Poll: What Was the Best Assassin's Creed Game?

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Here is a run down of all the optional Assassin's Creed games:

The first game in the Assassin's Creed franchise is set in 1191 AD, when the Third Crusade was tearing the Holy Land apart.
GameSpot Score: 9
User Score: 8.6

Assassin's Creed II returns with a new adventure set in the Italian Renaissance.
User Score: 9

Ezio returns in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood as he struggles against the powerful Templar Order . Defeating the corrupt tyrants entrenched there will require not only strength, but leadership, as Ezio commands an entire Brotherhood that will rally to his side.
GameSpot Score: 8.5
User Score: 8.9

In Assassin's Creed Revelations, you will control master assassin Ezio Auditore, who walks in the footsteps of the legendary mentor Altair, on a journey of discovery and revelation.
GameSpot Score: 8
User Score 8.5

Assassin's Creed III is an upcoming free-roaming action-adventure game for the PS3, PC, Xbox 360, and WiiU that takes place both in a near-future setting and 1775 colonial America.
GameSpot Score: 8.5
User Score 7.9

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is a free-roaming action adventure game for both current gen and next gen consoles. Players will take the role of young captain Edward Kenway whose exploits earn the respect of pirate legends like Blackbeard, but draw him into an ancient war that may destroy everything the pirates have built.
User Score: 8.6

Assassin's Creed Rogue for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 lets you play as a Templar during the Seven Years' War, bridging the gap between Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed III.
GameSpot Score: 6
User Score 7.5

Assassin’s Creed Unity is the next-gen evolution of the blockbuster franchise powered by an all-new game engine. From the storming of the Bastille to the execution of King Louis XVI, experience the French Revolution as never before, and help the people of France carve an entirely new destiny.
GameSpot Score: 7
User Score: 6.4

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

The best game is 2 then 1 and then the brotherhood and revelations.

Ezio is without a doubt one of the absolute best characters ever written in any game.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I have a soft spot for 2, but I'd say it tied with Black Flag, personally.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#4 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

AC2

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

AC2 is the best, but there are aspects of 1 that were done better, anything past 2 took a nosedive in quality

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#6 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Assassins Creed 2 without doubt nice setting great lead and it also had the best lead character Ezio Auditors best character of the generation.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Black Flag... and I hardly even see that as an Assassin's Creed game, which is why I loved it. It was more of a pirate adventure game with some Assassin's Creed elements thrown in. Other than that, I had a pretty strong liking to Brotherhood for some reason. I preferred it over AC2, even.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Assassin's Creed II.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Only finished one and two, so if those two is better playing by far but what I played of brotherhood was awesome

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

AC Blag Flag, by far. IMO followed closely by AC2.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

The right answer is Assassin's Creed II, and I have an Assassin's Creed tattoo, which must mean...something? Maybe? *crickets*

gamimgGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamimgGT
Member since 2010 • 24 Posts

Assassin's Creed II

Mr_Q_Oz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mr_Q_Oz
Member since 2006 • 103 Posts

I loved Black Flag and AC2, but Ezio was a better character so AC2 gets my vote. :)

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

The Ezio trilogy is so great and whoever voted for AC3, get out.

Borlng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15 Borlng
Member since 2014 • 109 Posts

Assassin's Creed II was my favorite for campaign. Ezio really made Assassin's Creed really enjoyable.

Favorite for multiplayer was Assassin's Creed III. Sadly, all the best techniques I discovered (well, learned from my betters) in 3's multiplayer were deemed as glitches, and thus not in 4's multiplayer.

AdmiralKhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AdmiralKhara
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts

I chose Black Flag because you are a pirate there.

bamir0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bamir0
Member since 2004 • 241 Posts

2, 4, Unity, Brotherhood, 3, Rogue, Revelations, 1

registradus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 registradus
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts

Black Flag. because pirates.

Alfie03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Alfie03
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

The final game of Desmond, Assassins Creed III, jumps from Ezio's era to the American Revolution. The player controls a half-English, half-Native American Connor Kenway or also known as Ratonhnhake: ton, in the fight against his father, Colonial Templar Grand Master Haytham Kenway.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Went for the first one as it had the best story. Despite it having somewhat repetitive missions at least the game felt fresh and it hadn't suffered from the rehash of some of the later entries...

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Assassin's Creed IV for me. I'm surprised II is winning by such a huge margin.

soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts

Sea chanties. Enough said.

