Is Gamespot's Jess McDonnell A Real Gamer or Just a Poser?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dujubear
Member since 2013 • 104 Posts

Is that hottie a real gamer or just a poser hired by Gamespot to put more traffic from young males(mostly virgins)?

Just wondering how a hottie like that can be a gamer, most female gamers in my country are either chubby or ugly. Sigh.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

she just reports news things, i doubt shes much into games as the reviewers on the site here are. I've seen her on other gamespot videos when she doesn't have a script to follow and she seems pretty clueless about everything, so I doubt she knows whats going on unless shes got something to read.

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dujubear

Damn, so just another pretty face pretending to be part of the gaming world? Oh well.

Oh and mirin your join date man!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

IDK but she's hotter than fresh dog shit. But I don't see a reason she can't be a "real gamer."

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#5  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

She does play games.

I have her as friends on Steam as she used to have a small time role for the GS Australia branch but seems to have gotten some promotion to do video features after the GS overhaul.

She has serious hours logged and has been running a games blog before working for gamespot. She has got 123 hours of Skyrim as her most played. Seems to like point & click adventure games and Indie games alot.

I dont think we should automatically assume someone doesnt play games based on looks. Gaming is a big deal now that all types of people engage in. Really, as an Australian myself, she just looks like a typical young healthy Australian woman that happens to play games.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't think it's crazy to think that she has her own segment on here just because she's a mildly attractive female, but I don't think anyone who is that involved in something related to gaming wouldn't themselves be a gamer, at least to an extent. And the previous comment does seem to confirm that she does in fact actively game. So, in conclusion, yes. Girls play games, even some that happen to be attractive.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@dujubear said:

Is that hottie a real gamer or just a poser hired by Gamespot to put more traffic from young males(mostly virgins)?

Just wondering how a hottie like that can be a gamer, most female gamers in my country are either chubby or ugly. Sigh.

Just think that no matter what that "hottie" is she is and always will be out of your reach and all you can do is have wet dreams....

So i kinda feel a bit sorry for you.

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dujubear

@Jacanuk said:

@dujubear said:

Just think that no matter what that "hottie" is she is and always will be out of your reach and all you can do is have wet dreams....

So i kinda feel a bit sorry for you.

You and I both. So feel sorry for yourself as well.

FatalScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By FatalScorpion
Member since 2014 • 710 Posts

I think she's ugly.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

She does quite a few vids of her playing games on the GS twitch so she definitely plays games (on occasion at least).

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

After 3 years of school that focused on technology and 3 years of university studies of computer science I can confirm this is how the majority of the typical gaming girl (except they tend to be more red haired) look. Hot, bit petite, often red haired, Other traits include being quirky and contrary to what might be popular belief, extremely outgoing and social.

Actually now that I think about it, that describes a lot of girls hah but the point is, I googled her and I could just instantly go "yeah that's a typical gamer girl". There's something about gamer girls that makes you instantly recognize them. Like they radiate some kind of Gamer Girl aura...

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts
@dujubear said:

I could have never expressed it better.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I dunno. See looks, dresses, talks and enunciates exactly like most women I know who play games. She's about as close to the typical female gamer as you can get :S At least in my circles.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts
@illmatic87 said:

She does play games.

I have her as friends on Steam as she used to have a small time role for the GS Australia branch but seems to have gotten some promotion to do video features after the GS overhaul.

She has serious hours logged and has been running a games blog before working for gamespot. She has got 123 hours of Skyrim as her most played. Seems to like point & click adventure games and Indie games alot.

I dont think we should automatically assume someone doesnt play games based on looks. Gaming is a big deal now that all types of people engage in. Really, as an Australian myself, she just looks like a typical young healthy Australian woman that happens to play games.

^^^^^^^The answer.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@jeager_titan said:

Actually she is a gamer. Read her blogs if you want clarification. Also for the sake of stereotyping I have to say she always looks so pale which falls into the gamer category. :P

Of course Jess is a gamer, she was the one who despite having noone else to back her up took 24hours of charity streaming awhile back and singlehandedly made Gamespot hit their target.

