PS Vita Thread 2.0: Twice as bright, just as long

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Since Gamespot has rebooted the forums, I figure now is a good time to reboot the Vita thread. Here's a link to the old thread.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/half-as-long-twice-as-bright-the-ps-vita-thread-28954001/

The PS Vita is the first Mark Cerny designed system and while its been a disappointment for Sony due to strong competition from the 3DS and smartphones, its found a niche among core gamers due to strong support from indies and Japanese developers (like the PSP, its much more successful in Japan than outside of it).

A Vita slim has been announced which is somewhat controversial because its LCD is a noticeable downgrade from the amazing OLED. Sony claims that they are going to continue to sell both systems side by side, though the cynic in me believes that they will just sell the older more expensive model of the Vita (which costs the same as the new model) until they clear out inventory.

Vita TV (a $100 system which plays PSV games and can stream PS4 games through wifi) has been released in Japan and last I heard it was a big success. Sony hasn't decided whether or not they will release it abroad.

Anyway, on to the games. My personal top 10 is below. Its missing quality games I don't own such as Killzone

1. Dragon's Crown - I love Double Dragon style games and Dragon's Crown takes the genre to new heights. It boasts an insane amount of content including six distinct characters who can fight on and offline in groups of up to four, nine massive stages each with two distinct paths, three difficulty levels each of which introduces new enemies with new powers and incredibly gorgeous graphics).

2. Gravity Rush - I've fallen millions of times in hundreds of games, but never enjoyed it until Gravity Rush. As an open world game the design is a bit odd. One can freely wandering around the massive world (riding trains from city to city) but one never runs into random trouble (though there are lots of missions and minigames scattered around one can engage in when one wishes). Still, the great movement, thrilling boss battles, fun combat (you have a lot of powers at your disposal) and charismatic main character make this a game I highly recommend to anyone.

3. Littlebigplanet - An amazing game which boasts the best campaign in the series, a powerful creation toolkit and some extremely impressive user created levels.

4. Persona 4; The Golden - This game broadly sticks to the template established by the revolutionary Persona 3 (which as I said at the time, was a last gen game that embarrassed 'next gen' jrpgs) so you play a guy who tries to juggle school life, friends, a job, a girlfriend and dungeon crawling. One's social life impacts the personas one uses so it pays to be friendly, though climbing the many multilevel dungeons and beating their bosses requires putting a lot of time into them, so balance is the key.

5. Luminees Electronic Symphony - A brilliant puzzler with stunning visuals and a hypnotic soundtrack. I suck at it like I suck at most puzzle games, but I love it. Give it a try and you will too. Headphones are always a good idea for the Vita, but for Luminees they are absolutely essential

6. Sound Shapes - A simple but beautiful music themed platformer in which everything moves in time to the music because everything onscreen is generating the music. The community has done some really amazing things with the level editor.

7. Guacamelee - A really brilliant Metroidvania style game in which you play a pro wrestler who is fighting to rescue the mayor's daughter from the evil undead that seek to take over the world. Fun moves, great control, colorful graphics and a wonderful sense of humor make this well worth playing. I also recommend Mutant Blobs Attack (not quite as awesome, but in the same vein).

8. Playstation Allstars Battle Royale. The PSV boasts a quality version of every fighter not named Virtua Fighter, but when I am looking to kill a half hour or so, I prefer to do so with the brawler PSABR. Its gorgeous, smooth (60 fps) reasonably deep and it doesn't end with a cheap boss fight.

9. Rayman Origins - Its SP only, but otherwise this is a perfect rendition of the classic game.

10. Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut - Pretty much a 2D take on Silent Hill with heavier survival elements (stuff like ammo and batteries are limited and you need to worry about eating and sleeping). Primitive graphics but topnotch audio and a great environment.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CarnageHeart

*Sigh* Gamespot messed up the formatting.

MurkInfamous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MurkInfamous
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Nice thread man. I plan to buy a PS Vita slim through Asiaplay soon. Most of the games you mentioned I really enjoyed and I can't wait for whats to come. I am really feeling the new slim model and the 64gb mem card. The LCD screen really is not that bad imo, some would even say it looks better with certain games.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#4 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

@CarnageHeart: Fixed it for you.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart

@c_rake said:

Thanks. You're the man. In the future I'll use less pictures when creating threads.

