Jeff's Termination Discussion Thread - Please Keep ALL Related Discussion Here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mooshu92887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 Mooshu92887
Member since 2003 • 472 Posts

I apologise for making a post in the general discussion forums about this, as I didn't know I was suposed to make it here instead.

But yeah, I'll keep this short: Im leaving, my reasons for leaving go beyond just the termination of Jeff though that certainly plays a large part of it.

I respect anyone who decides to stay with Gamespot and I certainly hope things get better here.

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#252 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
I've been reading these threads about Jeff's termination for awhile now, but this is actually my first post about it. I find it a little unnerving that Jeff was fired because of a review (if this is true, but it seems very likely), as I'm sure everyone else does. If the real reason for his termination is kept in the shadows, everyone on the outside will question the bigwigs who run this joint like it's some sort of Government conspiracy. I'll still go to Gamespot regularly, hoping to hear some sort of response from the other editors about this, even though I'm still disappointed by it. Anyway, I hope for the best for the future of Gamespot, since I've visited the site for many years.
darkjedi_66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#253 darkjedi_66
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Gamespot...

Jeff was the only good thing you had, he's been here since the start. how could you do this? hope this site goes down in flames. Im leaving, thanks for the entertainment over the years Jeff! I wish you the best.

Smo17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 Smo17
Member since 2005 • 130 Posts

not sure if this was posted already, but heres an article that claims that ad companies asked for him (the author of the article) to be fired after writing something they were mad about. I guess this may be fairly commonplace and makes this whole situation even more plausible.

http://razorwire.warcry.com/news/view/79467-Jeff-Gertsmann-Martyr-or-Moron

AstraNoString

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 AstraNoString
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts

I have always come to gamespot for reviews, becasue I knew that I would always get a fair and honest openion about a game. It saddens me to think that I can no longer trust any game reviewed on this site, becasue advertising dollars may have swayed the decision of the games rating.

Jeff has always been my favorite editor on this site. I can only hope that his reasons for termination were honest, and not becasue Jeff was doing his job and reviewing a poor game as it is.

beanj007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#256 beanj007
Member since 2004 • 522 Posts

I've been the a paid subscriber since 2004, and always came to this site as a source for legitimate and honest game reviews. Gamespot, you have lost all credibility in one stupid move. I hope this costs you 10 times what the lost advertisting would've... and I have a feeling that it will. Do you not realize how fickle a place the Internet is? If you cannot be trusted, the readers will go elsewhere. Now, every single time a game is reviewed, your readers are wondering if that score is inflated or the review is false because you have financial stake in the game via advertisers. Gamespot can no longer be trusted. Luckily for us readers... there are alternatives. Off to become an IGN Insider!

For those of you who are sticking around... may I suggest Firefox and the Adblock Plus add-in so you don't even have to view the full page ads Gamespot is willing to fire their employees over?

DiabolicalX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#257 DiabolicalX
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts

Jeff's termination has left me incredibly saddened, I was close to crying today when I found out how and why the best thing on Gamespot had been removed. Gamespot has lost its integrity, its honour and has nearly destroyed any freedom this sites reviewers once had. Josh Larson is now to be seen by me, as a facist dictator, who censors his people.

I have the full story of his termination on my blog.

FreyarHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#258 FreyarHunter
Member since 2003 • 2098 Posts
Guys.. keep in mind the other editors are still honest themselves. Why do you think there was a relative "lack of action" today? Don't get me wrong, they do a lot of hard work, and even moreso with the financial departments looking over their shoulders.
Mooshu92887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Mooshu92887

Guys.. keep in mind the other editors are still honest themselves. Why do you think there was a relative "lack of action" today? Don't get me wrong, they do a lot of hard work, and even moreso with the financial departments looking over their shoulders.FreyarHunter

You're right Freyar, I'll still pop in to check up on Gamespot from time to time.

