New GH3 not as good as advertised?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jbweldon04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jbweldon04
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
After playing two songs on the song list, I think it's safe to say that this game isn't anywhere near as good as the previous two. GH2 was amazing, the gameplay was fluid and perfect. Somehow neversoft messed that up. Hitting notes doesn't feel the same, and the game suffers from it. It's a flashy cousin of GH2. I'm so disappointed.
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
I dunno but 2 songs is not nearly enough to pass judgement on the game. I hated the new controller at first when I started playing it earlier and I am not familiar with a lot of the tracks in the game so it was weird adapting, unlike in GH1 & 2 where I knew all the tracks and how the riffs went. One thing I noticed is that the buttons are not as responsive when you first start using a controller as well, plus the start/select buttons were placed in a stupid spot and the whammy bar is too close to the strum bar. The game is awesome though, a lot of songs I know on there rocked and were so much fun to play. In a way I think it is easier then Guitar Hero 2 but stilla lot harder then Guitar Hero 1 was. The last 2 tiers are monsters though and blow the other games away, and there are lots of great tracks in the game covering different eras of rock music.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

It's pretty good, actually. Especially when you consider that it's an entirely new team that worked on it. In fact, based on my limited playtime with the game this morning, I'd say this is actually more hardcore than the last two difficulty-wise. It also has master recordings which are really nice, because as good as the other two were, some of the covers sounded off. Also, it has online play. The graphics are still pretty crappy, though, but the game really isn't about that anyway, since you can'tfocuson the graphics while playing. Still, thedrummer animation looks just absolutely horrible.

But make no mistake -- there's a lot to like here. I've heard reports of people having trouble with the new guitar, though.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shame-usBlackley
Couldn't edit the post above, but I was going to add that I just played Social Distortion's "Story Of My Life," and if that's Mike Ness, I'll eat my shoe. So I'm pretty sure that not all the songs are done by the actual bands, because while close, this cat sounds a little too nasally to be Mike Ness.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I have beaten the game on Medium and I am a little mixed on how I really feal about it. I really enjoyed some tracks that I have forgotten over the years, but the further I got into the game the more I was let down. I know the upper levels are supposed be harder, but even on Medium it came down to just mashing away at all the different buttons at once to just get past some of those songs. Metallica could have given a better song up, but I guess we're lucky we got anything at all out of those guys. I was bummed out to find that even after beating the game on Medium there are still tracks that haven't been unlocked yet. Beastie Boys, Chili Peppers were two I noticed were not available yet. I swear to God if they make me play multi player to get those songs I am going to be pissed off. The guitar feels a lot different and the note timing takes some getting used to. Right now I am feeling this game is about a 8.5 but that could change once I get used to everything and unlock all the songs.
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#6 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts

like any game it gets old. its not madden which you can push one out year after year, but the songs. there just cashing in on the new gamers and people who missed out on the first 2 guitar heros.

After playing two songs on the song list, I think it's safe to say that this game isn't anywhere near as good as the previous two. GH2 was amazing, the gameplay was fluid and perfect. Somehow neversoft messed that up. Hitting notes doesn't feel the same, and the game suffers from it. It's a flashy cousin of GH2. I'm so disappointed.jbweldon04

jbweldon04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jbweldon04
I think the main problem I'm having is the guitar. I played a song on Hard and finally got some five star stuff, but then I did the weezer song and I swear I was holding down the fret buttons and it was just not responsing at all. I'm going to go buy some new batteries and see if this fixes the issue. Maybe the batteries Neversoft included suck. I'll reply after I try it out.
aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 aaaaarrrrggggg
Member since 2005 • 13979 Posts
I find it revolting. The entire system just flat out fails for me, and i could have easily beaten every failed song if they hadn't messed the interface up. Honestly, they're running out of classic tracks, and it doesn't help that they screwed up the interface. It's a huge letdown for me.
jbweldon04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jbweldon04
Yea, the guitar sux....
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shame-usBlackley

Just got to Tier 4, and the songs are really getting good.

