Rise of the Tomb Raider looks a little... underwhelming?

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

Idk it feels like the same thing all over again and very little seems to have changed besides the graphics. Even the sounds are the same, like Lara's screams etc (which are quite annoying tbh). Also it was a bit embarassing hearing Lara talk to herself all the time. Not sure what made the previous game so good but it definitely wasn't the platforming which I found to be quite boring as it's mostly to do with moving the left stick.

I loved the previous game but this feels like nothing new. Hate to be cynical and all but the trailer didn't capture my interest at all. I'd probably still end up buying it though, cuz well... it's Tomb Raider lol. Might have to wait a year more cuz of the xbox one exclusivity but yeah :s

tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

It's not uncommon for a sequel to recycle assets from the first game. Try to look at this as a good thing, if they started from scratch this would cut into development time of improving and adding features. This time around, Lara can swim underwater, for example. I suspect this will be a very good sequel.

My hope is that they go back to more supernatural elements that the original games had. There was plenty of supernatural hints in the story itself, but it didn't really come across in the gameplay, like the creatures and whatnot.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

The last TR was great. And this one will be similar in better of what I can understand from the videos and interview. So this interest me a lot but it don't excite me at all like all games anyway...

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

The reboot got great reviews and consumer ratings. Why would they change it. They are adding true tombs to this one. Add that to the combat and exploration of the first one with the usual expansion of tools/abilities that a sequel gives and it should be great.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

It's a sequel to the Tomb Raider reboot - what were you expecting? The formula for the reboot worked incredibly well, as evident by the sales and reviews of both consumer and media. They were never, nor should they have considered, any real change to the formula. Tweaks are fine, of course, if not expected, but why mess with a good thing?

I, for one, cannot wait. It is my most anticipated game this year by far.

Snapdragon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Snapdragon1
Member since 2013 • 229 Posts

@nyc05: The reason the reboot was successful was because of the PlayStation Nation, don't expect the same success with this next game. Square Enix has ALREADY got their money by selling out thier fanbase to MicroDic ! STOP !!! Before you go telling me how its " timed " lets look at the facts MicroDic has invested millions into this game in Marketing, Publishing, and Man-hours using thier own programers. I expect ROTTR to go exactly as Mass Effct did locked up by MicroDic for five years. They'll need years to re-coop thier investment. I for one can read between the lines of what Phil Spencer said Quote ROTTR will go the way of Ryse and Dead Rising Unquote Translation it will be released to PC in about a year after initial release.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Was a bit disappointed by gameplay videos myself. They said they are making this one more open but so far I haven't seen any big environments. QTEs are still there. Hopefully rest of the game will be better. Will still like the game since I liked reboot but kinda disappointed so far.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I think it looks great myself. It's a sequel to the reboot which did extremely well so I'm not expecting it to have any big changes but instead to build off from the previous game. I loved the last game so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I think it looks great myself. It's a sequel to the reboot which did extremely well so I'm not expecting it to have any big changes but instead to build off from the previous game. I loved the last game so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Yep ditto.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

@Archangel3371: I just hope the tombs are really good this time around. As long as the tombs are engaging challenging its a day one purchase for me (or day 365 cuz ill prolly have to wait a year for it to come to the ps4 lol). TR: Underworld actually did a pretty good job with its tombs imo. The strength of the reboot imo was the experience of lara becoming a survivor. They dont have the same thing this time around. This time lara is already a hardened survivor. It'll be harder to tell such a personal story this time around so this time they have to focus on lara becoming the actual tomb raider. I hope they can pull it off :)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I liked Tomb Raider 2013 and the sequel looks even better than the first game.

Snapdragon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Snapdragon1
Member since 2013 • 229 Posts

@sukraj: This Sequel looks exactly like the reboot just a different location, not much else has changed except for this one will FAIL without the 23,00000 PS4 players who may the reboot a success !

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#13 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

It looks amazing, but that does not mean it plays the same.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I only ever had the first Tomb Raider. Never really got into the series.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

it looks under whelming because of uncharted 4

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@phoenix5352 said:

it looks under whelming because of uncharted 4

I know people compare these games all the time but to me they are more different than similar. The way the games play as well as the level design are very dissimilar.

Avatar image for Simulator_Shock
Simulator_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#17  Edited By Simulator_Shock
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

@BboyStatix said:

Also it was a bit embarassing hearing Lara talk to herself all the time. .

Why is it "embarrassing" to hear Lara talking to herself?

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

hahaha sounds like a flop they made it a xbox one exclusive so I am happy to know that I am not missing anything.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I liked the 2013 Tombraider. Hopefully this one hits pc eventually because i probably won't buy a console any time soon and the 2013 game played great on pc. If if never makes it, doesn't matter to me since it basically looks the same as the 2013 game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 DaVillain
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@Simulator_Shock said:
@BboyStatix said:

Also it was a bit embarassing hearing Lara talk to herself all the time. .

Why is it "embarrassing" to hear Lara talking to herself?

Instead of not talking out loud to herself, why not just use your thoughts and we can all be happy about that.

TheNinjaGuyDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheNinjaGuyDon
Member since 2015 • 221 Posts

@BboyStatix: That's the beauty of experiencing games. You can limit the amount of video and gameplay you watch, and the experience the first time around can be unforgettable. When I played the Reboot for the first time, I didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Of course a sequel will resemble it's predecessor. I have faith that they won't disappoint. So far what I've seen looks great, and I'm sure it will be on point. At least they've proven they can make a good solid current gen game unlike some others.

My point is, Crystal Dynamics hasn't given me reason to doubt their abilities. It's Assassin's Creed and NHL 16 I'd be more worried about.