Sega & Bioware Team Up for DS RPG, Eurogamer Overlord Review

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Last year Bioware revealed they had formed a handheld development group, at the time the company revealed their first title would be a Nintendo DS game, well it's been revealed today by Bioware that they are working on Sonic RPG for the Nintendo DS.

Information on the title is slim, but we do know the game is coming exclusively to the Nintendo DS and is set for release in 2008. "BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world," said Simon Jeffery, President and COO, Sega of America, Inc. "Everyone at Sega has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages."

We're thrilled to be working with Sega on Sonic, one of the industry's most enduring and compelling icons," said Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare. "As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we're committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character's broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure," added Ray Muzyka, chief executive officer of BioWare.

LINK

And Eurogamer just posted this review of Overlord: 8/10, I'll be at least renting this game, and quite possibly buying it if I have sufficient funds. LINK

Excerpt:

Overlord is about being Evil. I'm giving 'Evil' its capital, because it's not really about being evil. This isn't about being evil like in dealing crack to kids, or death camps or telling your girlfriend you're working late in the office when you're really screwing your secretary. You're evil, but not like - say - Hitler You're Evil like Mum-Ra the Ever-Living. Your character is silent throughout, but you know if he ever laughed he'd go "Muhahahaha" and be entirely unashamed by it.

Overlord is about the Pantomine of Evil. The "you" when the children cry "HE'S BEHIND YOU!!!!" That's you.

Overlord's probably most succinctly described as Fable meets Pikmin with Dungeon Keeper's plot, with splashes of Diablo and Sacrifice.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Craziness. Bioware will have their work cut out for them, too - the cast of Sonic is riddled with hacked-together and unlikable characters (really, the problems with Sonic started when they tried to introduce story).

It'll be very interesting to see the result, though.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Craziness. Bioware will have their work cut out for them, too - the cast of Sonic is riddled with hacked-together and unlikable characters (really, the problems with Sonic started when they tried to introduce story).

It'll be very interesting to see the result, though.

DJ_Lae

Yeah omg tell me about, SA2 was ruined almost soley because the game not only tried to force a story on you, but you had to spend too much time with characters other than Sonic or other versions of Sonic lol (Shadow, Crystal thing). If I'm forced to play with that stupid robot ever again, I'll burn the building down.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Nice find, Des. Here's the official Bioware press release. We are witnessing strange days.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

WHAT? :shocked ascrap smiley:

Bioware what?? Kay. *everyone slowly back away*

Overlord also got a 6/10 from Games magazine and 6.7 on CVG so read more reviews before deciding I say.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SteelAttack

Overlord also got a 6/10 from Games magazine and 6.7 on CVG so read more reviewsbefore deciding I say.

gaminggeek

But I wanna be Evil! :(

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Whoa. Sonic + Bioware + RPG now there is a very interesting combination.

Sounds like Overlord is getting some mixed reviews although I really enjoyed the demo so I'm still pretty interested in picking this game up.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Can't you see Dr. Robotnik fighting alongside Sonic like Bowser in Super Mario RPG?
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Can't you see Dr. Robotnik fighting alongside Sonic like Bowser in Super Mario RPG?Travo_basic

No dude, he should be the final boss. I just want Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles to make up your party, none of the other stupid characters should even be in it.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gaminggeek

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

gaminggeek

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

*huddles in the corner in the fetal position*

Make it go away, make it go way! :cry: :cry: :cry:

AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AtomicTangerine

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

gaminggeek

Something tells me you had that picture for a while and were just saving it to make the children cry at the right time...

Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts
[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

AtomicTangerine

Something tells me you had that picture for a while and were just saving it to make the children cry at the right time...

Not just children, grown men too..... :cry:
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
This is madness.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

BioWare is making...a Sonic RPG. Sounds like something from the Twilight Zone. Pretty lame, too.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#17 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

Man, they don't want to do KOTOR 3 but they'll do Sonic RPG?

what's the twist? Robotnik is Tail's preverted step dad?

