PS4 Official Specs released by Sony. 8 Core CPU, 1.84 Tflops GPU and 8GB RAM

• 160 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I didnt want to bury this new info in the other thread. These are OFFICIAL specs from Sony themselves. So yeah, the leaked specs were pretty accurate. Even the ridiculous bit about Sony trying to bring the RAM upto 8GB from 4GB. Insane. 

These official documents contain a lot of info on practically everything about the console. 

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele.../130221a_e.pdf

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele.../130221a_e.pdf

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/rele.../130221c_e.pdf

console.png

controller.png

I think this pretty much rules out a $300 console. It also puts pressure on MS to match Sony's specs. Stakes have been raised. 

#2 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

8 GBs is incredible. Games are going to look amazing. 

Pretty much every rumor came true, so this always online thing has me wondering though...

I also feel like if Microsoft is using 8 GBs of much slower RAM (3 of which are supposedly taken up by the OS), they may have to make some changes. 

#3 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
So compared to the highest end PC this is?
#4 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

So compared to the highest end PC this is?dvader654
I'm a bit of a noob, but the RAM is fantastic, while the processor and GPU are merely good.  As a dedicated game machine, I think it'll be a beast.

#5 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18419 posts) -
I loved this conference. The PS4 is shaping up to be incredible even at launch. The only small downside is the controller, which looks a tad ugly to me, but at least the triggers look legit this time. Microsoft will have to pull something huge out their sleeve, as after what we've seen tonight they are starting from behind the behind.
#6 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

No PC has 8GB DDR5 RAM. Not even the newest $900 Nvidia GPU. 

That said, the $900 Nvidia GPU has around 6Tflops of power while the PS4 only has around 2Tflops. Having that kind of power in a small console is simply not possible, that thing will burn to the ground in one day. Not to mention your electricity bill is gonna skyrocket.

What's here is extremely powerful. Designed to get the most performance out of the hardware. They have seperate processors for the video recording and an audio processor just to handle the audio. Now the CPU wont have to worry about those things freeing up more resources that allow for even better graphics. This is simply the best thing Sony has ever produced. 

#7 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

Well highest end PC tend to get a tad bit ridiculous. This system is an interesting concoction because its using a netbook processor for the GPU and most likely a midrange PC GPU with a healthy dose of RAM. I am not sure what to make of it since the system feels a bit loop sided. The CPU is great for multi tasking but not for single thread application so, I expect it run very smoothly between the OS and the games. I am also very much interested in the allocation of memory because I am absolutely certain that 8GB is not available for gaming. It would have been nice to get the details on that. Overall, I think the system is pretty capable.

#8 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]So compared to the highest end PC this is?rragnaar

I'm a bit of a noob, but the RAM is fantastic, while the processor and GPU are merely good.  As a dedicated game machine, I think it'll be a beast.

Pretty much. But i think the GPU is more than merely good. The specs talk about the GPUs ability to perform calculations that are usually handled by the CPU, so expect some insane physics based stuff from developers who dont just want to buy the shiniest game possible. 

#9 Posted by Tokeism (2332 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]So compared to the highest end PC this is?S0lidSnake

That said, the $900 Nvidia GPU has around 6Tflops of power while the PS4 only has around 2Tflops. Having that kind of power in a small console is simply not possible, that thing will burn to the ground in one day. Not to mention your electricity bill is gonna skyrocket.

What's here is extremely powerful. Designed to get the most performance out of the hardware. They have seperate processors for the video recording and an audio processor just to handle the audio. Now the CPU wont have to worry about those things freeing up more resources that allow for even better graphics. This is simply the best thing Sony has ever produced. 

You seem to know a bit about hardware, what do think the price will be?
#10 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]So compared to the highest end PC this is?Tokeism

You seem to know a bit about hardware, what do think the price will be?