But yeah, for the most part my involvement with this site is done.

jetriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 jetriot
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts
I have been an avid gamespotter since gamespot was dedicated to PC games. Good luck getting my patronage now. Im blocking all cnet sights via firewall from this day forth. Jeff was the best gamespot had to offer and he was fired for it. I hope many others follow suit and cnet sees what happens when you put greed before ethics.
FreyarHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 FreyarHunter

I have been an avid gamespotter since gamespot was dedicated to PC games. Good luck getting my patronage now. Im blocking all cnet sights via firewall from this day forth. Jeff was the best gamespot had to offer and he was fired for it. I hope many others follow suit and cnet sees what happens when you put greed before ethics.jetriot

And yet you penalize all the honest people too.

*mono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#262 *mono
Member since 2002 • 2497 Posts
I just heard about this and I have to say I'm glad I finally canceled my premium membership. I used to be able to trust this site for reviews but after a firing of a trusted and seasoned editor to cow-tow to corporate bullies I now know that this site's recommendations are the best money can buy. Thank you Gamespot corporate big wigs for turning this site into a joke. Enjoy counting those advertising dollars because you'll not be getting anymore of mine.
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts
Whether or not it's a "good" review, or you do or don't agree with it, if there's any interference or influence from Sales on editorial content then there's really only one conclusion: there is then absolutely no reason whatsoever to pay any attention to the opinions or reviews of that entity. If their content and opinion is driven by who is paying them (or not paying them) then they have nothing to tell you that you need to hear. Nothing.
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#264 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

Guys.. keep in mind the other editors are still honest themselves. Why do you think there was a relative "lack of action" today? Don't get me wrong, they do a lot of hard work, and even moreso with the financial departments looking over their shoulders.FreyarHunter
What would you do in their shoes? Given that all of the rumours are true about Jeffs departure from Gamespot.

jetriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 jetriot

FreyarHunter

Indeed I do. If my company did something so outrageous I would quit then and there. Those that worked for hitler were just as bad as hitler himself.

beanj007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#266 beanj007
Member since 2004 • 522 Posts

I'm sure the editors themselves are honest... but we simply don't believe that the management responsible for Jeff's termination are. We also don't believe that the reviews will not be fake either due to the editors being afraid to give a big game a poor review in fear of being "Kane & Lynched", or due to the review score simply being doctored when being posted.

It's clear Gamespot values advertisting dollars over honesty. That's just not something you can allow, or the whole process of reviewing a game is pointless. You may as well let the publisher review the game themselves.

ParadiseDecay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 ParadiseDecay
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Gamespot has just confirmed it's now a 'cash for honours' site, so sadly I'll be removing it from my favourites links. You cannot be trusted anymore, you've let the corporate bullies dictate how games should be reviewed and you've just lost all your credibility. You should be ashamed of yourselves. After 4 years of daily visits I'm now off to better pastures. Its ok all this advertising, but without visitors it doesn't mean a thing!
Mooshu92887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Mooshu92887

Well one thing people need to stop saying is that all the remaining editors should quit over this. Some, no doubt, believe they can still contribute a lot to this site by staying, and I respect that. Also, getting a job after quitting wouldn't be an easy task for most, so you gotta understand why they would be unwilling in that respect.

However, although I dont expect anyone to do it automatically, anyone who decides to quit over this has my upmost respect.

AstraNoString

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 AstraNoString
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
Do you honestly think the other editors the still work at this site will give a bad game the rating it diserves after this. You can bet the other editors on this site are scared enough to not give a game a poor review if the publisher is throwing Gamespot money.
Mooshu92887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Mooshu92887

Indeed I do. If my company did something so outrageous I would quit then and there. Those that worked for hitler were just as bad as hitler himself.

jetriot

Are you friggen serious? I KNOW you didnt just compare the gamespot staff to the nazis... You are a heartless little moron.

Smo17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Smo17
Member since 2005 • 130 Posts
[QUOTE="FreyarHunter"]

jetriot

Don't ever make a comparison like that. That's just a horribly ignorant comment.

jetriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 jetriot
Obviously comparing apples to oranges here. My point being that the staff under the current management team is forced to abide by their rules. Whether or not they are sell outs or not, the management is and they will sell out to appease their masters and keep their jobs. It is a tough market to find a job in but staying means they will never be allowed to be true journalists or critics.
DiabolicalX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 DiabolicalX

we understand that gamespot staff are still hardworking gamers, it's just that they would have to be scared with the way jeff was fired. And jeff was one of the most charismatic and funny peoples I have ever seen, how could they just terminate someone who has been in the company for about 8 years longer than the new managment?

digitalrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#275 digitalrift
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I have nothing useful to add to the discussion other than to echo everyone else's disbelief and to throw my hat in the ring of those who have terminated their subscriptions.

