Is The Way Booth Babes Are Treated Wrong?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

North64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 North64
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hey guys, I've been looking into what the general thoughts are of people on the subject of 'booth babes'. After seeing a number of arguments about sexism and how they are treated like objects i can across a different argument. It concerns peoples view of the models themselves and how a lot of 'gamers' have tended to blame them rather than the company who employ and dress them. I think people tend to forget that the booth babes them self are just making a living and doing a job. To aim criticism at them and blame them for their presence at expo seems a bit odd to me. Surely people should complain about the company employing them? I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts on this. For anyone wanting to read the article i was talking about it can be found here: http://gamereuphoria.com/2012/11/booth-babes-are-people-too-in-defence-of-people-doing-their-job/ There are some points i disagree with but for most part it seems like a valid outlook, what do you guys think on the topic?
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
I don't get what we should complain about, they are the ones who chose the job and it seems safe. It's not like they are forced into the occupation plus I don't think they company is selling them to the nerdy gamers who walk into the booth :P I don't particularly care for them as I'd rather be looking at my significant other anywho but why not, I mean if I could make tons of money just by wearing an outfit and representing a game I think I'd take it :P Are they treated bad? Perhaps by the guys that walk in but honestly I expect that with guys anywhere :lol: It must bring some attention to or else they wouldn't continue to hire these models. I mean the games pumped out regularly are horrid so these companies need attention somehow yes? :P
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Well they know what they are signing up for. I don't think this is the biggest worry of sexism. You got whole other issues with magazines, models, etc being made to look one way and treat women way worse. I would go out on a limb and say that some Booth babes may even like their jobs. It's not like everyone they met is a total idiot
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

They have to know what they are getting into dressing up in skimpy clothes and parading around in front of a bunch of nerds right? The are not slaves. There are other jobs out there.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

lol the girls know what kind of job it is

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I'm way more ashamed of those guys who go to a gaming convention for the booth babes :/

Only thing that annoys me about the babes is that you can't walk three steps without anyone trying to push crap in your hands. But that ain't there fault either.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I find it funny how he expects us to visit his advertisement link and discuss it over there when it's so easy to discuss it, right here.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Someone is desperate for page hits.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

to be honest, i wasn't aware of the constant strife of the booth babe. i know plenty of people roll their eyes at the idea of using models to promote games, but it's generally not at the models. i don't think the article gave much for concrete examples and i often found myself thinking "what exactly am i supposed to be outraged at?"

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

They know what they are getting into when they apply for the job. They are applying for a job based on how they look. Probably cuz they can't serve, can't act, or like being looked at.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Booth babes are too stupid to know what they gotten into is a bit sexist.

How about we respect them as females with at least common intelligence? In fact, I say they are the most knowledgeable when it comes to how Booth babes are treated.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Sometimes sure, just like with any other job. Being groped or harassed is wrong. It's not wrong for people to look at people who are paid to have people look at them. It's not like there's a booth babe pimp that's going to kill them if they don't perform well.
North64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 North64
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Someone is desperate for page hits.skrat_01
I'm not affiliated with the site, i only posted the link purely in case anyone was unsure at what i was getting at. Or indeed if people disagreed with the point made. Surely if i was trying to gain them hits i would of posted on Reddit or N4G or the like?
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Eh, they knew what they signed up for, although I would rather have people treat them better than just cynical scorn, including me.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

They know what they are getting into when they apply for the job. They are applying for a job based on how they look. Probably cuz they can't serve, can't act, or like being looked at.

SouL-Tak3R
Or maybe they're just models who are looking for their big break.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
As long as women sell themselves out to be paraded around in skimpy outfits they have no right to complain about gender objectification. You can't have it both ways ladies.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
They know what they're getting into when they take the job, so they really can't complain. I'm not going to say I don't like looking at them, but I find more fault with the people that employ them as a marketing device. I can honestly say that an attractive woman dressed in a skimpy, vaguely game-related outfit has never influenced my purchasing decisions. You shouldn't have to hire big breasted models to sell your product. Your product should be able to sell itself. Ultimately, I'd love to go to a game convention sometime, but I think I'd feel a little too embarrassed to bring my wife along.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]Someone is desperate for page hits.North64
I'm not affiliated with the site, i only posted the link purely in case anyone was unsure at what i was getting at. Or indeed if people disagreed with the point made. Surely if i was trying to gain them hits i would of posted on Reddit or N4G or the like?