This is a troll topic because who cares what label someone puts on her after that 24h stream she showed she has commitment and dedication and she is one of the few really great staff members in gamespot.

marlobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 marlobc
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

Naomi kyle , Jessica chobot , jess etc , websites hire pretty girls for views , but that does not mean that she is a poser . This is a stupid question .

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#18 VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

@dujubear said:

Why a gaming girl is supposed to be unattractive and a gaming guy not? There is no logic in this...

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Topic is definitely in the creepy territory.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

If you guys think she is hot, you don't know what good looking is. She is an average looking girl, that just reads off a teleprompter. She's not an editor, and does nothing else on the site. Pretty much useless, really. They should let the actual staff do that stuff.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

This is just horrible and you are a horrible person.

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dujubear
@Jacanuk said:

This is a troll topic because who cares what label someone puts on her after that 24h stream she showed she has commitment and dedication and she is one of the few really great staff members in gamespot.

So just cuz Im wondering(thats why Im asking in the first place), its a troll topic? lol. Unlike you, Im not familiar with all her doings here, and def. didnt know about the 24 hours stream.

@commonfate said:

Topic is definitely in the creepy territory.

Might be, but Ive seen a lot of gamer girls who are posers, cuz their bfs are gamers or cuz its talked about here and there(usually DotA), but when you see them play, they dont know shit, or just play 1 game in a week and then consider themselves gamers. The gamer girls who are dedicated are usually ugly/chubby IN MY COUNTRY, that is why Im wondering.

@VintAge68 said:

Why a gaming girl is supposed to be unattractive and a gaming guy not? There is no logic in this...

1. This is not about "gaming guys", I never even mentioned guys, cuz Im not gay.

2. I never said a gaming girl is supposed to be unattractive, see what I typed above. All attractive girls I know have other things in mind than gaming. So just wondering if shes just another one of those posers.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Eye candy with a bad accent.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

How can you call someone's natural voice a bad accent, exactly?

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VintAge68

@dujubear said:
@VintAge68 said:

1. This is not about "gaming guys", I never even mentioned guys, cuz Im not gay.

2. I never said a gaming girl is supposed to be unattractive, see what I typed above. All attractive girls I know have other things in mind than gaming. So just wondering if shes just another one of those posers.

It is *also* about gaming guys--gay or not--since as regards a guy people would never think he was no "real" gamer just for being attractive, so why so as to a girl.

"Attractive girls have other things in mind than gaming" --that's just another one of your sexist tropes, I guess. Besides, there are also unattractive female non-gamers...

BravoOneActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#26 BravoOneActual
Member since 2010 • 799 Posts

I've read the topic and skimmed some answers.

I will try to be constructive, because I think you've made an interesting observation and I sense you're genuine.

Yes, I think Jess is a "true gamer", whatever that may be. I do, however, observe GS is now hiring actual on-camera talent and Jess clearly has some kind of training in that realm. Lisa Foiles has been professional on-camera talent for some time now and I think she's truly GS's first "hired gun".

I get the sense Jess is cutting her teeth here and Lisa was brought in as another step in the Gamespot Video Revolution.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Gonna go out on a limb and say she is a gamer--heard she was the reviews editor in chief.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Bigboi500 said:

How can you call someone's natural voice a bad accent, exactly?

Actually I thought she was attractive until she opened her mouth and started speaking.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

She comes across pretty geeky and nerdy at times in just small traits, she could be fake who knows, but unlikely, most these days nearly everyone has a slight interest in geeky pop culture anyway.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

@dujubear said:

Whilst it is true that most gamer girls are a bit chubby/ugly, there's definitely a crowd that isnt, they exist dude

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dujubear

@VintAge68 said:

It is *also* about gaming guys--gay or not--since as regards a guy people would never think he was no "real" gamer just for being attractive, so why so as to a girl.

"Attractive girls have other things in mind than gaming" --that's just another one of your sexist tropes, I guess. Besides, there are also unattractive female non-gamers...