My best wishes to Jeff in his future endeavours.

DiabolicalX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 DiabolicalX
If things end up going my way, hopefully Jeff will end up being on the dev team for a game that Gamespot advertise, that would be ironic enough.
jetriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 jetriot
I hope Jeff steals some of the staff from Gamespot and sets up his own review site. That is a place I would be all over. Peace out forever gamespot.
jbfunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 jbfunky
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Jeff made the podcast.

Kumar_Shah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Kumar_Shah
Member since 2002 • 75 Posts
They hired a marketing executive to on their Editorial Staff, this was a consequence of that. Gamespot has NO Credibility left what so ever now.
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

I didn't know Jeff and while I read the reviews, I never actually looked at who wrote them. However, my response for this is simple. I'll ignore all Eidos products from hereon. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

But leaving Gamespot is self defeating. A stronger message can be sent out by focussing on the apparent source of this issue.

Stick around and stick together.

8)

hellpikey1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 hellpikey1969
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts

It kinda sucks to see this happen since I JUST paid for my subscription renewal. Ah well at least the download speeds will be moderately useful for demos/patches.

But most importantly of all,best wishes/prayers to Jeff, good luck. While I didn't care for his alleged 'charisma' tbh, I did appreciate his insights/verdicts on games, it's quite upsetting.

I wish the best for gamespot... **** they'll need it.While I am holding my overall judgement until the next big title review, but I still remain skeptical and (quite shockingly to myself) pissed off.

I am off to 1up, I enjoyed their podcasts for a while anyway.

Rodius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 Rodius
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Does anyone know if Jeff has a PayPal account I could send him some money thru? Or an Amazon.com WishList? Just wana show him some money-love, I realize the PayPal request could be shady on my part lol

ben E.

Gazimaluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Gazimaluke
Member since 2005 • 289 Posts

Without Greg, Rich and now finnaly Jeff, Gamespot is nothing over the ordinary. RIP Gamespot. I Hope Jeff and other GS staff starts a new site and Ill gladly hang around it. But Gamespot isnt anything for me anymore, no more money for my subscribtion.

And remember that 6.0 is a great score for Kane & Lynch if you look around on other sites.

GO JEFF!

solidgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 solidgamer
Member since 2005 • 7542 Posts

guys has anyone notice that they have taken the video review down and that they have disabled the user reviews

http://uk.gamespot.com/error/knl_review.html

check

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#287 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
That post by Greg really sums it up. I hope Jeff gets to give a fond farewell to everyone next week.
Teet-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#288 Teet-O
Member since 2007 • 111 Posts
Dang, this sucks. Jeff was basically one of the only reasons I watched On the Spot and listened to The Hotspot. Hope everything turns out well for him, farewell Jeff gertsmann.
soldier091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 soldier091
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

I remember when I used to think GameSpot was the only worthwhile game review site out there. I always saw IGN, 1UP and G4 as the more "corporate" game journalism outlets, and I wasn't quick to trust them. But GameSpot, to me, felt sort of like a reliable niche where I could get an honest review. I always respected this site's integrity.

But no more. As an aspiring journalist, this disgusts me. I'm actually rethinking my profession. I don't know if I can take critical journalism seriously anymore. And I definitely CAN'T take anything this particular site says seriously anymore.

And so ends my love affair with GameSpot. I was actually going to subscribe next week, but there's no way in hell that's happening now. I probably won't come back here at all.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I was never a member of the Jeff G. fanclub (I normally skipped his reviews, to tell the truth), but his being fired for the tone of his review of a garbage game is ridiculous. I watched the video review (5 seconds ago) and his review seemed perfectly professional and none of the points he made are out of line with the points other reviewers have made so they are probably true.

I would announce that I am boycotting Eidos, but I haven't bought an Eidos game since the PS1 so lets just say I'll keep on ignoring them. As for GS, they have been losing credibility over time and this incident just seals the deal.

embedded_c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 embedded_c
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Bye Gamespot! Hopefully Jeff and the gang can start a new independent website (hey, I can dream right?). I really enjoy all the content the editors put out here, but this aggression will not stand, man....