LordCrash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By LordCrash88
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

My personal favorite is Revelations.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#24 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'd say the best Assassin's Creed game is Assassin's Creed 2. My favorite Assassin's Creed game though is between Black Flag and AC2.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10441 Posts

it's always been a series that never quite hit the spot for me. black flag kept me interested the longest though

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#26 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Stopped playing them at Creed 2, from my understanding that's the game the series peaked at.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

Black Flag... by a huge margin.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

I went with Black Flag.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Brotherhood was my favorite, mainly because it felt tighter than 2, which was also very good, but something about Brotherhood seemed a little more polished. Then it went all over the place, Black Flag is fun but to call it a good AC game is difficult (still a good game but AC, not so much).

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#30  Edited By Running-Target
Member since 2014 • 413 Posts

I'd say the best AC game is between ACII and Brotherhood. Well my favorite AC game is Assassin's Creed 1 & Altair is my favorite assassin. Black Flag is one of the best pirate games.

Sir_William2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sir_William2
Member since 2015 • 103 Posts

Assassins Creed II for sure and Brotherhood since it was an extension of Assassins Creed II. I would say that after those two game is when i began to feel franchise fatigue though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#32 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@GameSpot: Black Flag is the best one yet. Best story and awesome supporting characters. Brotherhood comes in a close second

starcrafthenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 starcrafthenry
Member since 2008 • 94 Posts

I've played 1, 2, and 4. I've enjoyed all of them. I picked Black Flag because I really enjoyed the ship battles. 2 was pretty awesome, but I think I'm biased because I'm very interested in Leonardo da Vinci. The original game was probably the coolest setting, and best story, being during the crusades.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

I have a soft spot for 2, but I'd say it tied with Black Flag, personally.

thanos999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thanos999
Member since 2015 • 12 Posts

black flag loved the ships and pirating got bored off the assainations but loved stealing ships

Riprock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Riprock
Member since 2003 • 191 Posts

Definitely AC2. AC1 was classic with a great story and everything was new and you had no idea what was going to happen next (similar to Halo:CE). But AC1 was missing pieces and had a mission/quest system that was too repetitive, which AC2 improved upon substantially. AC2 also improved a number of game-play mechanics and had it's own classic story. Since then there have been way too many AC releases and everything feels as though it's simply rinse and repeat - though Black Flag was a departure with it's pirate theme (which is why it's coming in 2nd in the poll). I wish more developers took an approach to their marquee games as Blizzard and Bethesda does. Take all the time that is required to make this the best game it can be, then release it (and not until then). AC has become watered down. I don't get excited for the next release of AC like I do for Elder Scrolls, or Diablo (and other games of a similar ilk). Ubisoft has completely sucked dry the excitement and thunder of this franchise. But thank God for AC1 and the definitive AC2.

megantereon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#37 megantereon
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

I have played all of them and they are all good games. I enjoyed Black Flag and Brotherhood the most and AC3 the least, and think Rogue is like an improved Black Flag with better graphics and smoother controls and some settings from AC3, and recommend it more than ACBF. Unity has by far the best maps, graphics, and context of all of them, though not so well written. So they are all somewhat different so depends on your preferences. None of these is best.

Assassins started in Persia around 1100AD, and as long as Ubisoft sticks to their recipe of focusing on placing Assassins and Templars in the keystone events in world history since 1100 AD that shaped world civilization then I will keep playing these games. They have hit the mark by staying historically relevant with the rise of the assassins, the renaissance, the American revolution, French revolution, and the industrial revolution. I predict a prequel with the Mongolian eradication of the Assassins, the post-civil war expansion into the American wild west, or returning to Turkey and the Ottoman Empire at the start of WW1 are likely future entries in this series. Ubisoft stays historically relevant and tries new mechanics each game, some work and some don't. If they stray form this by going to japan or China, or get into the comic ridiculousness that COD has done than I will stop playing AC.

FenrirsPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FenrirsPack
Member since 2015 • 95 Posts

It's a tie between 2 and Black Flag. They are both great for different reasons. When I think of the quintessential Assassin's Creed game, I think of AC2. When I think of one of the most fun games I've played in the last decade, I think of Black Flag. It wasn't a traditional AC game, but rather a sort of pirate simulator that used story elements from the Assassin's Creed world. An essential part of all Assassin's Creed games is city navigation and exploration. AC2 had the most interesting and beautiful cities to explore, so if someone were to ask me which AC game they should play (if they could only play one) I would say AC2. It best represents the true spirit of series and has its most iconic character. That said, there is nothing I can think of in AC2 that was as exhilarating as ship combat from Black Flag.