Stop stirring trouble. You accuse me of being sexist, quoted me for proof, yet you took away two words in the middle of my sentence - I said "All attractive girls I know have other things in mind than gaming"... yet you removed the "I KNOW" for obvious reasons. To gain sympathy and rile up people against me. Im sexist cuz all the attractive girls I know dont game and I state it here?

You also ignored my main post, when I said MOST female gamers IN MY COUNTRY. You make it sound like I said ALL and EVERYWHERE.

Unattractive female non-gamers? Sure. But lets be real, guys would prefer attractive gaming girls than non attractive ones. lol. Thats why Im asking if McDonnell is a gamer or not. And even several here agrees most girls who play games are usually ugly/out of shape. Im sure most girls will prefer a hot gamer guy than an ugly one. Just that it wasnt in the topic(cuz again Im not interested in guys), so "OH NO, its sexist!"!

LOL! So passive aggressive and butthurt.

@mesomorphin - yeah I know. Most are ugly/out of shape, and that hot ones exist, but rare. Hence Im wondering about McDonnell.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By VintAge68

@dujubear said:

@VintAge68 said:

Stop stirring trouble. You accuse me of being sexist, quoted me for proof, yet you took away two words in the middle of my sentence - I said "All attractive girls I know have other things in mind than gaming"... yet you removed the "I KNOW" for obvious reasons. To gain sympathy and rile up people against me. Im sexist cuz all the attractive girls I know dont game and I state it here?

You also ignored my main post, when I said MOST female gamers IN MY COUNTRY. You make it sound like I said ALL and EVERYWHERE.

You make your post sound overgeneralizing, perhaps you didn't notice. It becomes a general topic through the way you are treating it: no one has ever asked this question as regards any male gamer posing photogenically in GS, I bet. So your gaming doubts come only from her being female *and* attractive, US American or not, which is both sexist and generalizing. However, I am not rallying anybody against you, you posted your topic in a public forum so you must count with other people expressing their opinion thereon. I for one am content that GS does at least consider something like a "female quota" with Jess and the likes (in GB they haven't any girls, I guess, not even for decorative purposes).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@dujubear: Every site pretty much has a host that is female that does the news. Nerdist, IGN, Escapist, etc. Does she need to be a gamer? Not really, but i think she is

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

@dujubear: Women play video games. I can't believe I still have to say that, like it's breaking news, in 2014. How is it humanly possible that you can be THIS ignorant?

Consider the following:

(Source)

Go forth, child. Venture out into the world and meet people. Interact with them. Get to know some women. Speak with them. They are not scary. Well, some of them are...

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dujubear

@VintAge68 said:

You make your post sound overgeneralizing, perhaps you didn't notice. It becomes a general topic through the way you are treating it: no one has ever asked this question as regards any male gamer posing photogenically in GS, I bet. So your gaming doubts come only from her being female *and* attractive, US American or not, which is both sexist and generalizing. However, I am not rallying anybody against you, you posted your topic in a public forum so you must count with other people expressing their opinion thereon. I for one am content that GS does at least consider something like a "female quota" with Jess and the likes (in GB they haven't any girls, I guess, not even for decorative purposes).

Deleting words from my sentence then using it to accuse me as sexist, and youre not rallying anyone against me? Why the need to delete 2 important words that without it, will indeed make it look sexist? Opinions are one thing, but accusing me of being sexist by twisting my words are another.

So stop back tracking. I asked if McDonnell is a gamer or not, thats it. You started bumbling about sexism, males, bla bla bla. Im sorry if Im not interested about you, ugly girls, or males. It is about McDonnell period.

@The_Last_Ride said:

@dujubear: Every site pretty much has a host that is female that does the news. Nerdist, IGN, Escapist, etc. Does she need to be a gamer? Not really, but i think she is

Yeah I noticed that. I saw some of her videos, and Im 50/50 if shes a gamer. As someone said, sometimes she comes off as clueless and just doing the motions, thats why Im asking if people knows... its merely out of curiosity, yet others suddenly became butthurt. lol

@Lhomity said:

@dujubear: Women play video games. I can't believe I still have to say that, like it's breaking news, in 2014. How is it humanly possible that you can be THIS ignorant?