Some new details are emerging about the PS Slim. It now uses a conventional charger and not a proprietary cable, it lasts an hour longer and batteries can now be easily replaced without voiding the warranty.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/10/ps-vita-slim-batteries-now-replaceable/

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/10/10/a-day-with-the-new-playstation-vita-slim-unboxing-hands-on-and-screen-comparison/

Just as how newer models of PlayStation 3 lost a few of the originals bells and whistles yet managed to excel in so many other areas, the PlayStation Vita Slim is a definite winner. The console sits snugly in the hands, is noticeably lighter, and its battery lasts up to an hour longer than its predecessor: three things that any mobile gamer should yearn for. The screen may not be quite the sparkling gem that it once was, but visuals remain as crisp and clear as ever, and add to this the fact that the console now comes with a gigabyte of on-board storage and can be charged via a standard micro-USB cable, and you’ve got a superb little machine

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@CarnageHeart said:

@c_rake said:

Thanks. You're the man. In the future I'll use less pictures when creating threads.

Some new details are emerging about the PS Slim. It now uses a conventional charger and not a proprietary cable, it lasts an hour longer and batteries can now be easily replaced without voiding the warranty.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/10/ps-vita-slim-batteries-now-replaceable/

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/10/10/a-day-with-the-new-playstation-vita-slim-unboxing-hands-on-and-screen-comparison/

Just as how newer models of PlayStation 3 lost a few of the originals bells and whistles yet managed to excel in so many other areas, the PlayStation Vita Slim is a definite winner. The console sits snugly in the hands, is noticeably lighter, and its battery lasts up to an hour longer than its predecessor: three things that any mobile gamer should yearn for. The screen may not be quite the sparkling gem that it once was, but visuals remain as crisp and clear as ever, and add to this the fact that the console now comes with a gigabyte of on-board storage and can be charged via a standard micro-USB cable, and you’ve got a superb little machine

No problem. Was an easy fix; just had to center-align all the images.

That new Vita's sounding good. Think I may just wait for them to come State-side before I buy a Vita.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I've had a lot of fun with my Vita. The initial launch gave way to an epic lull, but it's got plenty of interesting indie games and smaller titles now. And Cross-Buy has been a Godsend. I'm eager to see how it works with the PS4 once I get that home and unboxed and everything on the 16th.

It's a good time to be a Vita fan/owner. :D

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Why can't I get a Vita that looks like the slim, but has the originals screen? That would be a real winner.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Yay! We need this thread!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CarnageHeart

To celebrate Gravity Rush hitting PSN, this sand artist drew a truly amazing picture of Kat. Credit for the find to the Neogaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696178

Loading Video...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart

Here's footage of Injustice: Gods Among Us. Looks like the developers have managed to make it look as good as its console counterparts (its 60 fps).

Loading Video...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Randolph

Have you played Rayman Legends? I've heard people saying it runs just as good as the Wii U version and looks and plays bloody great on the the system. I was also wondering if you'd played Walking Dead on it. I've seen a bundle with that, and I'm teasing the idea of getting a Vita before the OLED screen models are all gone. I'm hoping for a Killzone bundle in November with a memory card to push me over the edge, though knowing my luck any new bundles will be the slim model.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart

@Randolph:

I haven't played any of the games you mentioned yet (if I had some of them would probably have made my top ten list) but its worth noting that when it shipped the Vita version of Rayman Legends was missing 28 levels though the levels that were there reportedly ran just as well as Origins' levels.

Ubisoft quickly promised they would patch the missing levels in for free, though I'm not sure if the patch has happened or not.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Wow. Impressed you guys got this up and running so quickly. Nice.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart

Just read that we're going to get more news about The Walking Dead Season 2.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/walking_dead/news/the_walking_dead_season_2_news_coming_this_month.html

I hope its possible to transfer saves from the PS3 version to the PSV. If it is, I'll continue on the Vita, if not I'll stick with the PS3.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/walking_dead/news/the_walking_dead_season_2_news_coming_this_month.html

I hope its possible to transfer saves from the PS3 version to the PSV. If it is, I'll continue on the Vita, if not I'll stick with the PS3.

