PS4 Official Specs released by Sony. 8 Core CPU, 1.84 Tflops GPU and 8GB RAM

• 160 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida has stated that while Sony hasn't disclosed the price of the PS4, the move away from proprietary tech will make it affordable (which if Sony is sane, means $400).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-flexible-on-playstation-4-cost

Also, he stated that neither 3D nor 4K are things the PS4 is focusing on (thankfully).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-wont-support-4k-games-3d-not-a-focus

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

So purchases on to the PS3 to PSN will not go over? How will that affect BC-cloud streaming service? Does it mean that they'll have to start over with the PS4 once BC runs on there?

S0lidSnake

Dont put too much stock in the BC-cloud streaming. they said they were planning on doing that. I dont think it will be available at launch and even when it becomes available, it would be a separate subscription based service like Gaikai. Setting up clusters of PS3 and PS2 servers is going to cost Sony a lot of money and it needs to be paid for.

I am not sure what you mean by starting over. Your PSN purchases arent going to matter on the PS4 just like how your PSN purchases dont mean anything on the Vita. It will be a separate Store for PS4 just like it is for the Vita.

In fairness to the Vita, it does play PS1 games and PS Minis.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

So purchases on to the PS3 to PSN will not go over? How will that affect BC-cloud streaming service? Does it mean that they'll have to start over with the PS4 once BC runs on there?

CarnageHeart

Dont put too much stock in the BC-cloud streaming. they said they were planning on doing that. I dont think it will be available at launch and even when it becomes available, it would be a separate subscription based service like Gaikai. Setting up clusters of PS3 and PS2 servers is going to cost Sony a lot of money and it needs to be paid for.

I am not sure what you mean by starting over. Your PSN purchases arent going to matter on the PS4 just like how your PSN purchases dont mean anything on the Vita. It will be a separate Store for PS4 just like it is for the Vita.

In fairness to the Vita, it does play PS1 games and PS Minis.

It's also backwards compatible to the original PSP. Software emulation is a lot easier for older consoles and handhelds than it is for something like the PS3 which had an alien architecture. The Cell pretty much ruled out BC in future PS consoles so no one should've been expecting BC.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 S0lidSnake

Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida has stated that while Sony hasn't disclosed the price of the PS4, the move away from proprietary tech will make it affordable (which if Sony is sane, means $400).

Also, he stated that neither 3D nor 4K are things the PS4 is focusing on (thankfully).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/playstation-4-wont-support-4k-games-3d-not-a-focus

CarnageHeart

lol just read his statement on 3D. No one cares about 3D anymore, so why should we? :lol:

I will always blame Killzone 3's unpolished and rushed state on their focus on the 3D implementation. Good to see they have wised up.

lol Shameus is gonna love this.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

S0lidSnake

lol just read his statement on 3D. No one cares about 3D anymore, so why should we? :lol:

I will always blame Killzone 3's unpolished and rushed state on their focus on the 3D implementation. Good to see they have wised up.

lol Shameus is gonna love this.

Thank god for no 3D. It's just a gimmick and doesn't enhance the gameplay in any way.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

8GB of GDDR5 RAM is RIDICULOUS. If the Xbox 720 ships with DDR3 you can bet every multiplat game will be superior on PS4.

istuffedsunny

True. PS4 will do any particle effects and large amounts of objects thrown at it effortlessly

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

But my 3d TV...dvader654

Sucker!!!

Seriously though, I loathe 3D in film and games. Such a vapid, needless gimmick.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Sounds like that $430/$530 is legit given the specs. Pretty damn sure Sony doesn't want to reach $450 for the cheapest model, so the odd pricing isn't out of the question. 

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm definitely going to have to upgrade my 720p TV now. 

