New game ranking system

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Orvald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Orvald
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Hey, everyone! I'm the old gamer (since 1992) and recently I found that many game rankings are absolutely not adequate to what I get from those games. That is known problem, and I think the main reason is that current ranking system simply lacks refinement. When game gets 9.5/10, 10/10 it is really how much it worths: great visuals, good gameplay, sounds e.t.c, but when someone like me plays it, I can see how un-original it is, how better was some of its genre ancestors, how developers were cutting corners here and there, how it was overhyped and e.t.c.

What I propose, is to make 100/100 system, where 50 points of 100 will consist of all that current game rating has to offer: visuals, gameplay, sounds, story e.t.c

That other 50 should consist of something like: Originality, Kept Promises(overhyped game gets 0, and 10 get the game which delivers what devs marketed), and [put your 3 suggestion here]. I'm planning on think what the rest 30 points should represent, gather few people whom has free time to spare and knows everything about some specific genre, and open small webpage to review all those upcoming giants. I can take care of RPG genre and all the coding.

What do you guys think about it?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Most places used to use a 1/100 system, however as it's more work for reviewers to decide on a score everyone went to 1/10.. easier to say "oh it was good but not THAT good and give it a 7. Doesn't really matter either way.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

I think the game industry needs to go into the 5 star rating system. You hardly ever see a game score below 5 anymore and when it does get even a 5, it's usually a really bad game. 

I miss the old days when reviews used to include a rating for replay value, learning curve, music, graphics, gameplay etc and averaged it all out. 

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
1992 is considered old? :? Anyway I think both the games and the way they're rated is just fine. Your proposed system comes off as being facetitous. sp?
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I think it's fine the way it is. I don't think there's a specific formula it should follow, just whatever the reviewer feels like scoring a game because it's their opinion and all.
Orvald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Orvald

Alright, lets look at it from another perspective. My main point: game should never get maximum score, except some extra-rare cases when masterpiece really breaks the boundaries. Within my system, games which gets 10/10 now, will get 50/100;

To earn the rest 50 points, it will need to bring something  new:

1. For the industry

2. For the genre

3. For the concept

4. Stay honest with the hype

?

I dislike current ratings, because established franchise or well-made clones with good marketing campaign will get more then 9. 

I just want to establish some good rating system, which will define next-generation games, currently this is not possible, if you know what I mean. Trully next-gen game will get 9/10 or 10/10, and that is in no way represents any huge step developers had taken.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#7 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I wish 'score' ratings would just go away.

I've never seen so much animosity and vitriol poured out on the internet as in the last few years, over something as ridiculous as a game getting a 7.5 instead of an 8.  The 'average', which should be a '5' is almost totally ignored by everyone, and it seems to have shifted to become a 7 out of 10.

Metacritic has turned score ratings into a joke, ignoring those at each end of the scale, weighting those from some sites more than others, turning 4/5 into 80/100, and using some obscure algorithm to come to some 'generalistic' score that is essentially meaningless.  Unfortunately the game industry thinks it's relevant, and is basing business decisions on this nonsense.  The whole system is broken and redundant.

I'd much rather have a reviewer simply tell me whether a game is great, good, average, or rubbish, and rely on the actual editorial to make up my mind.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The scoring is just the person opinion and the least important apart of a review.

Orvald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Orvald

You see, guys, from the point of view of a gamer ("oh I need to know is that game is good?") I can just watch video review and make my own opinion. Rating is just some other opinion, right, so no point stressing over it.

But that is not why I want to bring new system up.

Rating system has other purpose - developers, whom are making the game, always wants to get high rating. For personal reasons, for marketing purposes.

I see how game industry if falling apart: AAA developer studio can produce game clone and get 10 points for nothing. Some indie can bring up good concept, but fell short on production value, and sink in low ratings. Todays rating system is holding whole industry from moving forward. I just dream of that day, when I can see new rating system adopted, which will raise AAA 10/10 game standard. In order to get 100/100, game studio will be forced to aim for much more then it needs now.

Unfortunately, when I bring this idea up, not many people gets interested. Probably that is the last time I do it. Maybe it is just me, and majority really doesn't notice how much less all those 9/10 games really deserve.

If new standart is established, large studio wll have no chance bribing the rating: it will get 50 out of 100, if it introduced nothing new. Right now, it can bribe and get 10/10 and you can not argue with that. Like, no standart, no legal position for any opinion you say.

Orvald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Orvald

You see, guys, from the point of view of a gamer ("oh I need to know is that game is good?") I can just watch video review and make my own opinion. Rating is just some other opinion, right, so no point stressing over it.

But that is not why I want to bring new system up.

Rating system has other purpose - developers, whom are making the game, always wants to get high rating. For personal reasons, for marketing purposes.

I see how game industry if falling apart: AAA developer studio can produce game clone and get 10 points for nothing. Some indie can bring up good concept, but fell short on production value, and sink in low ratings. Todays rating system is holding whole industry from moving forward. I just dream of that day, when I can see new rating system adopted, which will raise AAA 10/10 game standard. In order to get 100/100, game studio will be forced to aim for much more then it needs now.

Unfortunately, when I bring this idea up, not many people gets interested. Probably that is the last time I do it. Maybe it is just me, and majority really doesn't notice how much less all those 9/10 games really deserve.

If new standart is established, large studio wll have no chance bribing the rating: it will get 50 out of 100, if it introduced nothing new. Right now, it can bribe and get 10/10 and you can not argue with that. Like, no standart, no "legal" position for any opinion you say.

Orvald

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
Or... You can just pick up what interests you, instead of basing your decisions off of reviews. 0.0 I know, shocker.