I was hoping we'd get The Wolf Among Us on the Vita but I haven't heard anything about that yet.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CarnageHeart

Yoshinori Kitase has expressed a desire to make FF12 HD for the PSV. I hope this happens. FF12 is controversial, but its my favorite FF in no small part because it was helmed by the extremely talent Yasumi Matsuno (Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story). Freely wandering the massive world, varied world with the large party and the lack of a distinct battle screen made things really fun.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/11/final-fantasy-producer-would-love-final-fantasy-xii-on-vita

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Randolph

I would buy FF12 Vita day one if it was the International version with the improved license board and extra full party member. (why do they call them International versions when they are almost always Japan only?)

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart

Dragon's Crown Vita recently got crossplay with the PS3 version in Japan and the US will be getting it soon. No word on Europe (where DC was just released). IGN's video review does a good job of showing how awesome DC is.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/09/dragons-crown-is-getting-ps3vita-cross-play

Loading Video...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Randolph

I'm thinking of going ahead and nabbing a Vita early next month. I want an OLED model, and the recent rumors floating about concerning a possible issue with the Xbone hardware in terms of reliability (a CBOAT rumor, so not baseless) has me thinking keeping a next gen purchase on the back burner would be a good idea for now. I'm thinking that Dragon's Crown and P4 Golden would be a good start, before I start looking into all these indie games people keep saying are so great on the system. Also hoping FFX get's a solid release date soon for NA.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CarnageHeart

@Randolph said:

I'm thinking of going ahead and nabbing a Vita early next month. I want an OLED model, and the recent rumors floating about concerning a possible issue with the Xbone hardware in terms of reliability (a CBOAT rumor, so not baseless) has me thinking keeping a next gen purchase on the back burner would be a good idea for now. I'm thinking that Dragon's Crown and P4 Golden would be a good start, before I start looking into all these indie games people keep saying are so great on the system. Also hoping FFX get's a solid release date soon for NA.

Persona and Dragon's Crown are amazing games. There are lots of good versions of a lot of quality indie games, but I've only played a tiny fraction of them. In addition to those I named above, Motorstorm RC is a good purchase if you have fond memories of games like RC Pro Am and Super Offroad.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CarnageHeart

Yesterday Joystiq put up a hands on preview of Murasaki Baby (indie puzzle/adventure game). No surprises but its an interesting read and the only coverage I've seen of it in a while.

Loading Video...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/15/murasaki-baby-is-the-weirdest-game/

Using your godly poking powers, you can also change the environment. With a swipe of the rear touch pad, you can start a thunderous downpour, or create a howling gale. This is primarily used to solve puzzles: At one point in my session, the girl came across a boat that had run aground, and before I could convince her to move on, I had to fill a dry river bed by summoning a storm. That done, I prodded her into the boat and summoned a giant windmill. Twirling my finger on the rear touch pad, I spun the blades of the windmill and blew the little boat to the opposite shore.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Randolph said:

I would buy FF12 Vita day one if it was the International version with the improved license board and extra full party member. (why do they call them International versions when they are almost always Japan only?)

Irony, maybe?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Articuno76

@c_rakestraw: The international versions are normally repackages of the European releases (or are based off the European versions).

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Articuno76 said:

@c_rakestraw: The international versions are normally repackages of the European releases (or are based off the European versions).

Huh. Interesting. Does that mean Europe's been getting all those extras as well?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CarnageHeart

Castlestorm is hitting the Vita and PS3 November 5th. Look a whole lot like Angry Birds. The Vita version of Angry Birds is $40 (thanks Activision!) so assuming that Castlestorm is saner price and the announced demo is good I may bite.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/17/castlestorm-coming-to-ps3-and-ps-vita-on-november-5th/

Loading Video...

Welcome to the world of CastleStorm, a super genre mashup of 2D physics destruction mixed with tower defense brawling! The idea for CastleStorm came from fond childhood memories of building LEGO castles and then (of course) destroying them. If you want to know more about the inspiration behind the game, and meet the team who created it, watch the developer diary.