I was dead wrong on the price. I dont want to make anymore predictions and look even more stupid. :lol:

[spoiler] $399 ;p [/spoiler]  

#11 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

S0lidSnake

Well if you Quad SLI or Crossfire you would but that its besides the point. While PCs may not specifically have 8GB of DDR5 RAM it is good to keep in perspective that RAM on the GPU is seperate to RAM accessible to the CPU. The average PC gamer would have 4GB of system and 1GB of graphic memory. Also lets not make the incorrect assumption that 8GB is dedicated to gaming. Also the performance of the GPU is along the lines of the AMD 7850 GPU.

#12 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Oh wow. Mic bundled with the system. Playstation Eye has Facial Recognition Technology too. 

#13 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Oh wow. Mic bundled with the system. Playstation Eye has Facial Recognition Technology too. 

S0lidSnake

They're including mics now? Thank god. No need to spend $50 on a Bluetooth headset anymore.

#14 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

The tech is crazy. Be interesting to see how much it all costs. I like what Sony is doing but its a bit surprising they didn't err on the side of affordability.

#15 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

S0lidSnake

Does that means the price goes up to $500?

#16 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The tech is crazy. Be interesting to see how much it all costs. I like what Sony is doing but its a bit surprising they didn't err on the side of affordability.

CarnageHeart

the integrated CPU/GPU ALU should save them some cash. Rmeember its made by AMD, the GPU is only as powerful as a high end 2010 GPU and should be relatively cheap. I think the 8GB of RAM might be the most expensive part of this machine. I personally think that they could've released a $299 console without the playstation eye or mic and with only 4GB of RAM and taken a small loss on it. Instead they probably said f*ck it, let's bundle PS Eye with every console to make sure MS doesn't run away with the sales if Kinect 2 becomes a success and while we are at it, include a cheap mic and up the RAM. They have effectively future proofed their system while keeping that cost at $399. 

#17 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

CarnageHeart

I'm kind of glad they haven't. As long as they aren't pricing this thing over $500, I'd rather see them pull out all the stops instead of sacrifice features in some areas to make the console more affordable. 

#18 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Pedro

Read my post above, and do you really think they will launch a console at $500 again?

#19 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

Read my post above, and do you really think they will launch a console at $500 again?

S0lidSnake

I think they would make the Playstation Eye optional which would make the price $399.

I would also be very interesting to see if anyone hacks the system and installs Windows on it, especially since its using x86 processor.

#20 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Pedro

I think they would make the Playstation Eye optional which would make the price $399.

I would also be very interesting to see if anyone hacks the system and installs Windows on it, especially since its using x86 processor.

Isn't PS Eye required for the Move functionality in the Dualshock? If so I have a hard time seeing them making it optional. 

#21 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Vari3ty

Isn't PS Eye required for the Move functionality in the Dualshock? If so I have a hard time seeing them making it optional. 

Good point. The specs listed on their website talk about the ps eye as if its included in every console. 

It's going to be very interesting to see what they retail it for. 8GB of GDDR5 changes everything. 

#22 Posted by juradai (2783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

I don't know, Solid. People already buy iPads at that price. I don't see it as being out of the question.
#23 Posted by Planeforger (15639 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

I do. If they're aiming to be the most powerful console, then they're inevitably going to be the most expensive console on the market. $400 seems far too low for what they're offering, not without some serious compromises. 

Also, they launched at $600 last gen, while the 360 launched very successfully at $500 for the serious gaming model. I can definitely see them copying Microsoft's pricing here.

#24 Posted by juradai (2783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

S0lidSnake

Good point. The specs listed on their website talk about the ps eye as if its included in every console. 

It's going to be very interesting to see what they retail it for. 8GB of GDDR5 changes everything. 

I think the 8gb ram is going to be necessary for 4K resolution when it finally hits the consumer market. I wouldn't doubt that that played a part in their decision to put it in.
#25 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

I think the 8gb ram is going to be necessary for 4K resolution when it finally hits the consumer market. I wouldn't doubt that that played a part in their decision to put it in. juradai

But that is so far away that its not really applicable and RAM does not change the fact that you would still be GPU limited. More RAM allows for less data fetching from the HDD. All of that RAM is to facilitate all of the non gaming features that were mentioned.

