Nintendo GameCube: Is it the most underrated game console of all time?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheOnly0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 TheOnly0ne
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i can think of a few consoles that were more under rated.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

I would disagree. While I do believe it didn't receive the love that previous Nintendo systems got, it was still liked among a lot of people when it was Nintendo's current system. It has definitely gained more notice since being replaced though, and many of its games, some that many overlooked, have become highly acclaimed and sought after. 

If I had to pick one system that was severely underrated, it would be the Saturn. Many, many people back when it was released and still to this day overlooked so many great games because of the issues the console had in sales and other areas. When people try to make a system look like a failure, they often use the Saturn as an example. Just goes to show you how misinformed and under appreciated the Saturn really is.

nintendoboy16

No, it wasn't. It didn't get "liked" until the Wii came out. It got similar third game exclusivity backlash the Wii U currently gets. That's how much people hated it back then. 

Over 20-million in worldwide sales is a pretty good indication that it was pretty well liked during its time. And yes it did get some flack back in the day, but that didn't stop millions from picking one up. I bought the thing just for REmake back in the day and loved it. I have come to appreciate it more since it was discontinued, but I certainly didn't dislike it back when it first was released and niether did a lot of other people.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#53 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

I would disagree. While I do believe it didn't receive the love that previous Nintendo systems got, it was still liked among a lot of people when it was Nintendo's current system. It has definitely gained more notice since being replaced though, and many of its games, some that many overlooked, have become highly acclaimed and sought after. 

If I had to pick one system that was severely underrated, it would be the Saturn. Many, many people back when it was released and still to this day overlooked so many great games because of the issues the console had in sales and other areas. When people try to make a system look like a failure, they often use the Saturn as an example. Just goes to show you how misinformed and under appreciated the Saturn really is.

Shenmue_Jehuty

No, it wasn't. It didn't get "liked" until the Wii came out. It got similar third game exclusivity backlash the Wii U currently gets. That's how much people hated it back then. 

Over 20-million in worldwide sales is a pretty good indication that it was pretty well liked during its time. And yes it did get some flack back in the day, but that didn't stop millions from picking one up. I bought the thing just for REmake back in the day and loved it. I have come to appreciate it more since it was discontinued, but I certainly didn't dislike it back when it first was released and niether did a lot of other people.

If millions in sales indicated praise, then fans must have thought Duke Nukem Forever was a masterpiece.

Sales mean NOTHING in terms of good/bad reception.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

I posted this on my personal blog a while ago, so I decided why not share it here? When the Nintendo GameCube launched in 2001, it was hated by a ton of people and I have no idea why. They say it was a bad console, and I don't know why that is either. It was my first game console as I got it back in 2003, and 10 years later, it still works like a champ. The GameCube may not have had the same third party support or great library as the PS2 did but it still had it's own great lineup of quality titles. It had great titles like Resident Evil 4, RE0, and REmake(only RE4 was not exclusive), had Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, the Metroid Prime games, 2 great Zelda games, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, a great remake of Metal Gear Solid, and lots more. It didn't really have online capabilties, but it was still great in it's own right. It's too bad a lot of people didn't know this, because everyone was too busy playing the PlayStation 2! This console could have been a major power if gamers just gave it a chance. Like the Sega Dreamcast, the GameCube didn't fail gamers. Gamers just failed the GC like they did earlier with Sega's last hurrah. Do you think it is the most underrated console ever? Or is there another one more underrated? Or do you think it's tied with another console? Let me know. Thanks!

GSJones1994

Most people think that the console they grew up with or got first is the best... As far as being under rated? No, not in my opinion. For the most part it was horrible compared to the SNES and NES. However, it did have a handful of decent games. Its incredibly small library really hurt the console. I dont think Nintendo has made a great console since the SNES. That is not to say that no games have been good since those days, but overall it is nowhere close. NES and SNES are probably my favorite 2 consoles ever, but Gamecube and everything after the cube is pretty bad imo. The 64 has a few of my favorite games of all time on it even though it is pretty craptastic itself.

Avatar image for Holyspirit-Xbox
Holyspirit-Xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Holyspirit-Xbox
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts

[QUOTE="GSJones1994"]

I posted this on my personal blog a while ago, so I decided why not share it here? When the Nintendo GameCube launched in 2001, it was hated by a ton of people and I have no idea why. They say it was a bad console, and I don't know why that is either. It was my first game console as I got it back in 2003, and 10 years later, it still works like a champ. The GameCube may not have had the same third party support or great library as the PS2 did but it still had it's own great lineup of quality titles. It had great titles like Resident Evil 4, RE0, and REmake(only RE4 was not exclusive), had Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, the Metroid Prime games, 2 great Zelda games, Mario Sunshine, F-Zero GX, a great remake of Metal Gear Solid, and lots more. It didn't really have online capabilties, but it was still great in it's own right. It's too bad a lot of people didn't know this, because everyone was too busy playing the PlayStation 2! This console could have been a major power if gamers just gave it a chance. Like the Sega Dreamcast, the GameCube didn't fail gamers. Gamers just failed the GC like they did earlier with Sega's last hurrah. Do you think it is the most underrated console ever? Or is there another one more underrated? Or do you think it's tied with another console? Let me know. Thanks!

