Looking for a new rpg to play.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blackbart666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blackbart666
Member since 2015 • 40 Posts

So, as above I am looking for a new rpg to play. Please read through my requirements and played games before posting.

My requirements:
-PC
-RPG
-No team fights like in Dragon Age. I hate A.I. getting in my way.
-Character customization (this is a key feature)
-Open world would be great but not a necessity.
-Can be set anywhere and any time period, apart from east i.e. China or Japan (Just not my cup of tea)
-No MMORPGs (MMOs are rpgs like World of Warcraft, Lineage, Tera or Wildstar)
-No cartoonish, anime style graphics

I played:
-Gothic series
-Diablo series
-The Witcher series
-Fallout series
-TES series
-Fable series
-Mass Effect
-Dark Souls
-Planescape
-Baldur's Gate
-Divinity
-Kingdom of Amalur
-Neverwinter
-Risen series
-Torchlight series
-South Park the Stick of Truth

Help me out here, I'm pulling my hair out trying to find something to play.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I think there is a sticky topic for these type of questions.

blackbart666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blackbart666

@wiouds: Nope, there's only a sticky for games you can't remember.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@blackbart666: you should really play Dragon Age

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@blackbart666: I know it was a topic and rule in the past for recommending games.

Try pillars of eternity. You have a party and you need to pause the game to play it well. Also all stats are important to every class.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts
  • Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
  • Arcanuim

MetalSev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MetalSev
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

Persona 4 is one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Heck, even one of the best GAMES I've ever played. It has an anime art style, but the gameplay and story make up for it if your particularly against that art style. The game is fairly customizable, and pretty big in terms of things to do.

I'm not one to like anime, but I liked the game so much I bought the anime cartoon based off the game. It's that good, check it out!

blackbart666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blackbart666

@uninspiredcup said:
  • Arcanuim

Played both. Loved both.

@metalsev said:

Persona 4 is one of the best RPG's I've ever played. Heck, even one of the best GAMES I've ever played. It has an anime art style, but the gameplay and story make up for it if your particularly against that art style. The game is fairly customizable, and pretty big in terms of things to do.

I'm not one to like anime, but I liked the game so much I bought the anime cartoon based off the game. It's that good, check it out!

Thx but I just can't get through that graphic style. One of the best RPGs I've ever played was Gothic, but if it was styled like an anime it just would be as good simply because the atmosphere would be different.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

You say no team based RPGs because you don't like AI getting in the way, but what about team based RPGs that don't feature AI like that and require you to manage each character?

For RPGs like that, Divinity: Original Sin is pretty good. Story isn't that hot, but the combat is a lot of fun. It has a standard turn based battle system with intense environmental modifications. Basically you control 2-4 different NPCs and they each have a pool of points per turn. Moving expends points as well as performing actions. There's a lot of fun stuff like when you hit enemies, they bleed. You can then vaporize that blood with a fire spell which will create a cloud of steam. Then you can cast a lightning spell at that cloud of steam, creating a storm cloud that will shock anyone nearby, friend or foe. You can seed the battlefield with poison pools and then throw a fireball, making them all explode. Lots of fun stuff like that. Setting is generic high fantasy.

Wasteland 2 is a pretty fantastic turn based RPG where you control a group up to a size of 7. It has a standard XCOM style turn based system using a combination of explosives, melee weapons, and ranged weapons (handguns, assault rifles, shotguns, submachine guns, sniper rifles). You can hide behind cover, aim headshots, etc. Setting is post apocalyptic, think Fallout (the original Fallout which was also a turn based RPG like Wasteland 2 was basically a spiritual sequel to the original Wasteland).

wiouds mentioned Pillars of Eternity, hands down my pick for best game of 2015 so far. Incredible game. It has it all, tons of customization, an incredible story, a great world, non-linear quest design, factions to side with, incredibly deep and challenging combat, tons of settings to make the game play like you want, etc. You also control a party, but it's much more like Baldur's Gate than Dragon Age. There are no AI settings you can pick so you'll have to micromanage each character. You can just command your entire party to attack an enemy and then sit and watch them do it like it's an RTS game but that's usually inefficient and will you get you hopelessly crushed against bigger groups of enemies.

As for action RPGs, you've already played most of the good ones. You mentioned Diablo and Torchlight, so you might want to try the older game Titan Quest. It was much, MUCH better than the Torchlight games. Or the new game from those guys, Grim Dawn, but I think it's still in early access. I haven't played it yet (I avoid early access) so no comment on how good or bad it is.

You could try Darksiders 2. It has the loot system and skill trees from a Diablo game, the world design and dungeon design of a Zelda game, and the combat of a God of War game. It's a pretty fantastic game, IMO. If you play it on PC, you will experience microstuttering unless you change some settings in the Nvidia control panel (or the AMD equivalent) but that's not a big deal.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

How about deus ex human revolution, i dont know if its out on pc but its a crackin game, get the directors edition.

donmuath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 donmuath
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
  • Arcanuim

Seconded, both are great games and I enjoyed them after finishing the infinity engine games ( I think you meant Arcanum, btw :P). I''d add the whole Deus Ex series, the new Shadowrun games Ultima 7 and Pillars of Eternity to the list. Although I stopped playing PoE because of the progressively longer loading times, so start it at your own risk.

blackbart666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blackbart666

@ariabed: @LuminousAether:

^This is the kind of awnsers i expect :) I don't like taking control of a party. Too many people to keep alive :P I remember the only game in which you control a group of people that i like are Rainbow Six series, although i will give a go to Pillar of Eternity. Currently trying out Darksiders 2 and PoE.

@ariabed said:

How about deus ex human revolution, i dont know if its out on pc but its a crackin game, get the directors edition.

I wanted to try that but i'm worried my pc won't be able to handle it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#14 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

@donmuath: ok I didn't know Deus Ex is an RPG ... then Borderlands is also a RPG

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Coco_pierrot: technically it is, even though at it's core it's a first-person stealth/shooter hybrid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Wasteland 2 is awesome

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@blackbart666 said:

@ariabed said:

I wanted to try that but i'm worried my pc won't be able to handle it.

What are your specs? It's actually a pretty well optimized game. Had no problem running at good settings in 1080p on an old Phenom II 965BE processor and an R7 260x (HD7790)

BoomPains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoomPains
Member since 2014 • 70 Posts

Better try RBF, currently playing it. I think some if it will fit on your wants. :)

blackbart666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blackbart666

@boompains: Radial Basis Function? Railway Benefit Fund? Random Business Forum? Rope Burning Facts? Red Boring Forest? Roman Bath Function? Real Babe Fun? Reaction Before France? Remove Bad Finance? Reliable bed fog? Recreational bread front? Real bush foliage?

Which one?

BoomPains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BoomPains
Member since 2014 • 70 Posts

@blackbart666 none of that fits your answer tho.. its Real Bull Fittings..Got it? lol (insert sarcasm here)