#26 Posted by juradai (2783 posts) -

[QUOTE="juradai"]I think the 8gb ram is going to be necessary for 4K resolution when it finally hits the consumer market. I wouldn't doubt that that played a part in their decision to put it in. Pedro

But that is so far away that its not really applicable and RAM does not change the fact that you would still be GPU limited. More RAM allows for less data fetching from the HDD. All of that RAM is to facilitate all of the non gaming features that were mentioned.

I don't think 4k is that far away. We are talking about another 10 year console cycle. I'm with you on the use of the RAM for all the non-gaming features it just seems to me like that is still a bit overkill for what they have announced.
#27 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -
As glad as I am for 8 gigs of RAM, I'm starting to believe that 2 SKU model leak will be legit. $430 tard, $530 real edition. I'd love a single 400 dollar sku but theres no way.
#28 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

... and we're back.

#29 Posted by c_rakestraw (14626 posts) -

Still surprised they went for 8GBs of RAM. That's insane. Really curious how Sony's studios will make use of that. I just hope the console doesn't end up being outrageously priced because of it.

As glad as I am for 8 gigs of RAM, I'm starting to believe that 2 SKU model leak will be legit. $430 tard, $530 real edition. I'd love a single 400 dollar sku but theres no way.F1Lengend

I think the days of a single SKU are long gone. The success they saw this generation is proof of that.

#30 Posted by Strakha (1786 posts) -

Not as exotic as the usual Sony console design. Developers are going to love that, though the use of GDDR5 as shared RAM that will be used for both system and video RAM makes it a bit exotic. It makes the design interesting given the high latency of GDDR5. It's great when used as video RAM due to the high bandwidth but in some processes it's not ideal for system RAM to have high latency, thus why it isn't used as main RAM in PCs. 

#31 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
Well this thread lost me but it all sounds good. I think one SKU will not have the eye.
#32 Posted by trugs26 (5398 posts) -

I think Sony did good with the timing of this conference. Getting a general buzz around the console with some demos, specs and functionality. Leaving E3 open for launch games, price and release date. 

#33 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
#34 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Very nice specs, overall the system should be quite strong graphically for a few years anyways.
#35 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#36 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -
Well if we all start saving up now we can afford it at launch, no matter how expensive it is. :) I'm glad they made it so powerful, it future proofs it in a way.
#37 Posted by -Unreal- (24542 posts) -

8GB of memory is probably going to be plenty for a very long time. Not sure about the central processor but it looks like it's nothing spectacular. Graphics processing power shown there in teraflops is probably around that of a mid range nVidia desktop PC based card like a 660 ti. Bu as far as I know this doesn't really say much.

EDIT okay reading those specs it seems the memory must be unified/shared so it's not entirely comparable in terms of saying "yeah PS4 has 8GB of dedicated graphics memory". I think the new Titan cards have something like 6GB of their own VRAM on them if I remember right.

#38 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18419 posts) -
#39 Posted by Metamania (11997 posts) -

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]You will be able to play used games, confirmed. http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sonys-yushida-used-games-can-play-on-a-ps4/CarnageHeart

I suspect the X720 will play used games as well.

It will. There's no way that Sony and Microsoft could ignore the used-sales business and how much profit it does for them and for the retailers that sell them consistently. It brings them a lot of money. They would be foolish not to.

#40 Posted by istuffedsunny (6984 posts) -

8GB of GDDR5 RAM is RIDICULOUS. If the Xbox 720 ships with DDR3 you can bet every multiplat game will be superior on PS4.

#41 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#42 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I do. If they're aiming to be the most powerful console, then they're inevitably going to be the most expensive console on the market. $400 seems far too low for what they're offering, not without some serious compromises. 

Also, they launched at $600 last gen, while the 360 launched very successfully at $500 for the serious gaming model. I can definitely see them copying Microsoft's pricing here.

Planeforger

The XB360 never had a $500 dollar launch sku. (It did have the 479.00 Elite model two years later)

The basic model for the XB360 was $299 and the premium was $399.

The PS3 had the baseline model that was $499 and the deluxe which was$599.

