LFGame that allows to have a family but not a main focus.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blankolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blankolf
Member since 2015 • 31 Posts

I know the title is a bit confusing, but I don't know why but I've been looking for a kind of game that as you caring for others, interancting or even managing, I would prefer it if it would be in a family like sense, but it can also be romance with Love Interest or crew management let it be RPG, a sandbox game or 4X.

Game I've played that fit in this weird description:

• Skyrim - fits pretty well, with NPCs that you care and it allows you to bond, although the children part of the game is lacklusting.

• Minecraft with Minecraft Comes Alive - being itself a mod as its limitations but good nonetheless, trying to find what can be done of entertaining in Minecraft except the mod.

• Mass Effect trilogy - I've tried many Bioware games but this trilogy tops everything, it has most of what I want in it and a great plot, characters, and makes you care for them.

• Crusader Kings 2 - although I didn't enjoy it that much, but its entertaining for the first hours at least, it is pretty good with the aspect of generations

Are there any games that you can suggest that somewhat fit in this genre?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

The Fable games allow you to start a family and it's not a required component. However, there's very little in the way of management. You can pretty much never do anything to maintain your families and they'll chug long just fine.

All of the earlier Bioware RPGs had elements of this similar to what Mass Effect did. Both Knights of the Old Republic Star Wars games were excellent games, but they also had a ship that you move from hub planet to hub planet where you can take on missions. They also have interpersonal conflicts that you sometimes have to resolve and they may have their own NPC specific side missions that you can do. Jade Empire was structurally similar, except it's basically a Kung Fu movie and your characters are on a boat if I recall.

The Dragon Age games also do the same thing. In those when you "camp" you can interact with your characters directly to find out more about them, improve their morale or some problems for them.

Earlier D&D games like Neverwinter Nights 2 also had a great party influence mechanic. Different party members have wildly different personalities and they can get into arguments with each other or agree/disagree with your solution to a particular problem.

All of the above are on PC and all but NWN2 have some sort of console counterpart.

There's also a previous gen console game series called Agarest, which is a TRPG that takes place over multiple generations. The character you play later in the game is determined by which character you choose to romance earlier in the game.

-Byshop

Blankolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Blankolf

Thank you for your answer.

Agarest seems to be the most appealing, since I've played through every Bioware series game, except Jade Empire , the graphics might be a turn off, but we'll see how it turns out.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@blankolf said:

Thank you for your answer.

Agarest seems to be the most appealing, since I've played through every Bioware series game, except Jade Empire , the graphics might be a turn off, but we'll see how it turns out.

Agarest is a a bit retro in style even for a PS2 era game but if you like TRPGs it's decent. It's in Japanese with English subtitles, and they translation isn't exactly perfect.

Jade Empire is a blast and is basically like if KOTOR were an action RPG since it uses true realtime combat where you directly control your character versus KOTOR's real-time/semi turn based combat system.

Rise of the Argonauts is another similarly styled game to Jade Empire, although I never played all the way through that game so I can't comment on it as well.

The "Total War" games also usually include a mechanic around this. Faction leaders and family members can get married and have children, who can turn into governors, generals, and faction heirs. You can approve or reject marriages, but beyond that you don't have a ton of control over it.

-Byshop

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

The witcher 3 is rather good RPG. Obivion or the oblivion mod built in skyrims engine. Why not try an MMO?

Blankolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blankolf

Yeah, I've heard quite good things on Jade Empire, but it feels kind of filler of Bioware, don't get me wrong, it's one of the greatest RPG classics, but I don't feel like investing in a world that won't get any follow up since its fate is already sealed.

Total war, yes, I've played Medieval 2, had more of the family aspect and generation sort of thing, but having bought Rome 2, I think I will try to see if its actually any good, although they dumbed down the family system of the game or so I've heard. And Gore being bought as DLC, and failing on SO many promisses on launch that they had to relaunch as Emperor's edition, they must clearly want to take EA from that spot.

RoG appears to be more of a God of War linear game, I do not enjoy so much that corridor genre.

I'm waiting on Witcher 3 for PS4, since my laptop is powerfull but not PS4-powerful, and I would get the most enjoyment. Although DA:I's FPS on PS4 are just dredful.