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#61 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

No PC has 8GB DDR5 RAM. Not even the newest $900 Nvidia GPU.S0lidSnake

The PS4 RAM is shared, so it's not the same thing at all. You can't compare shared RAM whose resources will be allocated for all tasks with dedicated GPU RAM. Also, the GPU details are incredibly scant. The teraflops count is ok, I suppose, but what does that really tell me? How about giving us the clock speeds of this thing? The exact model/series?

It's hard to directly compare it to a PC even though it is basically a custom PC. On paper, I'd call it a mid-range PC, but in reality it's a dedicated gaming machine which should have higher performance.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

My new PS3 better not break, ever.dvader654

Seriously. I think I will need to invest in an air-conditioned, bullet proof lockbox to store my launch PS3 in. :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts
great spec for the console. if sony price it just right (get in a 450 with a 250GB HDD) and get some big guns out for launch then it should do far better than the PS3. we havent had a GT in ages...maybe something to keep an eye out for at E3. finally sony have learned and made a system thats actually dev friendly. the 8GB of ram was a nice surprise and most welcome. its interesitng to see the shift in thinking from all 3 manufacturers....be more generous with the ram. dont worry about the GHz figure on the CPU. dont even fret too much about Tflops. spend more on ram. we do have the DDR3 vs Gddr5 debate coming now though. GDDR5 offers a lot more bandwidth but also introduces quite a bit more latency. will that really be a problem for games? have nintendo and MS made the right call going for DDr3 instead or will the extra bandwidth make a big difference? does MS have a trick up its sleeve to even up the figures a bit more (a big lump of ED ram in a similar setup to the wiiu perhaps?). itll be interesting to see the effect of this decision.....if any. one thing i am dissapointed with is the BD drive. i would have liked it to be faster. only 6X when 8X drives are available is a bit dissapointing. with tons of ram to fill loading times (something sonys platforms always seem to struggle with) could again be a pain. bigger installs? i hope not. as other have noted i would also like to know how much will be for games and how much will the OS take up? will sony partition the ram up a bit, 1 GB for the OS, 1 GB for loading buffers and the rest for games? or will they try to keep the OS footprint as small as possible and let devs use the rest as they wish? the thing i am most interested to see going forward though is not so much the graphics but the physics and other tasks that can be done on the GPU. devs have scratched the surface a little bit on the PC but they havent really gone nuts on it. just some extra particles and better cloth on flags. so i hope to see this side of the tech get pushed more on all platforms. but yes, major kudos to sony. after building two horrific consoles (hardware wise) they have finally managed to build a system devs will actually like and playstation customers shouldn't run into the same problems they had with the PS3.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Vari3ty

great spec for the console. if sony price it just right (get in a 450 with a 250GB HDD) .osan0

250? It better be at least 500. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]No PC has 8GB DDR5 RAM. Not even the newest $900 Nvidia GPU.UpInFlames

The PS4 RAM is shared, so it's not the same thing at all. You can't compare shared RAM whose resources will be allocated for all tasks with dedicated GPU RAM. Also, the GPU details are incredibly scant. The teraflops count is ok, I suppose, but what does that really tell me? How about giving us the clock speeds of this thing? The exact model/series?

It's hard to directly compare it to a PC even though it is basically a custom PC. On paper, I'd call it a mid-range PC, but in reality it's a dedicated gaming machine which should have higher performance.

When it was rumroed to be 4GB, they had allocated 0.5GB for the OS and other multemedia tasks. Nothing has changed that will add take up more RAM, so even if we assume that 1GB will be reserved for the OS and every other multimedia task, the PS4 has 7GB of DDR5 RAM. That is still more than what's on a $1K Nvidia Titan. 

What kind of details are you looking for? It's based on the GCN architecture with 18 compute units running at 800Mhz each. That's down from 1000 Mhz most of their high end laptop GPUs use. They cant give you an exact model because it's custom built for the PS4. The CPU and GPU are on the same die which is something AMD hasn't even put out on PC yet. 