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

BioWare is a odd choice for something like Sonic. Very odd and maybe a mix-match.

I just can't picture them capturing the personality of the Sonic universe. What they need is Yuji Naka as supervisor just like the way Miyamoto supervises the Mario RPG games, so the game can remain credible to how Sonic is.

Otherwise, I'll remain very skeptical and approach cautiously with this one.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#19 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

BioWare is a odd choice for something like Sonic. Very odd and maybe a mix-match.

I just can't picture them capturing the personality of the Sonic universe. What they need is Yuji Naka as supervisor just like the way Miyamoto supervises the Mario RPG games, so the game can remain credible to how Sonic is.

Otherwise, I'll remain very skeptical and approach cautiously with this one.

ASK_Story

i don't know if you've noticed anything about the sonic series lately but having a "credible" story to it is easy, just look at all the garbage the sonic devs dish out game after game.

Even if Bioware concocts a Dr Seuss-esque story on crack, puts Grape Ape somewhere in the game and adds 4 other useless characters with whiney voices... they're still a step ahead of the other sonic games.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
This is AWESOME news!!!! I mean, as an oldschool Sonic fan, I can't help but be hyped that Sonic might actually have not only a good game on the horizon, but a GREAT game. I couldn't be happier for our little blue friend. :P
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
Imo, BioWare + Camelot = l33t RPG development for the DS and Wii if that ever happened.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
This news would make for a perfect April Fool's joke.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

The Super Paper Mario killer?

Anyway I see this game turning out like Kingdom Hearts, love it or hate it. But personally I wonder if BioWare will make this more like a JRPG to suite the masses, or follow their WRPG roots.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dencore

This is madness. shinian

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bugsonglass

Anyway I see this game turning out like Kingdom Hearts, love it or hate it. But personally I wonder if BioWare will make this more like a JRPG to suite the masses, or follow their WRPG roots.

Dencore

The source material is atrocious for RPG purposes. If Bioware turns in something even remotely playable then kudos to them but I have very little expectation.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bugsonglass
[QUOTE="bugsonglass"][QUOTE="Dencore"]

dvader654

The source material is atrocious for RPG purposes. If Bioware turns in something even remotely playable then kudos to them but I have very little expectation.

Is Mario's source material any better? If Mario can have a great RPG so can Sonic, its as simple as that.

Well a lot of it is personal taste but I do personally think that Mario source material is better. Not because of the Mushroom Kingdom lore or anything like that, I just find the characters on the whole a lot more likable and funnier than most of the ones in the Sonic universe, that's all.

AquaMantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 AquaMantor
Member since 2004 • 7571 Posts
A Sonic RPG made by Bioware is some pretty crazy news. If you had said this without linking, I would never have believed you. It's just so hard for me to imagine. Sonic is about fast paced action, and RPGs, especially Bioware RPGs (even though they're starting to get this fascination with making action games for some reason), tend to be about the exact opposite.
Siddiqui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Siddiqui
Member since 2002 • 544 Posts

It was already unexpected to see a bioware game headed to the DS.... but a Sonic RPG made by bioware? Will they give it the PC RPG gameplayseing as how the stylus interfaceis right there and all? This is allpretty hard toimagine. Regardless, BioWare is an ambitious bunch so I expect that it should turn out to be very intresting at the least. I'll look forward to seeing what comes of this.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts
Personally, i'm really just happy to see something against the grain in an industy that is in a state of severe sequelitis. These days i'm open to original concepts, I don't care how crazy they sound. Sonic RPG? I'll keep an eye on it.
Erinaceus1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Erinaceus1991
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts
It wasn't the characters or the stories that ruined Sonic. Sonic fans do want to see a good story with likable characters. What ruined the series was developer complacency and mismanagement.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

Dencore

KH is an empty, shallow, soullessgame. Bioware doesn't know what those words mean.

overfeind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 overfeind
Member since 2004 • 2984 Posts
All Ihave to say is that Sonic is the fastest thing around.
rajlshah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rajlshah
Member since 2004 • 561 Posts

Things Bioware is killing me with by not providing:

1. Release date for Mass Effect.

2. Images and gameplay video of Sonic RPG.

The list is growing :(

Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
[QUOTE="Dencore"]

TheCrazed420

KH is an empty, shallow, soullessgame. Bioware doesn't know what those words mean.

