its levels.  There was just the regular running and jumping, but then you had other things such as swimming and flying.  Sonic was all about running.  Players were not able to run through every level in Sonic, especailly the first one.  Players could get up to high speeds in Green Hill Zone, but could not do so in Spring Yard Zone, Labrynth Zone, or Marble Zone.  Same thing goes for Sonic 2 and 3.  Players could not race through levels such as Casino Night, Carnival Night, Metropolis, Sky Chase Zone, Sky Fortress Zone, or Hill Top Zone.  The Mega Man X games, Castlevania 4, and the Pocky and Rocky series had awesome music equal to action games on the Genesis. 

There were vcombos in streets of rage and extra gimmicks.

Sonic was all about fast reflexes not running, it was going throught fast with quick ways to meneuver using various power ups with various obstacles. Sonic also had different type of gameplay  just like SMW although both those early launch to near launch games were garbage and better games and sequels came out afterward. I have no idea why Sonic 1 and SMW are regarded so highly for nothing whatsoever.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="Dj-CrunkyTIGER"] I need proof of inferior graphics. I have seen nothing on the SNES that shows a gap. from later Genesis games. All SNES has a mario, a Zelda, and a bad F-zero game that was nothing but a tech demo along with pilot wings, Nothing else worth playing. One thing the SNES does better is tech demos. Mode 7 f-zero looked good. but that's it.rilpas

A castlevania that's better than the SNES' for one. A contra that's better than the SNES' for two.

the best SHMUPs of its time (well... maybe that honor goes to the TG-16, but we're just comparing sega to Nintendo)

the best beat'em ups of its time.

it had the best WRPGs with a Starflight remake, Shadowrun, D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Buck Rogers, and a remake of Sid Meier's Pirates.

the best run and gun games out of two system with games like the previously mentioned contra but also Midnight resistance and Gunstar heroes

You can mention butloads of megaman games, but really one of them is really great, Megaman X, X-2, X-3 and 7 range from okay to good-ish

or maybe you just want a list war? fine: Alisia Dragoon, Aladdin, Arcus Odyssey, Alien Soldier, Buck Rogers Castle of Illusion, Columns, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hardcorps, Comix Zone, Crusader of Centy, Chiki Chiki boys, Dune 2, Golden Axe, General Chaos, Herzog Zwei, Legend of Oasis, Light Crusader, Landstalker, Mazin Saga, Megaman Willy Wars, MUSHA, Mutant League Football, Outrun, Phantasy Star 2 and 4, Pier Solar, Quackshot, Ristar, Ranger X, Rocket Knight Adventures, Shining Force 1 and 2, Shining in the darkness Shadowrun, Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Super Monaco GP, Super Monaco GP 2, shinobi 2, Shinobi 3, Shadow Dancer, Splatterhouse 2&3, Strider, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Toejam & Earl 1 and 2, Trouble Shooter, Thunder Force 3 and 4, Wonder boy 4, Wings of Wor, Warsong, World of Illusion, Vectorman, Vectorman 2, X-men 2

It'll be fun seeing you just shrug this list off, saying they're all "overrated" or something

Castlevania 4 was better than bloodlines.  Swinging the Whip in eight directions was pretty cool as well as to dangle it in a circle when enemies got close.  All three Mega Man X games were awesome.  Mega Man Wily was kind of stupid.  It was just 16 bit vesions of the first three Mega Man games, and even then, the graphics were not even that good.  You say that X2 and X3 are just ok, but favor Wily Wars.  That is just insane.  You have a pretty weird taste in games.  It is funny how you mention all of these Sega games, but you do not mention Gunstar Heroes at all. 

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
SNES had the edge, but the genesis gave the snes a great run for its money and is still a wonderful console.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Eddie-Murphy48

To each his own, but the beat em genre (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe Final Fight, Turtles in Time) is dated at this point.  They were fun in their time, but mashing the same button over and over again for hour does not go as far as it used to.  I like hidden secrets and levels more than speed.  Sonic is still great.  I did not say it was not.  Mario World had different types of gameplay in its levels.  There was just the regular running and jumping, but then you had other things such as swimming and flying.  Sonic was all about running.  Players were not able to run through every level in Sonic, especially the first one.  Players could get up to high speeds in Green Hill Zone, but could not do so in Spring Yard Zone, Labyrinth Zone, or Marble Zone.  Same thing goes for Sonic 2 and 3.  Players could not race through levels such as Casino Night, Carnival Night, Metropolis, Sky Chase Zone, Sky Fortress Zone, or Hill Top Zone.  The Mega Man X games, Castlevania 4, and the Pocky and Rocky series had awesome music equal to action games on the Genesis. 

Sonic was all about fast reflexes not running, it was going throught fast with quick ways to meneuver using various power ups with various obstacles. Sonic also had different type of gameplay  just like SMW although both those early launch to near launch games were garbage and better games and sequels came out afterward. I have no idea why Sonic 1 and SMW are regarded so highly for nothing whatsoever.

