Lack of original ideas

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xbox122501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xbox122501
Member since 2003 • 130 Posts
All these sequels and prequels for games? but very few "new" games are coming out, are all these extensions of games a red flag for the lack of original ideas? Whats your take?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Sequels are not new. As long as there have been video games, there have been sequels and games that are derivative of other games.

Creating something unique is risky business. When a company creates a new game it could become a success... or a horrible failure.

But even if you look at the sequels, they are not entirely lacking in originality.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

It's gotta be very hard to come up with original ideas. Every time I hear someone ask this, I challenge them to come up with something original of their own.

After the millions of books, movies, and games that are in exisitence now, it's gotta be a heck of a task to come up with something that no one has already done.

earlaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 earlaps
Member since 2008 • 221 Posts
I think that the game makers would have tons of new and original games if they figured out how to make niche games popular. For example, a million people might want to buy a mountain climbing sim (Yes!!) but if the makers need ten million sales to break even they are not going to make that game. There is no shortage of good ideas, just a shortage of evidence that the general public is going to buy new games in massive amounts necessary to allow the maker to survive. I also think this factor prevents us from seeing more adult (yes I mean R-not X-rated sex) video games or more games about relationships that might appeal to girls.
Avatar image for Uberbadassmufuh
Uberbadassmufuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Uberbadassmufuh
Member since 2004 • 1006 Posts

There's no shortage of original ideas out there, but instead a shortage of investors who want to have anything to do with them. Sequels and clones are safe.

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
It is not necessarily lack of new ideas, but business. I mean, they keep releasing sequels just to sell without much effort.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

It is not necessarily lack of new ideas, but business. I mean, they keep releasing sequels just to sell without much effort.Thiago26792

Says the guy with Mario, Metroid, Medal of Honor, and Zelda games all featured in his sig!

See, that's the thing. People claim they want original stuff, but when it actually comes along, nobody buys it. If it does sell well, then those same people who loved it because of how original it was will want a sequel, and if it goes on long enough, those games will once again be lumped in with all the unoriginal games.

Seriously, every time somebody says they want Psychonauts 2, a piece of brain kills itself.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
[QUOTE="Thiago26792"]It is not necessarily lack of new ideas, but business. I mean, they keep releasing sequels just to sell without much effort.AtomicTangerine

Says the guy with Mario, Metroid, Medal of Honor, and Zelda games all featured in his sig!

For what it's worth, he never said it's a bad thing.