Government to tax violent video games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bfmv2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bfmv2007
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

Once again, the US Government is planning on taxing violent video games, and obviously hoping to make developers shut down. Anyone think this might actually happen, or will it be shot down like all the other attempts? It's been scientifically proven numerous times already that violent games don't make people violent, or motivate people to commit murder, or crime in general. Is that not good enough? FYI this only applies to the violent games. Non violent games, like the sports games, would not be affected. http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-tax-plan-singles-out-violent-video-game-makers/article/2544733

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Shot down.

Think Sonic Cycle, but with videogame government bills. Someone will come up "Videogames ruining our kids" which sure some merit, but otherwise overblown like any other media, goes to court, doesn't pass through, life moves on.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

It might. I think it's tied into 1 big tax bill that's got a whole bunch of crap. Remember the Affordable Health Care Act? 2000+ pages that no politician read but still managed to vote for it? No politician is going to read this shit.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Who the hell is getting elected to do this in the US?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

The people getting elected aren't the real problem. It's the uninformed poorly educated masses who ultimately decide our leadership.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

The people getting elected aren't the real problem. It's the uninformed poorly educated masses who ultimately decide our leadership.

Either way, it's scary

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Either way, it's scary

sad part is it'll only get worse, much worse.. real freedom hasn't existed in the US for about 20 years now and soon it'll be run by a dictatorship.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

The law is already unconstitutional. The Supreme Court already ruled three years ago that video games fall under First Amendment protection.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@bfmv2007 said:

Once again, the US Government is planning on taxing violent video games, and obviously hoping to make developers shut down. Anyone think this might actually happen, or will it be shot down like all the other attempts? It's been scientifically proven numerous times already that violent games don't make people violent, or motivate people to commit murder, or crime in general. Is that not good enough? FYI this only applies to the violent games. Non violent games, like the sports games, would not be affected. http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-tax-plan-singles-out-violent-video-game-makers/article/2544733

Actually the Government isn't trying to tax games, what they are doing is just remove them from the pool who can get a tax credit, the tax is already and have been there for a long time.

But since the supreme court has already decided that games are to be considered art and therefore under the freedom of speech protection, this move will most likely be seen as state censorship and tossed out if it ever becomes something more then a conservative idea.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

@bfmv2007 said:

"Scientifically proven numerous times...." Care to share this research? I did my dissertation which include video game violence and there are many papers which point towards violence in games can cause a priming of aggression in people. There are some grey areas with games such as Mario where you jump on peoples heads to "kill" something which do little to prime aggression, so its more of a visual priming of violent imagery such as weapons, blood and acts of violence that can cause people to show increased levels of aggression.

There is no evidence to prove let along seriously suggest that playing GTA and murdering people will make you a murderer. However playing those games, being exposed to them and inflicting the actions of murdering & mutilating game characters does have a real effect on people.

There is a horrible amount of ignorance and over defensive play by the majority of both sides of the argument.

My argument to anyone would be. If a game is so separate to how you act in real life, if you were to see someone playing a game that involved the raping of children in the most disgusting way possible, would you allow for the fact that is it is "a game" so it is OK, or would you say that the person playing is allowing the actions of something so disgusting to happen has some reflection upon their personality and mental well being. Personally I would think that there was something wrong with someone wanting to do that.

I know there are some...many blurred lines and areas of grey on the subject and it really deserves a large open debate, but I feel that the simple marking of the subject as either "it does" or "it doesn't" is not correct and damaging.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

They aren't talking about extra tax for violent video games, they're talking about tax relief for games that are developed locally and aren't violent to try encourage development while being popular enough with the public that it passes (it is public money they're talking about using after all).

If anything I'd be more wondering why a booming private industry like US game development needs any sort of public tax relief but either way the folks moaning about this as if it's some sort of extra tax on violent video games to try take away their Gears of War games are just as bad as the "video game violence is bad" clowns.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Last_Ride

@shangtsung7 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Either way, it's scary

sad part is it'll only get worse, much worse.. real freedom hasn't existed in the US for about 20 years now and soon it'll be run by a dictatorship.

It's not run by politicians. It's run by corperations and the 1%

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Actually it's more like people don't really care, out of all the people I've known or worked with, none of them have actually voted or have constantly been a voter. I don't ever plan on to tell we actually have someone worth voting for cause the last 16 years it's always been who's "the lesser piece of crap"

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Ballroompirate said:

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Actually it's more like people don't really care, out of all the people I've known or worked with, none of them have actually voted or have constantly been a voter. I don't ever plan on to tell we actually have someone worth voting for cause the last 16 years it's always been who's "the lesser piece of crap"

I will be honest i was cheering for Obama in 08 here from europe. But after seing what he's accomplished, i have to agree with that

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

video games are violent but movies arent?