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if that did happen.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

They get paid for it and make the choice themselves, go look at the babes in formula 1 racing that's much worse tbh :\

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts

They get paid for it and make the choice themselves, go look at the babes in formula 1 racing that's much worse tbh :\

PetJel
or strippers....
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
They're whores and should be treated accordingly. If they didn't want to be ogled and objectified, they should have made better career choices. For them to complain - or anyone to complain on their behalf - that they have to endure rampant sexism makes about as much sense as those costume-wearing Disney mascots in the theme parks to complain about all the damn kids wanting to hug them and climb on them and have their pictures taken with them. It's part of the job, the job you're being paid to do. Don't like it? Either quit and look into becoming a dental hygienist assistant or suck it the f*ck up, smile for the camera, and collect your friggin' paycheck. That said, there are certainly limits. For example, I don't think booth babes should have to just accept that sleazy sex-starved goobers might want to grope them. They're definitely not being paid for that and being molested unquestionably crosses the line. But being subjected to inappropriate, disgusting sexual comments? Meh. Kinda goes with the territory. You're dealing with the public and there are always going to be abusive, disrespectful knobs who make your job an insufferable, nightmarish hell - and that's true of any job dealing with the public, whether you're a scantily clad booth babe or blue-shirt-khaki-pants wage slave. Though, booth babes are more likely to be subjected to crude, juvenile antics given that they're scantily clad and/or overly sexualized eye candy. You should really have a thick skin or consider another line of work. Of course, if it's the same person harassing the women for hours, as opposed to just a vile but brief exchange, to the point where it's interfering with their job, then someone really ought to step in...and throw that douchebag a beatin'. Also, I'd like to say that I'd be just as apathetic to male 'booth babes' who whined about sexism or sexual harassment. Some dude dressed as Kratos having the bulge of his loincloth ogled or middle-aged fat chicks posing for a photo with him and whispering, "I'd love to lick the ashes of your dead family off your nipples," feels objectified? Ezio feeling defiled by crass, skanky college chicks asking him to slip his hidden blade into them from behind? Same advice: unless someone is trying to grab your junk, suck it up and deal.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Booth Babes love the attention, plus some of them actually make a decent chunk of $$

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#23 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

They're whores and should be treated accordingly. If they didn't want to be ogled and objectified, they should have made better career choices. For them to complain - or anyone to complain on their behalf - that they have to endure rampant sexism makes about as much sense as those costume-wearing Disney mascots in the theme parks to complain about all the damn kids wanting to hug them and climb on them and have their pictures taken with them. It's part of the job, the job you're being paid to do. Don't like it? Either quit and look into becoming a dental hygienist assistant or suck it the f*ck up, smile for the camera, and collect your friggin' paycheck. That said, there are certainly limits. For example, I don't think booth babes should have to just accept that sleazy sex-starved goobers might want to grope them. They're definitely not being paid for that and being molested unquestionably crosses the line. But being subjected to inappropriate, disgusting sexual comments? Meh. Kinda goes with the territory. You're dealing with the public and there are always going to be abusive, disrespectful knobs who make your job an insufferable, nightmarish hell - and that's true of any job dealing with the public, whether you're a scantily clad booth babe or blue-shirt-khaki-pants wage slave. Though, booth babes are more likely to be subjected to crude, juvenile antics given that they're scantily clad and/or overly sexualized eye candy. You should really have a thick skin or consider another line of work. Of course, if it's the same person harassing the women for hours, as opposed to just a vile but brief exchange, to the point where it's interfering with their job, then someone really ought to step in...and throw that douchebag a beatin'. Also, I'd like to say that I'd be just as apathetic to male 'booth babes' who whined about sexism or sexual harassment. Some dude dressed as Kratos having the bulge of his loincloth ogled or middle-aged fat chicks posing for a photo with him and whispering, "I'd love to lick the ashes of your dead family off your nipples," feels objectified? Ezio feeling defiled by crass, skanky college chicks asking him to slip his hidden blade into them from behind? Same advice: unless someone is trying to grab your junk, suck it up and deal.thedarklinglord

Stopped reading there:lol:

A whore is someone who has sex with someone else for money. Booth babes just stand there in skimpy outfits and look cute. They don't suck d!ck to get people to come over to booths. Are you really saying that we should treat them like prostitutes? Dear lord, do you hear that sound? Its the sound of my brain cells screaming and dying.

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

I'm a male but if I was an attractive female and they paid me to stand around in a skimpy outfit at a gaming expo I'd do it.... Easiest job in the world. Plus I doubt people disrespect or treat them poorly. If they are treated poorly it's on them no one is forcing them to work as a booth babe.