We know many of you have been waiting for CastleStorm to arrive on PlayStation, so today we’re happy to announce that CastleStorm is coming on November 5th for $9.99, with cross buy support. Pick up the game on PS3 and get it on PS Vita at no charge. For those of you who haven’t heard about the game, here’s the scoop…

It’s Knights vs. Vikings in CastleStorm, where medieval warfare meets 2D, physics-based destruction. Controlling the battle in real time, players will harness the power of medieval artillery, manage a fearsome ground attack, and cast powerful spells. CastleStorm features a story-driven solo campaign, a custom castle editor, online multiplayer, co-op modes, and more. Building castles and knocking them down has never been so much fun!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CarnageHeart

Despite the fact its an SP only Zelda type adventure, Media Molecule's Tearaway boasts extensive character customization options which you will use to customize creatures you meet as well as your own character. One of the games I am most looking forward to this year based on the excellence of Media Molecule's LBP.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/17/tearaways-papery-challenges-and-character-customization/

When the time comes to get crafty, you’ll be presented with a virtual cutting mat, and a selection of colored paper sheets. Using the pencil tool, you can trace a shape that you want to cut out using the front touch. If you make a mistake, you can erase your flawed pencil lines with the eraser tool, but once you’re happy with the shape, hit the scissors icon to cut it out.

You can layer multiple sheets on top of one another, just like using real paper, and once you’re happy with your decoration, you can save it into your collection. Now you can use it to decorate certain things in the world, and bring a smile to unattractive pigs everywhere.

Most importantly of all, you can customize your papery messenger. You can remove any or all of their features and replace them with whatever you like, either choosing from a list of pre-made animated items such as eyes, mouths, and various shapes like hearts or stars, or you can make your own from scratch. The pre-made ones must be purchased with confetti, colourful paper fragments that you’ll collect as you play, but making your own is free! We’ll be working on releasing some extra decorations later down the road, too.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Persona 4 Golden @ number 4 Carnage? Well, I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Man I'm really looking forward to Tearaway.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts

well, I just ordered my 64GB memory card from play-asia.com so I decided to go and see how much space all of my games (VITA, ps1 and psp) and apps would take up. Turns out, Im still going to be about 20 gigs shy of being able to fit everything on there :(

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CarnageHeart

@Jehuty08 said:

well, I just ordered my 64GB memory card from play-asia.com so I decided to go and see how much space all of my games (VITA, ps1 and psp) and apps would take up. Turns out, Im still going to be about 20 gigs shy of being able to fit everything on there :(

Yeah, I've got three 32 GB memory cards myself. My next card will be a 64 GB but it won't be able to hold everything. Happily, I have a PS Vita case with very good pockets (would not want to lose one of those cards).

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts

I wish they made the sticks a tad bigger...oh well, still be getting one.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Articuno76

@c_rakestraw: Yeah. Things like those extra bosses and stuff were added to make up for the long localisation time (into all the Euro languages).

Though I'm not entirely sure what is happening with FF12 Zodiac. I'm guessing it was built on the International (European) version which probably included an extra boss or two...and then added all the Zodiac stuff on top of that.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CarnageHeart

Here is a Killzone Mercenary developer diary. Lots of very high quality footage. I will be getting this game very soon.

Loading Video...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CarnageHeart

New screens and video of Tecmo's Deception 4 have cropped up at the GAF. For the uninitiated, Tecmo's Deception is a game set in medieval times in which one controls a girl (you have a couple to pick from this time around) who builds a bunch of traps in a castle and then lures increasingly powerful and numerous groups of adventurers to their deaths. Its hitting Japan early next year and the US and Europe sometime after that.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702826

Loading Video...

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jehuty08

so my 64GB finally got in. I forgot how small these memory cards are

Trying to decide which games will make the cut now

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CarnageHeart

@IndianaPwns39 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

I was hoping we'd get The Wolf Among Us on the Vita but I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Ask and ye shall receive (quick, ask for something else!).