They key thing is that they have dedicated processors that handle audio and video encoders, and an additional ARM core that handles background downloading and other background tasks so all the 8 CPU cores and the 18 CPU units are dedicated for gaming and gaming alone. That along with 7GB of dedicated GGDR5 RAM will make it future proof as well. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="osan0"]great spec for the console. if sony price it just right (get in a 450 with a 250GB HDD) .Vari3ty

After the 8GB bombshell, i wouldn't be so surprised to sell a SKU with a cheaper HDD. They will have to save costs any way they can.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="osan0"]great spec for the console. if sony price it just right (get in a 450 with a 250GB HDD) .S0lidSnake

After the 8GB bombshell, i wouldn't be so surprised to sell a SKU with a cheaper HDD. They will have to save costs any way they can.

250 just isn't going to cut it. They were talking about how the console would download games it predicts you will buy, before you even buy them. 250 is just way too small for such a feature. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Vari3ty

250 just isn't going to cut it. They were talking about how the console would download games it predicts you will buy, before you even buy them. 250 is just way too small for such a feature. 

Well you can always upgrade it yourself. Most people dont care about downloading games digitally and buy retail. Why pass the cost to them? If someone wants a bigger HDD they can either get a more expensive version or better yet buy it themselves. I bought a 1TB HDD a year and a half ago for only $60.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]So compared to the highest end PC this is?S0lidSnake

No PC has 8GB DDR5 RAM. Not even the newest $900 Nvidia GPU. 

That said, the $900 Nvidia GPU has around 6Tflops of power while the PS4 only has around 2Tflops. Having that kind of power in a small console is simply not possible, that thing will burn to the ground in one day. Not to mention your electricity bill is gonna skyrocket.

What's here is extremely powerful. Designed to get the most performance out of the hardware. They have seperate processors for the video recording and an audio processor just to handle the audio. Now the CPU wont have to worry about those things freeing up more resources that allow for even better graphics. This is simply the best thing Sony has ever produced. 

While I don't know of any PC that has 8GB of RAM on the video card itself, my new laptop will have 12GB of DDR3 system memory and 3 GB of GDDR5 just for video. That is a bit better than what the PS4 has in the RAM department and it isn't shared RAM, it is all dedicated.

Sure the GeForce GTX TITAN has 6 GB of GDDR5 on it, but again it isn't shared. The chip in the PS4 is a combination CPU/GPU and will have to share both video and audio processing with the RAM.

Shinotachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 Shinotachi
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]So compared to the highest end PC this is?S0lidSnake

No PC has 8GB DDR5 RAM. Not even the newest $900 Nvidia GPU. 

That said, the $900 Nvidia GPU has around 6Tflops of power while the PS4 only has around 2Tflops. Having that kind of power in a small console is simply not possible, that thing will burn to the ground in one day. Not to mention your electricity bill is gonna skyrocket.

What's here is extremely powerful. Designed to get the most performance out of the hardware. They have seperate processors for the video recording and an audio processor just to handle the audio. Now the CPU wont have to worry about those things freeing up more resources that allow for even better graphics. This is simply the best thing Sony has ever produced. 

Well the GTX 680 has about 3.1 TFLOPS and it retails for half of the Titan.  The 670 is about 90% of the speed of a 680, non overclocked, so it probably has around 2.75-2.9 TFLOPS - and they only go for $330-350. And that's from tech that's almost a year old now... SOURCE: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

I'm pretty unimpressed TBH. Yeah sure, it has 8 GB of GDDR5 ram (which admittedly is pretty great), but it's also shared.  I'm curious if it has options to upgrade to SSD in the future, because that's where PC gaming is heading - hell some can argue that it's already here.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#71 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69780 Posts

When it was rumroed to be 4GB, they had allocated 0.5GB for the OS and other multemedia tasks. Nothing has changed that will add take up more RAM, so even if we assume that 1GB will be reserved for the OS and every other multimedia task, the PS4 has 7GB of DDR5 RAM. That is still more than what's on a $1K Nvidia Titan. 

