Reviews - affects your game purchase?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Saki-M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Saki-M
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
If your waiting for a game and you will know that you love it, suddenly its getting a low score, and users writing it sucks, what will you do? I was pretty much depending on scores all the time. [gamespot, ign, etc....]. I feel a little bit weird to buy a game if everyone saying it sucks. Its like.. losing its value? So one day a friend gave me his copy of necrovision, and i knew about this game but i didnt played it because users didnt liked this game so much. But after i tried it i bought myself a copy because i really, really loved it. If my friend wouldnt give me necrovision ill probably would never picked it up because of the scores/users commets. Also, write a game that you really love, but it got low scores, i think it will be intresting, so i already mentioned necrovision.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts
Why are you looking at reviews of games you don't own if not to gain insight on whether or not to buy them? That's pretty much the entire reason for their existence.
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

oh yeh they make a big difference i was gonna buy AVP when it first came out but since it got such a bad review i havt touched it

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Very much so. I base many of my decisions on whether or not to buy a game. If hundreds of people tell me a game sucks, I think it's pretty indicative of the quality of the game. Even if many of them are just face-value reviews of the game, if enough people tell me it's not worth my time, I'm prone to stay away.

At the very least, I'll rent it first.

There are some games that I have been playing for a while now and thus have an understanding of what to expect from them. I know what to look forward to when a new Pokemon game comes out for example. I know that they haven't exactly been the most innovative over the past few years, but the game will still be solid. I base many of my decisions upon the expectations of the game, if I've played it at a friends house or something, and the reviews it's been getting.

It's essentially a multi-step process.

NicotineKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NicotineKid
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts
Almost never, if I've set my mind on purchasing a game I usually buy it. Unless reviewers say the game is totally broken, such as really crappy a.i. for instance.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Alpha protocol did that.
A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

It influences my decision somewhat, but not always.

Final Fantasy XIV got a 4.0, but I would still like to try that game out.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
As long as a game isn't averaging a 6 or lower on Metacritic I don't usually care that much.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

It influences my decision somewhat, but not always.

Final Fantasy XIV got a 4.0, but I would still like to try that game out.

A_Mobile_Doll

I was on the fence about trying out FF14, but due to the vehement reaction to the game overall, I'm not touching it with a 10-foot pole.

If nothing anybody says is going to change my mind on whether or not to buy a game in the first place, I see no reason to even bother reading reviews for it. So I'm not ashamed to say that yes, reviews do influence my decisions on the games I buy.

Avatar image for AngelOfDeath718
AngelOfDeath718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AngelOfDeath718
sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. i love basketball, so i'd buy nba 2k regardless of the review. for fps games, reviews matter to me because there are so many of them. i was planning to buy gta4 because it got great reviews, but i decided to get rdr instead because many users said that that they liked it better. i would probably buy either (or both) mgs4 or uncharted 2 because they both got great reviews. i would probably buy bioshock infinite regardless of the review because the gameplay video looked awesome to me.
jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

One review isn't enough, but if the general consensus is that the game is awful, it probably is. I find video game reviews to be much more accurate than movie reviews.

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

It's whats keeping me frombuying MoH, with all the hype surrounding it I thought it was quite odd that it didnt get a launch center, Then again I was unimpressed with the beta.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Well there are so many games out there, and nobody has either the time or the money to play them all, including me. So yeah, if every reviewer says a game sucks, I probably won't bother even trying it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not since the 9.3/10 Gamespot gave to Battlefield 2 in 2005. A buggy mess that started out worse than the demo, and with very few maps worth playing on aside from the one in the demo. Also, the lack of competent bots for singleplayer was laughable.

I read reviews to see how other people view these games, and as points of discussion (we can't discuss facts, so that's why we need opinions for a forum). Basing purchases off of a review score, or averaged review score, will in no way give you an accurate means of determining whether or not you'll enjoy the game. Just look at this gen; most of the games I've loved most have scored between 7.0 and 8.9... and the ones I've liked the least are ones that have scored over 9.0.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Not since the 9.3/10 Gamespot gave to Battlefield 2 in 2005. A buggy mess that started out worse than the demo, and with very few maps worth playing on aside from the one in the demo. Also, the lack of competent bots for singleplayer was laughable.

