MOst overrated games?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NicaraoXXVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NicaraoXXVII
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
There are many great games, but some are jsut ok, but like bien overrate ya kno. which games u think they are. i personally think Final fantasy VII, god of war, and the halo series to be overrated
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
Wind Waker GTA4 MGS4
Avatar image for monkeymoose5000
monkeymoose5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 monkeymoose5000
Member since 2007 • 6111 Posts
Call of Duty games. The single player campaigns are awful and the multiplayer gets old after three rounds, though I did enjoy world at war. Halo series is overrated as well, the third game was just bad.
Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
Crysis. Good game, just not life changing like some people make it out to be
majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 majinstrings
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts

The Halo series...

Ialso foundHalf-Life 2 to be very overrated...maybe because I played it on a 360?

Nebenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nebenator
I'm going to go with the COD series as well.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Crysis. Good game, just not life changing like some people make it out to beFrenzyd109
Agreed at 100%!
rassklot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rassklot
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts
Half life 2 is pretty over rated... MGS4 majoras mask..
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

MGS4

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4.
Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#11 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

I may not like a great game, but it's not overrated. There is no such thing as a overrated game.

NicaraoXXVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NicaraoXXVII
yea i think all of duty, especially modern warfare, its all glitz and glamour and effects. though i do admit i did enjoy the sheer intensity of it
V-Act

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 V-Act
Member since 2005 • 660 Posts

Crysis for sure. Crappy backgroundstory and a even crappier ending.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
most FPS games are overrated. There's way too many of them out there and its all some people play.
Norescan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Norescan

I may not like a great game, but it's not overrated. There is no such thing as a overrated game.

Avian005

Oh yes... yes it does. In our unique world, that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

gta4

MGS4

Half Life 2

Uncharted 2

L4D2

Portal

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts
Before I would say the most overrated game was Halo 3, COD4, or FFVII....... But now it is Modern Warfare 2
Gammet25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Gammet25
Member since 2009 • 1064 Posts

Halo 3 ODST and Modern Warfare 2 so much. sigh. Thats why people should just go with their opinions. Oh and theres far cry 2

pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pecanin
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

Take any list of "Best Games of all time" and you'll find many games that are just plain average on those lists .

FF VII

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

Doom

all good games,some groundbreaking in certain parts but great no not really .

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

You can say what you want about those games but those are pretty revolutionary games.

FFVII brought JRPGs to the mainstream in the west and was perhaps the first major game to revolutionize CG movies with the game's story, Halo revolutionized console FPS and multiplayer for consoles and literally saved Microsoft's endeavor into console gaming, and God of War revolutionized the action/adventure genre by fusing the best of Japanese and western game design elements in a successful and big way. God of War 2 being the best action/adventure game during its release on a last-gen system is a testament to how amazing the series really is.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
You know, some games I play and I think "this really isn't my thing, but I certainly see why some people think this is brilliant". Had that moment with Call of Duty 4 when I tried it at a friend's house. But there are certain games that just simply aren't as good as people think. The best example? Final Fantasy VII. Incredibly shallow gameplay system, because there is very little you can do to develop your characters or alter them in meaningful ways. The materia system only really lets you define your characters as either fighters or spell-casters, while rewarding you a little if you experiment with combinations. Yet that system itself is incredibly binary; you either have a successful combination or not. Just because the combat system is fluid, and looks good, doesn't mean that there's anything under the hood. Then there's the story. Yes, there are elements that are intriguing. I was interested in the relationship between Sephiroth and Cloud, and some of the characters were interesting, but half of the supporting cast consisted of stereotyped, cardboard caricatures, and the ones that actually were somewhat interesting, Red XIII and Cait Sith in particular, were the ones that received the least screen time. The environmental themes were more than a touch preachy. Oh, and the translation was awful. It wouldn't start to turn the corner until Final Fantasy VIII. There are other flaws; inconsistent art style, strange animations, inconsistent pacing... and it's frustrating to see it possess so much acclaim when the games that came immediately before and after it in the series, are both infinitely better and far less popular, especially the oft-misunderstood Final Fantasy VIII.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ASK_Story

Take any list of "Best Games of all time" and you'll find many games that are just plain average on those lists .