KH is all that and a mindless expolsion of Fanservice.

I do think this could turn our very well. To be honest, We could have the next Mario RPG here. Bioware even thier lesser offerings are still High AA to Low AAA.

The only thing Im worried about it is thier first handheld game

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gaminggeek
[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

AtomicTangerine

Me? Never :)

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SteelAttack

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

gaminggeek

This just confirms your evil, gruesome nature to the world. I hope you're happy. Bad man.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
OMG. I don't mind a hadheld RPG by the masters of the genre, but I really don't like Sonic. Where's Jade Empire 2?
joyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 joyer
Member since 2003 • 979 Posts

i saw this the other night... and i still dont know what to think

baldurs gate 2 is like one of my favourite gamers ever, i was hoping their ds game was going to be some epic rpg... and i get a sonic rpg? geeeeeeeeeeeeze........... if bioware was not involved you could laugh this off without much thought

but but but.... it might turn out good? i really dunno what to think

this year is getting weirder and weirder.... its great, keeps you on your toes as a gamer but but but... whats next? lol

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gaminggeek

newsweek article

The Parasitic Genius of BioWare, Or, Why Making a Sonic RPG Might Not Be Such a Bad Idea After All

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 UpInFlames

newsweek article

The Parasitic Genius of BioWare, Or, Why Making a Sonic RPG Might Not Be Such a Bad Idea After All

gaminggeek

I don't really doubt BioWare, most probably it'll be a great game, but that still won't change the fact that it's, you know, Sonic. And if BioWare indeed follows its own pattern and starts creating original (but "kiddy") games for handhelds...I honestly don't see how's that a good thing for BioWare fans.

AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AtomicTangerine
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"][QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

newsweek article

dvader654

I don't really doubt BioWare, most probably it'll be a great game, but that still won't change the fact that it's, you know, Sonic.

Yeah you know one of the most iconic and legendary video game characters of the early 90s...

Fixed

Really though, this game will be great as long as they pretend like most of the recent, plot-heavy Sonic games never happened. Then again, no Mario RPG ever let continuity get in its way and sort of existed in their own Mario universe. Hopefullythey will go with something like that.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UpInFlames

Yeah you know one of the most iconic and legendary video game characters of all time. ;)dvader654

Sonic is a washed-up has-been that's still around for some reason, but no one gives a **** about - you know, in the vein of The Rolling Stones, Jeniffer Love Hewitt, and id Software. :o

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Yeah you know one of the most iconic and legendary video game characters of all time. ;)UpInFlames

Sonic is a washed-up has-been that's still around for some reason, but no one gives a **** about - you know, in the vein of The Rolling Stones, Jeniffer Love Hewitt, and id Software. :o

Hey now, I actually like Doom 3.:evil:

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dencore
[QUOTE="Dencore"]

TheCrazed420

I was talking about theme not gameplay.

And as for your words for Kingdom Hearts they are wrong just wrong and you're are ridiculous and no offense I lost ALL respect for you. I mean saying Kingdom Hearts is empty, shallow, and a soulless game? Please Kingdom Hearts is so bad it doesn't even have words to describe how much it sucks and it is the poster child of what is wrong with the genre today.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dencore

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Yeah you know one of the most iconic and legendary video game characters of all time. ;)UpInFlames

His handheld games are marked as some in the best in the serious, but I do agree with your stance on iD.

Doom 3 was a mediocre FPS at best and I didn't even want to play Quake 4. Heck I like Doom 1 better then Doom 3 and I played Doom 1 AFTER I played Doom 3 *the PC version of course*.

Also I think we all know that iD has LONG been surpassed by the legendary Valve. :)