What kind of details are you looking for? It's based on the GCN architecture with 18 compute units running at 800Mhz each. That's down from 1000 Mhz most of their high end laptop GPUs use. They cant give you an exact model because it's custom built for the PS4. The CPU and GPU are on the same die which is something AMD hasn't even put out on PC yet. 

They key thing is that they have dedicated processors that handle audio and video encoders, and an additional ARM core that handles background downloading and other background tasks so all the 8 CPU cores and the 18 CPU units are dedicated for gaming and gaming alone. That along with 7GB of dedicated GGDR5 RAM will make it future proof as well. 

S0lidSnake

Comparing shared memory to dedicated memory is just silly. I hope you know that the RAM would also be used for... I don't know non graphical related assets. Coupled that with the fact that some of this shared RAM would be used for non gaming applications and multi-tasking. When it was rumored that MS was going to have 8GB of RAM (shared) there wasn't much discussion with regards to the RAM being used for non gaming purposes. I know someone posted that MS OS is going to use 3GB of the 8GB but thats just foolish and people say foolish things.

Also look up what an AMD APU. It would address your "The CPU and GPU are on the same die which is something AMD hasn't even put out on PC yet." I am guessing you are refering to the Kabini and Tamesh which is the upgraded version of last years APUs which is pending release Q2.

This is not a dedicated gaming machine just like the PS3 and Xbox 360. They are expanding the capabilities of the system and they spent the first hour tirelessly explaining many of the non gaming features.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Pedro

Comparing shared memory to dedicated memory is just silly. I hope you know that the RAM would also be used for... I don't know non graphical related assets. Coupled that with the fact that some of this shared RAM would be used for non gaming applications and multi-tasking. When it was rumored that MS was going to have 8GB of RAM (shared) there wasn't much discussion with regards to the RAM being used for non gaming purposes. I know someone posted that MS OS is going to use 3GB of the 8GB but thats just foolish and people say foolish things.

Also look up what an AMD APU. It would address your "The CPU and GPU are on the same die which is something AMD hasn't even put out on PC yet." I am guessing you are refering to the Kabini and Tamesh which is the upgraded version of last years APUs which is pending release Q2.

This is not a dedicated gaming machine just like the PS3 and Xbox 360. They are expanding the capabilities of the system and they spent the first hour tirelessly explaining many of the non gaming features.

lol silly. foolish. You chose to ignore every single leaked spec of the PS4 and now you are doing the same. No one's pulling out the specs out of their ass. All of these official documents have been leaked but feel free to call people who are simply relaying the information foolish. Whether or not they end up using 3GB of the OS remains to be seen, but MULTIPLE sources confirmed the same thing so that was obviously part of Microsoft's original plan. 

I am kinda tired of arguing with you, didnt bother replying to your other post because I just dont care for the way you throw around subtle insults and ignore facts when they are staring you right in your face. You cherry pick arguments and use those to dismiss entire claims much like UIF. When you are told that the entire PS3 OS uses 50MB of RAM, you ignore that and call the entire comparison silly. It's that PC gamer mentality that simply refuses to accept the fact that a closed platform console could do great things with a weaker GPU, fewer RAM and low powered CPU. I've seen this before. It happened last gen when no PC with 512MB of RAM could run Crysis yet the PS3 was able to run it with 512MB of RAM with the OS overhead and everything. We know that the 512MB of GDDR5 RAM was reserved for the OS when it was 4GB. That's 10X what the PS3 uses. They have already taken the streaming, the os overhead, the apps, the standby mode, the ps eye and everything else into account. This extra 4GB is a very new addition and all these services were designed to work on 512MB of RAM anyway. There is no denying that 3.5 MB of that RAM was dedicated for gaming just like VRAM on graphics card is dedicated for gaming. Now that figure has doubled. 

