Is Sonic more popular than Mario?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gloryfinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gloryfinder
Member since 2008 • 423 Posts

Article:http://www.examiner.com/x-55715-Seattle-Nintendo-Examiner~y2010m7d19-Is-Sonic-more-popular-than-Mario

While many people (including myself) have thought Mario was one of the most popular characters, I've never denied that a lot of people like Sonic too. The article provides some data to back up Sonic's popularity. If Sega can someday get themselves on the right track again by bringing out higher quality Sonic games, someday he may take the top spot. I thought it was interesting that Sonic beat Mario (24% to 21%) in one of the polls mentioned in the article.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
I hate sonic now. His older games were fun, but the new ones suck so bad! Unlike mario who has great games all the time.
TGM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TGM_basic
Member since 2003 • 6299 Posts

I'm a huge Sonic fan. That said, I highly doubt he's now, or ever has been, more popular than Mario.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I think Sonic as a character is extremely popular, its just that alot of his recent games havent been so good.

I mean, there was a point during the 90s where sonic was just as big a name as mario was.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

I think Sonic as a character is extremely popular, its just that alot of his recent games havent been so good.

I mean, there was a point during the 90s where sonic was just as big a name as mario was.

Darkman2007
Pretty much this. It's not so much that his games are great, as he's extremely iconic. Mario, on the other hand, has been an extremely polished franchise since his inception. To be perfectly honest, I would take Sonic over Mario, if I had to choose between the two, but as tired as I am of seeing Mario games, Sonic can't boast 10m+ sales figures for any title, while Mario can do that easily.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Sonic is more popular as a character. Mario is more popular as a video game series. Pretty cut and dry. Sonic has had four animated television shows, countless best-selling comic books, plush toys, amateur game expositions, etc. Sonic is easier for people to identify with, because his character has been developed a lot further than Mario's has.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I believe Keith from Talking Classics will convince you that yes Sonic is better cause he was made by Sega!
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
If the data were based on game sales, Sonic's "popularity" would be nowhere close to that of mario.