FF VII

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

Doom

pecanin
I honestly don't understand how anyone can think Half-Life 2 is overrated.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="Oilers99"]You know, some games I play and I think "this really isn't my thing, but I certainly see why some people think this is brilliant". Had that moment with Call of Duty 4 when I tried it at a friend's house. But there are certain games that just simply aren't as good as people think. The best example? Final Fantasy VII. Incredibly shallow gameplay system, because there is very little you can do to develop your characters or alter them in meaningful ways. The materia system only really lets you define your characters as either fighters or spell-casters, while rewarding you a little if you experiment with combinations. Yet that system itself is incredibly binary; you either have a successful combination or not. Just because the combat system is fluid, and looks good, doesn't mean that there's anything under the hood. Then there's the story. Yes, there are elements that are intriguing. I was interested in the relationship between Sephiroth and Cloud, and some of the characters were interesting, but half of the supporting cast consisted of stereotyped, cardboard caricatures, and the ones that actually were somewhat interesting, Red XIII and Cait Sith in particular, were the ones that received the least screen time. The environmental themes were more than a touch preachy. Oh, and the translation was awful. It wouldn't start to turn the corner until Final Fantasy VIII. There are other flaws; inconsistent art style, strange animations, inconsistent pacing... and it's frustrating to see it possess so much acclaim when the games that came immediately before and after it in the series, are both infinitely better and far less popular, especially the oft-misunderstood Final Fantasy VIII.

Yeah, playing FFVII now, we can see how there were so many flaws. I agree. But you can't deny that it was a revolutionary game for its time. That's the acknowledgment I'm giving it.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
[QUOTE="pecanin"]

FF VII

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

Doom

ASK_Story

I can. It seemed pretty sublime from the five or so hours I played before my computer crash wiped my hard drive, but considering the sheer quantity of acclaim it's received, if you're anything less than completely in love you'd likely feel pretty disconnected from your fellow gamers on the issue.
TheAnimalAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 TheAnimalAK47
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts

mario

halo

pokemon

all nintendo games

and..........

sometimes call of duty,especially modern warfare.

pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pecanin

[QUOTE="pecanin"]

FF VII

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

Doom

ASK_Story

It is ,it hasn't delivered anything new except gimmicks and if i am going to change my entire gaming life i need something better than game that introduced

corporate spyware into our life ( steam) . Half Life 2 is nothing without community mods same goes for original HL

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ASK_Story

mario

halo

pokemon

all nintendo games

and..........

sometimes call of duty,especially modern warfare.

TheAnimalAK47
If those are overrated than what's a good game to you?
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BattleTurtles

You can say what you want about those games but those are pretty revolutionary games.

FFVII brought JRPGs to the mainstream in the west and was perhaps the first major game to revolutionize CG movies with the game's story, Halo revolutionized console FPS and multiplayer for consoles and literally saved Microsoft's endeavor into console gaming, and God of War revolutionized the action/adventure genre by fusing the best of Japanese and western game design elements in a successful and big way. God of War 2 being the best action/adventure game during its release on a last-gen system is a testament to how amazing the series really is.

ASK_Story
Halo didn't revolutionize console FPS, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark did. God of War pales in comparison to Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. And while I think FFVII is awful, it did make JRPGs popular outside Japan.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

BattleTurtles
Halo didn't revolutionize console FPS, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark did. God of War pales in comparison to Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. And while I think FFVII is awful, it did make JRPGs popular outside Japan.

I think you should research a bit on the Halo thing. And no, God of War doesn't pale in comparison to Ninja Gaiden or DMC.
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BattleTurtles
[QUOTE="BattleTurtles"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

ASK_Story

I think you should research a bit on the Halo thing. And no, God of War doesn't pale in comparison to Ninja Gaiden or DMC.