Like I said, I am done arguing with you. You can reply to this post and I will read it but dont expect a response back. I dont mind talking about games and specs and technology but this arguing for the sake of arguing, ignoring facts, cherry picking, moving goal posts and a general disdain towards my arguments labelling them silly and foolish ( when i could've done the same after you were proven wrong again and again) is not my idea of fun. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Pedro

lol silly. foolish. You chose to ignore every single leaked spec of the PS4 and now you are doing the same. No one's pulling out the specs out of their ass. All of these official documents have been leaked but feel free to call people who are simply relaying the information foolish. Whether or not they end up using 3GB of the OS remains to be seen, but MULTIPLE sources confirmed the same thing so that was obviously part of Microsoft's original plan. 

I am kinda tired of arguing with you, didnt bother replying to your other post because I just dont care for the way you throw around subtle insults and ignore facts when they are staring you right in your face. You cherry pick arguments and use those to dismiss entire claims much like UIF. When you are told that the entire PS3 OS uses 50MB of RAM, you ignore that and call the entire comparison silly. It's that PC gamer mentality that simply refuses to accept the fact that a closed platform console could do great things with a weaker GPU, fewer RAM and low powered CPU. I've seen this before. It happened last gen when no PC with 512MB of RAM could run Crysis yet the PS3 was able to run it with 512MB of RAM with the OS overhead and everything. We know that the 512MB of GDDR5 RAM was reserved for the OS when it was 4GB. That's 10X what the PS3 uses. They have already taken the streaming, the os overhead, the apps, the standby mode, the ps eye and everything else into account. This extra 4GB is a very new addition and all these services were designed to work on 512MB of RAM anyway. There is no denying that 3.5 MB of that RAM was dedicated for gaming just like VRAM on graphics card is dedicated for gaming. Now that figure has doubled. 

Like I said, I am done arguing with you. You can reply to this post and I will read it but dont expect a response back. I dont mind talking about games and specs and technology but this arguing for the sake of arguing, ignoring facts, cherry picking, moving goal posts and a general disdain towards my arguments labelling them silly and foolish ( when i could've done the same after you were proven wrong again and again) is not my idea of fun. 

S0lidSnake

Firstly you can rely on your rumor as a source. I am basing my claims off that funny thing called FACTS. MS OS would not exceed the requirements of their desktop counterparts on a closed and "dedicated" system. To believe that is just silly (I am using mild words ).  You are aware that their OS runs on a variety of mobile systems with significantly less RAM...right? You are also aware that Windows 8 a desktop OS can run very well with as little as 1GB of RAM in addition to facilitating the use of programs...right? So, stop citing these rumors as some factual basis. Now if you are going to argue that 3GB is going to be set aside for non gaming applications then you would most likely be correct and the same would also apply to PS4. If you think that 7GB would be used exclusively for gaming you are going to be SEVERELY disappointed.

The Crysis that is running on the PS3 is based on Crysis 2 engine which was DESIGNED to run on consoles. The PS3 CANNOT run the original Crysis and is the soles reason that the makers of the engine were FORCED to revise their strategy and embraced the advantages of multiplatform flexibility. So your claim is still incorrect even though you believe it to be the opposite.

Another fact that none of you guys can prove (because its mostly BS) is the overhead of the OS on the PC. Go on find some semblance of data that shows the "massive" degradation of performance because of the OS on the PC or any system as a matter fact.

Now show me the official docs that the everything that was shown was initially designed to be done in 512MB and that 8GB was a last minute addition. Now don't get me wrong, I think that 512MB is more than enough for most of the background OS dependent features but I would be foolish to think that Sony has not alotted RAM for third party apps that would be independent of the gaming applications.

And Mr Solid, you do have a tendency to state stuff as facts or imply things are factual and at times comment on things you don't fully understand, then you get bent out of shape when your inaccuracies are brought into the light. And just so you are not clouded by misconceptions I game on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. I enjoy gaming on all of them. I don't have this silly allegiance to PC gaming or console gaming when in the end its all the freaking same. 