Consider the following:

(Source)

Go forth, child. Venture out into the world and meet people. Interact with them. Get to know some women. Speak with them. They are not scary. Well, some of them are...

Strong reading comprehension. LOL! Never did I say there are not much female gamers, I just said I dont know any hot ones. So before you insult and call me ignorant, please read things properly.

And no, I dont need to meet more girls. I work as a video editor/camera man at Cebu IAFT(which serves as a model school too). Lots of hot girls, had my share, but sadly, non gamers(I dont consider playing a few games on one's phone as gamers). Unless you can provide pics to show youre hot, and get to know me, so Ill finally know one. If not, again, please read and understand properly.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VintAge68

@dujubear: I didn't erase words from "your" sentence, just whole phrases, and the technique is called "quotation" and absolutely legitimate. But once again, you shouldn't post "your" (sexist) thread in a public forum if you don't want people to react, but then I believe that sweetening your aggressive stance by repeated "LOLs" you just like being treated that way, that is in the end: taken too seriously...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

How can you possibly comment if she's a gamer or not unless you know her?? It's ridiculous. From what I've seen and read from her, I think she is for sure.

And some people on here are downright nasty. It's pathetic.

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dujubear

@VintAge68 said:

@dujubear: I didn't erase words from "your" sentence, just whole phrases, and the technique is called "quotation" and absolutely legitimate. But once again, you shouldn't post "your" (sexist) thread in a public forum if you don't want people to react, but then I believe that sweetening your aggressive stance by repeated "LOLs" you just like being treated that way, that is in the end: taken too seriously...

Riiight. Quotation - you quoted it word for word, but erasing the 2 important words that without it, will look sexist, so you can accuse me of being one. Wouldnt it be easier to just copy/paste and not erase anything?

Im not aggressive, others disagreed with me, but I didnt even react to them negatively, just you and that other girl who went with personal insults instead of discussing the matter at hand like the others. Then when confronted, will feign innocence then put the blame on me...

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By VintAge68

@dujubear: Thanks: You won't succeed making the girls look the culprits in that matter here... Btw, why not ask Jess McDonell herself?

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@dujubear said:

Who cares? Everybody at GS is a poser. They all receive bribes, while they let freelancers write their reviews. They know nothing about videogames.

@dujubear said:

When you say you're not gay, you're actually gay.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

She isn't that attractive, imo. Or maybe not my type.

But i'm sure she plays atleast a good couple hours of games.

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts
  1. She is a real gamer, a simple bit of research would uncover this fact.
  2. She is attractive to me but I don't see the relevance of such a statement, would being ugly give her more credibility as a gamer?
  3. This thread is basically pointless and has a weird semi stalkerish vibe.
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#43 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Yep, this got 40 posts in a games discussion board x)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@187umKILLAH said:
  2. She is attractive to me but I don't see the relevance of such a statement, would being ugly give her more credibility as a gamer?

Completely agree. This thread is ridiculous and I think a few people on here need to go have a good look at themselves.

dujubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dujubear

@loafofgame said:

Who cares? Everybody at GS is a poser. They all receive bribes, while they let freelancers write their reviews. They know nothing about videogames.

When you say you're not gay, you're actually gay.

I miss Gertsmann and Alex Navarro.
And Im only gay for Randy Orton!

@187umKILLAH said:

Well, I had my doubts cuz as I said, she seem pretty much just going on the motions sometimes. And its not about credibility as a gamer, Im just curious no more no less. Cuz as I said, I never seen a hot gamer girl, atleast not where I came from. Models I work with dont play any games outside ones in their mobile. One heard of Kinect for "dance games". Thats it. lol.

Its like any other thread on other sites talking about this pretty girl or that. Atleast I didnt talk about her boobs/ass as threads about Adraina Lima, Miranda Kerr, etc. are. Just wondering if shes a real gamer.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#46  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

This is just horrible and you are a horrible person.

For once, I'm in agreement with Lulu.

This thread should have been locked sooner.