WitIsWisdom

Most people think that the console they grew up with or got first is the best... As far as being under rated? No, not in my opinion. For the most part it was horrible compared to the SNES and NES. However, it did have a handful of decent games. Its incredibly small library really hurt the console. I dont think Nintendo has made a great console since the SNES. That is not to say that no games have been good since those days, but overall it is nowhere close. NES and SNES are probably my favorite 2 consoles ever, but Gamecube and everything after the cube is pretty bad imo. The 64 has a few of my favorite games of all time on it even though it is pretty craptastic itself.

Citation needed?
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

[QUOTE="GSJones1994"]

Holyspirit-Xbox

Citation needed?

Just in case you actually want me to explain myself, then i will. See, there is this little thing called nostalgia. Look it up if you must. This topic has been brought up a ton of times on this site and several others like it. More often then not, the console people FIRST started playing on or "cut their teeth" on will always hold a special place in their heart. I'm not busting out statistical odds, just call them like I see them. If you disagree, that is fanfreakintastic, I'll buy you a cookie and send it to one of your other user names. Which one would you prefer?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

For the most part it was horrible compared to the SNES and NES.WitIsWisdom

and N64, and Wii.

Avatar image for Holyspirit-Xbox
Holyspirit-Xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Holyspirit-Xbox
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"][QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

WitIsWisdom

Citation needed?

Just in case you actually want me to explain myself, then i will. See, there is this little thing called nostalgia. Look it up if you must. This topic has been brought up a ton of times on this site and several others like it. More often then not, the console people FIRST started playing on or "cut their teeth" on will always hold a special place in their heart. I'm not busting out statistical odds, just call them like I see them. If you disagree, that is fanfreakintastic, I'll buy you a cookie and send it to one of your other user names. Which one would you prefer?

How did you go from "Lol, I agree parappa is hard" to "I am going to now become negative towards you say you have another username and typing like you stole my car." Not sure what's wrong my child, but most people by large stats have PS2 and SNES and currently 360 as runner up as best console ever lists tops, and that's why i wondered why you said that, but then you mentioned on this site so that makes sense, I thought you mean like generally.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 WitIsWisdom

Yeah, sorry... that carried over from the other thread I appolagized in already.. lol

I agree that SNES, and the PS2 are probably the most popular consoles overall, but that is also because so many units sold and those are the consoles that a ton of new gamers came in on in different generations of gaming.

I was raised with the NES, but we did have a 2600. However I was a younger kid when the original Mario game was still big, and the first memorable thing I can recall as a kid with games was playing that game. I love the NES, and I own over half the entire US NES collection. There is no other console I would rather collect for more, and I tend to find a way to LOVE just about any NES game out there regardless of how bad reviews are. I can tell you every warp, whistle, secret bush, path combination, secret block, and hidden object is in just about ANY NES game. So, my point is that nostalgia more often than not (not always) plays a role into thinking a particular console was better then another.

For example, If I got into gaming in the PS2 days, it would probably be easy enough to assume that the NES or the SNES were not my all time favorite consoles.

I'm sure there are some rare cases where for whatever the reason this happened, but not in most.

With that being said, the SNES library is amazing and beats the NES in most categories. So although the SNES argueably has a better game library, nothing will ever trump the NES in my book.

I grew up with all the consoles in each generation, so I am also not bias about the games or consoles. I just have certain consoles I prefered more.

my top consoles are in no particualr order

NES

SNES

GEN

Xbox

PS

PS2

I personally think that the Xbox 360 and PS3 were not that great compared to their predecessors. I feel they were guinea pigs for the upcoming PS4 and 720 or whatever they are going to call the next Xbox. I truly look forward to BOTH of those consoles because this generation was more about shine than substance overall imo.

however most underrated (or over looked) game console would have to go to the Neo Geo or the TG16 for me. The cube wasn't under rated at the time, however it is often over rated now.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#60 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

seeing as how todays gamers whine about graphics i pretty much say  yes ,    even the n64 was under rated,

my top ten consoles have to be

1-snes

2 wii

3 ps1

4 genesis

5 dc 

6 ps2

7 n64

8 nes

9 gc

10  itching its way up my totem poll wiiu 

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

the gc was not underrated as it was underwhelming. off course they had first party games that were awesome. NINTENDO WILL ALWAYS HAVE GREAT FIRST PARTY TITLES but they stopped evolviing after n64. gc had how many new ips? i can only count 2 off the top of my head. sony fanboys didn't kill gc...consumers not buying the system and the games is what did them in. fanboys can't kill a system.

nintendo's last great console was snes or n64.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]No, it wasn't. It didn't get "liked" until the Wii came out. It got similar third game exclusivity backlash the Wii U currently gets. That's how much people hated it back then. 

nintendoboy16

If millions in sales indicated praise, then fans must have thought Duke Nukem Forever was a masterpiece.