Fly that flag, etc etc

(Pie > Cake)

johnchandos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 johnchandos
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

I'm not a forum regular or anything, I just heard all about the issue on the Penny Arcade blog. I have no idea who Jeff is, honestly, as I rarely pay attention to reviewer names. I'm kinda naive perhaps in thinking that all reviewers do their job ethically and they deliver just what they promise: meaningful advice and assistance in purchase decisions for consumer products.

So looking at things from that angle, I can say that Gamespot's reputation has gone down the drain for me after this news. I was under the impression that, in business terms, the value offered by Gamespot was objectivity in assessing the value of games. Obviously I was mistaken as their value proposal seems to be serving the goals of whatever corporation is paying the ad money, to the point of firing employees at the whim of corporate tantrums.

I doubt anyone from Gamespot will bother to read this thread in its entirety but if any of them comes across this post, here is the moral of the story: You have no credibility anymore. Nice job.

d3c1m8r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 d3c1m8r
Member since 2004 • 528 Posts

I didn't know Jeff and while I read the reviews, I never actually looked at who wrote them. However, my response for this is simple. I'll ignore all Eidos products from hereon. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

But leaving Gamespot is self defeating. A stronger message can be sent out by focussing on the apparent source of this issue.

Stick around and stick together.

8)

nightharvest

How is leaving "self defeating". By leaving they no longer get hits. Hits = Advertising money. They also don't get my subscription money.

Everyone should leave. Let them [C|NET / Gamespot]play with themselves on an empty site.

FreyarHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 FreyarHunter

I'm not a forum regular or anything, I just heard all about the issue on the Penny Arcade blog. I have no idea who Jeff is, honestly, as I rarely pay attention to reviewer names. I'm kinda naive perhaps in thinking that all reviewers do their job ethically and they deliver just what they promise: meaningful advice and assistance in purchase decisions for consumer products.

So looking at things from that angle, I can say that Gamespot's reputation has gone down the drain for me after this news. I was under the impression that, in business terms, the value offered by Gamespot was objectivity in assessing the value of games. Obviously I was mistaken as their value proposal seems to be serving the goals of whatever corporation is paying the ad money, to the point of firing employees at the whim of corporate tantrums.

I doubt anyone from Gamespot will bother to read this thread in its entirety but if any of them comes across this post, here is the moral of the story: You have no credibility anymore. Nice job.

johnchandos

What about the rest of the reviewers? Jeff seems like a scapegoat, not a sole beacon of awesome-truth.

mikeymyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#296 mikeymyer
Member since 2003 • 1020 Posts
So the rest of the GS staff should be on strike or something?
Zargooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 Zargooon
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

in my opinion, it may not matter but this is what i think.

for me, jeff has always been gamespot, i always came here for reviews... done by jeff, for pretty much every game.

as much as jeff was gamespot, gamespot it nothing without him, this site doesnt exist anymore. huh? where am i?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#298 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
It appears the staff have said what they can about this issue. I really feel for these guys. It's like they're being dragged through the dirt by a car. :( Aaron ThomasKevin Van OrdBob ColaycoCarrie GouskosGreg KasavinBethany MassimillaAlex NavarroStanley LucasRich GallupMatt RorieAdam BroadyVincent LamTim Tracy
FreyarHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 FreyarHunter

So the rest of the GS staff should be on strike or something?mikeymyer

Judging from the rumors they're afraid to write.. I can understand that.

in my opinion, it may not matter but this is what i think.

for me, jeff has always been gamespot, i always came here for reviews... done by jeff, for pretty much every game.

as much as jeff was gamespot, gamespot it nothing without him, this site doesnt exist anymore. huh? where am i?

Zargooon

Fine, get out out of here. It's not like you aren't repeating every single other person that's even poked their head. It seems to be such a waste of time to just say "I'm leaving." Save electricity and just go if that's your wish.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#300 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

You know those little links to other CNET sites that you see under your user bar.

I just saw one that said "ON TechRepublic: 10 things to do if you are laid off" Just perfect. :lol:

dvader654

:lol:

No, I'm not stalking you.