Sheik2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Sheik2
Member since 2005 • 46 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Pedro

Firstly you can rely on your rumor as a source. I am basing my claims off that funny thing called FACTS. MS OS would not exceed the requirements of their desktop counterparts on a closed and "dedicated" system. To believe that is just silly (I am using mild words ).  You are aware that their OS runs on a variety of mobile systems with significantly less RAM...right? You are also aware that Windows 8 a desktop OS can run very well with as little as 1GB of RAM in addition to facilitating the use of programs...right? So, stop citing these rumors as some factual basis. Now if you are going to argue that 3GB is going to be set aside for non gaming applications then you would most likely be correct and the same would also apply to PS4. If you think that 7GB would be used exclusively for gaming you are going to be SEVERELY disappointed.

The Crysis that is running on the PS3 is based on Crysis 2 engine which was DESIGNED to run on consoles. The PS3 CANNOT run the original Crysis and is the soles reason that the makers of the engine were FORCED to revise their strategy and embraced the advantages of multiplatform flexibility. So your claim is still incorrect even though you believe it to be the opposite.

Another fact that none of you guys can prove (because its mostly BS) is the overhead of the OS on the PC. Go on find some semblance of data that shows the "massive" degradation of performance because of the OS on the PC or any system as a matter fact.

Now show me the official docs that the everything that was shown was initially designed to be done in 512MB and that 8GB was a last minute addition. Now don't get me wrong, I think that 512MB is more than enough for most of the background OS dependent features but I would be foolish to think that Sony has not alotted RAM for third party apps that would be independent of the gaming applications.

And Mr Solid, you do have a tendency to state stuff as facts or imply things are factual and at times comment on things you don't fully understand, then you get bent out of shape when your inaccuracies are brought into the light. And just so you are not clouded by misconceptions I game on the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. I enjoy gaming on all of them. I don't have this silly allegiance to PC gaming or console gaming when in the end its all the freaking same. 

Talk all you want, but from what I've read, S0lidSnake is right. You suffer from the typical PC gamer mentality of just wanting to show inferiority in consoles. Go and play with your PC, no one cares. Really.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Pedro

Talk all you want, but from what I've read, S0lidSnake is right. You suffer from the typical PC gamer mentality of just wanting to show inferiority in consoles. Go and play with your PC, no one cares. Really.

Sheik2

You have nothing to offer and you responded so you do care. :)

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

[QUOTE="Sheik2"]

Pedro

You have nothing to offer and you responded so you do care. :)

Maybe like me he's just sick of the PC elitist gamer attitude that has reared it's ugly head again now that we know how powerful the PS4 will be. They always have to be right.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Pedro

Maybe like me he's just sick of the PC elitist gamer attitude that has reared it's ugly head again now that we know how powerful the PS4 will be. They always have to be right.MonoSilver

Strange, I don't see any PC elitist gamer attitude in this thread. 

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#79 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Maybe like me he's just sick of the PC elitist gamer attitude that has reared it's ugly head again now that we know how powerful the PS4 will be. They always have to be right.MonoSilver
That's because they care more about hardware than software, hence they're a bunch of bored people whose only consolation is go online and post their system specs on forums.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]No PC has 8GB DDR5 RAM. Not even the newest $900 Nvidia GPU.S0lidSnake

Being shared doesn't just include OS and multimedia allocation. Even for the games themselves, the available RAM will have to act as both system memory and GPU memory. The allocation will change depending on the game, so you can't claim X amount of RAM is for this and Y for that. That's the whole problem with shared RAM, you don't know how much of it is dedicated for anything.

Also, RAM isn't everything. If the clock speeds are too low, it's going to create a bottleneck making the excess RAM virtually useless.

Are the clock speeds confirmed?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 S0lidSnake

UpInFlames

Indirectly confirmed. 18 CU running at 800 Mhz amount to 1.84Tflops which is the figure Sony has up on their specs. This is the same figure that was in the leaked specs. Same with the CPU. Jaguar cores running at 1.6 Ghz. 

