Should Nintendo do cross-play and cross-buy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I think Nintendo could use a lot of their games for cross platform purposes. It's not like Nintendo lacks any talent to make good games on either platform, anyone feel the same?

Edit: fixed the topic title

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 0

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Above all, they should have a unified account system with VC purchases working on multiple systems. If I buy Super Mario World on my Wii, I should also be able to download and play it on my WiiU, or my 3DS, without paying an 'upgrade' fee or anything equally ridiculous. It needs to work the way PS1 purchases do on the PSP/PS3/Vita.
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4224 Posts

It probably won't happen because the big three are competitors, not partners.

That being said, Sega came to Nintendo. Maybe one day anything will be possible.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Isn't cross-play what they did with MH3U on 3DS/Wii U?
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Last_Ride
i do find it surprising Smash Bros won't be cross play
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I think Nintendo could use a lot of their games for cross platform purposes. It's not like Nintendo lacks any talent to make good games on either platform, anyone feel the same?

The_Last_Ride

Do you just want crossplay or are you also looking for crossbuy?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]

CarnageHeart

both to be honest.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]

The_Last_Ride

both to be honest.

Well, as DJ Lae pointed out, Nintendo doesn't have a unified account system. That benefits Nintendo because its easier for them to manage and requires people who lose systems to rebuy content (whereas on the other platforms including the X360, PS3 and Ipad and just has to deauthorize the old system and redownload all of the old content ot the new system).

I would have thought that was a problem Nintendo would have to lick before digital sales (of games and extra content) would take off, but that doesn't seem to be the case (Nintendo's digital sales as a percent of overall sales have been increasing of late). So crossbuy strikes me as extremely unlikely. Still as is the case with the PS3 and the Vita, with the Wii U and the 3DS one system is selling well, the other is selling poorly, so it would make sense for Nintendo to implement a unified account system and crossbuy if its really all that bothered by low Wii U sales.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/22/nintendo-reitterates-it-wont-replace-lost-or-stolen-digital-3ds-games/

Nintendo of America customer service representative: Thank you for writing. Ill be happy to answer your questions regarding virtual content on the Nintendo 3DS. All virtual content downloaded on the Nintendo 3DS is tied to the system itself. As our warranty doesnt cover lost or stolen game cards and systems, if this were to happen regardless of your games being virtual or you owning the physical copies, they would not be covered for replacement.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197952/An_upclose_look_at_Nintendos_growing_digital_sales_business.php

nintendo-digital-share.png

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride
I know it would seem unlikely, but i think it would be awesome if it did happen. Nintendo always manage to make great games, i think cross-buy and play could make more people buy the Wii U or the 3DS
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Above all, they should have a unified account system with VC purchases working on multiple systems. If I buy Super Mario World on my Wii, I should also be able to download and play it on my WiiU, or my 3DS, without paying an 'upgrade' fee or anything equally ridiculous. It needs to work the way PS1 purchases do on the PSP/PS3/Vita.DJ_Lae

well to be fair, youcan play all virtual console games that you had on your old wii on Wii U without any aditional cost. If you want to use miiverse and off tv play it's $1.50...

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#11 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
If they cared about their customers and providing a good service then yes, of course, it should be cross buy and play, which would also mean they should link the profiles together.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DJ_Lae
If they cared about their customers and providing a good service then yes, of course, it should be cross buy and play, which would also mean they should link the profiles together. Legolas_Katarn
It's to the point now where the few PR responses I've seen from them talking about how they're 'working on it' actually make sense. I remember reading a very interesting article on a homebrew site about the Wii and how its system software was terribly designed. It was so backwards and poorly thought out that Nintendo themselves were very limited with what they could add to it, and playing older games (like Twilight Princess) would actually override whatever version of the system software you had while they were actively running. Given the updates we've seen on the 3DS it seems they learned their lesson, though it also suggests that they're still incredibly behind and that's worrying. They have the kernel of a proper account system in their Club Nintendo accounts, but I have no idea if they even know where to go from there given that the WiiU has been the first properly online Nintendo console. The 3DS does some online, certainly, but it feels really janky.
zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Above all, they should have a unified account system with VC purchases working on multiple systems. If I buy Super Mario World on my Wii, I should also be able to download and play it on my WiiU, or my 3DS, without paying an 'upgrade' fee or anything equally ridiculous. It needs to work the way PS1 purchases do on the PSP/PS3/Vita.

That would make too much sense. :P I would also like a unified wallet.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride
If they cared about their customers and providing a good service then yes, of course, it should be cross buy and play, which would also mean they should link the profiles together. Legolas_Katarn
Indeed they should
luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts

Definitely feel they should. Maybe some day

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DJ_Lae
That would make too much sense. :P I would also like a unified wallet. zeroyaoi
That would be nice too. I think right now I have small unused balances on my DSi shop, 3DS shop, and Wii shop.