Power ups in sonic did not come until the third game.  The first two games had nothing but a blue shield.  What different types of were in Sonic?  Sonic ran and jumped.  The power ups such as the lightning shield and the water added different ways to jump.  The fire shield made Sonic shoot further than ever before.  I guess you could say that levels such as Carnival Night and Casino Night gave a different spin on the Sonic formula.  The thing is that you cannot go through the levels I mentioned with quick reflexes.  In the Marble Zone for example.  You have to push a block on top of a button or switch to raise the chandelier.  It takes forever for it to come up.  In the Hydro City level you have to stand on spinning platforms and jump up from one to the next.  Those platforms move rather slow, so you cannot exactly use fast reflexes during this particular segment.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#144 Eddie-Murphy48
Member since 2013 • 939 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Murphy48"]

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

To each his own, but the beat em genre (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe Final Fight, Turtles in Time) is dated at this point.  They were fun in their time, but mashing the same button over and over again for hour does not go as far as it used to.  I like hidden secrets and levels more than speed.  Sonic is still great.  I did not say it was not.  Mario World had different types of gameplay in its levels.  There was just the regular running and jumping, but then you had other things such as swimming and flying.  Sonic was all about running.  Players were not able to run through every level in Sonic, especially the first one.  Players could get up to high speeds in Green Hill Zone, but could not do so in Spring Yard Zone, Labyrinth Zone, or Marble Zone.  Same thing goes for Sonic 2 and 3.  Players could not race through levels such as Casino Night, Carnival Night, Metropolis, Sky Chase Zone, Sky Fortress Zone, or Hill Top Zone.  The Mega Man X games, Castlevania 4, and the Pocky and Rocky series had awesome music equal to action games on the Genesis. 

gamenerd15

Power ups in sonic did not come until the third game.  The first two games had nothing but a blue shield.  What different types of were in Sonic?  Sonic ran and jumped.  The power ups such as the lightning shield and the water added different ways to jump.  The fire shield made Sonic shoot further than ever before.  I guess you could say that levels such as Carnival Night and Casino Night gave a different spin on the Sonic formula.  The thing is that you cannot go through the levels I mentioned with quick reflexes.  In the Marble Zone for example.  You have to push a block on top of a button or switch to raise the chandelier.  It takes forever for it to come up.  In the Hydro City level you have to stand on spinning platforms and jump up from one to the next.  Those platforms move rather slow, so you cannot exactly use fast reflexes during this particular segment.

You mentioned more than one Sonic game, and even then, the first game had the invincible powerup as well, so your point is still invalid. 

Airplane flight., snow bordering, pinball tables, etc. etc. Time travel etc.

You are isolating certain parts of the game, for the most part it's quick reflexes, you don't spend 4 hours pushing blocks, you need to do better than that. Same with spiining platforms, is that the whole level all of a sudden?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

gamenerd15

Depends what you're looking for. If you prefer slower, deeper adventure-oriented games, then the SNES has the edge. If you prefer faster-paced, action-oriented games, then the Mega Drive has the edge.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

The Super Nintendos best games were better than the Genesis' best games. Thats just something I think is a little hard to argue. But The genesis has more games. it has a bit of a better variety of them as well. Some are honestly dated at this point, but at the time there was way more games to play and choose from if you had a genesis. Looking back now, most of the best Super Nintendo games came out really late, 94, 95, about 5-6 years after the genesis even came out, and when sega had decided to start moving on. Sega actually had the majority of the market share in 92/ 93 and a pretty good one at that. But they just got ahead of themselves. 

Its a shame they bothered with the sega cd and 32x. People seem to think that those things didn't harm the genesis at all, and were just side project failures, but it really did hurt it. I can imagine how much better the genesis could have been if they had put all that time and effort they put into making those add ons and supporting them and put that into making Genesis games instead. They were too devided. 

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#147 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

To each his own, but the beat em genre (Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe Final Fight, Turtles in Time) is dated at this point.  They were fun in their time, but mashing the same button over and over again for hour does not go as far as it used to. 

gamenerd15

A good beat 'em up has a balance of good music, varied and interesting level design, a balanced difficulty and ofcourse a varied combat system. All of which create a audio/visual/interactive experience that moves you forward. It's one thing to dislike the genre, or hate it, i don't care, gaming is a personal experience. But your description of a good beat 'em up tells me that you either never played a good one, or it's ben so long that your memory is playing tricks on you. 

The music, and the colour pallete is what creates a certain ambience, and a atmosphere to good beat 'em ups, and that's were SoR 2 excells at. Throw in a good 2 player co-op, and you've got yourself a great game. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Genesis had the sound, but the sound between games shared an awful lot of similarities--am I the only one that thinks this?
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 rilpas

Castlevania 4 was better than bloodlines.  Swinging the Whip in eight directions was pretty cool as well as to dangle it in a circle when enemies got close.gamenerd15

A shame the actual game wasn't designed around your whip being able to do that.

All three Mega Man X games were awesome.  Mega Man Wily was kind of stupid.  It was just 16 bit vesions of the first three Mega Man games, and even then, the graphics were not even that good.  You say that X2 and X3 are just ok, but favor Wily Wars.  That is just insane.  You have a pretty weird taste in games.  It is funny how you mention all of these Sega games, but you do not mention Gunstar Heroes at all. 

gamenerd15

I didn' mention Gunstar Heroes because I never liked the game, in fact, I don't think I've ever liked a Treasure game.

And Megaman X is awesome

X-2 has some of the worst level designs in any Megaman game

X-3 is okay, not that good, got pretty bored with the game and some aspects of the game just felt gimmicky *coughs*Zero*coughs*

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 rilpas

Genesis had the sound, but the sound between games shared an awful lot of similarities--am I the only one that thinks this?Heirren
I'm not even sure if Genesis had the sound, I hated that scratching and screeching sound a lof of western developed genesis games share. But yeah, genesis games have definitely a lot more in common when it comes to sound than SNES games