I read reviews to see how other people view these games, and as points of discussion (we can't discuss facts, so that's why we need opinions for a forum). Basing purchases off of a review score, or averaged review score, will in no way give you an accurate means of determining whether or not you'll enjoy the game. Just look at this gen; most of the games I've loved most have scored between 7.0 and 8.9... and the ones I've liked the least are ones that have scored over 9.0.

foxhound_fox

Uh...there's a difference between a review and a score.

Of course scores don't give you an indication of if you'll like a game. After all, that's just a meaningless number. However, reading the review, the part which actually discusses the games flaws and merits, sort of DOES give people a better idea of if they'll like the game.

narog84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 narog84
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts
the information on the review maybe if the game have something i dont like
max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts

i only let the reviews affect whether i buy a game or not if i am unsure about that particular game.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

The overall rating they give is irrelevant to me but I do listen to the positives and negatives listed by a few trusted sources.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

depends how bad the review is, obviously if the game is unplayable with bugs or control issues then yes i would not buy it.

but as long as it gets a 7.0 or maybe a 6.5 i will still probably get it.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
FeedOnATreeFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FeedOnATreeFrog
Member since 2009 • 792 Posts

not because of the Number itself, but usually what the review points out:

For example, the final fantasy 14 review drew my attention to many issues I wouldn't have known about had I had I not watched a video review for it.

But sometimes 'the issues' in a negative review aren't a problem to me (for example, if a game gets a bad review for not having a multiplayer component. doesn't affect me at all).

MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
I'll read a review to see what the game contains and what it's all about. I won't base a purchase on the score though like some people blindly do. I pay more attention to user reviews as they tend to be more accurate and help me decide whether to buy or not.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I like to do my research before buying games. I'll look through multiple sources and make my judgement after that.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
yes--i like to do some research before i purchase a game, unless it is a title i intend on getting no matter what
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox

Of course scores don't give you an indication of if you'll like a game. After all, that's just a meaningless number. However, reading the review, the part which actually discusses the games flaws and merits, sort of DOES give people a better idea of if they'll like the game.

MrGeezer

That's odd... I don't remember ever stating that one couldn't look at the text part of the review. :|

And clearly, several times I referred to the "score" explicitly.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer

That's odd... I don't remember ever stating that one couldn't look at the text part of the review. :|

And clearly, several times I referred to the "score" explicitly.

foxhound_fox

Funny...I was under the impression that this topic was about REVIEWS. :|

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I've been looking reviews in the face the past 8-9 years--every single day--but I don't let them sway whether I purchase a game or not.,
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer

I've been looking reviews in the face the past 8-9 years--every single day--but I don't let them sway whether I purchase a game or not.,Dracula68

It's kind of funny to hear that, coming from an employee.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Why are you looking at reviews of games you don't own if not to gain insight on whether or not to buy them? That's pretty much the entire reason for their existence.StopThePresses
I agree, buying games blindly is foolish and a waste of money, games are cheap, unless you are a millionaire or something.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 foxhound_fox

Funny...I was under the impression that this topic was about REVIEWS. :|

MrGeezer

And yet I still answered the question at hand in my original post, on top of addressing another point of contention I have with the popularity of review scores.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

MrGeezer

I read through the review of BF2 and decided it was worth the purchase even though there were reports of problems with the game. I'm happy to say I was one of those who didn't have problems with the game. The only time I ever crashed the thing was when I tried a 64-player mod.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

I trust the opinions of the people that have actually completed the games rather than people that have formed opinions based entirely on hype and speculation.

That being said, I've purchased badly reviewed games by reading between the lines and determining that I'd probably like what the reviewer didn't. "Baroque" was a fine example of that.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

I'd be lying if I said they didn't influence me. If a game that I had been paying some, but not much attention to came out and started getting rave reviews it would definitely peak my interest and I might be inclined to check it out. On the flip side if I had been looking forward to a game that I thought was going to be really great and it ended up with a bunch of mediocre reviews it might turn me off of that game.