Given how poorly the PS3 sold initially, the consensus among many is that these new console need to launch at under $400.   

#43 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

The PS4 isn't B/C with anything on the PS3 including PSN games such as Journey and The Walking Dead and game saves. Given the lack of B/C it doesn't surprise me, but it surprised Destructoid so I thought it was worth posting here.

In news that is sure to encourage grimacing and facepalming, Sony has confirmed purchases made on the PlayStation Network will not carry over from PS3 to PS4. Same goes for your game saves, too. For Christ's sake, Sony ... you just couldn't resist gunning for some bad PR.

Shuhei Yoshida told a roundtable (including our own Dale North) the PS4's innards are too different from the PS3, and the company is trying to avoid draining the system's power with emulation. Although plans are being looked into to get PS3 games playable in some form on the system, it appears anything you do right now on the PS3 will remain bound there.

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/psn-purchases-will-not-carry-over-to-playstation-4-246229.phtml#tMqGBZkW6jyqvyZT.99

#44 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

The PS4 isn't B/C with anything on the PS3 including PSN games such as Journey and The Walking Dead and game saves. Given the lack of B/C it doesn't surprise me, but it surprised Destructoid so I thought it was worth posting here.

In news that is sure to encourage grimacing and facepalming, Sony has confirmed purchases made on the PlayStation Network will not carry over from PS3 to PS4. Same goes for your game saves, too. For Christ's sake, Sony ... you just couldn't resist gunning for some bad PR.

Shuhei Yoshida told a roundtable (including our own Dale North) the PS4's innards are too different from the PS3, and the company is trying to avoid draining the system's power with emulation. Although plans are being looked into to get PS3 games playable in some form on the system, it appears anything you do right now on the PS3 will remain bound there.

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/psn-purchases-will-not-carry-over-to-playstation-4-246229.phtml#tMqGBZkW6jyqvyZT.99

CarnageHeart

Why would anyone be surprised? They are moving from the Cell to a x86 (PC hardware), so compatibility is void by the default. The good thing is that PS4 games would not suffer from this problem for any future Playstation systems, since they most likely be staying with x86. (But this is the last gen of consoles anyway).

#45 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

CarnageHeart

This is a fantastic move by Sony. I am glad they decided against including a Cell in every console and went with better RAM. Sony did everything right with this hardware. Destroid has no f*cking clue how things work and wants a next gen console hampered by the need to play last gen games on a next gen console.

Glad Sony didn't listen to these guys. Go Sony!

#46 Posted by Metamania (11997 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

S0lidSnake

This is a fantastic move by Sony. I am glad they decided against including a Cell in every console and went with better RAM. Sony did everything right with this hardware. Destroid has no f*cking clue how things work and wants a next gen console hampered by the need to play last gen games on a next gen console.

Glad Sony didn't listen to these guys. Go Sony!

So purchases on to the PS3 to PSN will not go over? How will that affect BC-cloud streaming service? Does it mean that they'll have to start over with the PS4 once BC runs on there?

#47 Posted by LazySloth718 (2332 posts) -

Pretty beast for a console.

About the specs of a "reasonably high-end" gaming rig ie not going overboard with $1000 GPU but still a powerful piece of equipment.

#48 Posted by taiwwa (251 posts) -

How much will this thing retail for? I'm guessing $399? That's pretty killer for those specs. 

#49 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

So purchases on to the PS3 to PSN will not go over? How will that affect BC-cloud streaming service? Does it mean that they'll have to start over with the PS4 once BC runs on there?

Metamania

Dont put too much stock in the BC-cloud streaming. they said they were planning on doing that. I dont think it will be available at launch and even when it becomes available, it would be a separate subscription based service like Gaikai. Setting up clusters of PS3 and PS2 servers is going to cost Sony a lot of money and it needs to be paid for.

I am not sure what you mean by starting over. Your PSN purchases arent going to matter on the PS4 just like how your PSN purchases dont mean anything on the Vita. It will be a separate Store for PS4 just like it is for the Vita.

#50 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
My new PS3 better not break, ever.