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/24/the-wolf-among-us-comes-to-ps-vita-this-fall/

Like The Walking Dead on PS Vita, you’ll be able to choose between analog or touchscreen controls, or even switch on the fly if that’s what you like. Great news for those who prefer to play inverted as well: we’ve added an “invert Y” option in The Wolf Among Us, so you’ll feel right at home.

Even if you’ve already been enjoying Bigby’s exploits on PlayStation 3, the PS Vita version could be an opportunity to make different decisions in another playthrough, any time and any place it suits you.

We’re working to lock down the debut date and price, so stay tuned for more info on that front! In the meantime, check out the trailer to see what people have been saying about Episode 1.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#38  Edited By IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

@IndianaPwns39 said:

@CarnageHeart said:

Ask and ye shall receive (quick, ask for something else!).

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/24/the-wolf-among-us-comes-to-ps-vita-this-fall/

Like The Walking Dead on PS Vita, you’ll be able to choose between analog or touchscreen controls, or even switch on the fly if that’s what you like. Great news for those who prefer to play inverted as well: we’ve added an “invert Y” option in The Wolf Among Us, so you’ll feel right at home.

Even if you’ve already been enjoying Bigby’s exploits on PlayStation 3, the PS Vita version could be an opportunity to make different decisions in another playthrough, any time and any place it suits you.

We’re working to lock down the debut date and price, so stay tuned for more info on that front! In the meantime, check out the trailer to see what people have been saying about Episode 1.

Ooo ooo I ask for the following:

Monster Hunter 4 on the Vita, Persona 5 Vita (also wouldn't say no to Persona 3 getting the Golden treatment), Phantasy Star Nova to be localized, God Eater 2 to be localized, the DLC for Muramasa to actually be released, a larger memory card price drop, ummmmmmm that's all I have right now.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

this is an awesome thread, thanks for giving the Vita some justice!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CarnageHeart

Previews and screenshots are popping up for next week's Tearaway and a nice new trailer was recently released.

Loading Video...

Here is a nice GIF stolen from the GAF.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10/25/tearaway-preview/

It just exudes charm, from the papercraft-inspired graphical style to the glimpses of the real world that you’ll see throughout, and beyond that the incredible music, which takes a few notes from Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie but evolves it into something entirely more modern and even more brilliant.

That’s just Tearaway for you – it’s not trying to replicate the classics of this genre, but evolve them with features that make use of every facet of the PlayStation Vita. It’s really something that all ages will love, as with LittleBigPlanet, and a surefire winner for Media Molecule.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/10/tearaway-hands-on-preview-ripping-yarn-4141276/

The best sort of pitch for Vita’s touch-based controls, a great deal of Tearaway’s appeal comes from how hands-on it is. Turning records extends bridges, hitting drums will bounce you to higher levels, sliding ribbons on the screen opens presents and pushing your fingers ‘through’ the rear touchpad dispatches enemies. Media Molecule go out of their way to break the fourth wall, leaving us with a game that tries its best to make players feel valued.

Happily, these touch-based mechanics aren’t as forced as they might sound. With the exception of cutting out shapes (a fiddly process), Tearaway’s atypical features revel in the very human joy of fiddling. It actively encourages players to touch its world, exploring it with their hands as well as their eyes.

In a similar departure from tradition, foes cannot be dispatched in the usual manner of a good smack between the eyes. Having you throw items or downed enemies at them, combat is given a light-hearted dose of tension in a genre where battle frequently means passive button-mashing. There doesn’t appear to be much penalty in dying due to generous checkpoints, but the dexterity required in avoiding attacks or collecting projectiles is a pleasantly hectic workout.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/14/tearaway-how-arts-crafts-gave-birth-to-the-vitas-most-charming-asset/

Opinions will forever be divided on the PS Vita – as they are on all consoles – but I have to admit that I’ve never played a game on the device that is as ingenious in its application of hardware features. You don’t just stay engaged in Tearaway because the gameplay or plot are appealing – like you do in most games – but because you are constantly asked to participate in new, physical mechanics that result in visible feedback within the world. It’s proper immersion.