I clicked on the link to find any confirmations on the clock speeds but they seem to have been taken down. 

EDIT: I know ram isn't everything, but all the developers welcomed it... all of them. So it must be a nice thing to have. 

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 UpInFlames

That's because they care more about hardware than software, hence they're a bunch of bored people whose only consolation is go online and post their system specs on forums.Black_Knight_00

This is a thread about hardware and no one's forcing you to participate. Especially if all you bring to the table are veiled insults.

PC gamers care about hardware as well as software, that's what makes us PC gamers.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

S0lidSnake

Indirectly confirmed. 18 CU running at 800 Mhz amount to 1.84Tflops which is the figure Sony has up on their specs. This is the same figure that was in the leaked specs. Same with the CPU. Jaguar cores running at 1.6 Ghz. 

I clicked on the link to find any confirmations on the clock speeds but they seem to have been taken down. 

EDIT: I know ram isn't everything, but all the developers welcomed it... all of them. So it must be a nice thing to have. 

Definitely.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]That's because they care more about hardware than software, hence they're a bunch of bored people whose only consolation is go online and post their system specs on forums.UpInFlames

This is a thread about hardware and no one's forcing you to participate. Especially if all you bring to the table are veiled insults.

PC gamers care about hardware as well as software, that's what makes us PC gamers.

My remark was on PC elitists, but hey: take offense if you really want to.
Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts

Oh wow. Mic bundled with the system. Playstation Eye has Facial Recognition Technology too. 

S0lidSnake
This is excelent news. The one thing i didn't like about playing online with the PS3. All kinds of bluetooth mics, most of them pretty bad.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Oh wow. Mic bundled with the system. Playstation Eye has Facial Recognition Technology too.

Solid_Snake_7

This is excelent news. The one thing i didn't like about playing online with the PS3. All kinds of bluetooth mics, most of them pretty bad.

I was fine with the fact a lot of gamers on PSN didn't have mics. My experiences with online gaming indicate a lot more people sh!t talk than exchange info about the match in progress. Oh well. Muting people is easy.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="Solid_Snake_7"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

CarnageHeart

I was fine with the fact a lot of gamers on PSN didn't have mics. My experiences with online gaming indicate a lot more people sh!t talk than exchange info about the match in progress. Oh well. Muting people is easy.

I just like that I won't have to pay more for a headset besides the console price. 

Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Tixylixx
Member since 2011 • 312 Posts
Isn't the Geforce 680 3Tflops.... doesn't make the PS4 GPU impressive at all. I thought that AMD CPU was designed to compete with Intel's Atom CPUs, which at 1.6ghrz makes sense and with AMDs poor single core performance, developers are really going to have to multithread their games now.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#89 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I'm definitely going to have to upgrade my 720p TV now.

Vari3ty

I was thinking about getting a 1080p HDTV in time for the new console launches. While having a theater-sized Toshiba TV looks great, I think I'd like to play my games with a MUCH MUCH better view than before, not to mention looking really great on it. I guess seeing Killzone: Shadow Fall on 1080p resolution on Youtube convinced me to look for something in that direction.

My problem is how many HDTVs are out there and which one offers the best performance. Too many to choose from!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Pedro
Isn't the Geforce 680 3Tflops.... doesn't make the PS4 GPU impressive at all.Tixylixx
Well for a console it is impressive. Keep in mind that console development encourages making more with less thus the reason there are a lot of console games that look better than some PC games which require higher specs. PC devs tend to be too reliant on "you need a faster computer" than optimizing and writing efficient code. Luckily, things have changed and they are not as sloppy as before.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]That's because they care more about hardware than software, hence they're a bunch of bored people whose only consolation is go online and post their system specs on forums.Black_Knight_00

And where exactly do you see PC elitists in this thread?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

UpInFlames

When have I ever made reference to this particular thread? A guy made a comment about the annoying attitude of PC elitist and I I made a general remark as to why I think they behave as they do.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 UpInFlames

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] My remark was on PC elitists, but hey: take offense if you really want to.Black_Knight_00

When have I ever made reference to this particular thread? A guy made a comment about the annoying attitude of PC elitist and I I made a general remark as to why I think they behave as they do.

