Ps1 or the N64?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

I feel like the PS1 had games in genres which are more popular today. PS1 was experimenting with ideas which would evolve into the more refined experiences we have today. A lot more variety came from that system.

Having said that, one could say the PS1 has aged poorly due to the years of improvement on the formulas the ps1 presented. In contrast, the genres most popular on the n64 have not aged as much in current-gen times. I'm talking specifically about platform games, zelda-like games, beat-em ups, kart racers, and party games.

I think ps1 was the better system, but the n64 has not aged as poorly.

GabeRamos

Don't forget that the N64 pretty much dominated the FPS market, which has to be the most popular genre of today.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#52 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="GabeRamos"]

I feel like the PS1 had games in genres which are more popular today. PS1 was experimenting with ideas which would evolve into the more refined experiences we have today. A lot more variety came from that system.

Having said that, one could say the PS1 has aged poorly due to the years of improvement on the formulas the ps1 presented. In contrast, the genres most popular on the n64 have not aged as much in current-gen times. I'm talking specifically about platform games, zelda-like games, beat-em ups, kart racers, and party games.

magnax1

Don't forget that the N64 pretty much dominated the FPS market, which has to be the most popular genre of today.

Okay, 007 Goldeneye was awesome back in the day. No denying it. And Perfect Dark was a fun game, until Quake III Arena came out for Dreamcast. But to say N64 dominated the FPS genre is a bit of stretch. PS1 had it's fair share of good first person shooters: -Area 51 -Descent -Descent Maximum -Doom -Final Doom -Hexen -Medal of Honor -Medal of Honor: Underground -POed -Quake II -Time Crisis -007: Tomorrow Never Dies
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="GabeRamos"]

Emerald_Warrior

Okay, 007 Goldeneye was awesome back in the day. No denying it. And Perfect Dark was a fun game, until Quake III Arena came out for Dreamcast. But to say N64 dominated the FPS genre is a bit of stretch. PS1 had it's fair share of good first person shooters: -Area 51 -Descent -Descent Maximum -Doom -Final Doom -Hexen -Medal of Honor -Medal of Honor: Underground -POed -Quake II -Time Crisis -007: Tomorrow Never Dies

The only FPS I remember being anywhere near Turok, Golden eye, The world is not enough, and Perfect Dark was Medal of Honor. I'm pretty sure N64 had the doom and Quake games too anyway.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#54 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nintendo 64

how can i choose somthing that didnt have what iwas into i did and do own one though only for select titles

but n64 all the way better graphics multiplayer games etc etc

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Had both, I'll take PS.
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

I own both and I prefer PS1. But I'm an rpg guy, and that thing was an rpg hit machine.