Tearaway is a game that makes you feel like a kid again in art class. To beat it you’ll have to create, draw, cut, push, pull, drag, tilt, rub, shake, take photos, shout into the mic and do all the typical ‘game’ stuff on top of that. This may sound like a selection box of gimmicks to John Q. FPS, but for kids and the charmed at heart there’s absolutely no reason why Media Molecule’s paper land won’t fill you with joy.

http://kotaku.com/tearaway-is-the-best-thing-ive-played-on-the-vita-1451947021

What is special is that, as you cradle the Vita in your hands and move Iota around, you’re able to tap the Sony handheld’s back touch panel to seemingly poke your fingers into Iota’s world. Using the rear touch panel, you can moving obstacles out of Iota's way, or, at times, treat the ground beneath his feet like a trampoline and bounce him to new heights. Other Vita games have played with ideas like this, but never this well and never with so much effort applied to make it feel like you're touching a virtual world. As you tap the back panel, you may see a photorealistic version of your fingers poking into the world from behind the machine.1P

Between the finger thing, the sun thing and the characters constantly talking about the "Yous" out there, you will feel like you are connected to this virtual world, that you're not just seeing it but touching it. It's a magic trick, but it's also magical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a sad note, Eurogamer confirms that the new Vita's screen is a massive downgrade from the amazing OLED even though it is the same resolution. Happily the new Vita is selling alongside the old in Japan and it isn't clear it will leave Japan. With the old PSP, the screens got (slightly) better over time, not worse.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-playstation-vita-pch-2000-review

Besides the impressive graphical capabilities of the console, it is the Vita's beautiful OLED screen that really makes it stand apart from its contemporaries. Vibrant colours and deep black levels are joined with near-perfect motion handling that is still yet to be matched by any consumer LCD screen. This is also one of the most expensive components that make up the impressive Vita hardware, and in order to keep the price tag down on the new model is sadly one that had to go. With the PCH-2000 we see the system's trademark OLED screen replaced with what appears to be an IPS panel LCD display, and while the pixel density and 960x540 resolution remains the same, the switch in technology has implications in other areas regarding picture quality. Motion handling is certainly less impressive, with visible smearing in fast-moving scenes and extended camera pans, while colours appear less vibrant and contrast ratio is also greatly diminished.

The inky blacks found on the original Vita appear more grey in dimly lit viewing conditions on the PCH-2000, although the small size of the screen means that the difference doesn't stand out as much as you may think. In fact, due to the reduced contrast ratio and poorer blacks, the display in the PCH-2000 Vita appears to be brighter than the original OLED screen when set at the same brightness level. However, this is at the expense of depth and three-dimensionality, which are somewhat lacking in comparison. The sub-pixel structure of the original Vita's OLED screen also makes for a slightly smoother image than the new LCD equivalent, but this isn't noticeably apparent outside of viewing text and menus. Thankfully, the use of an IPS panel means that viewing angles are generous and colour accuracy is still very good, if a little under-saturated - colours simply don't pop in the same way as the original Vita's beautiful screen.

Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jehuty08

So apparently, Arkham Origins: Blackgate snuck onto the PSN on friday, got about a minute left on my download. Ill let you guys know how it is

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CarnageHeart

Lots of interesting tidbits. I am stuffing posts with multiple games rather than creating a post for each news item because the new Gamespot frowns upon sequential posts (so anyone that comments on a story frees me to post again).

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/29/starlight-inception-coming-to-ps-vita-in-december/

Loading Video...

A remarkably ambitious indie game named Starlight Inception is hitting the Vita in December. Its a Colony Wars/Wing Commander type game.

Welcome to Starlight Inception, a first-person / third-person space combat experience coming to PS Vita in December. It contains a single-player campaign, single-player Fly Patrol (tower defense), and several multiplayer options. The inspiration for Starlight Inception was the old space sim games that we loved as kids, but with a more sophisticated, modern sensibility.

We don’t intend the fighters in Starlight Inception to be retextures of World War II fighters, but something more modern and space capable. And unlike those older games, Starlight Inception was designed to allow flight from space down to planetary/lunar environments with seamless transitions.