So millions of people just dropped $200 on a system they hated? That makes absolutely no sense. 

I'm not denying the Gamecube was the underdog of the 6th gen, because it was, but it did not have the widspread hate you seem to think it did. The only people I can remember hating on it were Sony and MS fanboys, but it reality many loved it.

And for the record, Duke Nukem had record preorders on it so many people had it paid for before reviews were out that it was a horrible piece of crap. And like most games, Duke sold the vast majority of its copies within the first two months of it being released.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#63 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Shenmue_Jehuty

So millions of people just dropped $200 on a system they hated? That makes absolutely no sense. 

I'm not denying the Gamecube was the underdog of the 6th gen, because it was, but it did not have the widspread hate you seem to think it did. The only people I can remember hating on it were Sony and MS fanboys, but it reality many loved it.

And for the record, Duke Nukem had record preorders on it so many people had it paid for before reviews were out that it was a horrible piece of crap. And like most games, Duke sold the vast majority of its copies within the first two months of it being released.

Most people buy things, but end up finding out that they ended up hating said product. It has happened on MANY occasions.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts
[QUOTE="nekrothing"]

No, it was a terrible console and it deserves every bit of criticism that it gets, yet some people still think of it as an underappreciated gem.

The controller design was archaic and clunky, the system itself was prone to failure (especially the lens), its library consisted of your typical rehashed first-party Nintendo titles and "enhanced" ports, and those miniDVDs were a joke (not to mention a pain for developers). Nintendo's weakest console to date, without a doubt.

GSJones1994
The controller was great, one of the most comfortable ones too. Obviously you've never owned a GameCube in your entire gaming career.

The controller is the worst ive ever used. The only good thing about it was the ergomatic bumbers. I thought about getting a gamecube to play the RE games.. but I just couldnt compile a list of games that really warranted the purchase or use of space.
darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#65 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"]Compared to Sony's first-party? Which has more quantity, so are you saying the Gamecube had more quality?nekrothing

Both the Xbox and PS2 were far more technically advanced than the GameCube, in every regard. Both the Xbox and PS2 had far better libraries than the GameCube, for every genre. When compared to its competition, the GameCube pales in comparison. When you judge it by its own merits, it's nothing but a prime example of how Nintendo was still stuck in the past.

Also, those games are rated quite well actually unless you are using your personal opinion as general consensus which makes no sense.Canon-Gatorade

All ratings are personal opinion, unless you think one person's opinion has more validity than another's, which makes no sense.

Actually, that's only half right. The Xbox was definitely more powerful than the GameCube but the GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 at the very least overall. As far as the poll I voted that the GameCube was the most underrated. Tons of people said it looked like a toy with its purple color and it's handle. I heard a lot of complaints about some of the games too unless you were a loyal fan. It had a lot of great games though.
xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

Personally I loved the Gamecube, it was a great console to me, but whenever I brought it up to other people, no one ever said anything but hate about it.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#67 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
underrated for sure. not the most, though.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Well, there was a number of issues I had with the GC, personally.

Firstly, the loss of Rare.

That was a huge blow to me since I bought the system to play Rare's (and Nintendo's) games on it in the first place.

Secondly, Mario ditching the Mushroom Kingdom in favour of some tropical island and "water pump".

I was honestly hyped about a "Super Mario 128" but then the final game let me down.

Thirdly, Zelda becomming a "cartoon".

Yet again I was hyped for a "Ocarina of Time 2", yet they made a cartoon Zelda instead. (which did look nice but still, I was let down)

Furthermore, the 3rd party games didn't attract me.

Yes, there were the Resident Evil games and MGS: Twin Snakes and FF: Crystal Chronicles.

They might have looked promising but still I think it was a waste of money for Nintendo to try to grab the PlayStation audience with them. (most did not get the GC anyway)

The type of 3rd party games I wanted to play during the time were not on GC but on Xbox and PS2. (i.e. Doom 3, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Virtua Fighter 4, OutRun 2, ect.)

It also wasn't nice to constantly read all the negative comments about the system comming from the 3rd parties and the low sales.

A lot of 3rd party games were just weak PS2 ports and/or came out too late.

Another problem I had with the system was that, at the time, I had a decently powerful PC and GC's graphics didn't impress me that much. (the blurry, low-rez textures in particular)

While I'm aware that that was bound to happen and that I would probably feel different if I didn't have a PC, still it didn't really manage to impress me. (except maybe for the Resident Evil games)

Another issue was that Nintendo didn't support online play at the time while the Xbox had already a developed online gaming (if payable) and PS2 atleast had a free online play.

Many games could have benefited from it. (e.g. Mario Kart: Double Dash, F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime 2, ect.)

The GC also never got any racing game that could compete with Gran Turismo or any shooter that could compete with Halo.

I find the N64 was stronger in those genres and would it not be for Soul Calibur 2, the GC would be poor for fighters as well. (which were pretty strong on the competing systems)

And it wasn't even strong in platformers, which were the parade genre on the N64.

Overall, I expected more from the system.

Â