The guy you quoted was talking about Pedro and probably every other PC gamer in this thread, but let's pretend it was about something else.

Regardless, both his and yours comments were needless.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

UpInFlames

The guy you quoted was talking about Pedro and probably every other PC gamer in this thread, but let's pretend it was about something else.

Regardless, both his and yours comments were needless.

Needless doesn't equal wrong
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#95 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Can't say I fully understand all that technical stuff, but the games will look incredible, and PS4 will undoubtably be head-and-shoulders above any competition.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#96 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The PS4 seems great in writing. I anticipate a good experience when it is finally on sale.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

S0lidSnake

They took town the specs off the Japan site for some reason, but they now have this posted on the US site: https://secure.webassets.scea.com/pscomauth/groups/public/documents/webasset/feb21/pdf/playstation4_specification.pdf

alexwatchtower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 alexwatchtower
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

Kind of disappointed to see these consoles come in so far behind PC's in terms of GPUs and TFLOPs this time around. I'm pretty sure when the 360 came out Xenos was basically introducing new GPU technology with its fancy newer shaders not quite fully available on PC graphics cards at the time and due to manufacturing issues and low yields, it managed to impress for a little awhile.

Looks like this time around even a mid range PC will hang with the new consoles in theoretical power anyway. Games should be well optimized and should still wow when they come out if these developers have indeed been working on them for some time. I can't except excuses for crap, rushed launch games with an 8 year console cycle.

If this is going to be the case from here on out, why even bother with consoles and multiple SKU's? If these companies aren't willing to take the significant losses on hardware in order to introduce mind blowing next gen graphics and are changing their business models, why not just decide a standardized controller option and just move over to the PC platform? It's really up to us gamers, but I don't see the big deal in taking a nice laptop, plugging in a nice controller, and hooking it up to the HDTV in the living room if we really want that console experience. If more people start doing that, I see developers following along as well. Heck we gotta upgrade PC's every 4 years anyway.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Vari3ty

Kind of disappointed to see these consoles come in so far behind PC's in terms of GPUs and TFLOPs this time around. I'm pretty sure when the 360 came out Xenos was basically introducing new GPU technology with its fancy newer shaders not quite fully available on PC graphics cards at the time and due to manufacturing issues and low yields, it managed to impress for a little awhile.

Looks like this time around even a mid range PC will hang with the new consoles in theoretical power anyway. Games should be well optimized and should still wow when they come out if these developers have indeed been working on them for some time. I can't except excuses for crap, rushed launch games with an 8 year console cycle.

If this is going to be the case from here on out, why even bother with consoles and multiple SKU's? If these companies aren't willing to take the significant losses on hardware in order to introduce mind blowing next gen graphics and are changing their business models, why not just decide a standardized controller option and just move over to the PC platform? It's really up to us gamers, but I don't see the big deal in taking a nice laptop, plugging in a nice controller, and hooking it up to the HDTV in the living room if we really want that console experience. If more people start doing that, I see developers following along as well. Heck we gotta upgrade PC's every 4 years anyway.

alexwatchtower

Good luck getting an affordable laptop that can run every game thrown at it no problem. The problem with the PC is it's just not plug and play, even with digital distribution services like Steam or Origin. Consoles on the other hand are designed specifically for games - if a console and a PC have the same hardware, the console is going to be able to do a lot more with that hardware as a result. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 S0lidSnake

alexwatchtower

A nice gaming laptop costs well over $1K right now. ragnaar bought a laptop last month with specs similar to the PS4 with not nearly as much VRAM and it cost him nearly $1500. That;s why not. They need to build something that is affordable and lasts 5-6 years.