In Starlight Inception, you’re a young space fighter pilot assigned to the U.S.F. Midway (SCVN-41) one hundred years from tomorrow. In the first mission (included in the beta going live today) you’ll learn about your ship, the controls, and face your first enemies. This mission is the only one included in this early Beta, but it should give a taste for what this game looks like and feels like. The intention was to really integrate the training into the overall story — stuff hits the fan while you’re learning how to fly your ship, and gets the story rolling.

The finished game (planned for December) will have more than 30 hours of single-player gameplay, and you’ll be able to explore your mothership between missions — see your bunk area, report to the captain on the bridge, and visit the Pilot Ready Room where you receive your mission briefings.

The finished game will also have a hangar bay with more than thirty different fighters, bombers, and transports, each with customizable weapons and equipment to choose from for the missions. The fighters are future versions of modern day fighters like the Lightning, Raptor, and others, and they’re made to work in both space and planetary environments.

An interview with Media Molecule about Tearaway. Looks more fun everytime I see it. Media Molecule made my favorite game of all time, so my expectations of Tearaway are sky high.

Loading Video...

Abstract indie game Proteus hit the Vita yesterday (unfortunately, my gaming budget in the near future is spoke for).

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/29/proteus-out-today-on-ps3-and-ps-vita/

We’ve been working on Proteus all summer, and after launching three other PlayStation games this year at Curve, you might not be surprised to learn our version of Proteus has a few additional features that are exclusive to the PlayStation versions of the game.

On the Vita version, Proteus can generate an island based on your geographical location, and on the PS3 version, you can generate islands based on the current date.

Islands generated in this fashion will be the same for anyone in the same location or on the same day, and will also be more “wild” than regular islands in the game, featuring various twists on the original’s islands, as well as shifting, surreal color palettes.

Last but not least, the beautiful but brutal Sine Mora is now free on PS plus.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

In a shocking turn of events...I bought a Vita!

I was offered a really good price on a used one with 4gb card and right before I bought it someone else offered their Vita with COD and NFS as well as an 8 gb stick for the same price. I jumped on it unfortunately it does have one small scratch on the screen. I didn't see it when I bought it :(. You absolutely can't see it during gameplay but this stuff really annoys me. I also noticed the screen has many small insignificant scratches which is a shame but definitely normal under light use. Are you guys using screen protectors?

So I'll be subscribing to Plus in the next few days, when are the new Vita games going to be rolling out? I don't want to miss out on the current free ones which i hear are expiring soon. If I can get them and then the next wave of games, I'll be pretty well off.

So yeah, its definitely a sexy machine, the screen is bananas. The main reason I bought it is for Remote Play with PS4 so I am even more pumped for next gen now.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 F1Lengend

@dvader654 said:

Welcome to the club. It is the most sexy device ever. Playing on it is a dream. Then you realize there isnt much to play... but its still beautiful. PS4 features have me super excited.

Thanks D. Honestly, Vita games are just a bonus for me. The remote play is the main attraction.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

So I'll be subscribing to Plus in the next few days, when are the new Vita games going to be rolling out? I don't want to miss out on the current free ones which i hear are expiring soon. If I can get them and then the next wave of games, I'll be pretty well off.

Credit @F1Lengend

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES?smcid=ps:shop-now:ps-psn:playstation-store

Check out the PSN Store link above. Those are October offerings expiring on Sunday I believe. If you like Sine Mora and Hotline Miami for Vita then subscribe right now. If you dont then subscribe after Monday and you should still be able to get Uncharted Vita, Gravity Rush and Wipeout. These are the yearly free games that will be remove in December. Make sure you buy them before December.

If I were you, I'd sign up today. You get Kingdom Of Amular and SOTC/ICO HD for free. Then a day later on Monday you get all the November games as well.

Always use the store link i sent above to buy stuff. Buying them from a PS3 or Vita is a pain in the ass. This way you can buy ten of them at once and check out.

Dont worry about the scratches on the screen. Mine has a few but the colors on this thing are so vivid you wont notice the scratches at all.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 F1Lengend

Cool stuff Solid, thats very convienant. Okay so I have until December, I'll activate it a few days before PS4 comes out because I already have and beat the ICO collection and Hotline Miami. Sine Mora would be nice I guess but whatever. Those three yearly games are the ones I want as well as Unit 13. I'm stoked.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#48 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@F1Lengend said:

In a shocking turn of events...I bought a Vita!