Sabbath, Sex Pistols, and Weezer are all really fun on Hard. I still hate frigging Sonic Youth, though. Ah well, three outta four ain't bad. :)

Also, they really ratcheted up the difficulty for this game. Hard is more akin to GH2's Expert from what I'm seeing. Although they did increase the hit time between notes, effectively making the long strings and hammer on/ pull offs easier.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#11 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I have a rather odd question for anyone who's played it yet - are the note markers sprites? I played a bit of the demo and spent a few minutes staring at them as they scrolled past and I'm still convinced they're sprites and not 3D objects, since the perspective doesn't change as they fly past.

The game also doesn't feel quite as right as the last two, but maybe judging that on a demo isn't fair.

jiggidyjiggidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jiggidyjiggidy
Member since 2007 • 1119 Posts
guitar hero is just soooo freaking played out right now, who cares.
Zelly2992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zelly2992
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I play thedemo it was just like any other Guitar Hero new songs, updated graphics and new camera angles although the difficulty has gone up very high. But would you waste your money on new songs basically thats what u are getting or a brand new game. The game is very good ould do know is come out with expansion packs that have 50 songs every year

Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

so you guys are saying it's more difficult than GH2...so what tiers are the songs on the demo on? icruised throughthem on hard on my first try, and this is coming from someone who can barely pass the 2nd tier songs on expert in GH2...

anyway, i've been sucked in to the guitar hero franchise after playing the 360 version, so it's safe to say i'll be buying the next few versions for sure before i start getting bored...

one other question - how's the online play so far? any lag?

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts

I play thedemo it was just like any other Guitar Hero new songs, updated graphics and new camera angles although the difficulty has gone up very high. But would you waste your money on new songs basically thats what u are getting or a brand new game. The game is very good ould do know is come out with expansion packs that have 50 songs every year

Zelly2992

All I can say is moo to anyone who downloaded the original tracks from Guitar Hero 1 so they could play them on the 360, because the price of the content was more then what it cost to buy the game for the PS2. Guitar Hero 3 is different in a lot of ways though, they added some video stuff to the game plus character motions are actually realistic, hell the singer actually can move his mouth and it looks like he is singing every word of every tune, something the last two games lacked, plus the drummer actually has physics and does some half decent motions when playing drum fills and stuff. The last tier is a pain though, Raining Blood is pissing me off because I play it right and I get too many clinks even though I am hitting the notes properly and I am playing it on hard mode.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shame-usBlackley

Also, it should be noted that this game has the absolute worst achievements in a 360 game ever. Not worst as in "they're so hard they're bad." No, worst in a "Oh man, you want someone to play through the game on Hard using a controller which totally breaks the reason for playing the game to begin with" kind of way. Worst in "play with one of the developers who'll probably never be online" kind of way. Worst ina "play the entire game using lefty and righty flip" kind of way.

The achievements are hard, but they're also just absolutely ridiculous as well. Especially the using the controller one.

Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts
Ugh, I ordered it online and have to wait for monday (no mail on sunday). So.... any Through Fire and Flames impressions?
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Im having a blast so far, picked this up Sunday as I lucked out and walked in on a few copys being put on the shelf at a Walmart. Im only on the second tier but the songs are awesome, the graphics are a significant upgrade and im only playing on medium but I notice the difficulty is a touch higher so farm even on the low tiers. Still im ******* pumped for this game, number of the beast, raining blood, one and through the fire and the flames are gonna rock my socks. Oh yeah and I agree with Shamus, the achievements really, really, really suck.
super_slonik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 super_slonik
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

I think the main problem I'm having is the guitar. I played a song on Hard and finally got some five star stuff, but then I did the weezer song and I swear I was holding down the fret buttons and it was just not responsing at all. I'm going to go buy some new batteries and see if this fixes the issue. Maybe the batteries Neversoft included suck. I'll reply after I try it out.jbweldon04

So true!

I did the same, but then i switched controller to my wired guitar from GH2, and it is perfectly responsive!