Well in my opinion, it does.
Liam_Eibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31 Liam_Eibach
Member since 2009 • 119 Posts

I agree with the people who said Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Call Of Duty games were over-rated.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts
You know, some games I play and I think "this really isn't my thing, but I certainly see why some people think this is brilliant". Had that moment with Call of Duty 4 when I tried it at a friend's house. But there are certain games that just simply aren't as good as people think. The best example? Final Fantasy VII. Incredibly shallow gameplay system, because there is very little you can do to develop your characters or alter them in meaningful ways. The materia system only really lets you define your characters as either fighters or spell-casters, while rewarding you a little if you experiment with combinations. Yet that system itself is incredibly binary; you either have a successful combination or not. Just because the combat system is fluid, and looks good, doesn't mean that there's anything under the hood. Then there's the story. Yes, there are elements that are intriguing. I was interested in the relationship between Sephiroth and Cloud, and some of the characters were interesting, but half of the supporting cast consisted of stereotyped, cardboard caricatures, and the ones that actually were somewhat interesting, Red XIII and Cait Sith in particular, were the ones that received the least screen time. The environmental themes were more than a touch preachy. Oh, and the translation was awful. It wouldn't start to turn the corner until Final Fantasy VIII. There are other flaws; inconsistent art style, strange animations, inconsistent pacing... and it's frustrating to see it possess so much acclaim when the games that came immediately before and after it in the series, are both infinitely better and far less popular, especially the oft-misunderstood Final Fantasy VIII.Oilers99
That is true.....but more needs to be added FFVII rips off FFVI's story structure, you have an amnesic hero (VI: Terra VII: Cloud) who works for an evil organization (VI: The Empire VII: Shinra Corp) but then falls under a resistance group (VI; Returners VII: AVALANCHE) and assists them. Meanwhile an experiemental solider under the evil organization (VI; Kefka VII: Sephiroth) goes awry, turns against the evil organization, and becomes an even bigger threat than the organization. Then the party must work together and face this threat in a final battle in which he turns into an angel like being. Basically just like FFVI without an incredible second main protagonist (Celes), great characters, adherence to the main narrative theme, proper pacing, freedom, a consistant art style, and charm. When a game is not as good as its predecessor, but looked on as the greatest thing ever, its overrated. I find that IX, Tactics, and XII beat FFVII as well. Hell, FFVII wasn't even the best FF game of 1997.
Magnius09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Magnius09
Member since 2005 • 45 Posts

Before I would say the most overrated game was Halo 3, COD4, or FFVII....... But now it is Modern Warfare 2texasgoldrush

I agree, although I did get a lot more time out of halo 3 than the COD series. MW2 is a good game, but it's already growing stale for me.

jaredcsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jaredcsimpson
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

Final fantasy seven.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="pecanin"]

FF VII

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

Doom

ASK_Story

It's bland? I played it and kept waiting for "TEH AWESOME!" to hit and it never did. The story was boring and I found it hard to follow, the characters unimaginative, the levels boring. I don't see what is so great about the game or what others see in it. To me it's just a generic shooter. I found games like bioshock and bloodlines to be far better. And when people throw around "best game ever made" "most revolutionairy game ever" "incredibly original" it's probably overrated.

Ohhhh I think this post will generate a flame or two directed at me by someone. But it's just my opinion. I never cared for HL2.

pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pecanin

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="pecanin"]

FF VII

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

Doom

Pixel-Pirate

It's bland? I played it and kept waiting for "TEH AWESOME!" to hit and it never did. The story was boring and I found it hard to follow, the characters unimaginative, the levels boring. I don't see what is so great about the game or what others see in it. To me it's just a generic shooter. I found games like bioshock and bloodlines to be far better. And when people throw around "best game ever made" "most revolutionairy game ever" "incredibly original" it's probably overrated.

Ohhhh I think this post will generate a flame or two directed at me by someone. But it's just my opinion. I never cared for HL2.

It is all about opinions ,i'm sure most of us have their favourite games which others sneer at ,but when ppl start defending games like HL2 (which i hate ),that is when you have to point out all of it's flaws.As a gamer i will play anything that holds my attention ,but to say that one game is best is too much . That game would have to be something special and sadly each game that you or i posses has it's flaws

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="Frenzyd109"]Crysis. Good game, just not life changing like some people make it out to beCrimsader
Agreed at 100%!