Helghast_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Helghast_Merc
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts
I don't think reviewers really affect my gaming purchase much, but it does influence me a little bit. Still, I like to hear what they have to say about a game.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]I've been looking reviews in the face the past 8-9 years--every single day--but I don't let them sway whether I purchase a game or not.,MrGeezer

I'm not employed by GameSpot. Does that make a difference?
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#37 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
they obviously arent the bottom line in my decision to purchase a game, but they are a factor. previews do a good job of listing and explaining features, but i still like to read how people felt about the execution.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]I've been looking reviews in the face the past 8-9 years--every single day--but I don't let them sway whether I purchase a game or not.,Dracula68

I'm not employed by GameSpot. Does that make a difference?

Yeah it does make a difference. I thought that admins were actual employees, but I guess I was wrong.

But yeah...if you worked there, that'd be sort of like hearing a cook say, "man, I'd NEVER eat the food from my restaurant."

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Funny...I was under the impression that this topic was about REVIEWS. :|

foxhound_fox

And yet I still answered the question at hand in my original post, on top of addressing another point of contention I have with the popularity of review scores.

And I made a 100% accurate comment about scores and reviews.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts
It depends... If I'm unsure about a game, then I will usually look up a review. However, if I'm a fan of a series, such as Uncharted or Bioshock, I'd buy without looking at a review.
tingram2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tingram2011
Well I hate to say it, but as of today I can no longer trust reviews with blind faith. I hated MW2 and really enjoy MOH
noobdawg123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 noobdawg123
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts

Reviews definitely influence me. Certain games I would never have ever picked up if it were not for the positive reviews that drew my attention to them in the first place. For instance, I probably would not have played Dead Space if it had received a 7 rather than a 9. The same goes for Mass Effect or Heavy Rain.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

The only time i ever listen to reviews is if they say they game has too many technical setbacks and bugs...from nearly every reviewer.

Avatar image for tuggythetugboat
tuggythetugboat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tuggythetugboat
Member since 2010 • 70 Posts
[QUOTE="Saki-M"]If your waiting for a game and you will know that you love it, suddenly its getting a low score, and users writing it sucks, what will you do? I was pretty much depending on scores all the time. [gamespot, ign, etc....]. I feel a little bit weird to buy a game if everyone saying it sucks. Its like.. losing its value? So one day a friend gave me his copy of necrovision, and i knew about this game but i didnt played it because users didnt liked this game so much. But after i tried it i bought myself a copy because i really, really loved it. If my friend wouldnt give me necrovision ill probably would never picked it up because of the scores/users commets. Also, write a game that you really love, but it got low scores, i think it will be intresting, so i already mentioned necrovision.

It's hard to say, but I do enjoy user reviews more rather than owned company reviews that could easily be payed by the publishers to hype it up more by adding more spice in their reviews. Not saying that happens all the time, but it does occasionally. Overall though I listen to user reviews, and videos more often.
Team2Beat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Team2Beat
Member since 2010 • 235 Posts
If I have been excited for them for a long time I will get them regardless.
HitomiChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HitomiChan
Member since 2009 • 15305 Posts
reviews made me buy Deadspace and its one of my best purchases yer.. X)
LightGalaxy_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LightGalaxy_07
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

hmm maybe 40% affects me but if i really wanna play the game i don't care about what people say about it.. it's their opinion

ch_ris127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 ch_ris127
Member since 2009 • 104 Posts

Depends, most of the time I rely on them to not waste money on crap, but I only trust the PTOM magazine for reviews. Unless the game looks too interesting to be missed, and when they're made by my favorite devs. Usually I ignore games that get lower than 4 stars.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
I am of the opinion that people who let review scores affect their purchases are unable to come to their own conclusions. There is far too much corruption, bias, ignorance, and elitism in the game journalism world to let a hobby I enjoy so much be affected by it.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"]I am of the opinion that people who let review scores affect their purchases are unable to come to their own conclusions. There is far too much corruption, bias, ignorance, and elitism in the game journalism world to let a hobby I enjoy so much be affected by it.

Well, this is coming from someone who owns a Virtual Boy and an N-Gage, so...yeah. :lol: Maybe you have more money than you know what to do with or something, but for most people it is not practical to buy every damn thing that comes out.