I was offered a really good price on a used one with 4gb card and right before I bought it someone else offered their Vita with COD and NFS as well as an 8 gb stick for the same price. I jumped on it unfortunately it does have one small scratch on the screen. I didn't see it when I bought it :(. You absolutely can't see it during gameplay but this stuff really annoys me. I also noticed the screen has many small insignificant scratches which is a shame but definitely normal under light use. Are you guys using screen protectors?

So yeah, its definitely a sexy machine, the screen is bananas. The main reason I bought it is for Remote Play with PS4 so I am even more pumped for next gen now.

Congratulations! The Vita is a great machine. While it started off with a lack of software, there is a ton of good stuff out for it now. I won't throw out the lists because you probably already know them all. But PS+ has been a real boon to the Vita and the cross play feature as well as the one account for all your Playstation hardware is a nice feature as well.

Have fun with your new machine! :)

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 F1Lengend

I ended up selling my PSP Go so I only spent 40 on the Vita. Holy Crap :P

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CarnageHeart

Aksys has confirmed that the recently released in Japan Muramasa DLC (four new scenarios starring 4 new characters who each play differently and which feature new enemies) will hit the West in early 2014. Dragon's Crown (also from Vanillaware) was more successful, but Muramasa on the Vita was a hit (selling more copies on the struggling Vita than it did on the then wildly popular Wii).

http://www.destructoid.com/muramasa-rebirth-transports-dlc-westward-early-next-year-264673.phtml

Loading Video...

Also, an enhanced port of PS3 indie rpg Rainbow moon is hitting the Vita in December. Its not fully crossbuy (the designers are seeing if Sony will allow them to offer a 50% discount to owners of the PS3 version) but it is crossplay.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/01/rainbow-moon-coming-to-ps-vita-december-3rd/

As a result of all the amazing feedback from Rainbow Moon fans around the world, more than 30 new features, improvements, and bug fixes found their way into Rainbow Moon for Vita. The biggest new addition is cross save, meaning that any progress you make on your Vita can be continued on PS3, and vice-versa. This also applies to existing Rainbow Moon saves, so you don’t have to worry about losing any progress!

Additionally, XP counters in the victory screen can now be skipped, items can be used directly from the quest vendor, and left-stick control has been improved, reducing the chance of walking in unintended directions while in battle mode.

If you don’t own a PS Vita yet, don’t worry. All these improvements will be included in a patch for the PS3 version of Rainbow Moon next month.

Loading Video...

Here's a video showing PS VIta TV ($100 system which allows one to play Vita games on tvs and stream PS3 games to a different tv).

Loading Video...

The story below doesn't have any big surprises (the team just stated they are going to try to ensure all versions get the same updates at the same time) but it did remind me that Minecraft Vita will eventually be a thing.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/11/01/minecraft-patches-on-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-xbox-360-and-xbox-one-aiming-to-be-in-certification-at-the-same-time/

Also, Sony has stated that remote play online may have issues and that for the fastest connection, they recommend playing on the same wifi network as the PS4.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/ps4-remote-play-on-vita-may-only-work-at-home

"We strongly recommend that Remote Play be used within the same WiFi network where PS4 is connected," Sony explained, while confirming that Remote Play wouldn't be available via 3G. "We also recommend that PS4 be connected to the local area network via an Ethernet cable, that a router suitable for gaming be used, and that the PS Vita system be within close proximity of the WiFi access point so that the connection is free of interference."

While you can still attempt using the feature elsewhere, success is by no means guaranteed. "For Remote Play to function over a wide area network, a robust and stable WiFi connection and broadband Internet connection is required, and the local area network where PS4 is connected must be configured to permit the PS Vita system to access PS4," it reads.

Last of all, this month's PS Plus Vita games are Soul Sacrifice (a fun game, but an unapologetic MH clone from the guy who made Monster Hunter) and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (I don't have any experience with the series).

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/31/playstation-plus-november-preview/