200% here!!!
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="pecanin"]

FF VII

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

Doom

ASK_Story

It is very overatted in comparison with half life that was far bettter. Better levels, combat, weapons ai. Some of the levels and situations in hl2 were cheap excuses to use the gravity gun with very annoying parts and even pretty damn borring i dare to say!!! In simple words "NOT perfect" Not even nearly as great fps experiance as they say, especially the episodes are very overatted since their technology/graphics are pretty dated!!
pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pecanin

[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="pecanin"]

FF VII

Half Life 2

Deus Ex

Doom

dakan45

It is very overatted in comparison with half life that was far bettter. Better levels, combat, weapons ai. Some of the levels and situations in hl2 were cheap excuses to use the gravity gun with very annoying parts and even pretty damn borring i dare to say!!! In simple words "NOT perfect" Not even nearly as great fps experiance as they say, especially the episodes are very overatted since their technology/graphics are pretty dated!!

Entire bloody game was just an excuse to force Steam on gamers

unknown_hero8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 unknown_hero8
Member since 2009 • 100 Posts
brutal legend, that game was brutal... ledgend...? yes that game was brutal legend... wut? wow was i really talking to my self... time to find a gf...
theprototype0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 theprototype0
Member since 2009 • 70 Posts

There are many great games, but some are jsut ok, but like bien overrate ya kno. which games u think they are. i personally think Final fantasy VII, god of war, and the halo series to be overrated NicaraoXXVII

Final fantasy VII is the best game ever made , you don't have a taste

but you are right about HALO , it's the worst shooting game i ever played , it seems that microsoft pays people to make them play the game :P

theprototype0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 theprototype0

Wind Waker GTA4 MGS4BattleTurtles

you are right about GTA4 , every mission is "go kill him","go kill that" or "i don't like him ,go kill him" kill kill kill , that's what the game is all about

but how come you say MGS4 ???

it's the best game ever made on PS3 , didn't you play it?

Wind waker is also amazing , it's never overrated

theprototype0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 theprototype0

Call of Duty games. The single player campaigns are awful and the multiplayer gets old after three rounds, though I did enjoy world at war. Halo series is overrated as well, the third game was just bad.monkeymoose5000

Every HALO game is bad , not just the third one

speaking of call of duty games . they are regular ,nothing special about them , but what's really cool about the series is "Modern Warfare" and "Modern Warfare 2" , i really enjoyed playing them

for your information , Modern warfare sold 13 million copies worldwide , how come it's overrated? it's not.

theprototype0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 theprototype0

gta4

MGS4

Half Life 2

Uncharted 2

L4D2

Portal

Pixel-Pirate

:S :S :S

these games are the best games ever made , all of them are top 10

let me ask you what game do you like ,honestly

theprototype0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 theprototype0

brutal legend, that game was brutal... ledgend...? yes that game was brutal legend... wut? wow was i really talking to my self... time to find a gf...unknown_hero8

the game is great , only for those who love rock and metal music , but i agree about the name , why did they call it Brutal legend? the name sucks

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleTurtles"]Wind Waker GTA4 MGS4theprototype0

you are right about GTA4 , every mission is "go kill him","go kill that" or "i don't like him ,go kill him" kill kill kill , that's what the game is all about

but how come you say MGS4 ???

it's the best game ever made on PS3 , didn't you play it?

Wind waker is also amazing , it's never overrated

MGS4 is overrated because of it's poor writing, redundant dialogue, story is ridiculous, awkward pacing, cutscenes overshadowing gameplay in the later acts, conflicting stealth/action design, bad forced stealth section at beginning of Act III, average gunplay, boss fights not living up to series standard, etc.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Of this generation. Oblivion- there's no reason a game this broken deserves a 9.6. This thing is a 7, tops (and I personally wouldn't be so generous). Mario Galaxy- most of the stars are rather easy and the game is ungodly linear. I heard the later stars are more difficult to get, but I got so bored after 40 stars that I haven't picked it up since. And don't get me started on the camera...
Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts

Halo 2 & 3

Burnout franchise - I've tried these games, always they seemed total **** to me.

Half-Life franchise, though I loved TFC

CoD to some extent, though I know why it's so popular.

Little Big Planet

Avatar image for JonnyEarthquake
JonnyEarthquake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 JonnyEarthquake
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

Resident Evil 5. Endless grind-fest with lazy monster/level design, underdeveloped co-op elements, outdated controls and little to no excitement to play it.